Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishment Thread 22: Impossible Spell Cards are No Match For Us!  (Read 211479 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Today, I finally decided to try grinding runs, without any expectations. End result?

EOSD NORMAL NB 1CC GET! :toot:

I was playing with different shottypes, but I don't feel like trying to get this with all of them. The others were literally just a few misses away from getting it too, so it really is just a matter of getting lucky in a few places and not derping in a few more. But I'm fine with what I have.

I really wanted to do this because I thought my previous clears, which were narrow even with bombs, didn't do Normal mode justice. It's noticeably different from harder modes, with some challenging patterns on its own. I'm pretty satisfied now. I got comfortable enough with all attacks, even those that gave me a lot of trouble earlier, like Scarlet Netherworld (which, of course, I had to fail on the one run that got the clear -_-).

It felt awesome to work for this, even if it was just a day. Just run after run, without giving a damn about result, just having fun dodging attack after attack. My first run today didn't clear the game even with all continues, can you believe that? And here I am now. Moral of the story: don't ignore grinding runs. Raw skill is good, but you might also need to get used to the game. Even if things don't look smooth at first, you might just plain need some time playing the game to show what you can really do. The only thing that's needed is to enjoy what you're doing.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
Eeeh.... captured Remi's first spellcard, Young Demon Lord.
Not that big of an achievement I guess, but at least I'm getting better. :P

EDIT: MOF NNB :toot:
Admittedly, it could have been a lot better. 1 death in stage 4 was BS, and another was a clip death. 1 death in stage 5 was me getting trapped by RNG. I could have made it 4 extra lives left in the end instead of 1.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:22:46 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

Andrew

• Retired player
IN Lunatic 1cc

Got this after a bit of practice on Kaguya following the failed run I posted in the derp thread. I was quite sleepy during this run, so there were a lot of silly screwups on the stage portions and on easy spells such as Three Sacred Treasures and Event Horizon, but I'm happy to have bagged another Lunatic clear. Perhaps with some more memorization and better consistency on the random stuff I may go for an LNB at some point (finalA of course, because Kaguya 2hard4me), but that's a challenge for another day.

Gonna do MoF Lunatic 1cc next.

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
DDC Lunatic 1cc. Maybe Marisa-B is "broken" but whatever. That is every main series Lunatic 1cc from EoSD to present (I've also covered extra stages and last words and whatnot). Maybe I'll try to learn scoring now.

I've done this around April (I think), but I haven't figured out how to find my IN replay files until earlier this morning. I think this is still worth sharing here.

Reincarnation "Returning-Bridge Ichijo" Timeout

At the time, I thought it would be a good idea to time out this spellcard. In hindsight, I questioned why I didn't rely on the border team's smaller hitbox for this.

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
After some half-assed attempts in the last month and 2 or 3 hours of serious attempts today I managed to beat the Extra Stage of PCB with Sakuya A! It's my first Extra clear and it's a wonderful feeling, even if I didn't suffer as much as I thought I would ahahaha
The stage section became pretty trivial after having memorised every single part of it (and the action is so hectic that it was quite fun repeating the stage again and again) while the biggest problems with Ran were posed by Wizard Fox Thoughts and Princess Tenko, but it was just a matter of knowing how to deal with them instead of running around screaming and dying like an idiot.
I was quite prepared for Descent of Izuna Gongen thanks to ISC and I resolved to deal with Banquet of 12 General Gods bombing like crazy because fuck that shit Sakuya as tons of bomb and I have to learn how to use them efficiently.
Now I'm going to try to become consistent in clearing this stage and go for the Phantasm Stage,  I've tried it a couple of times and it seems exactly the same thing with the little exception that the bullets move 100% faster... And then there is Yukari but I've got a lot of time to suffer with her.

KingofBaka

• The Strongest!
  • and the Dumbest!
I have just got a PCB 1cc on normal difficulty. It was an amazing run filled with close dodges, epic spellcard captures, and some derpy derp deaths all culminating in a capture of Resurrection Butterfly -30% Reflowering even though it was only my second time making it to the spellcard. So yeah it was a very good 1cc :]

Replay down below if you want to see it.
Normal 1cc: IN,EoSD,MoF,PCB,LoLK-P(403 Retries(Hope to Improve))
Extra Clear:PCB
ISC: All Stages Clear !

