Author Topic: FPS control?  (Read 1879 times)

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
  • Rising from the ashes of an old dream~
FPS control?
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
Due to my laptop playing all games from StB onwards at half speed, whenever I go to PCB or IN, the sudden massive speed increase of everything severely messes with my head. What I'm after here is, as the title suggests, a way of controlling the FPS of the earlier games, so it's not 'Touhou on ice' every single time I try playing them. Does such a control exist, and if so, am I breaking any rules in asking to be directed to it?

Momiji

• Cya
Re: FPS control?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
Is it an actual speed increase or just a shock of the game actually running at 100%?

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
More ashock of the 100% thing, I guess. Still annoying. I LIKE it slow, goddamnit! :V

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of the older games have a 'slow mode' option that you can use, in the options menu. Failing that. I'm fairly sure you can use the vsync patch to lower the speed of the game as well (disclaimer: none of this is counted as playing legitimately when it comes to score submission).

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
Hm... I was just looking back at some of the OLD, old threads and someone mentioned slowing down UFO to get a better feel for the spellcards. This was about a month after UFO came out, so I doubt there was a vsync for it back then, and in fact, I can't find one now! :V

So, I'm just wondering what program could've been used to slow it down way back then.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
Aren't there options in the custom.exes for turning down framerates? (hint, hint)
Spoiler:
there are, dudebro.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Drake

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »
hint hint, you obviously selected those before and you're wrong, dudebro

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
Hm? I don't like to mess with the custom.exe unless I have reason too, lest I fuck something vital up beyond repair.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
Use vsync if all else fails. Good rule of thumb.
The custom_e.exe's should be pretty straight forward. They're only a few modifications to the game, because every computer will handle stuff differently.

Shoot the Bullet should be something like 32-bit for screen mode, and full for rendering rate. If you use vsync, check the don't use vertical sync box, that way vsync can overwrite it.

For SA onward, color mode should be 32-bit and no frameskip. The input latency should be automatic. If you use the vsync patch, it has to be set to fast, or else vsync won't do a thing.

Get vsync here, courtesy of Drake. This has vsync for every danmaku Touhou, including UFO. It doesn't have Double Spoiler or Great Fairy Wars yet (obviously not Ten Desires) because those are still being tested, if memory serves.

If vsync fails, try changing the rendering rate in the config, then use vsync again. (You have to use vsync every time you want to play the games btw) Your computer might not be powerful enough to play these games at full force, which may be why you're having framerate issues.

Hope this helps!
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
I know about the vsync. I know that it can set the FPS to 60. I DON'T WANT THAT. I want the FPS set to 20 or 30, because 60 for me is arghtregrefluurghlylightning fast. I hear of all these runs that've been slowed down by other software, and I want to know how I can get this software. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Drake

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:09 AM »
60 for me is arghtregrefluurghlylightning fast
play on easy

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -