Author Topic: Books and Literature  (Read 76886 times)

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
Re: Books and Literature
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »
?I'm currently reading the Joy Luck Club. Not sure how to describe it, but it's very emotional and leaves a large impact. How's the movie?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
Glad to hear it, Matsy!

?I'm currently reading the Joy Luck Club. Not sure how to describe it, but it's very emotional and leaves a large impact. How's the movie?

The movie is pretty terrible, because while the book has chapters that clearly label whose flashback is whose, this is not at all clear in the movie. Plus the protagonist has the acting ability of a piece of plywood.

Just started Hotel Iris, by Yoko Ogawa. It is absolutely brilliant, possibly because it's tailor-made to my tastes. I won't go into the plot here, but Google should give those interested a fair synopsis.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
Glad to hear it, Matsy!

The movie is pretty terrible, because while the book has chapters that clearly label whose flashback is whose, this is not at all clear in the movie. Plus the protagonist has the acting ability of a piece of plywood.

Just started Hotel Iris, by Yoko Ogawa. It is absolutely brilliant, possibly because it's tailor-made to my tastes. I won't go into the plot here, but Google should give those interested a fair synopsis.

How disappointing. I actually saw the movie, but it was a really long time ago when I was little.

Not sure if I said anything about this book, but it's called Lockdown: Escape from Furnace, by Alexander Gordon Smith. It's great for people who don't really like to read all that much. It got me back into reading. His vivid imagery and fast pacing make the book an easy read.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »
So, sometime in the trimester my Social Studies Honors class is going to read Lies My Teacher Told Me. Does anyone know if it is any good?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2010, 01:26:51 AM »
Just finished the second Hunger Games book, Catching Fire. The series is pretty cool. Right now I'm looking for the third book, Mockingjay.
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2010, 01:32:05 AM »
I finished Touching the Void today. Fun book.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
So, sometime in the trimester my Social Studies Honors class is going to read Lies My Teacher Told Me. Does anyone know if it is any good?
It's really good if you're interested in revisionist history. It's all about how history textbooks tend to leave out enormous amounts of history and make history class seem like the past is just one consistent narrative, instead of presenting conflicting evidence and different perspectives. Basically, it's why history class sucks in the United States. His style is great for just jumping around through the book and not getting lost. I highly recommend it, myself, but only for someone who cares for history-- anyone else would find it an interesting book filled with factoids at most.

Matsuri

« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »
I picked up the second volume of The Twelve Kingdoms yesterday. I plan on starting it soon. :3

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:23 PM »
I just finished the fourth volume of The Twelve Kingdoms.

I am struck dumb by how EXCELLENT that ending was. Oh my god. I can type just fine, but there is gibberish coming out of my mouth. My mind was blown by how much awesome the last chapter contained.

Yoko Nakajima is my favourite main character ever, and by far the most realistic heroine I have read in... ever.

And the writer, Fuyumi Ono, is my role model. I wanna write as good as she does, someday.

:* :* :*

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2010, 11:19:42 PM »
Reading The Named, the first book in the Guardians of Time series. Very cool :O
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

Matsuri

« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
I just finished the fourth volume of The Twelve Kingdoms.

I am struck dumb by how EXCELLENT that ending was. Oh my god. I can type just fine, but there is gibberish coming out of my mouth. My mind was blown by how much awesome the last chapter contained.

Yoko Nakajima is my favourite main character ever, and by far the most realistic heroine I have read in... ever.

And the writer, Fuyumi Ono, is my role model. I wanna write as good as she does, someday.

:* :* :*

This only makes me more freaking excited to start reading the second volume, once I get this project out of the way. Oh yessssss. 8)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »
I finished Ozzy Osbourne's book last week.

Seriously, it's beautiful. His life is the most fucked up thin in the planet :getdown:
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
Just finished Defender of the Imperium.

Now to wait for the third omnibus :V

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
New Wheel of Time book is out. <3<3<3

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Finished Their Eyes Were Watching God, it was great, I guess.

Now starting The Great Gatsby for English.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2010, 04:21:24 PM »
http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=1373

Buy an absolutely awesome book.

Get a sequel written.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS

EVERYONE BUY THIS BOOK NOW

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »
I've commited myself almost entirely to novels written by Patrick O'Brian; his distinctive and usual style has captured my amazement, and I have an unrivaled passion for his literature. I doubt I will begin to attempt anything else until I've read each of his books at least twice. His writing is often complicated and confusing to people who are unfamiliar with him. You'll probably find some negative reviews which criticise the style of writing in his novels, but really, they're all just frustrated because they couldn't adapt their minds to accommodate O'Brians style.

In fact, here's a beautiful picture of a beautiful novel that will seize your attention if only you have the patience and determination to try. The writing is often so complex so as to discourage you at times, but I can guarantee enjoyment if you have the necessary conviction to continue reading no matter the discouragement.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:55:00 PM by andrewv42 »
I eat squirrels.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »
Just finished Now You're One of Us by Asa Nonami. It's the story of a young woman who marries into a big extended family who all live in the same house. Without giving too much away in terms of plot, I'll say that for most of the novel, I was like "Oh, OK, I get it - it's a cult" and you sort of expect a certain set of things to happen. Then I got to the last 10 pages and ... wanted to scoop out my eyeballs with a grapefruit spoon. It's a real work of horror, if a tad predictable at times, with a stomach-churning ending.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2010, 03:21:07 AM »
IT'S GRAVITY RAINBOW TI- aargghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2010, 03:21:09 AM »

In fact, here's a beautiful picture of a beautiful novel that will seize your attention if only you have the patience and determination to try. The writing is often so complex so as to discourage you at times, but I can guarantee enjoyment if you have the necessary conviction to continue reading no matter the discouragement.

How do I know if I'm not actually enjoying the book and that the only reason I think am is because I keep telling myself that the book is enjoyable. I wonder if I'm doing that with the Haruhi novels.

Also, I am currently reading Of Mice and Men.
Spoiler:
Everything seems happy right now(relatively), too happy. I've heard about Steinbeck and I read The Pearl, which I hated, so something going to happen to ruin everything(likely death) and someone/a bunch of people are going to come out bitter as a result. Could be wrong, but I guess I'm going to find out.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2010, 03:22:19 AM »
How do I know if I'm not actually enjoying the book and that the only reason I think am is because I keep telling myself that the book is enjoyable. I wonder if I'm doing that with the Haruhi novels.

Also, I am currently reading Of Mice and Men.
Spoiler:
Everything seems happy right now(relatively), too happy. I've heard about Steinbeck and I read The Pearl, which I hated, so something going to happen to ruin everything(likely death) and someone/a bunch of people are going to come out bitter as a result. Could be wrong, but I guess I'm going to find out.

This one's different. Of Mice and Men was the only Steinback book I actually enjoyed reading.
Let me back into CPMC :|

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
Of Mice and Men is a masterpiece. It's incredible how heavily your opinions of the characters are affected by how they are interpreted by their peers, when the characters can appear to be very different if you evaluate them from an alternative approach or perspective. The narrative is arguably candid and unbiased, but the dialogue is not; whether you choose to agree with a characters' opinion or choose to formulate your own will decide how you determine a character and whether or not they are, "Good," or, "Bad." The would-be antagonists, for example, are only really portrayed as antagonists by the men of the ranch. If you were to develop an independent opinion of these characters, uninfluenced by the social perception that is demonstrated in the book, you would actually recognise an individual personality which isn't very antagonistic at all.
I eat squirrels.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:37 AM »
This one's different. Of Mice and Men was the only Steinback book I actually enjoyed reading.

Well, I did hear from a friend that it's way better than the Pearl...

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
Just finished Empowered #6.

What the fuck.

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2010, 10:33:16 PM »
Uwaaaaaaa~
My school doesn't have Pendragon books 9 and 10.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
reading

Eifelheim by Michael Flynn

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Train Man by Hitori Nakano

mostly Eifelheim right now.
in all this time the only one I've finished is Foundation. I just haven't been reading as much ;-;

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:25 AM »
I'm currently reading the The Crucible for class and Unexpected Magic by Diana Wynn Jones.

The Crucible is fun. The class is reading it aloud and the lines are begging for large hams everywhere.

As for magic, I read the "The Plague of Peacocks" and I'm not sure how to describe how I feel about it.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2010, 10:43:52 AM »
The Crucible is REALLY fun

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
I decided to become more cultured and checked out The Time Machine from the library today. Finished the first chapter, and it seems not that bad. I'm wondering how involved a story can be told in such a small amount of time, but let's see where this goes.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
I really enjoyed that one. Considering the time period in which he wrote his novels, Wells was very clairvoyant.