Author Topic: And you thought it was going to be called Pokemon Gray ~ Pokemon Topic GO!  (Read 34553 times)

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Seriously. I warned you about Gamefreak bro!!! I TOLD YOU DOG.

So the third game for Pokemon's fifth Generation was just announced over in pokemonland Japan.
No, it's not called Pokemon Gray/Checkered/Chrome/Rainbow/whatever.
...I don't know what else to say, except GET HYPE x2 COMBO!!!! :getdown:

Discuss! *ollies out*

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Re: And you thought it was going to be called Pokemon Gray ~ Pokemon Topic GO!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:53:57 AM »
Thought it would be called Pokemon Grey, actually. >.>  But... Hurm.  I don't especially approve of this idea is all I can say.  Seems like a desperate grab for more money to me.  But we'll see how this turns out, I guess, and I already know I'll be buying them when they come out anyways.  Guess Nintendo was hoping for people like me, ahah.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »
Black Version 2 and White Version 2?

guys

guys

they have run out of colors it seems :ohdear:

I'll wait on details before I decide if I want it or not though.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Wait, they're doing a double 2 release?  I am disappoint.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »
From what I understand, these aren't the "third version" to Pok?mon Black & White, but direct sequels (Black -> Black 2, White -> White 2). That's why there's 2, to follow the story on both ends. I'm pretty excited :D

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:08:48 AM »
Well, that's new. Then again, Black and White already broke some pretty well-established Pokemon formulas themselves, so I guess this isn't entirely surprising. The new Kyurem forms are probably still not going to be good though (Dragon/Ice is a terribad defensive typing), unless they introduce some other changes like new stat distributions or something. Maybe have them focus on physical vs. special attacks? 130 for each was already pretty high, and increasing one or the other may give Kyurem enough of a punch to make some sort of statement.

Seems like a desperate grab for more money to me.
As if they weren't doing the whole "one game for the price of two" thing since the beginning. :V
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:13:46 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »
i wish i were less of a poke - whore so i wouldn't be as excited

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
Sounds like Nintendo just gave up. <_<

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:19:27 AM »
Pokemon wasn't the first person to do this. Capcom did it with Mega Man Battle Network (each sequel after 2 had seperate versions).

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 05:22:08 AM »
Sigh...

Man, I am disappoint. Very disappoint...

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
ahahaha so this is how they're making up for Kyurem being so terrible :getdown:

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:52:31 AM »
My first reaction was: Pok?mon Black and White 2?! Lolwut? :o

But anyway, double sequels? Awesome!

I loved the plot in B/W so I'm totally looking forward to this (especially if we'll get to know more about N). I'm also digging the Zekrom + Kyurem design, pretty cool looking in my opinion.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 07:53:58 AM »
From what I understand, these aren't the "third version" to Pok?mon Black & White, but direct sequels (Black -> Black 2, White -> White 2). That's why there's 2, to follow the story on both ends. I'm pretty excited :D

I'm personally hoping that this is the case as well. :D

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 08:06:43 AM »
I can see myself being interested if the story of the sequel involves more character development for N. Never has a Pok?mon game put so much depth into one character, and let's face it, someone as damaged as he was from the way he was raised has plenty to be explored. Hell, I'd like it if N was the playable character in the sequel. I'd almost certainly buy into that.

I suppose this could also be incentive for me to actually bother with the aftergame stuff in the version I already have, too. :P

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Hell, I'd like it if N was the playable character in the sequel. I'd almost certainly buy into that.
Seeing as how Gamefreak has just broken their 3rd-game-for-every-generation pattern, this is not an impossibility.
N for BRAWL PKMN B2/W2!!

Actually, I can understand why many people are displeased by the lack of Pokemon Grey. The truth is, this game will probably be more of a "continuation" of Pokemon B/W, "plotwise", not as an expansion for the first two games. It'll be as if Black and White had never ended and are continuing, thus it being called Pokemon Black/White 2!!~ 
(logic :V)

Point is, it's different than other games. It's going to be it's own wonderful, original creation that shall hopefully continue with the wonders of the Unova region.

I suppose this could also be incentive for me to actually bother with the aftergame stuff in the version I already have, too. :P
I've also been meaning to fully complete my post-game. I haven't really had the desire to continue, but now with a sequel looming across the horizon I have some new-found motivation .

Oh, and am I the only one that finds all the hate and rage quite humorous?
Ahh, Nintendo fans sure are a wonder.~

:P

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
why am the only one that is hype qq

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Pok?mon hype! :o

I actually really liked 5th gen so i'm really looking forward to this.

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
...I don't know what else to say, except GET HYPE x2 COMBO!!!! :getdown:

It's a mainstream Pokemon game. Of course you have to be hyped!

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »
I'm kind of glad that they would decide to make sequels instead of the small add-on type of remakes that the 'third game' followed. BW had the best plot of all the games, and I'd like to see how much more the characters(N) develop.

Or maybe this is the third game of Gen V, where the background legend of the fight between the two brothers becoming somewhat different because of a slight change. And then the whole story changes a bit, requiring the player to do different actions to solve the plot.

Either way, count me in for hype.

It'd also be kind of interesting if they decided to give B&W Kyurem the ability of also being a dragon type. I'd love to see just how much that'll screw up the meta game.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »
i'm only happy about this announcement in so far as all the freaking #spp idiots aren't going to rave about Pokemon Gray or a Ruby/Sapphire remake or some other such bullshit.

thank you pokesmash

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
Nice, B+W were my favorites since Gold and Silver, so I'm excited to see how the Pokemon world will handle a direct sequel rather than what they've been doing until now.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
No, I thought it was going to be Pokemon Violet. :derp: I still haven't actually got a Gen V game, though, so if it's a direct sequel I have this thing where I'll probably have to play B/W1 first...damn them and their profitable decisions!
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 06:31:34 PM »
They realised that they were losing profits on the first versions of every gen because of the inevitable special edition, so they decided to make a direct sequel for once! Clever.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
They realised that they were losing profits on the first versions of every gen because of the inevitable special edition, so they decided to make a direct sequel for once! Clever.
>non spinoff pokemon
>losing profits

nope

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Eh, I dunno. I advocated waiting for the "inevitable" Pokemon Gray at first, and then caved within three weeks, because there is no resistance to Nintendo.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
The new Kyurem forms are probably still not going to be good though (Dragon/Ice is a terribad defensive typing), unless they introduce some other changes like new stat distributions or something. Maybe have them focus on physical vs. special attacks? 130 for each was already pretty high, and increasing one or the other may give Kyurem enough of a punch to make some sort of statement.

I thought I heard somewhere that the new Kyurem forms would simply mimic the types of the pokemon (Reshiram or Zekrom) that they resemble. This may have been speculation though, now that I think about it. If that is the case, then I hope that Game Freak does something else to make the new Kyurem forms stand out from Reshiram/Zekrom.

All in all, I am very excited to see this break in the trend and really hope that these games will indeed turn out to be continuations of the stories from the previous two.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere that the new Kyurem forms would simply mimic the types of the pokemon (Reshiram or Zekrom) that they resemble. This may have been speculation though, now that I think about it. If that is the case, then I hope that Game Freak does something else to make the new Kyurem forms stand out from Reshiram/Zekrom.

All in all, I am very excited to see this break in the trend and really hope that these games will indeed turn out to be continuations of the stories from the previous two.

Wth Fire/Ice and Thunder/Ice?

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 05:45:45 AM »
The ONE TIME I waited for the 3rd game...  "No, I'll wait, it'll be even more awesome since I haven't played Black or White!"

:colonveeplusalpha:

Are the differences between Black and White so... different... that each game needs a sequel instead of just one?  I know about Black City and White Forest but that's about it.  Ruby and Sapphire had different antagonists (with different goals) but I only played Sapphire and Emerald so I don't really know how things were different between Ruby and Sapphire... and it's been quite a while so I don't remember the best, either.

I'm excited, but... it would've been nice to play B/W back when my friends were instead of waiting for sequels.  Hell, I'm still finishing up on HG.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 06:18:01 AM »
Wth Fire/Ice and Thunder/Ice?

No I meant just Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon. I'm not quite sure about this though.