Author Topic: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon  (Read 70384 times)

Re: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2016, 03:36:51 AM »
I heard a valid strat is just to save tons of pidgeys and rats then wait until you can get a lucky egg from pokestop coins and evolve them all for double exp. Probably going to have to do that to maximize on limited resources.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2016, 05:11:04 AM »
Information stuff:
1: A Google Engineer has stated that the maps bypass does not work. At all.
2: I don't know how accurate this is, but there's a rarity chart for Eggs based on KM.
3: This is probably a troll, but somebody data mined the game and found a McDonald's logo.
4: Posting off of phones is a pain when you have images; attachments are cool.

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2016, 05:20:26 AM »
Re: server problems, if the server seems even the slightest bit unstable I would suggest just not playing until it seems better. "No Pokemon nearby" is the biggest clue to servers being wonky as far as I'm aware; there should always be at least one Pokemon nearby. I like using this site to check the server status if I have any doubts.

Drake

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2016, 05:34:18 AM »
The map download thing shouldn't do anything. 1) If they're using the Maps API then they're going to be... using the API calls to grab tiles, not checking a local stored version of a map (besides what's cached already). How would it access it anyways? 2) If this actually worked then we'd know about it from Ingress existing for years already.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:35:52 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2016, 05:39:50 AM »
It did seem too good to be true, but nobody posted a counter to Chirei's post yet, so I figured I might as well, before half the people here spend 500MB on maps.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2016, 06:14:23 AM »
Their guidelines say you can only have one account. This makes playing with friends and family  difficult when they're on the same teams.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2016, 06:57:25 AM »
They want to prevent team sabotage. What they are okay with (or at least, haven't suspended accounts over, yet) is backpack accounts. It'll only be useful once trading is a thing, but you can store items and Pokemon on a separate account and Niantic doesn't care. If you're playing with a mixed team group, the only solution they offer is not caring, which defeats the purpose of teams.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:30 AM »
Out of curiosity I've checked this game for my iPhone 5s. Not sure if they intend to implement, but why the hell did they leave out the most crucial element of Pokemon: Battling and training your caught pokemon.

The game is just walk and catch. It would've been far more interesting if you would actually walk out and play like the actual game. The Gyms alone don't justify for this. Completely missed the boat for now.

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
Well, the whole point of Pokemon Go is for it to be a walk and catch game (like geocaching or Ingress). It seems a little unfair to compare it to main series Pokemon games when they're fundamentally different :v

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:49 PM »
I broke down and got it. Thought it would be a lost cause on account of my living in a tiny, remote country.

Instead, there are 2 gyms and a dozen stops within a block of my apartment. And apparently a Charmander and a Horsea were hanging out in my room. I don't know what that's about but I should have a talk with them about proper social boundaries I guess.

e: I suppose using incense isn't cheating, is it? I mean I'm going to walk eventually but you know.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:14:00 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
That moment when there's sparse stops around me for miles, and then I decide to go with my sister to our university.

e: I suppose using incense isn't cheating, is it? I mean I'm going to walk eventually but you know.

I believe the incense is there specifically so that you can get pokemon while idle. I think every five minutes I usually have one appear right next to me (or even under me, check carefully!) while it's on.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »
Local business has a lure up 24/7 and the best/worst name

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 03:36:25 PM by Moogs Parfait »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
Local business has a lure up 24/7 Ave the best/worst name

There's a Pokestop a mile from my house just called "Crypts" that's just two adjacent crypts.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
I'm kind of jealous that all of my town's stops are legitimate interesting non-silly things. The "worst" we get are memorial benches.

Also living in New England is a severe advantage in terms of stops because there are churches everywhere here.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Tengukami

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
All the Icelandic Pokestops so far are either weird-ass statues or graffiti. I'm OK with this.

And the incense paid off: I now have nine pokemons, although the strongest only has 49 CP (Pidgeotto).

