Author Topic: Let's Tour MotK Fanworks Listing - Now Complete! Second post: Library Catalogue  (Read 259924 times)

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
I would like to note that my "Blackout" piece was a one time short story. So it's actually complete despite its very short length.

Thank you.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
I would like to note that my "Blackout" piece was a one time short story. So it's actually complete despite its very short length.

Thank you.

Noted and changed accordingly, thanks.

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
Thank you.

Oh... I forgot to mention too. The url to the story is incorrect (unless it's supposed to be that). Sorry about not mentioning...

Chaore

Oh... I forgot to mention too. The url to the story is incorrect (unless it's supposed to be that). Sorry about not mentioning...

...Hurrr, knew I was going to do that on at least ONE story. Fixed as well, thanks.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Notice to Librarians: Please do not touch the second post in this thread until further notice. I have today off from work, so I'm finally going to fulfill the offer I made to Ruro a month or two ago. This process shouldn't take more than just today, but any work you do while I'm doing what I'm doing will be completely lost once I'm finished.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Could I ask you to at least share what you plan to do? I hope you can understand that the thought of having our main-work reconstructed so suddenly does not sit well with me. Ruro told me you were planning "something" but couldn't give any more details.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Could I re

Sure you ca

:V

I'm basically reorganizing the entire listing. Stories are going to be divided up into categories based on genre, and listed within those categories alphabetically by title. The reason I do this is because, to be perfectly honest, the index as it is now is just a giant blob of info. I look at it and ponder how someone could use it to search for something they might like, or something they remember liking but forgot where it was. And I have no particular answer to this, because there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the order in which things are presented now that is functionally useful on a user level. (Maybe they're organized by date? I haven't checked that extensively, but if they are, that's not useful to a user at all.) With the stories organized even just by genre, a prospective new reader can go into it and think "Hmm, I want my Toohoos to be subject to something grimdark" and they can skip straight to the grimdark or suspense sections instead of having to wade through a huge list of stuff they don't care about to randomly find the occasional nugget that might actually interest them.

This does raise a few obvious questions, which I will do my best to answer right now.

What about stories that are in more than one genre?

- They will be put in the category that corresponds to the first listed genre, and every additional genre after that will have a ## in front of it (hi Mafia!) for ease of Control-F. Thus, a story that was originally listed as "Action, Comedy, Slice of Life" would now be listed under the Action category as "Action, ##Comedy, ##Slice of Life". That way, a person looking for a Comedy story can browse through the entire Comedy section, and then search for "##Comedy" to find everything that they missed.

Why not just have them use Control-F on the current listing?

- Because it's still nicer on the reader to have the vast majority of what they're looking for in one place that they can scroll up and down and use to make comparisons between two or more stories that may interest them, instead of having to jump up and down to look back and forth. It also looks slightly more professional.

Why alphabetically within genre, as opposed to retaining the current numbering system?

- Because sometimes people will remember parts of titles. If you can't remember the name of the story you really want to get back to, but you remember what genre it was and what the first word or two at least began with, alphabetizing them makes it easier to find it again. Admittedly this probably won't come up very often, but it's still a better user-end function than listing them chronologically.

What about organizing based on character appearance?

- No, or at least not right now. This would be incredibly hard to do in a meaningful capacity. Some stories may stick entirely within one game's cast, some stories may branch out to touch on as many different games as they can. And where does one draw the line in defining that any given character has appeared prominently enough within the story to be worth considering as the story gets categorized by game? Different people will have different opinions on this. If there is ever a consensus answer to this question, then perhaps I will go back and look through everything again and reorganize by game/doujin/CD of origin, but until then it would be an incredibly subjective exercise and thus not necessarily conducive to proper reference use on the user end.

If there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Dead Princess Sakana

Gotcha. Good luck on that, sounds like a good amount of work o7

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Reorganization finished! Many thanks to all the #s-l users and staff that helped me with the specifics as I plodded along in taking care of this, but major thanks go out to Drew McIntyre and Shaman's Harvest for keeping me sane all day while I did this. Everyone give Broken Dreams a listen as a thank you to those guys!

If anyone would like to look over the new organization and point out anything I might have screwed up, feel free to let me know. There is also the small "Needs Organization" section at the very bottom: any Librarians with time on their hands that can help sort that would be much appreciated.

Worth noting: Entries #067, #136 and #235 no longer exist.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:43:55 AM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

I noticed while my Visual Novel is up, Graph and Iced and co.'s is not. Did they request for it not to be put up or something?

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Well there's the fact that it's still very much a demo.

Still if someone wants to put a link to the demo I'm fine with it.

Still if someone wants to put a link to the demo I'm fine with it.
Speaking of which how is progress?

Dead Princess Sakana

This was the main reason, yes. But sure, we can put in a link with the next update of the list.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
Speaking of which how is progress?
Slow but steady.  Only having Graph available for art kinda hurts, but he's an awesome dude so things keep progressing.  I think we'll have a much more serious demo ready by next Summerish.  Chapters 1 and 2.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Well, got a dozen summaries up. Someone else'll need to categorise them.

dammit why did no-one say we had a backlog to work through i would have done this some other time when i wasn't needing to leave -_-

Nosebleed

• Boisterous Imagist
whoa whoa whoa.

