Author Topic: BulletForge news (Latest: New user registration disabled)  (Read 58307 times)

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
Re: BulletForge news (Latest: IP Blocking implemented)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 01:38:09 AM »
Standard password salting and hashing. I have no idea what your passwords are.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 12:39:25 AM »
A while back, I implemented unlisted projects and then fixed an issue where search engines were still able to find the unlisted project. Shortly after I made this feature, I knew that it was possible store whatever the hell you wanted and then unlist it so that no one could ever find it. Today, I made it possible for admins (me, lol) to view all unlisted projects for review and promptly discovered that someone uploaded a project called "Hatate's Hentai". Luckily, it is actually a legitimate Danmakufu script and NOT hentai, but it made me realize that I really should keep an eye on this. As such, I'm going to go through all unlisted projects this weekend and all following weekends. If you have something that you shouldn't have, delete it now yourself. If I catch anyone storing shit that shouldn't be there, I'm deleting the entire account without any further warning. I'm not going to host dumb shit for free.

In lighter news, someone brought to my attention that the advanced search functionality is not obvious enough to a brand new user. I will be making some changes soon remedy this (I didn't forget, I promise :3 ). The change will likely involve renaming the /projects page into the /search page since it makes it easier for me code-wise, so that's an early warning for people who may have links or bookmarks to the /projects page.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
There is now enough content on BulletForge that I am no longer able to keep it all or else I'll have to pay an extra 9 dollars a month. 9 dollars a month isn't that big of a deal, but this problem also arose because of some really bad design decisions I made. Before I start paying extra, I'd like to fix the stupid ideas I had first. As such, I'm going to remove some features that I think are completely unnecessary. Here's a list of stuff that I'll be getting rid of in the next 7 days.

Multiple versions per project - This was an awful idea and the biggest offender in general for database space. It was something that some other site was doing but it doesn't quite work for Danmakufu scripts. Projects and versions will now be merged into one entity and reuploading files without creating a new version will be allowed.
Win/fail voting - For a while now, I knew some people were spamming votes with multiple accounts since I had no account restrictions. The resulting score isn't very representative of the script's actual quality.
Comments on user pages - This isn't exactly a very used feature and with the lack of notifications (no I'm not going to build notifications), comments tend to be ignored anyway. I'll be keeping comments on the project pages though.

Before I go through with this, I'd like to know what everyone else thinks, and perhaps if there are any suggestions on what else may need changes or if I shouldn't get rid of some things. I'll likely begin working on these changes over the weekend so if there's any other concerns about BulletForge, please voice them now. Feature requests will most likely be refused though, since I'm trying to decrease database usage, not increase it.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:35 PM »
There is now enough content on BulletForge that I am no longer able to keep it all or else I'll have to pay an extra 9 dollars a month. 9 dollars a month isn't that big of a deal, but this problem also arose because of some really bad design decisions I made. Before I start paying extra, I'd like to fix the stupid ideas I had first. As such, I'm going to remove some features that I think are completely unnecessary. Here's a list of stuff that I'll be getting rid of in the next 7 days.

Multiple versions per project - This was an awful idea and the biggest offender in general for database space. It was something that some other site was doing but it doesn't quite work for Danmakufu scripts. Projects and versions will now be merged into one entity and reuploading files without creating a new version will be allowed.
Win/fail voting - For a while now, I knew some people were spamming votes with multiple accounts since I had no account restrictions. The resulting score isn't very representative of the script's actual quality.
Comments on user pages - This isn't exactly a very used feature and with the lack of notifications (no I'm not going to build notifications), comments tend to be ignored anyway. I'll be keeping comments on the project pages though.

Before I go through with this, I'd like to know what everyone else thinks, and perhaps if there are any suggestions on what else may need changes or if I shouldn't get rid of some things. I'll likely begin working on these changes over the weekend so if there's any other concerns about BulletForge, please voice them now. Feature requests will most likely be refused though, since I'm trying to decrease database usage, not increase it.

Comments in general aren't very useful due to the lack of notifications. Maybe you can get rid of comments altogether.

You can also allow projects to keep only the n latest versions of themselves, though I'm not sure how much storage this would require.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
I agree with Fluffy on versions. Personally, I believe the limit should be 3 versions. This prevents people from keeping too many versions while also allowing for backups in case something went horribly wrong.

Additionally, if possible, it may do wonders to purge all unlisted scripts with less than 10 downloads made before 2014. There's a high chance that these versions are no longer in use and may have been replaced, or were never meant for public distribution and never actually got used.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »
You can also allow projects to keep only the n latest versions of themselves, though I'm not sure how much storage this would require.
I agree with Fluffy on versions. Personally, I believe the limit should be 3 versions. This prevents people from keeping too many versions while also allowing for backups in case something went horribly wrong.
So the problem with database usage is that my host counts by rows of data, rather than actual size of the data. Currently a project is one row of data and a version is another row of data. A project with only one version still counts as two rows. A project with 3 versions is 4 rows. By removing versioning and merging the data together, I will be cutting the rows used by projects by more than half. I'll also be storing less on the filehost which is starting to cost me more and more money too.

Also, the biggest problem I personally have with versions is... it's written like a piece of shit. I hate looking at the code for it, lol.

Comments in general aren't very useful due to the lack of notifications. Maybe you can get rid of comments altogether.
If no one cares about comments, I'll remove them completely. It does seem pointless when most of the feedback probably happens on these forums anyway. Or Skype groups.

Additionally, if possible, it may do wonders to purge all unlisted scripts with less than 10 downloads made before 2014. There's a high chance that these versions are no longer in use and may have been replaced, or were never meant for public distribution and never actually got used.
I'm not going to do any purge because I can't know for sure if something is truly unneeded anymore. And I'm sure as hell not emailing everyone that it might affect about it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:22:55 PM by Blargel »

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »
I don't believe there is any real reason to have any versions other than the latest available. I can see very few times where it would ever be desirable to play a version of a script that ISNT its latest iteration. I think the version number should be kept as a descriptor for the project, but only as such. That way instead of writing "Update #1", "Update #2", etc. in the description someone would just be able to look at the version number and see that it has changed.

Bulletforge shouldn't be used as someone's backup in case they screw something up. It should be meant for finished or nearly finished projects. They can use their own backup system or file storage service for that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:59:58 AM by ExPorygon »

Drake

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 04:03:06 AM »
Github max individual file size is 100MB; much more than most images and music people should be using for even full projects. Using git as version control for personal projects even without hosting on Github is a good idea.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 04:23:57 AM »
Heh, maybe everyone should just use Github. It's a hell of a lot prettier and more flexible than the shit I'm running now. This isn't even sarcasm, lol. How well does Git work on Windows nowadays anyway? It was absolutely awful when I first made BulletForge.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 06:35:02 AM »
Heh, maybe everyone should just use Github. It's a hell of a lot prettier and more flexible than the shit I'm running now. This isn't even sarcasm, lol. How well does Git work on Windows nowadays anyway? It was absolutely awful when I first made BulletForge.

Pretty well; I can at least do basic stuff on the command line, and more advanced stuff should work. And I'm using a version that I downloaded when I made my first Github repository.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

ExPorygon

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
I use it to house test versions of my game, Ephemeral Unnatural Balance. I actually use the desktop app to run it rather than the command line and it works just fine for my purposes. I'll still publish the game on Bulletforge when it's ready though. I don't think Github is a replacement for Bulletforge as a lot of people I talk to don't really get how to use it.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 12:36:57 AM »
Yeah. git is not easy to understand for those without some training and Github itself is Open-Source, which means that any assets such as music files and custom graphics are given a full and irrevocable public showing. Additionally, there are repo size limits, and if you're the type that replaces music files all the time or keeps duplicate tracks, the overall size of a project balloons quickly and gets out of control.

That said, git is amazing if you know how to use it. Which most scripters unfortunately do not. And on Windows, Github is... less manageable than the Unix command line git.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 03:34:40 AM »
At midnight tonight (PST), I'm going to put the site on maintenance mode and remove comments and voting. Removing versions will come next weekend.

EDIT: Maintenance complete. I browsed around a bit and everything seems fine, but please report any issues if you do run into any.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:14:59 AM by Blargel »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »
Front Page: Most Downloaded and Latest columns seem to have different widths. Is this intentional?

Also, when you remove versions, please make sure there is a way to keep the description text somewhere so that it's not lost by accident. I ask this because if I were to create a new version without having copied the version text, and the old version is automatically purged, the description text for the old version will not be recoverable.

And I'm going to be an a** and request a feature (a checkbox option) that will render the description box for a project using Markdown :)

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
Front Page: Most Downloaded and Latest columns seem to have different widths. Is this intentional?
They're the same size. They look different because the left column's text doesn't go all the way to the end.

Also, when you remove versions, please make sure there is a way to keep the description text somewhere so that it's not lost by accident. I ask this because if I were to create a new version without having copied the version text, and the old version is automatically purged, the description text for the old version will not be recoverable.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but there aren't going to be versions anymore. If you have a new version, you would just upload a replacement file and edit the description and version number.

And I'm going to be an a** and request a feature (a checkbox option) that will render the description box for a project using Markdown :)
I'm sure there's some library I can use for that, but I'll worry about that AFTER I get the other stuff done.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »
So the lack of project comments immediately hit me in the face just now.

We can no longer contact script creators via comments anymore. This makes feedback and questions hard, because it may not be possible to contact the scripter. This is why I'd like to request a feature for sometime in the future.

Basically, account 'linking' with MoTK, where you would be able to post you MoTK User ID (e.g. mine is 9024, you are 1580, Helepolis is 65) and that would add a link on your user page and/or on all project pages directly to your MotK Profile, allowing easy access to the PM button and alternate modes of communication. It's not secure, of course, but it would make contacting easier since not every new scripter posts a contact link/please post comments and feedback here link in the description (nobody really does that...)

Implementation would be the following: (sorry that I can't send a pull request on github - I have absolutely no idea how the website is structured)
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/username/edit
Add a fourth option for the ID input - requires an integer value (such as 9024 for me)

On user profile page (http://www.bulletforge.org/u/username), a contact link (e.g.
Code: [Select]
<a target="_blank" href="https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=####">MotK</a>, where #### is the ID input on the profile page) would be placed somewhere near the top of the page, perhaps next to the person's username <h1>

On the project pages, a contact link would be placed somewhere near the top of the page as well, perhaps to the right of the version number

I know that this kind of thing would take quite a bit of time to get working, but I believe it would help greatly

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 05:49:37 AM »
We can no longer contact script creators via comments anymore. This makes feedback and questions hard, because it may not be possible to contact the scripter.
Did the authors read their comments then? It is an author's own responsibility to decide whether people want to contact him/her for feedback or not. He/she can still give out an e-mail or location for contact or point at locations. If an author adds none of these, obviously it isn't asking for direct feedback.

Basically, account 'linking' with MoTK, where you would be able to post you MoTK User ID (e.g. mine is 9024, you are 1580, Helepolis is 65) and that would add a link on your user page and/or on all project pages directly to your MotK Profile, allowing easy access to the PM button and alternate modes of communication. It's not secure, of course, but it would make contacting easier since not every new scripter posts a contact link/please post comments and feedback here link in the description (nobody really does that...)
Lets not do this. Mainly because of security issues.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »
I also do not believe we should add the feature you are suggesting. The best idea I can come up with is to have an option where the email you registered with is publicly displayed if you turn on an option. In general though, I'm expecting that most users of BulletForge are actually linking to BulletForge from somewhere else so that most people would already know who to contact elsewhere to give feedback.

Drake

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
I'm expecting that most users of BulletForge are actually linking to BulletForge from somewhere else so that most people would already know who to contact elsewhere to give feedback.
I agree mostly because of this. BulletForge has always been primarily for a sort of subject-specific centralized hosting; social aspects have never really been a thing, hence the motion to remove comments in the first place. It's like how we utilize Pastebin, where the actual discussion is outside and Pastebin is just to host content.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
I also do not believe we should add the feature you are suggesting. The best idea I can come up with is to have an option where the email you registered with is publicly displayed if you turn on an option. In general though, I'm expecting that most users of BulletForge are actually linking to BulletForge from somewhere else so that most people would already know who to contact elsewhere to give feedback.

Personally, I believe that the e-mail option is insecure in the long run because it opens up possibilities of unmoderated mass-spamming, hate mail, etc.

Also, the issue remains that MotK is NOT the only place that uses Bulletforge, although RaNGE members greatly benefit from the service. I'm specifically referring to cases such as where Shijimi Nono used Bulletforge to release SCC to the Western Touhou Community. If the game crashed due to locale issues, most people would have no way of contacting him without comments (unless they happened to be following his Twitter).

Additionally, the name a scripter registers with is not always immediately linkable to a specific user on MotK, and most new scripters ask for feedback without providing a way to SEND that feedback (and they won't even realize the problem unless they browse the description text carefully to see if they forgot something, since they may consider it normal to not get feedback).

Just giving my two cents, because I've seen the project comments used for linking pastebin reviews or bug reports in the past.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
@ Blargel, funny the same thing crossed my mind. E-mail optional field to enclose/disclose to public.

@ Sparen
Curious, what makes you think that commenting won't cause spamming / hate as well? A mail option is far more secure, because the author has ability to decide whether to show or not (Blargel had explained this). Objectively, letting the author control is wiser and better. 1) They have control to enclose/disclose 2) Less moderation/control from Blargel required. Additionally, comments means sort of create a "social platform" and the question is whether that is desired or not. Do we really need comments for the projects? I don't remember the Japanese equivalent having this (correct me if wrong). I think you're looking at things bit too much from a scripter's POV, but you're missing other scenarios and which is why the comment section is by default least favourable. Not saying your arguments are bad/wrong, but based on the described scenarios they are not favourable.

