Author Topic: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs  (Read 1420 times)

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
It's coming out tomorrow! You can preorder it for 20% off.

Interestingly, the devs have already released copies to several Youtube LP'ers and gamers, so if you're interested in playthroughs, you can already start watching. I spoiled the first half hour or so for myself, and it's looking pretty good from what I've seen. Anyone else plan on playing?

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:02:25 AM »
I have a plan to, despite being unable to finish its predecessor. 
One question though, should I finish Amnesia the Dark Descent first to be able to enjoy Machine for Pigs?

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:19:27 AM »
... So it turns out my laptop can't handle the game's graphics very well, which is a huge, huge disappointment for me.

I have a plan to, despite being unable to finish its predecessor. 
One question though, should I finish Amnesia the Dark Descent first to be able to enjoy Machine for Pigs?
AMFP makes tiny references, but it's completely standalone.

AMFP is shorter, and it seems pretty agreed on that TDD was scarier... so AMFP might actually be more disappointing if you play it second.
Of course, if you're halfway through TDD or more, then you might as well finish that.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »
Wow, what a coincidence. I just started A:DD, having wanted to play it since I tried Penumbra. Survival horror is a genre all-too-often overlooked.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
Anybody playin'? Just got my copy here and I've been playing for roughly an hour, intended for only test-play, yet managed to play until
Spoiler:
St. Dunstand?s Church
Sequence.

Despite just playing for a bit, I can at least tell that the game's atmosphere is much less intense than that of Dark Descent, just like what BananaBread said. Supernatural phenomenons still occur here and there, but the creepiness is pale in comparison to its predecessor (hello Archives) . And due to the lack of inventory system, the in-game lantern doesn't require oil to operate; long gone the old days when I had to spend my entire life searching for oil and tinderbox to extend my lifespan. 

So far, Machine For Pigs feels like the kinder version of Dark Descent. Gotta keep playing to see what awaits the main character in the end.
Hopefully the game would prove me wrong in terms of intensity. 
Of course, if you're halfway through TDD or more, then you might as well finish that.
I would if I could. Back then, I had a problem with my CRT monitor; making dark places even darker. Before Daniel even lost his sanity, I would lose my own first.
Now that I no longer have the savegames, my best bet is to accompany my friend playing Dark Descent while I'm playing Machine for Pigs.

--edit--
Just finished the game an hour ago.
One thing worth a praise for Machine for Pigs (MFP) is definitely the story, despite being too short. It's dark, especially as you venture deeper. It kinda reminds me of Silent Hill, as in there is a meaning in every point of interest you see, even in the enemies. There is an objective which you need to achieve, and there is a truth you need to seek.

Of course it's quite disappointing to see that the developers removed some elements from Dark Descent (DD), such as inventory system. MFP seems to emphasize psychological 'torture' For what it lacks in survivability, which I find even more appealing. However, MFP still cannot hold a candle against DD in terms of intensity.

It was definitely an unfortunate short run, but enough to keep me entertained throughout the game.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:36:53 AM by Levantine »