Author Topic: "Haaaaaaaaaalp ;O;" (Spell Card Help Topic: III)  (Read 186784 times)

Re: The Even Newer Spell Card Help Topic (Iteration: III)
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
Extra Patchouli's Sun Sign "Royal Flare" is obviously always the same, but after I dodge the first wave (pretty much the first time the spiral goes off the screen) I can't figure out how to continue, and get trapped by too-fast walls. How do you do that one?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
Use MarisaA and end the card before the second wave.

Because, tbh, I haven't figured out the second wave either.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
[Edited out because my brain wasn't functioning]

Is there a trick to Cranberry Flan Trap besides "stay somewhere in the middle, and dodge"? I can't figure out how the pattern works at all, and I fear this card as much as the final (non-berserk) phase of QED!
Ahh, I know what you mean.  I used to fear that card very much too.  But I eventually figured it out.  The purple bullets are all aimed at the center, so you can easily get past those.  The blue bullets are all aimed at you, however, so you need a few tricks to get past them. Here's a video of myself beating Flan.  Watch the first half-minute to see the strategy I use on Cranberry Trap.  It works almost every time (sometimes I get unlucky and Flan moves out of the way, causing me to miss my shots and for the spell card to last longer.  But if you keep using this strategy, you should be able to last as long as you need to end the spell card)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFTtTee-O0

Drake

« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »
You're making it waaaaay too hard on yourself when you go down through the blue shots as well. You pretty much just stream the entire thing down from the middle. Instead of dodging the blue wave that closely, you get much more space. After that, you just stand still since the bullets from the purple wave afterward spawn at the exact same place. You don't get hit. Rinse and repeat.

EDIT: Thank you for making me open up EoSD oh my god yes.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:27:50 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
Thank you Drake, and congrats for your EoSD run! I was doing it very much like you AJS, except with even less vertical movement, so while it made the card a lot more "fun"... I could only capture it half the time, given the current state of my dodging skills  :ohdear:

(I'd also recommend watching Drake's run for Royal Flare, if you don't want to bomb it two thirds of the way in or use MarisaA)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2010, 11:31:40 PM »
What good is confidence if you aren't a 100% sure its true?
Confidence in the unknown does wonders. Believe in yourself, etc. etc. . Example, while it's often encouraged to play safely to get that base 1cc (bomb moar, plan them out, etc.), there are times where you just have to believe in yourself.

And what does opinion have to do with anything here?
If you think something is true; it's an opinion. If you have a belief something is true; that's an opinion as well. When you believe that ReimuB has shotgun capabilities without providing the facts / evidence, that shows only an opinion.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Bananamatic

« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
there are times where you just have to believe in yourself.
and if you can't believe in yourself, believe in the hitbox
except for EoSD, believing in yourself is definitely better there :V

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2010, 02:15:57 AM »
If you think something is true; it's an opinion. If you have a belief something is true; that's an opinion as well. When you believe that ReimuB has shotgun capabilities without providing the facts / evidence, that shows only an opinion.

An opinion is a statement of preference, and thus inherently subjective. It can't be objectively proven true or false. A belief (no matter how weakly held) is an assertion, which can turn out to be false.

and if you can't believe in yourself, believe in the hitbox
Believe in the hitbox, which believes in you?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:03 AM »
An opinion is (according to my dictionary here) a belief. They both rely on your own personal judgment / values and are thus subjective. Both can be assertions as well.

Either way, this is getting quite off-topic so I'll leave it at that.

except for EoSD, believing in yourself is definitely better there :V
What about UFO; I've seen complaints of wonky hitboxes and the like  :V
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:37 AM »
Is there a trick to Cranberry Flan Trap besides "stay somewhere in the middle, and dodge"? I can't figure out how the pattern works at all, and I fear this card as much as the final (non-berserk) phase of QED!
It's streaming and it's pseudostatic (if you move the same way every time, it does the same thing).
In the beginning, shot gun Flan. Then, move down the middle to dodge the pink wave.
When the blue wave spawn, tap once left or right and move through the wave.
Dodge 2 more blue waves and 1 more pink wave, but make sure you don't go down too far on the blue waves.
After the pink wave goes by, move up to Flan and shot gun her. There, the pattern repeats.

Extra Patchouli's Sun Sign "Royal Flare" is obviously always the same, but after I dodge the first wave (pretty much the first time the spiral goes off the screen) I can't figure out how to continue, and get trapped by too-fast walls. How do you do that one?
I do it this way:
Safespot the first wave... (use the line down the middle, one hitbox to right and one small tap from bottom)

When the 2nd wave moves to something like this... (where you will get hit very soon)

Move straight down through the wave...

Then, stand still through the 2nd wave and the card should end.
If the 3rd wave comes, don't panic, just dodge it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:13:13 AM by jsonchiu »

Drake

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Ew ew ew your methods do not sound very helpful. Do you have a replay of these, can you do it consistently?

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
Ew ew ew your methods do not sound very helpful. Do you have a replay of these, can you do it consistently?
I do it all the time.
After I figured it out, I almost always capture that card,
and keep in mind I'm not very good and can't capture Patchy's 2 other cards in any way except by fluke.

It took a while experimenting which gap to go through though for the 2nd wave,
as the one that I mentioned is the only gap that's safe; others will kill you.

Replay here: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9624
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:05:11 AM by jsonchiu »

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
Yuugi's last non-spell on normal. If I can't do this, how will I ever be able to accomplish my summer goal of perfecting every stage of SA?

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

What about UFO; I've seen complaints of wonky hitboxes and the like  :V

Really? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with UFO's hitboxes when i play the game.

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »
Parasol Star Memories - Hard with SanaeA... :fail:
...T_T Why Kogasa ? Why ?
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Formless God

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
Really? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with UFO's hitboxes when i play the game.
You are not Zengeku >:D

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
Parasol Star Memories - Hard with SanaeA... :fail:
...T_T Why Kogasa ? Why ?

Count your blessings! At least it's just Hard and not Lunatic! (And ReimuB might have it slightly worse too...)

There's a safespot for it, though, if you really insist on capturing it on the higher difficulties and lack godlike dodging skills.

« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2010, 04:04:40 AM »
I actually like jsonchiu's way of capturing Royal Flare more than I like mine, but if you want to see a different way of doing it, take a look at this:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9638

I didn't have any replays of my previous eosd extra runs, so I just ran this one on the spot for Royal Flare. A dumb mistake at the death fairy (just ignore that haha), and anything after Royal Flare, you can ignore because it's just me messing around, since I did what I had to do.

I actually think just using that safe spot is better, but if you want to actively dodge the card, try my method. It shows you which waves to dodge and where to start during each wave.

« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2010, 08:46:44 PM »
You are not Zengeku >:D

Ah, it appears that i have had a case of mindfuck. UFO's greatest flaw is probably that there is hitboxes in the game. 

Seriously though. My problem with UFO is having to form UFO chains, having to figure out and dodge all sorts of attacks that relies on very unconventional approaches or somehow uses some sort of disorientation to make sure i don't see whatever kills me. It doesn't really matter to me at all how much its all legit if you are skilled enough etc. because i don't find it fun to be hit by something from a blind angle no matter if its my own fault for not paying attention. That just didn't seem to happen in anything before, or after, UFO.

And then there is of course Stage 3. People complaining about SA Stage 3 had better quit complaining about that easy mode stage. UFO Stage 3 is where not knowing exactly what to do and how to do it will spell death. Not SA. That game doesn't go hard before Stage 4.

UFO seems to have as sharp hitboxes as ever. There might be a little something with Shou's Aura of Light lasers so when they turn off their hitboxes turns off later than i think they'd do out of experience from earlier Touhou game lasers but that's really it.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »
Ufo chainin halp
Bombspam route or lives route?
If lives i suck, Can't even reach max lives EVER
if bombspam lolclipdeath = FissionMaled
How to unfail?

Drake

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
UFO... gathering. Chaining is for mass points.

You keep your bombs when you die. You're gathering mass amounts of bombs for a reason. Use them. I myself find that going for Lives is a much easier route, though. Feels natural as I gather them. But really the most important part about UFO gathering is that you don't rush like a fucking moron to grab a UFO. Either make sure you won't die, or bomb. This is a simple extension of "if it looks difficult you should probably bomb it before you die", except it should be even more obvious.

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Not a card, but the falling-bullets-with-streaming things in MoF Lunatic Stage 4. It's right after the first standalone fairy and then again after the midboss. It's bad enough on Hard but the streaming bullets are just way too fast on Lunatic.

Also, is there a way to do anything of Aya even remotely consistently? My entire MoF Lunatic capture history is nonexistent but Aya has to be the worst. Apart from the first noncard, it's chainbombs all the way. I've captured Saruta Cross and Peerless Wind God exactly once through the miracle of positive luckgarbage but other than that, it's all 0/20ish.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2010, 10:14:31 PM »
MoF Stage 4 Lunatic Replay

For the first waterfall at 24 seconds in, I mislead the aimed bullets off to the right, then dash off to the left and stream to the right (it's a bit unintuitive to go through that left waterfall, but ever since I first saw this method I've used it and it's always worked for me).  As for the second waterfall after Momizi, while it can be done, I'm going to be blunt: don't try it.  Note that in the full-stage replay, I drag out the Momizi fight a bit, which is specifically for the purpose of shortening the waterfall into something I can dodge.  Unfortunately, Momizi is difficult herself, so you'll likely have to bomb her, which goes against dragging her out.  But for the sake of raw survival (I'm assuming you're trying to work on this stuff so you can try for a 1cc), don't hesitate to bomb either Momizi or the waterfall.

Unfortunately, Aya is mostly a straight-forward skill boss, as there's not much of a trick for most of her attacks other than being able to simply read things.  The only one that has a trick is her second noncard, where if you sit directly under Aya, then move just enough to dodge the blue circles that will be fired directly at you, you should graze everything that flies by, though I'm not entirely sure of the details of how this works as I still mess it up from time to time, but I think you want to dodge as late as possible to make sure the red stuff doesn't hit you.

Also, while I don't have any samples of your playing to examine your playstyle, I'll say this just in case: don't be afraid to move up from the bottom of the screen, as hugging the bottom can prove fatal at the Lunatic level in general, but a lot of Aya's cards specifically can wall you if you do so.

I'll also add that some people employ some sort of counting system for dodging Aya's final, but I don't know anything about that and personally just play it by eye.  It might be something you want to try playing with though.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
Does anyone else feel that Kogasa's final Lunatic spellcard (UFO) is a bit too hardcore for a stage 2 boss, or is it just me? I think I've given it at least two dozen tries and I still haven't been able to capture it - dying once has been my best result a fair few times. Do anyone sit on some kind of secret on how to read and react to this spellcard, or is it as much of a train-wreck as it appears to be?  :V

I'm using Marisa A, by the way~
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:54:24 PM by MasterSpark »

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
Kogasa's final card is a memorization card, so it sucks.

Want to know what really doesn't belong on a stage 2 boss? Those first 2 boss ards and her second boss nonspell. And Parasol Star Memories has no business being in the game the way it is as you have to memorize what to do for every single possible randomized movement pattern or you're fucked.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
Are the light blue amulets in Kogasa's last card really static? I thought they weren't, but I could be wrong. Her second nonspell shouldn't be that hard once you know where to tackle it (Donut's perfect Kogasa video is a good example).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
Does anyone else feel that Kogasa's final Lunatic spellcard (UFO) is a bit too hardcore for a stage 2 boss, or is it just me? I think I've given it at least two dozen tries and I still haven't been able to capture it - dying once has been my best result a fair few times. Do anyone sit on some kind of secret on how to read and react to this spellcard, or is it as much of a train-wreck as it appears to be?  :V

I'm using Marisa A, by the way~

The method that works best for me is moving in the shape of an infinity sign starting from bottom-right to top-left. You tend to dodge most of the light blues doing this, so it's just the red aimed sods that might get you.

Edit: Actually, this only seems to work on Hard. All three of captures appear to have been 90% luck.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:34:40 PM by Arcengal »
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »
If with memorization you mean "moving from right to left and back" then sure.

And lolno the amulets aren't static.
Start by going somewhat high on the screen in the center-right to misdirect the aimed bullets, then go to the left and misdirect again. Repeat.

Here, have an old replay. (might want to go a bit higher than me here)

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »
What's the trick behind Reisen (Normal, Boundary Team)'s second and third spellcards. I get in the second one the idea - in theory - is to watch when they phase out and move to a safe place.

What about the third? (Or whichever makes the circle of bullet-spamming servants) I tried "hiding" in the circle and that helped quite a bit. Not a lot of room for error when it comes to the bullets they fire inside, but eh.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »
This isn't really asking for help but...

What exactly is the difference between Resurrection Butterfly on Easy and Normal? I can't tell at all. They both seem to be the same to me.