Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. (2018) announced  (Read 38313 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Super Smash Bros. (2018) announced
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
This is an argument that I always hate but can't help but feel like I have to make in this case: If you're going to put Bayonetta in your game you're kind of obligated to make her kick ass. I'm not saying she should be intentionally better than all the other characters or imbalanced, but she should be good and feel good to use. Bayonetta is not an underdog and making her one feels wrong.

That said I didn't play any of Smash 4 so I never had to deal with her being overpowered, but over-nerfing isn't ever a fun or good solution.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Drake

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
Every character should be kick-ass, which is why this game already feels so good to play for the majority of people. Compared to Smash 4's early days they're off to a very good start in terms of balance and making characters feel useful.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44:56 AM »
Yeah, there are a bunch of characters I don't like playing as (enough that I stopped setting my character to random after a certain point because there are so many I don't want to see) but it's pretty clear that most if them are good, they just feel weird to control.

Bayonetta doesn't really feel like Bayonetta to me, but as someone who's been playing a ton of Bayonetta 2 lately I think a lot of that might just come down to her lack of different weapons. I know you can only cram so much stuff in a Smash Bros character since they're relatively simple, but no whip is unfortunate. And it feels like a big missed opportunity to not give her a Chain Chomp.

Edit: How do I consistently do Wario's "high ten" move where he puts both hands over his head? I can only do it about one out of ten tries, the rest of them keep coming out as up smashes or jump attacks. I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I can't figure it out and that move seems important.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:53:56 AM by commandercool »

Mellow

• A Kid, Just a kid.....
  • Is that a Touhou reference?!
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 02:30:46 AM »
Smash was great! I had a lot of fun playing as kirby, villager, duck hunt duo, issabelle, and peach! :D I like to go for the cuter and simpler mains. I'm not too good at it, But i'm trying to get better. Hisoutensoku's controls and gameplay is more my style. There's also the release of FnaF I think? I beleive it's coming to the switch! I've always enjoyed fnaf, and the first game on the switch.... Interesting!

frick AND heck!

Drake

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:32 AM »
Edit: How do I consistently do Wario's "high ten" move where he puts both hands over his head? I can only do it about one out of ten tries, the rest of them keep coming out as up smashes or jump attacks. I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I can't figure it out and that move seems important.
They're called tilt attacks; as the name suggests you do them by tilting the stick in a direction and hitting attack, as opposed to smash attacks where you "smash" the stick and attack. With default controls uptilts are definitely harder to do than other tilts because you can also tap up to jump.

Ways to change your controls to make it easier to do include
1) Turning off tap jump so you aren't jumping when you press up (many people do this)
2) Changing your c-stick to do tilts instead of smash attacks (most people also do this)
3) Changing your stick sensitivity to Low which makes the stick input more lenient for tilts and more strict for smashes

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
Smash was great! I had a lot of fun playing as kirby, villager, duck hunt duo, issabelle, and peach! :D I like to go for the cuter and simpler mains. I'm not too good at it, But i'm trying to get better. Hisoutensoku's controls and gameplay is more my style. There's also the release of FnaF I think? I beleive it's coming to the switch! I've always enjoyed fnaf, and the first game on the switch.... Interesting!

Simpler mains? I've found Villager and Isabelle, and especially Duck Hunt, to be way too complicated for me, at least to figure out quickly when I get them on random. They're tricky.

They're called tilt attacks; as the name suggests you do them by tilting the stick in a direction and hitting attack, as opposed to smash attacks where you "smash" the stick and attack. With default controls uptilts are definitely harder to do than other tilts because you can also tap up to jump.

Ways to change your controls to make it easier to do include
1) Turning off tap jump so you aren't jumping when you press up (many people do this)
2) Changing your c-stick to do tilts instead of smash attacks (most people also do this)
3) Changing your stick sensitivity to Low which makes the stick input more lenient for tilts and more strict for smashes

Ooooh gotcha! I did not know that was a mechanic. Messing around with it in training I found the easiest way to do it was to buffer the up input, but obviously there's a lot of downside to doing it that way. I'll consider changing the controls, although I might just confuse myself doing it that way. Low sensitivity might work since I often use the right stick for smashes.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »
Tap jump is one of those convenient features I can't bring myself to use since going back to melee if I get used to it would be a bitch. If they ever remake it, I hope they include it.

Speaking of up tilts, I'm really happy they finally made Ganon's up tilt not take like 10 seconds to do. Also they gave him a sword, so happy.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »
Weirdly I have little~no trouble doing Tilts; it's Smashes I have trouble performing.

Tap jump is one of those convenient features I can't bring myself to use since going back to melee if I get used to it would be a bitch. If they ever remake it, I hope they include it.

Speaking of up tilts, I'm really happy they finally made Ganon's up tilt not take like 10 seconds to do. Also they gave him a sword, so happy.

Well; Ganon's a different incarnation than before. I'll admit I'm not a Zelda expert, so I can't recall *which* Ganon it is now.

Just like Link is BotW Link now.

This is an argument that I always hate but can't help but feel like I have to make in this case: If you're going to put Bayonetta in your game you're kind of obligated to make her kick ass. I'm not saying she should be intentionally better than all the other characters or imbalanced, but she should be good and feel good to use. Bayonetta is not an underdog and making her one feels wrong.

That said I didn't play any of Smash 4 so I never had to deal with her being overpowered, but over-nerfing isn't ever a fun or good solution.

To be fair to this point; apparently Sakurai has said if any character besides Kirby could have survived Galeem at the start, it was Bayonetta and Palutena. Kirby only survived because he warp stared out of reality.

Kirby was the survivor because he's a simple character and Sakurai.

Likewise this is why Palutena and Bayonetta are among the last characters unlocked in Spirit Mode and even seem to be the villian's final resorts [As well as the fact Bayo/Palutena are basically opposites]

I'd rather something over-nerfed and brought back up than being broken to the point of making the game unfun.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:29:37 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Drake

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
They made him OoT Ganondorf

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
Man, Ganondorf is the most fun. His rework is perfect.

How heavy is Rob? He's slow, but he feels like he dies incredibly early. Like Pichu early. I kept dying at like 50% with him earlier. Maybe there were weird circumstances and I'm just wrong, but I assumed he was super heavy and now I'm wondering if he's just slow and also light.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
I got all the characters bar 1 after Palutenia randomly SD'ed.

I've lost to Cloud like 5 times I can't even kill him at 180%.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2019, 05:22:41 AM »
Finally beat World of Light. The last boss is pretty fun. And just difficult enough to offer challenge without being too frustrating, at least for my skill level. Still gotta go back and collect some spirits I skipped though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 01:23:06 PM »
Joker's out todaaaay! He looks super cool and interesting and his stage looks amazing. So much fan service.

His final smash is All Out Attack, and he still slits his opponents' throats at the end but instead of a geyser of blood they spray sparkles everywhere. Oh Nintendo. :D

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
From what little I know of competitive Smash; Joker's been performing really; really well already.

I really hope this isn't Bayonetta/Cloud all over again with a [paid] DLC character happening to be OP... 3 in a row might just start really looking like P2W.