Author Topic: Touhou Yu-Gi-Oh! (A personal project...)  (Read 23069 times)

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
Touhou Yu-Gi-Oh! (A personal project...)
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
I'll warn you right now -- I go by the name 'Baroque' on YCM (Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Maker), the forums that is, and so when they say they're working alone, they/I mean it.

I'm going to try to work on this project and complete it -- it's a complete set of ALL major characters from the Touhou Project, made as Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. Preferably using sankuma's art for most of it, considering how good-quality it is (they've got ESoD, PCB, IN and SA covered that I've seen, with IaMP and SWR also represented, though I don't know if there's enough by them to do a full set of MoF or PoFV...).

Unfortunately, I'm currently lagging behind at just Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and even then I'm stuck on (of all things) Cirno's Icicle Fall. MAKING 'EASY' EASY IS NOT EASY. You'll see what I mean at the bottom of the page.

That said, here's the actual cards I've made so far, plus a little bit of explanation for them.

Rumia, Stage 1 Boss. Considering her darkness powers, it wasn't a stretch to give her the ability to flip a card face-down. She also has an effect relating to her involvement in Team 9 -- when searched out by Cirno, she can be put into play. Simple, elegant, and the main mechanic of Team 9.

Cirno. Our beloved ⑨, Stage 2 boss. Note that I got that password completely at random trying to get one to come up with a '9' in it . . . imagine my surprise at getting triple-7 as well. In any case, she can search any Lv4 or lower Touhou char, including Team 9 members; her secondary effect is a reference to, of course, her powers (and very handy, to boot).

Hong Meiling/Meirin/etc., Stage 3 Boss and Not-China. I had a little 'oops' in her initial effect that let it go off even if she was alone, which was far from my intention. In any case, now that I'm looking back at it do I see the irony in her effect . . . but no matter, I stick by it and am glad I made it.

Patchouli Knowledge, Stage 4 Boss, One-Week Wizard, and eventually to be the ONLY Touhou YGO project card to have not two, but FIVE "Spell Card" Spell Cards (Agni Shine, Princess Undine, Sylphae Horn, Rage Trilithon, and Metal Fatigue, respectively) . . . but I'm so busy trying to word Icicle Fall that I'm getting behind on this. Forgive me, Patchouli-sama~!

Sakuya Izayoi, the most heavily-nerfed card in the set thus far. That first effect is the 'protagonist effect' which will appear in Reimu, Marisa (both of whom will be in the IN pack), Youmu, and Sanae besides (and possibly Yuka, as an homage to her PC-98 days . . . maybe; I'm considering giving her a Big Piece Golem effect). The second effect of Sakuya, on the other hand, is the one that got nerfed. Originally, it would be able to fire by discarding a 'Spell Card' Spell Card. However, instead we have it firing off only when she's alone (which combos rather well with the Scarlet Devil Mansion, as you'll see later). Of course, I did not quite note the irony that the picture and effect generate -- one that only an Ancient Gear fan would get -- and so now I can't help but smirk whenever I look at it. Oh, well.

Remilia Scarlet, our favorite Lady Without Mercy. I admit to taking a cue for the effect from one of our own, I believe it was kojiros (correct me if I'm wrong). However, I do hope that you all will forgive me for that. That said, this is a good illustration of why I prefer to write Piercing as 'This card inflicts Piercing Damage' a la Cyberdark Horn (the only official YGO card that does so). Meanwhile, the obligatory Vampire effect is obviously present (revives when killed by card effect), though strangely missing in . . .

Flandre Scarlet, U.N. Owen herself. I don't include the Ritual (or have it made) because that can easily be done later, and is not very important -- it's not going to be anything fancy, just a proclamation that you have to toss monsters to equal or top the level in order to summon ickle Flandre. Also, I should note that there's a reason for the Trap Immunity to be only partial; if not, it'd be horribly broken, and this way she's not immune to cards like Negate Attack or Torrential Tribute that a person could save their everliving hide with.

