Author Topic: Touhou AAAGGHGHGAGHAGGHHHH thread #5  (Read 127245 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou AAAGGHGHGAGHAGGHHHH thread #5
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2009, 05:33:07 AM »
Just played a few SA stage 3 practice runs and. Yuugi's lasers in her nonspells are complete crap on Hard. Constant clipping and way too small a space to dodge. This killed me both with Reimu's small hitbox and Marisa's spread.
All of her blue lasers and her midboss phase's red lasers should be static, at least from what I've seen. How do you approach the lasers?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »
PCB Normal.

Started Stage 5 7/0, left Stage 5 1/2.

How I managed to make it to Sumizome Perfect Blossom -Getting Lost- before game-overing, I'll never know.

Bananamatic

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »
lol EoSD
no deaths up to st3

st3 - 2 bombs 4 deaths
st4 - captured books, died with 3 bombs right before them
st5 - 1 bombs 0 deaths on Sakuya(after continuing)
st6 - 1 bombed Scarlet Meister

*shakes fist at China*

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
IN Extra scorerun attempt.

Get killed by death fairy.

Mess up Mokou opener grazing and have to deathbomb.

Die with bombs on one of the nonspell. Also have to deathbomb a lot more than usually happens due to screw ups.

Mess up Hollow Giant Woo right when I was about to capture it. Mess up Phoenix Tail when I was about to capture it. Clip something on the Volcano. Since I can't do the streaming phase 2 right on Possessed by phoenix, I decided to sacrifice the extra 20,000,000 or so and do circles, and I get hit right before the second phase ends.

Hourai Doll sucked a lot more than usual as I can usually capture it now. Die, deathbomb, deathbomb, die, deathbomb, deathbomb, game over when she was almost defeated.

Bananamatic

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »
*enters st6 with 3 lives and 3 bombs*
*game over on scarlet meister again*

perfect st1 and 2
clipdeath midboss china, clipdeath something else, both with full bombs

I've hit my keyboard so hard that the spacebar flew out
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:16:34 PM by Bananamatic »

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »
Now I either don't perfect Keine or I die before the death fairy.

I don't even know how to properly get all the point items from the stuff before the death fairy part, so I have to bomb a lot to get them.

Lopsidation

• Exploring the Twin Labyrinths
  • Be light of heart;
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2009, 06:06:55 PM »
MoF Hard 1cc attempt- I made it 2/3 of the way through VoWG.
Maybe I could have done it if I hadn't died TWICE on Diluvial Mare.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
3 death IN Extra clear. Should have been 2 deaths, but I had to deathbomb on Possessed by Phoenix yet again right at the end of phase #2.

Also died right as I took out the HP of Phoenix Tail, so I got denied that capture.

Edit: 3 more messed up scorerun attempts. I know I can beat that Remilia solo score. I just need to quit messing up.

Okay, so I get a 3 death clear with Border Team and a 2 death clear with Yukari solo. How does that even make sense?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:23:10 PM by Enigma »

Scooter1000

• Certified Danmaku Dodger
  • Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2009, 09:23:45 PM »
I can't make it past MoF stage 1 without dying anymore.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
Lost count of the number of deaths on stage 1 and 2 or EoSD.

I got out of them without dying I think a total of 5 times in around an hour and a half.

Three of those runs had me die three or more times on Stage 3.

One had me get through stage 3 with only 2 deaths, but killed me twice on the streaming at the beginning of S4 with full bombs.

The last one now had my first death, no bombs, on the fairies right before boss Meiling (where the hell are you supposed to dodge that, anyway?).  Best of the day...right up until I clip her opener with full bombs, have to bomb it anyway, then die on her next noncard with two bombs.

I am
GUILARHGJ,HBFG,SDJKZBXFUHGJKLHDBXCFJKBVGJKLXDUZHILDUZGKJDBNFKVGJDBKFJBNDFJK,KXCJNB,KCJNKCBGKXDG,KXDFJG,BFM,JHDBFM,GJBGHILFUHGILSDJKFGNKLSDJFNHGKLSDJNFGKLDJZFNGKLJZDFNGKJXDBNJKBNZFVGJKBXDFJKBGDBVFG,KDFJBVGLKDUZFJBGKLUZJFBKLJNHBKLJCNVKBJNCKLVBJNXKLCVJBNXKLCJBNKLXJVNBKLXJBN
right now

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
EoSD Lunatic is a load of crap. 4cc'd it earlier, and there's a lot of stuff I just couldn't deal with outside of pressing x.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »
...did I really just mess up Gengetu's final phase?

I had 3/0 going in, I didn't even make it to "GRT" 2/2. ;_;

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2009, 12:04:56 AM »
Scarlet Weather Rapture on Hard.
What the fuck, what the hell am I suppose to do in the last 25% of health?

Bananamatic

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2009, 12:08:01 AM »
Scarlet Weather Rapture on Hard.
What the fuck, what the hell am I suppose to do in the last 25% of health?
Give up on playing this game. It's not even fun :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »
I played horribly today. More like, everything was straight outta Clipdeath City. When first trying to pass SA Stage 6 Hard last night, I could manage 1-death/no-bombs on Nuclear Excursion most of the time. This was just trying to beat the level, when I'm under even more pressure to do well. Now that I'm playing under more "casual" settings, I'm lucky if I don't get walled in 5 seconds. And the clipdeaths, the clipdeaths! So many of them! So much so that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. I even died three times today on fucking Planetary Revolution. Three times, despite it being almost exactly like Fixed Star! And don't get me started on Utsuho's second/fourth non-spell. Randomly oriented rows of danmaku making me believe there's room, when they suddenly close in just tightly enough to kill me...

I was aggravated so much that I decided to try Stage 3 Hard in a futile attempt to cheer myself up. I hate lasers. I really do. Why did ZUN think it was a good idea to let Yuugi stay in after the midboss phase, shooting bullets that are designed to squish me into a laser? And why is her last spell now walling me every time no matter what I try to avoid getting walled?

I need to not play Touhou until after Christmas...
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

theshirn

« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2009, 02:14:54 AM »
GODDAMNIT ALL

I finally managed to get a good run going - got to Stage 5 with three lives, only to clip while HAMMERING the bomb button right before midboss Sakuya with two bombs in stock, then clipped her opener with full bombs.  Still made it to Vampire Illusion, but those extra 5 bombs could have taken me through into Scarlet Gensokyo, and maybe the 1cc.  GODDAMNIT.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Bananamatic

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »
GODDAMNIT ALL
I hear you brother.
I can make it to st6 even on a bad run, but Remilia is basically a huge cunt(sorry Hele, but it's true)
Young Demon Lord is impossible at times with having both of the bullshit bullet types, the opener is clippy as hell, same for Needle Mountain, the pre-SM nonspell is also easy to get bs'd at and Scarlet Meister/Gensokyo are just plain batshit.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:17 AM »
I don't get it. Really, I don't. I randomly tried PoFV lunatic with Shikieiki, her being about the best choice without being considered "cheap." I made it all the way to Reimu on my first try, but I knew immediately I wasn't going to win because I had no lives left. I really don't see the appeal of a game where your chances of success are measured by how many lives you have in reserve. In PoDD, even if you had no lives you had a chance of defeating Yumemi. In this game you may as well kill yourself right then and there. I continued twice and beat Reimu on the first life of my third credit if you must know.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2009, 04:24:27 AM »
Shikieiki actually seems to take a while longer then the other characters in order to take down enemies in Story Mode, although there is a big bonus in that you fight Reimu instead of Shiki at the end.

I find Reimu to be the best non-cheap character, especially since two lv16 lv2s in a row usually force the CPU to bomb or be hit since it dodges them all weird. Useful when the opponent has no gauge and would have to get hit. But even without that, I find them dying MUCH faster when I use Reimu then Shikieiki, or with most other characters too.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

ebarrett

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2009, 04:58:41 AM »
I knew immediately I wasn't going to win because I had no lives left. I really don't see the appeal of a game where your chances of success are measured by how many lives you have in reserve.

Get there with lives to spare. "Simple" as that. A player of your level should be getting at Shikieiki with three spare lives (or two and more or less guaranteed to get a third during the fight) without breaking a sweat, since that's what you get by scoring naturally throughout and dying once at each of stages 6, 7 and 8.

Also, in the same way that it is possible beat Yumemi on the first try, she can also whip you for half an hour and refuse to go down no matter how long the (up to 5) rounds take. And so can Chiyuri vs. quite a few characters.

Really, this looks more and more like a campaign of hate. Though it's... understandable. Being one-upped is obviously something you can't take easily.

But even without that, I find them dying MUCH faster when I use Reimu then Shikieiki, or with most other characters too.

That's because the AI is extra stupid vs. the ying-yangs, and WILL get squished between two of them, or between a bullet/amulet clusterfuck and one orb coming the wrong (right?) way.

nintendonut888

« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2009, 05:19:16 AM »
There. Tried with Reimu.

3cc'd on the LAST life of my third credit. >_<

Get there with lives to spare. "Simple" as that. A player of your level should be getting at Shikieiki with three spare lives (or two and more or less guaranteed to get a third during the fight) without breaking a sweat, since that's what you get by scoring naturally throughout and dying once at each of stages 6, 7 and 8.

Great advice. >_> You realize that no matter my skill level, I can't dodge walls of pellet bullets moving at Scarlet Meister speed, right? Nor can the charge meter fill fast enough to protect me with a level 2. And it DEFINITELY doesn't help that the AI is a PoS that will not get hit even if it gets trapped inside of a level 2 spell like you NeoSerela said (I took the time to look, Shiki was inside of one of those, and DODGED OUT OF IT ANYWAY).

Also, in the same way that it is possible beat Yumemi on the first try, she can also whip you for half an hour and refuse to go down no matter how long the (up to 5) rounds take. And so can Chiyuri vs. quite a few characters.

But at least it isn't set in stone, so you can at least have hope. There's no "timer" you have to run down in PoDD, and that in itself makes the game more fun.

Really, this looks more and more like a campaign of hate. Though it's... understandable. Being one-upped is obviously something you can't take easily.

I...can't deny that. But I DO hate a game that everyone insists on me trying to like, that is dependent on the computer's whims rather than your skill, and throws walls not even the best players in the world can dodge regularly in the later stages. IMO, the campaign of hate is well justified.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2009, 05:22:42 AM »
[00:18]   <theshim>   sonofa
[00:18]   <theshim>   how the crap are you supposed to beat shikieiki
[00:19]   <theshim>   she throws walls
[00:19]   <theshim>   walls
[00:19]   <theshim>   and more walls
No, I'm with Donut on this one.  You have to get lucky on earlier stages to stand a chance on the later ones, because I don't think it's possible for a human player to take down Shikieiki on the first life, and I have serious doubts about the second.  That means I need at BARE MINIMUM two lives in stock to stand a chance, and three or more to have any real likelihood of pulling it off.

Anyone who says they could 1LC PoFV is either a god or a liar.

ebarrett

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2009, 06:21:33 AM »
Anyone who says they could 1LC PoFV is either a god or a liar.

It's probably harder than GRT no-deaths, if at all possible. In the first round of the final stage, not only is Shiki "invincible" (as everyone knows), but the amount of bullets you face is also much higher, for whatever reason. I won't deny that first-round Shiki was very, very poorly implemented, but some people take this single instance of (very) bad design and rampant unfairness and treat the whole game as if it suffered from similar stuff.

I can 1cc it with half the cast 80%+ of the time, and about 95% of the time with my preferred chars (the 5% failure rate accounts for playing more than half asleep), and I'm no Donut or Baity or Jaimers or Sapz or Kefit or Veronica or bjw or any other freak of nature, I can't capture Scarlet Meister or Scarlet Gensokyo, I can't survive Asteroid Belt for more than five seconds, I still haven't captured all the Last Words (curse you Yukari!), heck, my reflexes are below average as far as I know, not below Touhou player average, below average person average, and yet despite all of this PoFV is stupid easy for me so I'll just make the "lol hi I'm donut UFO lunatic is easy" face at both of you.