Also last thing we want is moderation on Bulletforge to remove spam / toxic messages. In my opinion, the vote win/fail should be also be omitted. It adds nothing to the project it self. I don't believe Bulletforge should become a platform for reviewing scripts whether they are nice or not. Upvotes (win) can also mean circlejerking and other activities.

Also, you're mentioning yourself: MotK is not the only place. Indeed, even more of a reason to make it a more neutral place where people can upload their work without worrying about things. Again more of a reason to let the author's decide on how they wish to expose their mail / contact. If most new scripters need feedback (which is what you're claiming without actual proof) then they should provide contact info/directions in their zip/package or description. I don't think we're in any position to enforce specific guidelines for this.

Finally, not carefully reading descriptions/directions is in my eyes human error/choice. Again not a solid argument to enforce this.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »
@ Sparen
Curious, what makes you think that commenting won't cause spamming / hate as well? A mail option is far more secure, because the author has ability to decide whether to show or not (Blargel had explained this).

I should have been more clear on this. I am referring to the fact that your e-mail is publicly available if you choose to let it be, and roaming spambots can discover your e-mail and start sending you all kinds of advertisement junk for **** enlargement, etc.

Obviously, this kind of security problem cannot be fixed once a spambot has accessed Bulletforge, since the damage has already been done.

Also, you're mentioning yourself: MotK is not the only place. Indeed, even more of a reason to make it a more neutral place where people can upload their work without worrying about things. Again more of a reason to let the author's decide on how they wish to expose their mail / contact. If most new scripters need feedback (which is what you're claiming without actual proof) then they should provide contact info/directions in their zip/package or description. I don't think we're in any position to enforce specific guidelines for this.

Finally, not carefully reading descriptions/directions is in my eyes human error/choice. Again not a solid argument to enforce this.

Understood, and your point is clear. I've been under the assumption that we should be giving feedback and constructive criticism to scripters regardless of whether or not they want it, mainly because that's what I've been doing ever since I started. It's something I learned from having my scripts reviewed, and I never really stopped to consider the fact that some scripters might not want feedback.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 01:31:09 AM »
If I wanted to, I could make some sort of private messaging system, but that feels like overkill.

In my opinion, the vote win/fail should be also be omitted. It adds nothing to the project it self. I don't believe Bulletforge should become a platform for reviewing scripts whether they are nice or not. Upvotes (win) can also mean circlejerking and other activities.
That was already removed in my last maintenance.  :3

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 03:24:21 AM »
If I wanted to, I could make some sort of private messaging system, but that feels like overkill.

As long as it has an e-mail notification system built in, it would work. Otherwise people wouldn't notice that they have PMs.

I believe it's a suitable solution, though not a priority.

ExPorygon

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 04:36:51 AM »
I should have been more clear on this. I am referring to the fact that your e-mail is publicly available if you choose to let it be, and roaming spambots can discover your e-mail and start sending you all kinds of advertisement junk for **** enlargement, etc.
Is this really a legitimate possibility?

Drake

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2015, 04:50:06 AM »
That will happen with any publicly-accessible website with emails displayed in plaintext anywhere. You just get a crawler to look for strings that look like email addresses and poof you're on a list. This is why for example you can't publicly access email addresses on this forum; instead you have the option to email and the details are hidden behind the back-end.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:11 AM »
I just checked and there's now a free tier for sending email that limits me to 400 emails per day. That sounds like more than enough. With this, I think I can just have a button where you just send a message directly to someone's email through BulletForge. That sounds like something I should probably protect with a captcha though. Or just only allow logged in users to do send emails and put a captcha on the sign up page.

This is going to be more in the future though, of course. In the more immediate future, this option means I can implement an automatic password reset thing finally.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:46 AM »
Double post because kinda important.

I'm strangely motivated to work on BulletForge so I'm going to take it down for maintenance again tonight at midnight (PST of course). When it comes back up, versions will be removed. Please note that only the latest version will be retained. The latest version is defined as the latest version that was created, regardless of which version was actually updated most recently.

There might be some new features and/or some design changes, too, depending on how motivated I am. (The retarded looking forms have been bugging me for a while now but CSS is a pain and I haven't had the motivation to fix them.)

EDIT: Maintenance complete. Besides removing versions, I also fixed the way the forms looks so they don't look as derpy. I haven't deleted the versions in the database yet so if there's something wrong, I can change it back temporarily while I figure out what went wrong. I also implemented a way for BulletForge to send emails, but there's no option from the frontend to use it yet. I'll finish that over the weekend probably and we'll be able to do automatic password resetting and a secure way to send feedback to people.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:18:19 AM by Blargel »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 09:31:34 AM »
Oh indeed the win/fail was removed. I see.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
The version functions will be missed dearly ._.;