Koakuma, Stage 4 Midboss and a promise that I'll make the Voile yet. She's also thus far the only Monster card to have a non-sankuma image. Instead, it was found here on safebooru (can't use risque images on YCM cards to be posted on the boards, and I'm sure as heck not going to tout any here!).

The Scarlet Devil Mansion. Image found here. I should note that I'm probably only going to shoot for sankuma art for monsters only, considering that there's little art by them depicting spell card usage (let alone danmaku), and I'm sure as hell not going to find much in the way of it if I just pidgeonhole myself into a single artist. That said, I didn't make this effect a Touhou-monster-exclusive because, frankly, that would just be downright unfair. That said, you can now see why it ended up being that Sakuya combos well with this Field . . . which was interestingly enough completely unintentional. Funny how things turn out, no?

In any case, I hope to get your feelings on these all, even if Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't the main forte of [m]any of the users . . .

And last but not least, I have a dilemma. Cirno's 'Icicle Fall'. I want to give it two isolated effects -- one summoning Cirno, the other destroying a card UNLESS the enemy does something ridiculously simple like revealing a card in-hand or drawing a card (a tribute to Icicle Fall's legendary easy version) -- but unfortunately nothing I reference can give me what I want. At the time of writing, I might have an idea as to how to do it, but it might take a while from there before the rest of them are up. Until then, you'll just have to wonder which Spell Cards I'll make into, well, Spell Cards (besides Patchy's, of course, what with my spoiling them).

Of course, you can suggest Spell Cards for me to make Spells of, and I'll see if I can, and that might make the project go faster for me. Either way, I thank you for going to the trouble of reading this thread.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

KomeijiKoishi

Re: Touhou Yu-Gi-Oh! (A personal project...)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
You know this thread exists just for YGO cards?

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=609.0

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
You know this thread exists just for YGO cards?

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=609.0

Perhaps, but it's mostly 'member makes something, member shows it off, members applaud' . . . and mostly stuff that makes my inner cardmaker writhe in pain; I mean no offense to any of them, it's just that I flat-out can't stand 'custom typing' -- e.g., 'Mechanoid' instead of, oh, maybe 'Machine', or 'Dessert' when a living [killer] marshmallow was given 'Fairy' . . . and it almost physically pains me to not jump in and start fixing OCG as per my usual habits (the only reason I haven't already is that I know full well that that would probably not be welcome here -- the atmosphere on that thread definitely being dissimilar to YCM's).

Meanwhile, I'm what attempting to do is a personal, solitary project -- one where I can get help from others if necessary (as was originally the case with Icicle Fall), but that at its core the effects and themes are purely my own invention.

That's something that I feel would probably not fit in that thread . . . you know what I mean?

Of course, if you all (that is, a good many of you) flat-out feel that I have to put my work in that thread then who am I to refuse . . . but for now, it'll be here.

By the by, what exactly do you think about my work? Is it good?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:30:23 AM by MBurusu »

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:58:07 AM »
My personal problem with texting YGO cards is that I played YGO in German and don't really know the English YGO "vocabulary". Is there any site to look it up?

Your cards... They are pretty well done. The pictures fit percectly together (well, except Koakuma), I'm missing Daiyousei in this set (that's not really a problem. Effects for her are hard to find) and the effects aren't broken, not like some cards from... the other thread.

I'd like to see an SA set.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »
My personal problem with texting YGO cards is that I played YGO in German and don't really know the English YGO "vocabulary". Is there any site to look it up?

Your cards... They are pretty well done. The pictures fit percectly together (well, except Koakuma), I'm missing Daiyousei in this set (that's not really a problem. Effects for her are hard to find) and the effects aren't broken, not like some cards from... the other thread.

I'd like to see an SA set.

If you're looking for a good site to reference OCG ('Official Card Grammar' -- it's YCM slang), the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki is usually the best place to go. Simply look up cards that have effects similar to what you're going for, or look up something similar to the effect itself and hope something comes up -- there's a LOT of reference material in there.

