Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou Discussion #3  (Read 193194 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Labyrinth of Touhou Discussion #3
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:25 AM »
This is obviously a continuation of the last 2 threads.

View thread 2 at : http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=4614.0
and thread 1 at: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=4187.0

View the wiki site for this excellent fangame at:
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Labyrinth_of_Touhou

You can download the 2.04 patch for this game at: http://www.mediafire.com/?mzdgl54mxmi
(Garlyle's upload I think, thank him)

You can also get the 2.06B patch from:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DA1DGQZC

If you wish to NG+ it's actually best to use the following save file below, it features all the characters unlocked at level 1 with all their stats set to normal. If you NG+ yourself it will bug out and make the characters contained in the last and second last pages all share the same stats for status resists, elemental affinities, and sp recovery, the following save file has been fixed by Pesco:

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5049.0;attach=5054

You will still want patch 2.06 for choice moments if you choose to NG+ however. If you ever re-recruit someone that you already have (everyone with NG+), their level will drop back down to 1 upon recruitment...which isn't so bad because it keeps their exp so you just re-level up. However, it brings all their skill levels back down to 1 as well (no your skillpoints will not be reimbursed), in addition, any equipment that character was wearing when you re-recruited them will be deleted. eeek.

DO NOT use the 2.06B patch on your first playthru, it's not functional with the translation patch. The only purpose of this patch is to use New game +, which is unavailable in 2.04.
When starting a new game with new game+, the menu order from top to bottom is:
Carry over unlocked characters?
Carry over skillpoints? (will only carry initial 5 characters if first menu is no)
The last is carry over items.

I haven't new game+ed yet myself (will soon) so if there are other menu choices in between I don't know them, sorry >=(

Install order is:
game, plus disk, 2.4 patch (my plus disk cd is pre-2.4, yay , translation patch.
There is a patch 2.5 and (I think) 2.6. They offer features like new game +, buffed Nitori, and probably others. However as far as I understand, they do not work with the english patch since they are beta patches. Something you should know.. ANYWAY, in continuation with the last thread:

when discussing this game, there is some kind of house rule where you have to (spoiler) lolol some name here (/spoiler) names past floor 6ish in the game. Please try to remember that since some people actually seem to care. Of course, use square brackets not round ones to actually spoiler tag successfully.

Also, I'm still willing to smack Ghaleon for saying
Spoiler:
Rinnosuke
is bad. :V

You cannot refute my logic though.

Seriously though, gender is the reason.

I just beat the first 30F boss without cheating yet once this playthru yay. I think I'm going to cheat my way past the last 2, I just don't want to grind  200 more levels on the same content I've already grinded the alst 100+ *shudders*...And I want to get on with my 2nd 2nd play thru (Want to finish the first completely so I don't accidently delete my 2nd again).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:51:17 PM by Ghaleon »

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou Discussion #3
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »
I just beat the first 30F boss without cheating yet once this playthru yay. I think I'm going to cheat my way past the last 2, I just don't want to grind  200 more levels on the same content I've already grinded the alst 100+ *shudders*...And I want to get on with my 2nd 2nd play thru (Want to finish the first completely so I don't accidently delete my 2nd again).

Unless you REALLY want the bragging rights, do it. As I said before, plus disk has no "ending." You will beat the super boss and that's it, the dialogue you get as a reward is even less interesting than the random conversations that happen upon entering a new floor.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:30:44 AM »
Unless you REALLY want the bragging rights, do it. As I said before, plus disk has no "ending." You will beat the super boss and that's it, the dialogue you get as a reward is even less interesting than the random conversations that happen upon entering a new floor.

Yeah I know, I know I should have cheated already too. Thing is the game is so good otherwise, and really, it just feels wrong to cheat on a game this good >=\

Anglican

• Fleeting Philantropist
  • Aye! Nothing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:32:09 PM »
Does anyone here have a walkthrough for the switches in floors 10-11 & 12, I have been spelunking through it for quite some time and by god I can't figure my way in the blue switches.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
I don't really have a walkthrough as such (though I think the wiki does), but I didn't have much trouble with that maze once I started print screening the floor maps, pasting them into MS Paint, and marking where all the switches and barriers I encountered were located.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
Oooh, discussion on the worst characters. I really have to disagree on some. Mokou, Youmu... they aren't terrible, and Youmu is actually a pretty good ATK nuker. Incredibly similar to Yuugi, really. Wriggle doesn't suck either, her PSN is quite strong and hits most bosses, and she has decent survival ability and Butterfly Storm isn't weaksauce when PSN doesn't hit.

And yes, 18F has cooties and I'll never ever use that thing but is definitely not a bad character.

Now I'd put in
Cirno (100% useless when her status affects can't hit, and those can be replicated by other characters. And if you go into Plus-Disk, one character can replicate all of Cirno's usefulness in one move and do it literally 4 times stronger (PAR-120 PLUS SPEED DOWN AND ATK DOWN WHAT), plus better survival and 2 other buff/debuff skills.)

Reisen (Frail and ehh damage, debuff isn't even that strong either. Her self-buff might make her not totally suck, after you have the SP to actually make it useful.)