For the past 6 days (I think), I've gotten normal clears in the PC-98 shooters (2-5). I can't help but feel I lucked out with PoDD. I doubt I will get around to doing a clear in HRtP since I have little faith in my abilities to play a breakout style game.

Tempted to learn PoDD, LLS, and MS on the higher difficulties. Will probably get around to posting my scores later in the high score threads.

Andrew

• Retired player
MoF Lunatic 1cc

It's one of my weakest games, but thanks to the large amount of bombs, I was able to get it over with quickly.

I'll probably do UFO Hard next.

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
I randomly decided to give TD Ultra Normal a try with Reimu, and I got a 1cc! :toot:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=34425

Even though I kind of barely got the clear, something is still better than nothing. :3

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Vr3foon3k
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:25:24 AM by Ranko Hoshino »
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou Accomplishment Thread 22: Impossible Spell Cards are No Match For Us!
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »
IN Stage 6B Lunatic NMNB run with 4 out of 5 Last Spells captured.

A new personal best on this stage. Only failed Rising World, and it happened with 3 seconds left. It was bound to happen sometime, right? :V This experience can only help me though.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Re: Touhou Accomplishment Thread 22: Impossible Spell Cards are No Match For Us!
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2014, 01:10:17 AM »
I finally learned how to use Yuyuko in Hisoutensoku, which is gonna prove to be really useful since Yuyuko's the relaxed powerhouse of the roster.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2014, 02:01:22 AM »
I finally got my EoSD Hard 1cc! Apparently doing a half-assed run right before bed gets shit done.  :D
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2014, 02:32:58 AM »
I can't believe I finally did it! I haven't played any of the games in a while but I finally finished EOSD on easy with Both A and B characters. I can move onto normal now. But the best thing I've done was I tried IN route B with team A for the first try and I 1cc'd it on easy! Geez talk about clench! Still would like to move onto harder difficulties soon.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Holy shit I just beat PCB Phantasm!!! Why is it that I can suddenly pick up something I haven't done in a month or two and clear it with little trouble? Whatever, I'll take my victory!
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »
PCB Phantasm Clear yassssss
It was a terrible terrible run and I was able to finish it only because I spammed Sakuya B's bombs to skip Danmaku Bounded Field in its entirety but IT'S A CLEAR NONETHELESS  :flowerpower:

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2014, 01:41:14 AM »
UFO Hard 1cc

The last Windows Hard 1cc I was missing. I had put this off for awhile because I heard about it being harder than most of the other games on Lunatic. Based on my experience, I'd say it's about on par with EoSD and IN Lunatic. The UFO system could get annoying at times, but overall, I enjoyed the few days I spent going for this clear, and I think I made the right choice putting this off until I had some Lunatic clears under my belt. Hopefully UFO Lunatic doesn't drive me insane when I go for that.

PoFV, SA and TD Lunatic are the clears I'll probably go for next.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:47:32 AM by Andrew »

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
PCB Hard 1cc

This run is bad. Like, hilariously bad. I finished the game with 0 lives and 0 bombs and I bombed and breaking-bordered (does this even make sense) the entirety of Resurrection Butterfly because I wanted to finish the game and I didn't want to take any risk.
Still this is my first Hard 1cc and it feels so good!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
PCB Hard 1cc

This run is bad. Like, hilariously bad. I finished the game with 0 lives and 0 bombs and I bombed and breaking-bordered (does this even make sense) the entirety of Resurrection Butterfly because I wanted to finish the game and I didn't want to take any risk.
Nonsense. When you're going for a first clear of anything, you shouldn't need to hold yourself back with any extra conditions or take any unnecessary risks. Use all the resources you have at your disposable to get it done; only worry about performing "better" on that mode later on. Congrats on the clear!

And I believe the term would be "border-broke" here. ;)
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:15 PM »
Nonsense. When you're going for a first clear of anything, you shouldn't need to hold yourself back with any extra conditions or take any unnecessary risks. Use all the resources you have at your disposable to get it done; only worry about performing "better" on that mode later on. Congrats on the clear!