Alternatively, you can go to YCM -- there's plenty of people willing to help out with OCG (myself included in that number). If you don't have an actual card made in the card-maker, you can just go to the 'Written Cards' section.

Also, as for Daiyousei missing here -- she might make an appearance in whatever pack I slap Rinnosuke and Akyu into (I'm DEFINITELY putting them in, but I'm sure as all HELL not putting in Mannosuke -- perhaps make a 'Premium Pack' with those three plus Suika, Tenshi, and Iku?).

And as for the effects not being broken . . . I'm sincerely glad you feel that way; I try my utmost to keep my cards balanced and fair. It's a personal commitment; if a card is broken, then it's not fun to play with, right? And even if it isn't ever going to be used in an actual duel . . . well, I guess it's a hobby of mine to make it playable, as opposed to just making it cool (though I'd like to think that the two overlap every now and again).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, almost forgot; I have a good amount of the SA monsters put together somewhere in a text file, so all I need to do is finish EoSD and I can get on that (sankuma has images for pretty much almost-everyone in that game, though I'll have to root about for a good Zombie Fairy *not content to just having them be Tokens for Orin*). Sound good?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:18:13 AM by MBurusu »

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I like the cards and the pictures are pretty cool too. ^_^ The only thing i don't like about the YCM is that its rather hard to see the rarity sometimes. When you make a card that is broken people will complain about it but sometimes the Rarity of a card justifies its brokenness ya know?  ah well
But yeah i'm surprised you remembered me MB hehe. I don't mind at all if you like the effects of something i did and want to use it yourself. I'm making cards for fun and whatnot anyway. its not like i can sue you or anything  :D

I've been makin cards for a few years now. i made every touhou char from game 6-11 now. and made Shinki, Youki, Mima as well from the PC-98 age. I only have monster cards at the moment very few spells but i'll get to that later i suppose.

My Rumia involves Face-down stuff as well and a hit or miss effect.
I guess making effects based off their abilites is more or less gonna vary slightly from person to person haha. I kinda did the same thing with everyone you made thus far. My Patchy is a Normal Monster though but i'm gonna make her 7 spells as well. The 5 you mentioned and "Sun Sign [Solar Flare]" and "Moon Sign [Silent Selene]".
Good cards though. I like em for sure ^_^ i guess Koakuma could use a better picture but ah well. Just a thought

I like Ancient Gears as well but i sucked at making a deck for them....sad since i have all of them but the ultimate ancient gear golem and all. *sigh*
well if you would like to see any of my cards I'd be happy to post them to you. I should revise some of them and like you i'm open to thoughts and whatnot. As long as people don't base their judgements on the current meta for yugioh ._. the current meta......*sigh* i'd rather not speak of it.
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »
I like the cards and the pictures are pretty cool too. ^_^ The only thing i don't like about the YCM is that its rather hard to see the rarity sometimes. When you make a card that is broken people will complain about it but sometimes the Rarity of a card justifies its brokenness ya know?  ah well
But yeah i'm surprised you remembered me MB hehe. I don't mind at all if you like the effects of something i did and want to use it yourself. I'm making cards for fun and whatnot anyway. its not like i can sue you or anything  :D

Erm . . . we do seem to disagree on a few points here. 1) Rarity doesn't really matter (and besides, the only rarities that are hard to distinguish are A) Super-Rare VS Common, B) Regular Rare Spell/Trap, and C) Ultra Rare VS Ultimate Rare), and 2) Rarity does not by any means justify a broken effect. For a good reason why, see 1) every detractor of Dark Armed Dragon and 2) my various/myriad complaints about Goyo Guardian (i.e., the first Synchro ever to be put on the Limited List), and 3) the complaints of Advanced players who gripe about Traditional's use of 'banned cards'*. Just because a card is rare, doesn't mean it is excusable. Broken is broken, no matter what rarity. But still, I thank you for the complement.

*It should be noted WHY the Banned List (and Advanced Format) was made in the first place. 'Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End'. Secret Rare of Invasion of Chaos, and one of the most broken cards in the game right up there with Raigeki (Ultra Rare), Harpie's Feather Duster (Ultra Rare), and Yata Garasu (Secret Rare -- until it was reprinted as a COMMON).

