Author Topic: 'Vampirish Night' Demo Movie  (Read 32506 times)

Drake

Re: 'Vampirish Night' Demo Movie
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
A-F stop please you're only making the situation worse, they get it.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
Well!

If the only problem is miscommunication, then spread the news.

Tell the fans of Touhou about what's happened and do not leave out any important details. Same to the ones over at Newgrounds.

Once we clarify it and if we're quick enough, we can retrieve what's lost and tell the person making the games that everything is all-clear, then we will see an exciting game to play and such.

...besides, isn't it good publicity for your music to be featured in a *Japanese game*? I don't know, I would just think of the poison of oneself to acknowledge that it's a joyful thing.
The Newgrounds people (based on that thread) found out that he was credited in the game.

That problem is that he's been selling the game(s), and according to my reading of the license that counts as commercial use under section 4(b).  The KgZ would have to give permission to the developer to use his music commercially, and I don't think it's likely that he'll do that.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
[...]and I don't think it's likely that he'll do that.

Atleast not anymore.

Drake

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Jesus fuck sorohanro, way to not understand any of my post and belittle me like you're doing for every other person in the thread like you're some royal fucking sage. This is not your problem, and you aren't helping KgZ by brushing off every helpful comment but your own.

EDIT: nvm a-f ilu
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:46:47 PM by Drake »

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »
lol Newgrounds

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Drake

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
I suppose you don't realize that "failgrounds" could prevent him from releasing Vampirish Night and making games altogether. While it is a trivial matter, please don't take it lightly.

I sent the creator an email.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
Kinda sad. Regardless of if someone can legally use someone's music like that if they didn't copywrite it or not doesn't mean they should have from a moral standpoint without asking the guy first. Touhou fans should stick together damnit.

Spidere

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
Kinda sad. Regardless of if someone can legally use someone's music like that if they didn't copywrite it or not doesn't mean they should have from a moral standpoint without asking the guy first. Touhou fans should stick together damnit.

Drake

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
Like I said, the cause is probably the doujin community itself, which bases around using other people's work and rereleasing it in another fashion. To use stuff like that is a sign of respect and they probably didn't know better that we have different rules regarding using material. To have credited him shows that enough already. Either way it doesn't really matter why they didn't contact him, it just needs to be resolved now.

Gpop

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
This is probably one of the saddest things I've seen from a community.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
Newgrounds is pretty much worthless these days, and this is proof.

Barrakketh

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 09:15:49 PM »
Like I said, the cause is probably the doujin community itself, which bases around using other people's work and rereleasing it in another fashion. To use stuff like that is a sign of respect and they probably didn't know better that we have different rules regarding using material. To have credited him shows that enough already. Either way it doesn't really matter why they didn't contact him, it just needs to be resolved now.
Is the non-commercial part of the Japanese version of the license (legalese version) similar to the English version?  Link here.  That is, of course, assuming that the developer didn't try going off of the English version.

Putting the fact that English isn't the developer's first language aside, I wonder if the doujin community's definition of "non-commercial" (and perhaps Japanese law, I dunno) was part of the reasoning that the developer used to determine that using KgZ's music and giving him attribution was sufficient.  There's obviously a plethora of works based on anime and manga properties that, due to the scale and nature of most of the doujin material in question, isn't sufficient to draw the wrath of the studios/publishers that own those properties.

Something less ambiguous is that the license also mentions (in the legalese bit) that:

You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.

While I believe most doujin authors are probably trying to make a little money that could also be left open to differing interpretations if an author is simply recouping the cost of actually making the work available (i.e. costs to cover printing a manga, or cases/CD pressing/manuals, etc.) instead of making a profit.  Some licenses like the GPL spell out that you're able to charge a fee to recoup those kinds of costs.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Barrakketh

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »
Update for those that haven't checked the Newgrounds thread recently:

Quote from: KgZ

Quote from: helmbot56
All right, I got a response. Here's what he said:

--------------------

Thank you for send me KgZ's message.
    Your Japanese is very well.
    And I'm sorry, I'm not good at English.

I know this problem a few days ago, and I want to
    apologize KgZ. But I can't find his e-mail address.
    If you can, please tell me his e-mail address.

Or, if you think my English skill is too much poor,
    please translate and send this message:

[translated from this point on]

Dear KgZ,

Hello. My name is Hiromu.
    I wholeheartedly apologize for using your music without permission.
    I realized that I misunderstood the license when many of your fans sent me messages the other day.

Even I feel like I am no different from a thief.
    But I am deeply moved that despite that, you say that you would still provide me with more music.
    However, I do not feel like I have the right to present myself to someone who creates things anymore.
    I have already suspended releasing my game to the public.
    It is difficult to prevent others from uploading videos, but I will delete any as soon as I find them.

I truly am sorry.
    I don't know whether this will bring an end to your anger, but I looked at a ton of music. Of the songs I listened to, yours were unmistakably the most magnificent. I deeply regret not taking the time to clearly understand the license or contact you.
    I'm so sorry I caused you trouble.
    Please find it in your heart to forgive me.

--------------------

Helmbot, please translate:

---------------------------------
Dear Hiromu,

I accept your apology regarding my music. Again, I am deeply sorry that some of my fans harassed and spammed your accounts the prior days. Let me be clear that it would be very disappointing for you to suspend game development. I saw the video and it seems like you put alot of effort into your project. Please continue your work so that touhou fans can enjoy your games.

Even if you feel uncomfortable using my music, from this point on I have no problem with you using any of my songs. If you decide not to use my music material anymore, that is fine as well.

Take care,

KgZ

And it looks like sorohanro admitted and apologized for overreacting/being a douche :V

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
And it looks like sorohanro admitted and apologized for overreacting/being a douche :V

THE END

Gpop

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Wow I didn't expect such a thing sorohanro!

Drake

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
Crisis mainly averted, it just probably won't show up until C78.

Spidere

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2010, 03:18:30 AM »
Update for those that haven't checked the Newgrounds thread recently:

Helmbot, please translate:

---------------------------------
Dear Hiromu,

I accept your apology regarding my music. Again, I am deeply sorry that some of my fans harassed and spammed your accounts the prior days. Let me be clear that it would be very disappointing for you to suspend game development. I saw the video and it seems like you put alot of effort into your project. Please continue your work so that touhou fans can enjoy your games.

Even if you feel uncomfortable using my music, from this point on I have no problem with you using any of my songs. If you decide not to use my music material anymore, that is fine as well.

Take care,

KgZ

Yay! Barrakketh saves the day!

Barrakketh

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »
I didn't do anything other than copy those posts over here.

Now it's just up to Hiromu to decide if he's going to continue working on the project.

Spidere

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2010, 04:56:36 AM »
I didn't do anything other than copy those posts over here.

Now it's just up to Hiromu to decide if he's going to continue working on the project.

I know, you're still a hero because I'm very bored and want to cheer someone.