Rumia (I love Rumia, but come on, she's slow, frail, DSotM is weaksauce except for MND ignore, Moonlight Ray only does okay damage, and Demarcation is... well, Demarcation is okay. Unfortunately, a Plus-Disk character has a move that attacks enemies AND cures debuffs on the party and is still very good otherwise. Plus, after you have many characters, it shouldn't be that hard to rebuff instead of having a un-debuffer. The PAR heal and HP heal is a decent add-on.)

Sakuya is pretty sucky. Her speed-up isn't that awesome although its okay, and the same goes for her damage. Alternatively, you could boost a defensive stat and kill her attack ability in exchange for making it easier to keep her out on bosses.

Then, there are a bunch of characters who are simply inferior although not like "YOU SUCK".
Iku
Eirin
Sanae(Compared to Minoriko)
Mokou
Orin(Suck against bosses)
Nitori
Aya(Compared to Chen as your rapespeed character)
MAYBE Youmu, compared to Yuugi. Maybe. Youmu is still a great ATK nuker with high HP/DEF.

And maybe include Wriggle in that list, maybe Yuyuko.

I've tried out basically every non-Plus character for several floors, so I know pretty well which ones fall below expectations (or simply had terrible expectations in the first place)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:25:15 PM by NeoGenesis »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »
Fuck Yukari jesus christ

This battle is unfair :(

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
Man, everything is kicking my ass from F13 on.  :ohdear:
Could handle the F13 enemies okay as long as they don't attack Marisa, which they almost never did.
F14 is WHAT. I just ran like a pussy to F15 in hopes of better times over there.
Almost everything outspeeds me. If I see Ms palletswap the sorceress, I just run with Chen. She's ridiculous.
And I just know I'm missing things on F13. Do you really have to do random combinations with switches to find them?

On a different note, I love how
Spoiler:
Rinnosuke got his strength through the power of SCIENCE!  :V

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
On my quest for the 20F drop items so I can get that star, I have discovered that The Norns do indeed drop Ribbons.

The Truth-Seeing Eyes are the ones dropping Elder Dragon's Jewels. I have one from a random battle on 19F, one from treasure on 19F, and one from random battle on 20F. GOD. I don't need those damn things, I NEED SCOURGE/DIVINE SPIRIT BARRIER/FLOWER BLADE KIKURSOMETHING ;-;

Reimu lv185. If I don't have these items by the time I should be able to fight Final Boss ver2... I mean, I'm planning on using both the characters you get for beating her D:

I mean, I've already basically given up on getting the items before I'm ready to start doing 21F+. >:

EDIT:Got Divine Spirit Barrier at Reimu lv192 YEAAAAH. Now I just have two more to go ;-;
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:08:46 PM by NeoGenesis »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
Cheat Engine. Don't feel ashamed.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »
Cheat Engine. Don't feel ashamed.
Not until I hit 30F >:

Because it just isn't right to make your players grind for hours and hours just for a boss (Well, 3 bosses) that doesn't even have an ounce of story value. I'll only want to beat the Plus-Disk Final so I can get New Game+ for all-char unlock right at the start (and nothing else carried over)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
Not for grinding, just the drop.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
Not for grinding, just the drop.
Maybe if I hit the level where I should be able to beat the boss, and I STILL don't have it. I'll need to grind on 20F for like 15~25 more levels anyway. Where is the grinding spot to use after 20F, anyway? I know its 27F for grinding once you just have 30F stuff left.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
Holy shit the enemies on floor 18 are tough. D:

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Floor 16 was pretty nice while it lasted (most enemies being slower than Patchy means you can nuke just about everything before it can move, and the ones that outspeed you hardly do any damage), but now I have four different bosses to choose between (
Spoiler:
Flandre, Kaguya's Foe, Yukari, and some 15F sigil guardian
), and they all like destroying me in a variety of ways. Time to assign those 500k skillpoints accumulated while exploring, I guess.

Also, is Flowing Hellfire affected by defence or mind? It just seems to nuke everyone no matter what they specialize in...

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
Fire affinity. you can't go wrong.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »

He even got off his last-ditch super buff, but Kaguya and Yugi were just barely enough to take him down before he got a shot off. THANK GOD THAT'S OVER AND DONE WITH. I was certain I was doomed when Reimu died halfway through the fight.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
Fire affinity. you can't go wrong.
Thanks for reminding me, as I just realized that was what I used to defeat the last two versions of that boss. Speaking of which, is there any enemy up to floor 16 that drops those +128 fire affinity Love Machines or whatever they are called?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
Love machines are unique drops. Only 3 in the game (IIRC) pre-Bosh Rush. You might get another from the side quest but that's post game for you.

nintendonut888

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
*looks at his newest character post-skill point buff*

Okay, screw cooties, I'm using him. o_o There's been one slot that's always been up in the air anyway.

His TP though... :( I boosted it up to 11, but still...ow.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 08:09:33 PM »
*looks at his newest character post-skill point buff*

Okay, screw cooties, I'm using him. o_o There's been one slot that's always been up in the air anyway.

