Author Topic: Character Alignments According to Canon  (Read 14943 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Character Alignments According to Canon
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
So you basically popped by to say you have nothing to say on the subject? Cool, now we know.

Eh.. I dunno if that's all bad. I mean he has a point kinda. I know I'm more interested in the fact someone kinda shares my similar opinion on he matter than I am at people posting stuff considered more on topic. I think it's safe to assume that other people might feel the same way.

I remember back about a year or two someone started some topic about touhou characters versus type moon. I thought and said power discussions and versus discussions were silly. Seeing power level discussions banned now makes me relieved.

Anyway I can't say it's worth banning alignment discussions, but I feel it kinda has he same silly factor, plus the depth of convorsTion is unlikely to be greater than the potential for people to get upset when someone calls their Favorite character evil or something different than they feel.

Anyway, I understand both points, but I don't think that post was QUITE there in the land of replying a "no cuz I don't feel like it" to someone asking for advice or help or whatever.

Sorry if I have silly typos or whatever posting on phone.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
Good things to post (i.e. staying on topic):

- General morality, and applying them to Gensokyo and its denizens through some kind of reasoning
- The D&D constructs of morality, and applying them to Gensokyo and its denizens through some kind of reasoning
- "I consider Character X to be Alignment Y because of Reason Z"

Bad things to post:

-"hurr durr this topic is stupid, time to go shit on the thread now"
-"Fuck D&D"
-*bitchmoanwhine because someone doesn't agree with you*

That said..

One thing that seems quite rare in Gensokyo is absolute neutrality, and the lawful good. Not non-existent, mind you; just very rare.

I would peg Suwako as one character who is True Neutral. Not only do nature gods tend to be that way anyway, but I think the initial tendency is to equate 'energetic' = 'chaotic' while Suwako is more straight-laced than people might initially give her credit for.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
So you basically popped by to say you have nothing to say on the subject? Cool, now we know.

No. What makes you think that? She is trying to say that D&D based characters allingments on touhou are useless. And I defend this point.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
No. What makes you think that? She is trying to say that D&D based characters allingments on touhou are useless. And I defend this point.

The point is, dropping by a thread to say "this topic is stupid/useless/pointless" is pretty unhelpful. Just report it and/or don't post in it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:48 AM »
I think Reimu's sense of duty does have foundations in her morality, but her motivation stems from boredom and she does tend to get carried away and is quick to accuse. When it comes down to it I'd consider her lawful good. There's nothing sinister about Marisa and I'm sure she has a few principles at least, but she has no problem lying or stealing so she's more a rogue. She's probably chaotic neutral just because of her carefree manner.

From playing Touhou 9, it seems to me that the most moral character (other than the Yama) is Reisen. She knows who the Yama is, addresses her with respect, and takes her judgment seriously. Her major sin is not a character flaw but a sin from the past for which she had not made full reparation. She also seemed quite interested in Medicine's state of affairs, keen to learn about what will happen to her, in an earnest way.

Bloom Nobly~

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 08:32:55 AM »
Although Shikieiki seems like a shoe-in for Lawful Good, I wonder if she'd be better as Lawful Neutral instead. I mean, she does criticize someone for not acting youkai-like enough :V
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
Although Shikieiki seems like a shoe-in for Lawful Good, I wonder if she'd be better as Lawful Neutral instead. I mean, she does criticize someone for not acting youkai-like enough :V

I was thinking the same thing at first but the fact that she scolds people in hopes of steering them away from hell shows she's clearly bias against evil...It's not like she only does that for humans either so...yeah.

Kinda surprised most people don't see Yuyuko as good. I kinda consider her as one of the most "good" characters in Gensokyo.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
Like OkashiiKisei said, danmaku hurts. But it only delivers spiritual damage.

Well, I think sakuya's KNIVES danmaku does much more than only "spiritual" damage, but that's just me. :V

But I don't know what that really is. If it's really energized knives, or common danmaku mimicing the shape of knives.

For starters, I don't even know what danmaku is made of. Spiritual energy? Mana? Ki?

I initially thought Sakuya's knives are made of magic, but her profiles do state she picks up her thrown knives via time stop to create the image that she has infinte knives. Yet she throws thousands of them at once during the games, so that makes it more confusing. She couldn't possibly hold that many on her being unnoticed. Sakuya's Time - Space powers could allow her to hide them in Hammerspace though. And they can't be regular knives since they are capable of hitting the otherwise incorporeal ghosts. The characters also seem relatively unharmed after battle with Sakuya. So are they made of magic or are they enchanted with that danmaku safety lock?

Also, the characters all use a different form of danmaku, Synn. Meiling uses ki, the majority of magicians and youkai use magic and Reimu, Sanae and the deities use spiritual power. I guess that in the end they're all mostly alike. :V

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
I was thinking the same thing at first but the fact that she scolds people in hopes of steering them away from hell shows she's clearly bias against evil...It's not like she only does that for humans either so...yeah.

Kinda surprised most people don't see Yuyuko as good. I kinda consider her as one of the most "good" characters in Gensokyo.

I'm not sure about Yuyuko. In Perfect Cherry Blossom she may not have meant any harm, but she still put her desire to see the netherworld in full bloom ahead of the need of the others. After you fight her, she is reasonable but I don't know what that says about her moral stance. A moral character can still make mistakes, of course but as I've not finished IN's story with her team, I don't really know enough to know whether she ought to rank as lawful good or lawful neutral. I generally think of her as a good person/ghost/whatever but I don't have enough material from the ingame dialogue to support that.

Bloom Nobly~