Why the word 'perversion' on the description of my fanfic, Crossing the Border?  It's not exactly a core element of the story.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
whoa whoa whoa.

Why the word 'perversion' on the description of my fanfic, Crossing the Border?  It's not exactly a core element of the story.

Perhaps not, but it's there. (I mean no harm from this statement)
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Nosebleed

• Boisterous Imagist
Perhaps not, but it's there. (I mean no harm from this statement)

That's true.  It is especially evident in the first three arcs.

Chaore

That's true.  It is especially evident in the first three arcs.

Which is around when I wrote that summary, I believe. If you believe the summary no longer properly fits (Fairly likely if the story has changed a lot), I'll be happy to take a second look at it and revise the summary.

This is actually a general service to all stories in the listing, to note- Just send a PM my way. Summaries change as stories lengthen, after all.

Nosebleed

• Boisterous Imagist
Which is around when I wrote that summary, I believe. If you believe the summary no longer properly fits (Fairly likely if the story has changed a lot), I'll be happy to take a second look at it and revise the summary.

This is actually a general service to all stories in the listing, to note- Just send a PM my way. Summaries change as stories lengthen, after all.

Thanks for the help.  PM'ed.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
IMPORTANT: Operation Thunfisch: The Library Catalogue Cleanup
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »
Are you ready to work like a slave reading fiction for the Touhou community? Are you prepared to dive into the depths of our unorganized bookshelves to track down elusive summaries? Are you willing to not save 15% off your car insurance by switching to PSL?

If so, then this project is for people like you!

The MotK Fanworks Listing, version 2.0: The Bookshelf Menace

Depicted: An artist's rendition of Sakana's reaction when he sees disorganized bookshelves. For srs.

The Perspective
About a year and a half ago, we decided that the fanworks section needed some serious tidying up-- a listing of works, with summaries and genres attached, to stir up interest in reading from people who would otherwise read, but didn't have time to sort through the mess. That project came to fruition as the PSL Library Catalogue, which stands proud to this day.

Well, mostly.

Y'see, the original plan was to have three Librarians (now four) tasked with keeping the catalogue up to date. However, in the months following the completion of the catalogue, something curious happened as an unforeseen side effect. We suddenly started getting a lot more fanfiction in PSL. Enough that the Librarians, limited as they were by time and IRL priorities, haven't been able to keep up.

The Plan
So we are launching another incentive to fight back against the forces of chaos and disorder! I hereby announce that we are going to overhaul our original plan, and move to a new system where we will try to have a big "cleanup" every few months (either once every four months, or once every six months), where we sort through all unsummarized works and file them into the Fanworks Listing.

And for that, we will take any volunteers that want to help out; old regulars as well as new people are all invited to take part. We are hoping for a few volunteers, but no more than ten, since that makes work distribution terribly unwieldy and gives my moe-moe Sakana headaches.

So for those who would like to help, please post here or PM me or Sakana. After we get ourselves more organized, the work that needs to be done will get organized into preliminary lists and sent to the volunteers, who will then send back summaries in the style of the current listing. Or, like this:

Code: [Select]
[b]Name: [url=web address of the fic goes here]title of fic goes here[/url][/b]
[b]Author:[/b] author goes here
[b]Status:[/b] is it ongoing, on hiatus, or what?
[b]Genre:[/b] Primary genre, ##secondary genre-- use your best judgment on this
[b]Summary:[/b] Summary goes here

Currently we have as main genres Action, Adventure, Drama (includes Tragedy), Romance, Slice of Life, Comedy, Parody, Crossover, Mystery and Suspense, Poetry, Short Story Collections, and Miscellaneous and Other. Try to use those main genres as the primary genres, if you can.

The Plea
Unless you want to see me and Sakana turn into undead literary zombies (again!), you are welcome to help any way you can, as this is a rather daunting task and we really need the help.

Current list of project members for easy PM spam access
Sakura Rurouni Sakuramochi~ (that's me!)
Sakana~n (that is Thunfisch)
Iced Iced Fairy (not to be confused with 'Ice Ice Baby')
Roukan, Rou nyan, ni hao nyan~
Chaowabbit (be vewy, vewy quiet!)
Squawkermaru Aya (the early squawker catches the bookworm)
K-Polaris (I do not need a new nickname for you :3c)
Sectretary (you can blame Matsuri for getting this awful pun stuck in my head)
Roark Desmond Jaffar (I am never going to stop loving this name >:D)
Tic-TAC-Toe (once again, blame Matsy)
JoveusMolai
Mr. Rabi
LogosOfJ

List of tasks so far:
Recruitment post
Start organizing lists of work (We are here!)

All right, I think that's it. Do join us, if you have any interest in helping out.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
Re: Operation Thunfisch: The Library Catalogue Cleanup
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »
And now my plans for world domination can begin!

Er I mean sure, I'll sign up.    :3

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2011, 09:12:45 AM »
And so it begins, hehehe....

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
You had me at "dive into the depths". :V

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »
I'll give it a go.

Chaore

« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »
Reporting for duty.

...come to think of it, didn't I say to count me in normally anyway? :V

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst