Author Topic: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon  (Read 70092 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Pokemon Go: Looking Silly In Public For Pokemon
« Reply #480 on: August 09, 2016, 05:39:58 AM »
So I'm level 21 right now and I have two Pokemon with capped levels, a Flareon and a Cloyster. Their CP is about 500 apart though. Cloyster has a little over 1100 CP, and Flareon has about 1600. Why is that? Does each Pokemon within a species have a different cap, or do species all cap at the same CP for a given level? Does this mean my Cloyster is horrible and I should never use it, or does it have some other trait that offsets the low CP?
Each Pokemon has its own Level, base stats and a random generated set of bonus stats for Attack Defence and Stamina (called Individual Value (IV)). IV is determined upon "birth" (or when the Pokemon is encountered). All this combined form the CP as far as I know.

If you're level 21 and you have maxed out Flareon and Cloyster, it means they are level 21,5. A pokemon can be never a higher level than the trainer (excluding the 0,5).

I am unsure how you can read out the base stats, but their IV can be checked here: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator

Two Flareons can technically have the same CP for exact same trainer level and exact same IV. But a Cloyster and Flareon are two different Pokemon.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:41:51 AM by Helepolis »

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:55 AM »
So wait, how is this supposed to work? I have a new radar but I don't understand it. Nearby window has been replaced by a "sightings" window and all of the Pokemon in it have a grass icon behind them now, but what does that change? Is it somehow now possible to actually use this to track?

Edit: For the first time ever my Pokedex is functional after this update, so that's something at least.

I haven't updated yet, but from what I hear, when you tap the icons in the Sightings window (it's been renamed), it goes to a zoomed out map in which you can get a much better idea of where the Pokemon you're looking for is.

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #482 on: August 09, 2016, 06:38:53 AM »
I haven't updated yet, but from what I hear, when you tap the icons in the Sightings window (it's been renamed), it goes to a zoomed out map in which you can get a much better idea of where the Pokemon you're looking for is.
No idea where you got this info. Nothing happens when I tab it. Rebooted the app several times > still nothing happens.

Edit Reading around on Reddit, there is a 'sightings' and 'nearby' in the tracker menu. The 'nearby' is the behaviour you described. The sightings is for now doing nothing
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4wu2ky/my_tracker_just_updated_with_an_enhanced_nearby/d69yi48
http://imgur.com/a/KXY80

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:45:05 AM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #483 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »

Each Pokemon has its own Level, base stats and a random generated set of bonus stats for Attack Defence and Stamina (called Individual Value (IV)). IV is determined upon "birth" (or when the Pokemon is encountered). All this combined form the CP as far as I know.

If you're level 21 and you have maxed out Flareon and Cloyster, it means they are level 21,5. A pokemon can be never a higher level than the trainer (excluding the 0,5).

I am unsure how you can read out the base stats, but their IV can be checked here: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator

Two Flareons can technically have the same CP for exact same trainer level and exact same IV. But a Cloyster and Flareon are two different Pokemon.

So what does that mean practically? Does that just mean the Cloyster is horribly weak and should go straight in the dumpster because the combination of those factors is showing a CP so massively lower, or does it not matter so directly? 

Obviously in real Pokemon IVs could cause some variance in stats, but never to the point of one Pokemon of the same level having fully 50% more stats than another.

No idea where you got this info. Nothing happens when I tab it. Rebooted the app several times > still nothing happens.

Edit Reading around on Reddit, there is a 'sightings' and 'nearby' in the tracker menu. The 'nearby' is the behaviour you described. The sightings is for now doing nothing
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4wu2ky/my_tracker_just_updated_with_an_enhanced_nearby/d69yi48
http://imgur.com/a/KXY80

How do I get to the "nearby" menu then? All I see is Sightings.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #484 on: August 09, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »
On one hand, don't take my word for it as the info I find could be completely wrong, and I haven't bothered yet to test it, but on the other hand, here's the source (reddit). The functionality was mentioned in the title, and I'm not seeing anyone correcting this OP. In fact, somewhere in there, this video (twitter) was linked, which backs up the claim.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #485 on: August 09, 2016, 01:29:04 PM »
So what does that mean practically? Does that just mean the Cloyster is horribly weak and should go straight in the dumpster because the combination of those factors is showing a CP so massively lower, or does it not matter so directly? 

Obviously in real Pokemon IVs could cause some variance in stats, but never to the point of one Pokemon of the same level having fully 50% more stats than another.

According to stat pages, a completely max level, perfect IVs Flareon and Cloyster should have a 600 CP gap, which is a 23% difference.  So if there's a 500 point difference at level 21, your Cloyster is probably just shitty.  That said, species do have different stat blocks.  Flareon has a very strong offense stat, which makes most of the CP difference.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #486 on: August 09, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
Alright, I IV tested Toasty Boy the Flareon and Snappy Boy the Cloyster. Toasty got an A- in his stats, Snappy got a turbo-F. Time to neglect him forever then I guess. And I spent sooo muuuuch stardust on him...

Maybe my Golduck will do better.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
Even outside the maingames, IVs doing nothing but ruin everything, I see.  I've always thought they were a terrible concept that has no business existing.

"Oh, you put the same amount of effort into your Pokemon?  Doesnt matter, itll still be less powerful than it should be because screw you that's why."
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
How do I get to the "nearby" menu then? All I see is Sightings.
A selective number of users seem to have been "blessed" as a form of beta test or something. If you don't have it then you're not selected. (I don't have it either).

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
Ugh. The urban/suburban/rural, whale/IAP/non-IAP and hard cheat/soft cheat/fair play divisions didn't give Niantic a harsh enough haves vs. have nots divide, huh? Now we need allowed to track Pokemon/not allowed to track Pokemon too? Classy.

Well, I hope they get this rolled out to everyone quickly because I'm getting tired of not really being able to play. Then again, maybe not. If they roll it put quickly then it'll probably be horrribly broken and not actually fix the problem.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #490 on: August 11, 2016, 12:05:31 AM »
Apart for like 5 minutes this afternoon, the servers have been down for me for 24 hours now.

Well, at least I dropped a 1200CP Golduck into a gym juuuust before this happened.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #491 on: August 11, 2016, 12:46:07 AM »
Servers are fine on my end? Then again, I use Google for login, so I don't know if that has to do with anything.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:28 AM »
Things are more stable for me now than ever. I use Google as my login too.

Tengukami

« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2016, 01:38:32 AM »
Well shit. Guess I'll figure something out.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #494 on: August 11, 2016, 01:59:28 AM »
Latest Update for iOS (Pokemon GO 1.3.1):
  • Stability improvements
  • No text fixes

Tengukami

« Reply #495 on: August 11, 2016, 02:09:50 AM »
It's just really frustrating because this "cannot connect to the server" shit started immediately after the update. I've seen people here talking about connecting. I've seen occasional people downtown connecting. But for whatever reason, I'm not, and the message is consistently for server reasons. Which just doesn't seem right in light of all this.

No possible idea why this is happening and the internet is being entirely unhelpful about it. Kinda bums me out to be honest.

Drake

« Reply #496 on: August 11, 2016, 03:47:29 AM »
If you use a PTC account, can you log in through the website? That's the first thing I'd check to see if it's something local or not.

On a side note I now have 58 62 Bulbasaur candy from meticulously checking the school field. I found two three today so far and I expect at least one more. I'll get that Venusaur eventually! Only 17 16 Bulbas to go!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:54:26 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

« Reply #497 on: August 11, 2016, 09:11:20 AM »
If you use a PTC account, can you log in through the website? That's the first thing I'd check to see if it's something local or not.

Yeah, attempting to sign in to PTC gives me the same Humbled Server message.

Maybe the update was to lock Iceland out!

EDIT: OK this is really weird. I still can't connect through Google. I can through PTC, but it starts me at the very beginning.

I have reinstalled the game, updated every Google-related app I have, and have deleted all traces of my second Google account from my phone. The servers are fine. There's people out there right now playing this game with wild abandon but I can't pick up where I left off.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

EDIT OF EDIT: The only solution I have found that can be replicated is to first sign in through the PTC, sign out, then sign in again via Google. No idea why this happens but I'd be very interested to know, if anyone can shed some light on this.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:07:40 PM by Tengukami »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #498 on: August 12, 2016, 04:43:16 PM »
So I've been sitting on this problem for a few days where I'm just out of Pokeballs, and I haven't had the time to take a trip to a place where I can actually collect a significant number of them, so I just haven't been playing at all. Normally I would at least check my surroundings periodically from my desk, but I'm not even bothering right now.

@Tengu: I wish I could help, that sounds really shitty. But unfortunately I got nothing. So is this a common problem in your region or is it just you?

Tengukami

« Reply #499 on: August 12, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »
 I really don't know. It may be an issue with some folks here and there. Popping in to PTC, signing out, and then singing through Google is not the perfect solution, but it sorta works anyway. I'm tempted to just start over through the PTC. Seems more reliable anyway. Though it would suck to start from scratch when I'm at 20, it's better than not being able to play at all!

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #500 on: August 12, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »
From my experience, it's the PTC that's unreliable, but that's just me. I can't even be bothered to play this non-game ever since it became less of a game and remained just as unstable.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #501 on: August 12, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »
From my experience, it's the PTC that's unreliable, but that's just me. I can't even be bothered to play this non-game ever since it became less of a game and remained just as unstable.
I think the app is generally pretty stable nowadays, aside from this Iceland business just now. I still have coworkers talking about the game here and there so I'm looking to get back into it when they enable the beta tracker for everyone. Or when they enable trading. I kinda want the app to be a true multiplayer game already and not this weird private collecting thing.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #502 on: August 12, 2016, 07:24:55 PM »
I feel like I'm on board to keep going until the community stops being really fun. It's slowed down a bit locally, but still plenty of people playing. Many coworkers too which is fun. I've had a shelf of those Tomy Pokemon figurines in my office for years and since PoGo came out people come in to look at them all the time.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #503 on: August 13, 2016, 03:15:59 AM »
By "stops being really fun", do you mean slowing down? Most likely, after the initial surge of users due to global releases and whatnot, there's likely going to be mini-surges at every Generation Update. Add in the fact that mechanics are still in the process of being found, the game probably won't drop off for a few years, at least. When you get bored of it is another story, though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #504 on: August 13, 2016, 04:27:22 AM »
What I mean is that every time I go downtown there are hundreds of people playing it absolutely everywhere and it's a fantastic fun environment. Big groups of strangers looking for Pokemon together, people relaying rare sightings to strangers across multiple blocks, etc. As long as there are other people to play with I can put up with the horseshit.

Tengukami

« Reply #505 on: August 13, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »
I'm just looking forward to school starting again over here in the next week or so. Something tells me that'll make a difference.

I think the PTC>Sign Out>Google thing has something to do with the GPS signal. Because when I attempt to sign in through Google alone, the "GPS not found" message pops up before I get the Humbled Server message. Not only does this not happen with PTC; the GPS pin stays in the panel after I sign out. This is underlined by the fact that this is much, much easier to do outside - something that made no difference to me before the update.

If that's the case then alright, I can take an extra step to sign in. I really don't mind all that much, so long as things are stable once I do log in, which they have been almost all the time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:32:56 PM by Tengukami »

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #506 on: August 13, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »
Yeah, my classmates just played it through their laptop during the class, wonderful. It's convenient you know, traveling around the city, finding Pokemons, capturing Gym when the real person just sitting there, in front of their laptop.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:36:14 PM by Your Everyday NEET »

Tengukami

« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
Yeah, my classmates just played it through their laptop during the class, wonderful. It's convenient you know, traveling around the city, finding Pokemons, capturing Gym when the real person just sitting there, with their laptop.

OK that is legit infuriating. Very unsporting. I'm not sure grade school kids over here are savvy enough to do this though.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
Convenient time to pop in for me. Speaking of spoofing and whatnot, Niantic has been handing out bans for using 3rd party tools, and emulators (if you spoof with them). What you can do with emulators, though, is piggyback on Wifi and then actually walk around with your laptop.

Tengukami

« Reply #509 on: August 13, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »
Convenient time to pop in for me. Speaking of spoofing and whatnot, Niantic has been handing out bans for using 3rd party tools, and emulators (if you spoof with them). What you can do with emulators, though, is piggyback on Wifi and then actually walk around with your laptop.

Yeah they announced they were going to start laying down bans for GPS spoofing a few days ago. Which made me very happy. If you can't be bothered to physically go to a gym, you shouldn't even be playing. But I reckon half the fun of spoofing and other hax is being able to pull it off.