[00:18]   <theshim>   how the crap are you supposed to beat shikieiki

The same way everyone beats every char that's giving them trouble: watch some replays and mimic whatever you see.

3cc'd on the LAST life of my third credit. >_<

If I remember correctly, the AI skill level resets every time you continue. I'd need confirmation on this, though.

Also, if you would (could - damn bug) upload some replays, maybe I could just point out what you could possibly be doing wrong.

theshirn

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
The same way everyone beats every char that's giving them trouble: watch some replays and mimic whatever you see.
Cirno replay.  NOW.

(please)

nintendonut888

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
You can't imitate what people do in replays because the game is completely random. >_>

I don't know why I just don't give up. I mean, it's not like I'm not satisfied with my Aya 1cc despite that everyone loves to throw it in my face. I suppose it's that damn sense of obligation I'm told I'm supposed to have...

BTW, Kefit said that he never 1cc'd PoFV on normal once. Just so you know.

ebarrett

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2009, 06:34:26 AM »

theshirn

« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »
HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT GET HIT AT 6:05-6:15

NO SERIOUSLY

nintendonut888

« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2009, 07:04:08 AM »
The.

Fuck.

I'm starting to notice some gameplay mechanics on my own, and let me tell you, that is...the biggest dick move ZUN has ever pulled. I never knew until now that panic bombing drains your entire charge bar, whereas doing it manually drains one level less. That is...just...fuck. That just pisses me off so much.

Also, you ever think that enemies coming from below isn't a horrible decision? Or giving you one second of invulnerability between hits? This game...is just irredeemable.

I got to Shiki with a life to spare, and it didn't make a fucking bit of difference because of these flaws.

ebarrett

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT GET HIT AT 6:05-6:15

NO SERIOUSLY
Freak luck, of course. But getting hit wouldn't have changed much - I'd probably have avoided bombing that soon. I could have afforded the hit at 6:15, it was probably a better option but I was panicking - in the long run I didn't gain anything. At 6:25 I'd still be at least at the same 2 orbs and 1-and-a-half gauge, with a decent chance of 2 orbs and 2-and-a-half gauge.

I never knew until now that panic bombing drains your entire charge bar, whereas doing it manually drains one level less. That is...just...fuck. That just pisses me off so much.
Pretty much my reaction when I discovered it. And as with you telling me about ultra attacks in PoDD, discovering panic bombing put me on the fast track to (repeatable, beautiful, expectable) victory. Same with SoEW's double-tapping and half of HRtP's tricks, even the most "obvious" ones.

Also, you ever think that enemies coming from below isn't a horrible decision?
SURPRISE BUTTSECKS fairies are annoying but you get used to dealing with them. Your shots hit below your hitbox; the only occasion you'll get rammed by fairies from below is when you're charging in a corner; and if you're charging in a corner it means you ran out of room elsewhere, which isn't a good sign anyway. So, the better you play, the less you risk being in a position to get fairy-rammed. Corners are bad even without the fairies.

Or giving you one second of invulnerability between hits? This game...is just irredeemable.
WAT, this doesn't even make sense. How is one second to recollect yourself a bad thing? How is this different from, say, most if not all of PC-98? If anything, complain about how being hit while charging deprives you of the gauge bonus (even the full-gauge bonus when you're reduced to half an orb!), now THAT is something I want to punch ZUN for.

nintendonut888

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
Three seconds = Enough time to recollect yourself

One second = Enough time to recollect yourself if you are a robot. One second isn't even enough time to charge a level 2 attack to keep yourself from getting hit by the rush of random bullets that hit you the first time.

PC-98 gave you a lot more than one second. Also, while PoDD did this too, it's more forgivable because there's overall less bullets and the aforementioned situation happens less often.

Really, if it were possible to like this game, I would have done it already. But I caaaaaaan't. =_= So I'm just going to shut up about it now.