And I believe the term would be "border-broke" here. ;)

Thanks!
I'm talking myself down so much because I know I can do better and I know it's just a matter of focus, with the exception of the fifth stage I think I've got a solid grasp of the rest of the game. And I regret sounding so miserable, in fact I'm really proud of myself! I think that clearing SA on Normal did wonders to my self esteem as a Touhou gamer, I feel pumped up and most importantly I'm having tons of fun playing Touhou, it's a beautiful feeling.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »
PCB has given me so much trouble, especially Youmu's spell cards for some reason, just can't seem to see the openings in time. BUT NO MORE! I can't believe I finally beaten PCB on easy, I've tried and tried again but could never make it all the way through Yuyuko. I feel bad because I used continues but now that I have the stage to practice I can start working on my 1cc run and unlock extra mode! (then cry when I try it...)
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2014, 04:17:45 AM »
Probably the best place to mention this since I rather not resurrect the  Fantastic Danmaku Festival thread.

For anyone who has played Fantastic Danmaku Festival, I accidentally discovered a kind of safe spot in stage 2 when I was trying out lunatic. I've been able to replicate the results on hard, but I haven't been too successful replicating this on lunatic. On all the attempts I did this on hard, I pretty much stay at the same spot on my replay. My mindset when I was checking if the start of stage 2 can be a safespot was that the bullet patterns felt suspiciously like those at the end of stage 2 of PCB. I have no idea if this was done before (not enough lunatic videos of this game and not sure if there is anything on places like nico nico douga).

Lunatic Stage 2 Demonstration

Its the first 40 or so seconds of this run. I just decided to record the whole stage since there aren't enough lunatic videos out there.

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2014, 12:59:42 PM »
PCB Hard 1cc

Finishing with no resources seems like a pretty epic clear tbh, I wouldn't feel bad about that run if I was you :P

« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2014, 04:24:30 AM »
okay i'm totally going to yelled at for this but i 1cced mof using marias b broken lasers only for the final spellcard, like seriously that's how bad i was with the final spellcard.(this was on easy mode)
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2014, 05:05:03 AM »
okay i'm totally going to yelled at for this but i 1cced mof using marias b broken lasers only for the final spellcard, like seriously that's how bad i was with the final spellcard.(this was on easy mode)

Kanako's final attack on easy is harder then her final attack on normal mode - which is no slouch for normal mode difficulty, either.
You were dealing with higher-level normal difficulty stuff there, NOT easy mode level. It's natural, and work-aroundable.
Bomb well and it's easy to get there with enough resources to bomb-spam through it.

I'm not sure if there actually is a set pattern to it.
Uh... shouldn't it be obvious?
It does. It's more clearly defined on normal difficulty and up, but the flowery pattern in the center still occurs on easy mode - showing that it does have a pattern. The outer-layer is less dense, however, but instead of folding back in then flying in the opposite direction, it simply flies off in a predetermined direction.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:29:50 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2014, 05:12:34 AM »
Kanako's final attack on easy is harder then her final attack on normal mode - which is no slouch for normal mode difficulty, either.
You were dealing with higher-level normal difficulty stuff there, NOT easy mode level. It's natural, and work-aroundable.
Bomb well and it's easy to get there with enough resources to bomb-spam through it.

yep i'm just glad I finally unlocked practice mode for stage 6 and although I can only use Marisa B it will still help me with that final card. Kanako overall is actually pretty easy but her final spellcard is insane for easy mode. I'm not sure if there actually is a set pattern to it.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2014, 07:02:44 AM »
Also, in terms of actual achievements... NMNB Kanako fight on normal. :V
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:14:36 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
yep i'm just glad I finally unlocked practice mode for stage 6 and although I can only use Marisa B it will still help me with that final card. Kanako overall is actually pretty easy but her final spellcard is insane for easy mode. I'm not sure if there actually is a set pattern to it.
Just so you know, in MoF you can replay-glitch to unlock stages-- just watch a full-run replay with that character/difficulty (fast-forwarding with Ctrl is fine) and it'll unlock that character's stage practice for you.

KingofBaka

• The Strongest!
  • and the Dumbest!
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
I just made it to Rans 3rd last spellcard(The one with Chen) :). This is actually the fastest I am learning an extra bosses attacks.
The hardest spellcards for me are Rans 4th and 7th, but I still have problems with her 2nd,4th,and 6th.
I will probably beat Ran soon.
Normal 1cc: IN,EoSD,MoF,PCB,LoLK-P(403 Retries(Hope to Improve))
Extra Clear:PCB
ISC: All Stages Clear !

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:29 AM »
Fantastic Danmaku Festival Hard 1cc

I had to bomb spam a lot for this clear. This fangame is rather generous with the amount of resources you are given. I also got rather lazy annotating the video. I don't think I have any intentions doing a lunatic clear of this.