I've been makin cards for a few years now. i made every touhou char from game 6-11 now. and made Shinki, Youki, Mima as well from the PC-98 age. I only have monster cards at the moment very few spells but i'll get to that later i suppose.

Hmm... I'll actually ask to NOT see it, thank you -- I have my own ideas about the cards, and would rather not run the risk of throwing them out (though my Tewi might be a LITTLE overpowered, need to go through my file again) in favor of someone else's -- Remilia was a singular case.

My Rumia involves Face-down stuff as well and a hit or miss effect.
I guess making effects based off their abilites is more or less gonna vary slightly from person to person haha. I kinda did the same thing with everyone you made thus far. My Patchy is a Normal Monster though but i'm gonna make her 7 spells as well. The 5 you mentioned and "Sun Sign [Solar Flare]" and "Moon Sign [Silent Selene]".
Good cards though. I like em for sure ^_^ i guess Koakuma could use a better picture but ah well. Just a thought

Erm . . . by 'hit or miss', I can only assume it involved a coin flip or dice roll... And I honestly didn't know about Solar Flare and Silent Selene -- I used Touhou Wiki's page of her EoSD spells, and only saw the, shall we call them 'Wu Xing spells', as single-sign spells.

I like Ancient Gears as well but i sucked at making a deck for them....sad since i have all of them but the ultimate ancient gear golem and all. *sigh*

Here's a hint for Ancient Gear Decks -- get 'Geartown' (Common card, Field Spell that reduces the Tribute cost of Ancient Gears by 1, found in the Duelist Genesis [Stardust's pack]), as well as some good TRAP MONSTERS (Phantom Darkness has two -- Metal Reflect Slime [Ultra Rare, Lv10 3000-DEF WALL] and Zoma the Spirit [Super Rare, Lv4 1800-ATK 500-DEF Zombie that Summons itself in Defense Position and will, upon being killed in battle, inflict damage equal to its killers ATK {to the opponent that killed him}]; the Machine Re-Volt Structure Deck came with a Trap Monster as well, Stronghold the Moving Fortress). Why Trap Monsters? They're Special Summons -- play one, two even, then Tribute for INSTANT GEARS. But that's just how my deck ran, personally (make sure to run Engineer -- Giant Rat searchable, Lv5 = good fodder for Factory, and on top of that is Spell/Trap Destruction, even if he's Sakuretsu'd) . . .

well if you would like to see any of my cards I'd be happy to post them to you. I should revise some of them and like you i'm open to thoughts and whatnot. As long as people don't base their judgements on the current meta for yugioh ._. the current meta......*sigh* i'd rather not speak of it.

Eh, my view of the 'current meta' is simply 'killer themes'. Gladiator Beasts? Been around since their debut, have only gotten more serious (people are side-decking Deck Lockdown and Transmigration Break now). Synchros? Not so scary after all -- bar Stardust, each goes down the same as any other. Blackwing? Damn straight they're broken, and only a few of their cards are above Regular Rare (hell, you don't even NEED half of them to still kill everyone) . . . a budget theme for budget broken.

Oh, and one more thing, this one for koishi -- it's a funny thing; I searched sankuma's archives on both Safebooru AND Danbooru, but . . . guess who's missing of the SA cast? KOISHI. I might, however, have a different artist for them, but I could be wrong. In any case, I've got the effect written out for Icicle Fall, and just need to transfer it to the cardmaker and then the machine'll get running again.

Also, and this is for everyone reading now -- does anyone have recommendations for Spell Cards to showcase for . . .

Rumia, Meiling, or Remilia?

. . . It's hard to choose for Rumia, Meiling = haven't-even-looked/don't-know-what's-iconic-enough, and Remilia's definitely going to get Gungnir but I don't know what else -- Red the Nightless Castle?

That said . . . sayonara~!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:13:43 PM by MBurusu »