Damn shame I'm nowhere near the Westboro Baptist Church.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Gotta give the devil his due: the WBC is clearly committed to Pokemon anime canon in choosing a Jigglypuff to counteract a Clefairy.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Also living in New England is a severe advantage in terms of stops because there are churches everywhere here.

Assuming you're in the more populated regions, sure, yeah

Tengukami

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
So I went to the nearest Pokestop to my place. I'm standing there in kind of my own world, doing my thing, when I look up to see this teenaged kid with a smartphone standing next to me.

We regarded each other, nodded in solemn recognition of what brought us together in front of some stranger's garage, and then parted ways. It was quite the moment for both of us, I'm sure.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
I'm kind of jealous that all of my town's stops are legitimate interesting non-silly things. The "worst" we get are memorial benches.
I have some cow sculptures in a center near my house and they get called "Cows".

I'M kind of jealous of all the people who seem to be able to catch stuff at home.

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
I have some cow sculptures in a center near my house and they get called "Cows".

I'M kind of jealous of all the people who seem to be able to catch stuff at home.

If I leave my phone with PoGo on, occasionally something will show up every 30-60 minutes, but I think it's because my neighborhood has plenty of greenery. Then again, I was at my friend's neighborhood with significantly less and still getting something at around the same interval or more just idling and playing MtG. I have no idea what determines this.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
Near as I can tell the spawn points are semi-static.  My neighbor 2 doors down has a grass spot more often than not and pokemon spawn in her house every morning.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »
The average age of guys in my office is probably 40, but this morning I found out more than half of them play Pokemon Go. One of them was asking me for tips earlier, but in some bizarre attempt to save jock face was desperately trying to avoid saying the word "Pokemon". I don't believe the two of us have ever exchanged that many words about anything.

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
I just got back from another 3km walk and was met with a delightful surprise. The servers went down as I arrived at my house, but apparently it was logging the extra meters I was walking even though it crashed, so when I opened the app again one of my eggs was out of the incubator, and in its place this little dude:

I couldn't have asked for a better result, barring one that was ultra-fat. One question, though. Why does this thing have almost three times as much health as other ~200CP pokemon I have, who only have about 30? I knew the Igglybuff line had higher than normal health, but not 3x as much???

Also bonus round upon turning on the app in my room:

>try to catch it
>THE SERVERS FUCKING GO DOWN

>turn the app back on
>IT'S STILL THERE

D E T E R M I N A T I O N

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »
About spawn points...

There's a spawn point where I touched the map, and two PokeStops. Just out of reach.

What a fucking troll. I'm not looney enough to exit the house to a busy intersection every five minutes. And it's mostly Ekans anyway.

First world PokeProblems.

EDIT: But BT! Why don't you just sit outside and grind? Because it's humid as you wouldn't believe. Man they could have at least dropped a few water types for extra sense-making.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:21:32 PM by BT »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
Shit, at least it's right outside your house.

Drake

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »
I hope we'll get more spawn points and stuff once Canada goes live, these situations sound way more plentiful than what I'm seeing

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
So it turns out that despite my phone being brand new and claiming the contrary, it does not have a gyroscope. So no AR shenanigans for me, which is pretty disappointing. Maybe someone will come out with a reliable hardware or software stopgap, or maybe Niantic will allow other methods of using AR eventually, although obviously that should be pretty low on their list of priorities right now.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2016, 10:22:17 PM »
they gave me the power to name pokemon we're doomed

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »
You know, before this game came out, I never really realized just how many people live in my city. Now I go out to a 'quiet' area and see a car and three people. I wonder what downtown area is like. Or worse, Seattle. I mean, I think that a tourist city that also serves as a train terminal for several other cities and an international airport might get a little bit more crowded because of this game. Maybe.

EDIT: I can't even imagine Times Square right now.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2016, 10:53:54 PM »
I got my first Defender Pokebucks today o/
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"