Author Topic: Touhou AAAGGHGHGAGHAGGHHHH thread #5  (Read 128183 times)

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
Re: Touhou AAAGGHGHGAGHAGGHHHH thread #5
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2009, 05:34:53 AM »
I kind of like PoFV, it's hard, but that's probably that I haven't touched Lunatic's crazy AI yet.  Extra is kind of fun though.

As UFO, fuck it, I'm one of those people that hates to use bombs, and UFO keeps telling me to use it to go through their shit walls that I think I can go through.  I can't remember how many times I died on St. Nikol's when it is suppose to be easy since it is static, but then somehow I clip 2 times on it.

ebarrett

« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2009, 07:01:06 AM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=6594

There, a PoFV lunatic run to show how FUN this game is. Isn't it great to know that dying more than once on any opponent means you have a zero percent chance of victory because low scoring me can't even reach the 50 million extend?

Just watched the replay. Let's go through what you're doing wrong. Get comfortable because this is going to be a long post.  :V

- Your first move in any situation is to go to the bottom center and try to dodge everything from there. This is probably the worst thing you can do in PoFV; the bottom is a freakin' deathtrap. Move up as much as you can, and when under pressure (something that will happen more and more as you go through the stages), move in a U-shape to avoid staying in the bottom, and most importantly, from being pushed into the corners. When under heavy pressure on the sides, dodge up until you go past the point where the bullets can aim at your general direction.

- You're trying to basically stay in place and dodge everything that comes at you, because you're a top player, and your raw skill should be enough for anything, right? Wrong, because this way you must dodge 90% of the bullets generated. What you must do is actively chase down every single spirit, activate them and blow them up. Activated spirits are easier to destroy and reflect all cancellable bullets in a quite wide area around it; destroying/reflecting bullets and spirits is what fills your gauge and increases your score; you do the math.

- You're never using L1s, which, for most characters, complement their scope and helps destroying activated spirits (and fairies) which would be otherwise out of range (or which you are deliberately leaving behind for your L1s to destroy while you chase down something else on the other side of the screen). Reimu's amulets will bounce a few times while destroying enemies before fizzling out, which means that they cover more or less half the screen every time; they'll also go behind you to hit activated spirits that could otherwise explode at you from weird positions.

- If there's something hard to dodge coming your way and you have at least two bars of gauge, you're not supposed to try to dodge it. L2 away and reposition yourself (you'll probably be backing off while charging). Notice that "hard" isn't a fixed amount; you can be very liberal with L2s in rounds 1-5 (more on that in a moment), the same way you must be constantly evaluating your chances vs. every single wave Shiki throws at you because while everything can be considered "hard" you can't just expect to L2 your way through all of it.

- If it's early in a round (or if it's an early round) and you see a dense bullet "formation" which you can't figure out how to reflect through fairies/spirit destruction in half a second, run up to it while charging a L2. You'll gain back some reasonable amount of gauge, score a bunch of points, and raise your charge attack counter by one, which will help you later in the round, even if just a little. Word is that your gauge also starts filling faster the more you use L2s and above.

- The reverse to the above is, never use a L2 if there's not much to be destroyed around and you're not at risk of being hit. You're just wasting gauge.

- Never use L3s. NEVER. It has more or less the same effect as a L2 vs. the AI (nothing), and the increased destruction radius on your side doesn't get even close to compensating the extra gauge wasted. Two L2s are ALWAYS better. The only exception to this is, of course, when you absolutely need to panic-bomb. But being forced into panic-bombing with more than 2 bars of gauge is a bad sign and shows you've been managing your resources in a less-than-optimal way; it's often a sign that you should have used a L2 a few moments earlier.

- MACRODODGE goddamnit

Some other thoughts:

>> you should be at around 20 million points by the time you enter stage 6. if you're not, you're playing too defensively; there's still time to recover, though.
>> the 90 million points extend is extremely hard to get if you don't die more than once during each of stages 6-7-8, and very hard even if you do.
>> the 70 million points extend should come naturally, though, unless you're getting ridiculously lucky with Reimu and winning the later rounds too quickly. but then you aren't needing it  :V
>> do your best vs. first-round Shikieiki; it's impossible to win, but it's also possible to make more than 10 million points in about one minute and a half if you get lucky.

tl;dr; pretend you're Santa and the spirits are the chimneys

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »
Thanks for the help, but I've already failed in my ambition (beat PoFV lunatic by Christmas). I'll keep these tips in mind for the distant future when I give the game another chance.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »
I had a really good UFO run going, and managed to reach Byakuren 2/4 despite dying to Stage 4 Nue, Nazrin's Stage 5 opener with 4 bombs, and a load of other stuff. Game over on Devil's Recitation. Of course, I was annoyed and exited; and about half a second after I chose to quit I remembered that I'd perfected Ichirin during the run. Which, of course, I no longer have the replay of due to ragequitting.