His TP though... :( I boosted it up to 11, but still...ow.
It gets better, his party buff uses all his TP and doesn't work if you don't have any left!

But yeah, its a pretty good character if you don't mind the "eeeeew" :V

nintendonut888

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
Hell yeah, floor 19 has the best traveling theme return! :D

And yeah, his TP is up to 23 thanks to that miraculous flame item.

Martyr's Labyrinth: 12:12 PM

LET'S KICK SHELL!

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Yay! You're on the home stretch, Donut!

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »
So I decided to try this out last night.  Managed to make it to level 2 and encounter Cirno once before going to sleep (which I was originally planning on doing before I even installed it).  Got myself killed once by ignoring the advice given when you first encounter an event (where it tells you that you can't see them until you're right next to them) and ran into the boss encounter with Chen when my average level was 3.  That didn't go well, but I'm paranoid about saving and didn't lose anything other than a little bit of experience.

Made it to level 3 before I had to go cook (mmmmmm...grilled steak).  I'm pretty sure I was under leveled for the fight against Youmu since she wiped my party the first two times I attempted her and it felt like an uphill battle the whole time.  Third time's the charm, and while it was pretty close at times keeping her speed down with Cirno and swapping ⑨ out for someone else until she needed more debuffing made things much more manageable, as was being careful with the use of Aki once Youmu's ghost half was down.

Patchy couldn't get much done during any attempt since she would still get one-shot by a row attack (can't remember which one), so I guess I need to dump some more points into HP.  That said my levels at the time were 10s and 11s with Chen and Cirno being 12, so maybe a few more levels would have been sufficient to let her survive those hits.  Shortly before the fight was over Youmu decided to one-shot Aki with Present Life Slash (I think she always used Slash of Eternity on the leading character) :(

The game's been pretty enjoyable thus far.  The character art isn't exactly good but what I've heard of the soundtrack is solid.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »
So many Aya haters. I think she's great. her attacks are pretty powerful except against those resistant to wind. But she really shines IMO because her speed buff is a significant buff, with low delay, and cheap sp cost. Single target is more of a good thing than a bad one too (well buffing everyone is better obviously but I like single with low delay more than everyone with high) because you can switch people in and out and buff the new face, instead of wasting a multi target buff on 3 people that don't need it and 1 that does.

But if she has nobody to buff, she CAN dps reasonably well (my patch silent selenes for like 700k, remi spears for about 500k with 20-30% atk buff, and Alice can fire doll for about 500k on those not resistant to fire), Aya does her final spell for about 300k. Which 9is pretty damn good considering her high speed and low delay, and the spell's nature of keeping her speed buff up. Seriously though, She's more important for the speed buff IMO. She's not squishy either. She's no tank but I can stick her in slot two and she can survive a samidere slash or whatever. Thing with chen is chen is only meant to dps, doesn't do anything else, and she's one of those MUST be in slot 4 type characters or you really risk having her go splat.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
So the translation patch doesn't work with the new patches right? Anybody know if the creators of of this are still patching the game? I find with most commercial games (haven't really seen a beta patch for a doujin game until now), when they release a beta patch, it's the last one they ever do, and support for the game pretty much ends.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 02:08:41 AM »
So the translation patch doesn't work with the new patches right? Anybody know if the creators of of this are still patching the game? I find with most commercial games (haven't really seen a beta patch for a doujin game until now), when they release a beta patch, it's the last one they ever do, and support for the game pretty much ends.

I don't think they are, no.  I believe they're working on an ACTUAL Etrian Odyssey-styled game (with 3d dungeon view and stuff) already, but I could be wrong.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
I don't think they are, no.  I believe they're working on an ACTUAL Etrian Odyssey-styled game (with 3d dungeon view and stuff) already, but I could be wrong.

You know I never heard of that game:
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etrian_Odyssey"
Sounds interesting. I'm not too pleased about making my own map...I can't write or draw, so I'm basically fucked. Is it worth playing anyway?

And what do you mean by actual? You mean they'll make Eterian Odyssey 4? They'll make their own version without Touhou? or they'll make another Touhou remake of it that is more similar than Labyrinth of Touhou?

I know you aren't sure, but I'm just curious what you meant.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 02:56:47 AM »
Reimu lv210. Flan has 666 SP  :V

Explored all of 21F (Yay that's not grinding YAAAY), and on 20F grinding I've gotten 2 Flower Blades, ANOTHER Elder Dragon's Jewel from the Truth-Seeing Eyes, and apparently Exa Grain drops Pailsen Files, cool, those are nifty.

I'VE GOTTEN EVERY SINGLE DROP ON THIS FLOOR EXCEPT SCOURGE AUUUUGH (You don't even need most of the rare drops! Elder Dragon Jewel/Ribbon/Pailsen Files... D:)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:58:46 AM by NeoGenesis »

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 03:14:09 AM »
I am sorry but the Scourge drop is inversly proportional to how much you want Scourge. When I wanted it, it never came, but when I said "screw it I don't care any more" I proceded to find 1 right after, then another 2 while on my way to level 250 or sumthin around that level :V