Goddamnit, UFO. D:
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
Ooh, fate does not want me to upload a Christmas video. :'( Last night I recorded a 2cc of Hibachi, but for some reason Youtube refuses to acknowledge I'm trying to upload it. So out of anger, I go and record a REALLY GOOD Hibachi fight, and one of the videos (of course the one with the Crowning Moment of Awesome) is corrupted! D:

But today, I decided I simply had to do something, so I recorded myself playing the PCB demo. I 1cc'd it (poorly, but given the horrible input lag in that game it's a wonder I cleared at all), replayed the video, and...

The sound is 3 seconds out of synch.

;_;
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
No deaths run of UFO Normal, all cards captured.
Then Flying Fantastica kills me FOUR TIMES.

Should have doubled my old high score, but no.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
Failed a PCB Lunatic 1cc.

Died to Youmu multiple times with bombs in stock, died in Youmu at st6, died to Yuyuko with 988 points.. 12 more and I'd get an extend..

This should have been a 1cc =(
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

nintendonut888

« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2009, 12:14:37 AM »

If that error message doesn't go away very soon I'm going to go postal. o_o I've gotten all the way to uploading you, damn thing! If you don't play...

EDIT: Goooood, I was very worried for a while there.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:43:28 AM by nintendonut888 »

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2009, 05:36:56 AM »
Had to go in to work on one of our slowest days of the year (rage in and of itself, if you ask me), and spent at least half the time wishing I could put some of the demos on my work PC.

Of course, the whole call center would know what I was up to by the first clipdeath ....

« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
it's funny...

I actually did just fine on my run of MoF easy...getting through stages 2-4 without continues, finally getting shot down in stage 5. Roughly a month later I check the replay and it shows me losing in stage 4. To be specific backing right into a blue faerie just as momiji starts her cascade.

Weird and annoying.

Speaking of MoF
Kanako's Mountain of Faith
Also known as holy crap rainbow cards argh
HCRCA.

Meaningless acronyms FTW!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:56:21 PM by mew77 »

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »
Remilia Scarlet, lunatic
Unpatched EoSD (Vista)
That is all.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »
it's funny...

I actually did just fine on my run of MoF easy...getting through stages 2-4 without continues, finally getting shot down in stage 5. Roughly a month later I check the replay and it shows me losing in stage 4. To be specific backing right into a blue faerie just as momiji starts her cascade.

Weird and annoying.

Easy Mode is easy, even Normal in MoF is easy as shit even if you bomb it all.

Remilia Scarlet, lunatic
Unpatched EoSD (Vista)
That is all.

I must be missing something here other than "Scarlet Meister/Gensokyo" is bullshit.  What's vista got to do with it?

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
Ffffffffffffffffffffffff-

4/4 into Stage 5. Perfect Cherry Blossom.

-All four are lost without a bomb used-. One by BACKING INTO A DAMN BULLET.

Best run to date and it is RUINED in seconds.

« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2009, 12:03:16 AM »
Only die once to heart cards. Captured Rorschach for first time ever, run is looking possibly solid because I could possibly enter Genetics with 3 spare lives.

clip nonspell before phallic heart rockets, clip phallic heart rockets, clip nonspell after the rockets. Captured Youkai Polygraph for the first time as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:04:51 AM by Enigma »

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2009, 01:09:58 AM »
Only die once to heart cards. Captured Rorschach for first time ever, run is looking possibly solid because I could possibly enter Genetics with 3 spare lives.

clip nonspell before phallic heart rockets, clip phallic heart rockets, clip nonspell after the rockets. Captured Youkai Polygraph for the first time as well.

Well, hey, at least you didn't die at the last second of Subterranean Rose from someone we all know too well...

nintendonut888

« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2009, 01:18:33 AM »
Well, hey, at least you didn't die at the last second of Subterranean Rose from someone we all know too well...

The enraging thing is that whether by coincidence or by design, by constantly shooting Koishi with Reimu A at 4.00 power, you will naturally get trapped by the rotating explosions (or whatever they are) as Koishi is dying and fail the spell card.

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2009, 01:26:35 AM »
@Clear:
Sorry, that was just me spouting crap about things I don't know anything about.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2009, 01:29:44 AM »
The enraging thing is that whether by coincidence or by design, by constantly shooting Koishi with Reimu A at 4.00 power, you will naturally get trapped by the rotating explosions (or whatever they are) as Koishi is dying and fail the spell card.
Easily solved by moving downward with the walls. :V Still, it is pretty annoying... that denied me my first capture of that card.
Let's fight.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2009, 06:17:54 AM »
GODDAMNIT AGAIN

Best run of EoSD ever.  No deaths up to China, a first.  Only died once on her, on Flower Dream Vine.  No deaths and only two bombs on Stage 4; my best is a single bomb at the books, but that's still really good.  Only two deaths on Patchy, and one was with full bombs on friggin' Trilithon Shake.  Then...then things started going wrong.  Death with full bombs on Illusional Misdirection.  A few on Sakuya, get to stage 6 2/2.

Death with a bomb to her midboss opener.  DEATH WITH FULL BOMBS ON ETERNAL MEEK.  Get to Remilia 0/3, game over on Young Demon Lord.

Three deaths with full bombs.  SO GODDAMN CLOSE.  GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT SERIOUSLY GODDAMNIT ALL

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ebarrett

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2009, 07:59:49 AM »
goddamnit it's contagious

EoSD lunatic. First death vs Flower Dream Vine, with one bomb in stock, by pressing "S" instead of "X" to deathbomb. Derp. No more deaths until Patchy, then it all went to hell - died vs. non-directional lasers, died with full bombs, died when 1% away from a capture, absolutely horrible. Probably died some more, I can't really remember.

Entered stage 5 1/1. Died to Illusional Misdirection after bombing it because I messed it up so badly I don't even know where to begin explaining. Then wasted the midboss Sakuya 1up AND the three bombs by AGAIN having my finger slip and press "S" to bomb on FREAKIN' JACK THE LUDO BILE which should be a 100% capture, needing to bomb would have been bad enough already. Still managed to get to stage 6 but game overed vs. Eternal Meek.

« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »
If I didn't die twice at the heart cards I might have actually cleared. Failed a lot at Subterrnean Rose though and didn't even make it to the 3rd phase of it. Oh, and screw Genetics and Philosophy of a Hated Person's last 2 phases. Genetics is pretty much a timeout card for me because I never get there with enough power to kill it and even if I did, I can't do it. And the survival likes to wall me.

Capturing Embers of Love for the first time ever at 0.xx power was pretty nice too.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
Perfected SA Extra except for a death on Philosophy's third phase. <_<
Let's fight.

ebarrett

« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Again denied a MoF lunatic 1cc at the last couple of seconds of VoWG.

Shaky run throughout, though - bombed Minoriko's first nonspell (!), bombed twice during pre-midboss-Hina stage 2 (!!), died on Broken Charm of Protection (meh), needed to bomb twice on both Spin the Cephalic Plate (forgot I was playing ReimuB) and Storm Day (WHAT), deathbomb on Yasaka's Divine Wind (WHAAAAAAT).... only started playing well upon reaching Kanako (even the loleasy stage 6 deathfairy had to be bombed due to leftover bulletspam getting in the way), and by then I was at 0/3.2  :(

Well, at least it was less awful than failing after reaching Kanako at 4/2.5 like I did once before.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
Just tried a no death UFO stage 6 because this is suppose to be harder than EoSD no death stage 6.

Almost did it on my first attempt. Died on Superhuman of all things. I then capture LFO.

I don't get how this is harder. :/

nintendonut888

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »
Just tried a no death UFO stage 6 because this is suppose to be harder than EoSD no death stage 6.

Almost did it on my first attempt. Died on Superhuman of all things. I then capture LFO.

I don't get how this is harder. :/

Because it is, okay? >:<

nintendonut888

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »
I hope Jaimers is happy, because by inspiring me to get serious about UFO stage 6 no deaths he has sucked the fun out of one of my favorite boss fights in the series. As usual, I cannot have fun in this stage now until I beat it.

This wouldn't even be so hard if it weren't for the FUCKING first part of the stage. Those random shooters ruin so many runs it's not funny.

ebarrett

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »
HRtP no-bombs. Mostly perfect stages 1-14 including a perfect Mima fight (who had been obliterating me repeatedly). Entered Kikuri (whom I obliterated in the last few times I played) with full lives. Game over on Kikuri.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2009, 12:46:19 AM »
I got a gripe with PCB. Why does it seem like ZUN really messed up sorting out some parameters (bullet patterns, speeds, etc.) that measure what we, the players, measure as "difficulty"? Easy Mode seems like it has way too many bullets on the later levels, perhaps enough to rival Normal, and to potentially unnerve those who are new to Touhou. Hell, even I felt uneasy seeing Youmu's nonspells the first time on Easy. Imagine a total rookie realizing he doesn't have nearly enough experience to weave through the sets of bullets, or better yet stream the arrowheads while weaving. The very dense and stream-prohibiting "Perfect Cherry Blossom of Sumizome" also comes to mind - I've yet to capture it on Easy because of the "cherry blossom" danmaku, but I randomly almost capped it on my first try during Normal Mode.

I have to play Hard and Lunatic before I can make judgments for them, so nothing about them right now.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2009, 12:52:43 AM »
PCB easy is dispropotionatally hard, yes. It took me much longer to 1cc easy than to 1cc normal.

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »
dfjakajfds

Some of the dumbest deaths I've ever had. I know I could have beaten Shikieki if I hadn't kept messing up. If I die one more time because Yuka was too slow to get out of the way...

Anyone see anything I'm doing really wrong? :(