Author Topic: 25 Eggs A-Layin': Yume Nikki General Discussion Thread  (Read 8336 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
25 Eggs A-Layin': Yume Nikki General Discussion Thread
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:34:31 AM »
I don't know what spawned the recent Yume Nikki-fying of many avatars and signatures around here [Ed: Jana tells me it was Halloween], but it had the effect of getting me back into this weird little game. I'd last attempted it at least two years ago and had found six effects. This time around, with a decent Wiki, I also have the added enjoyment of knowing a bit about what's going on in this game character-wise.

When I first discovered this game, it was through this article. And I can appreciate some of the finer points brought up.
Think of your typical video game, where you are presented with a very small number of options at the beginning. Usually, you can access only a few areas, and can do a limited number of things. ... The establishment of goals via the restriction of player action serves to guide players through a game.

To me, I don't even think of Yume Nikki as a game primarily, but a narrative in game format. There are definitely some daunting parts in the game, though, such as the full layout of Hell. I think that was the most difficult world for me. In other worlds, the landscape changes but you can walk on a loop on both axes, intersecting at some landmark, and eventually you'll run into something new. But in Hell, you don't have the freedom to decide whether or not you're moving NS or EW, and there are so few landmarks. The path through Hell to get Witch effect was a nightmare. Mars, I loved.

Fan theories about the "story" in the game, as you'd expect, run the gamut from probable to comical, and it seems the game creator is reticent about any story at all. Whether it was intentional or unconscious, I think there are a few definable themes of a story, anyway. But the game doesn't need a story to be art - the music's good and it can be very pertty to look at.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:40:44 AM by Tsukiko »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

Re: 25 Eggs A-Layin': Yume Nikki General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:43:12 AM »
A week before Halloween, I decided I would go through the entire game and get every effect, without following any advice or any guides. As the last time I played was a year ago, I had essentially forgot how to get all of the items but a few. I remembered a few as I played, but even still. After a six-hour marathon I managed to get 22 of them, not counting instructions.

When the Halloween party came along, I played for another two-three hours before finally finding the last two, but I did it. I conquered the crap out of this game. Then I proceeded to go through all the little things like Mars and Uboa (who is actually really easy to get to). It was so fun, and now I can proudly claim to have finished.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:29 AM »
Some people love this game, other people hate it, I think what it comes down to is like Ammy said, it's not actually a game; however, I'm not sure if I'd think of it as a narrative, I think of it more as a bizarre form of interactive art. The creator insists there's no real story but there are many recurring themes, so I think it's more of just a thought exercise to draw connections and imagine what sort of things Madotsuki's dreams could represent, with no official answer.

Most of the game isn't really scary, just unnerving...the big empty areas just add to the anxiety since you have no idea what could be out there (though still, a few less of them would be nice...) but there are a few quirky parts that provide a sense of ease while exploring, that balance is important. Then there's the out-of-nowhere shit like Takofuusen and Uboa that you might not even see if you didn't know about it, I think it'd be awesome if the game was full of that kind of stuff so the experience was different for everyone.

It's also worth noting that the ambient music contributes enormously to the game's atmosphere. I think it would be difficult to pick that kind of stuff out.

I'd really like to try making a game like this myself and see what my mind comes up with (it wouldn't be very demanding on a technical level), but I'd feel bad for basically just ripping off the original concept. :V

Matsuri

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
I'd really like to try making a game like this myself and see what my mind comes up with (it wouldn't be very demanding on a technical level), but I'd feel bad for basically just ripping off the original concept. :V

I'd play it. :derp:

Yume Nikki is easily one of my favorite games-- not just because of all of the game itself or the fanon/theories behind it, but simply because it stands out among other games-- I really can't think of many games that even come close to being similar to it-- aside from LSD, but I haven't played that ;x

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:47:47 AM »
After a certain someone insisted that I play this game and that it's the best thing ever, I gave it a shot. It's... really unique, to say the least. I love it, especially all the little details and the new things you can find each time you play through it. I was never really "scared" in the traditional sense, but certain places were definitely unnerving, especially with the music. I remember just sitting in the flute room for 30 minutes because I didn't want to leave the only place that seemed somewhat comfortable! I also found the singing mutant-person-thing in that room to be cute in some strange way.

Also, generic Uboa terror story: I walked into the house and looked around, flipping the light switch and interacting with everything, then I left. Then I thought "there's no way something this far out of the way would be useless," walked back in, hit the light switch, and OH MY GOD WHAT IS GOING ON. Quite fun.

Also also, in the nighttime cliff area (don't know how to describe it - there's a person that teleports when you interact with them, some park benches, and a passage over to the right), try using Cat near the people on the right side.

Tengukami

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:15 AM »
Also also, in the nighttime cliff area (don't know how to describe it - there's a person that teleports when you interact with them, some park benches, and a passage over to the right), try using Cat near the people on the right side.

I didn't know that. The passage you describe is where I was headed when last I went there. I'm going to try this!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
  • I've got better things to do tonight than die.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
Looooooved this game, I think my save is still missing about four or five powers, and I'm frankly too scared to play it again. I generally only touch the game when I'm in horrific "kill-me-now" moods, the game just seem to work so well at those times :x

And I've been trying to find things without guides, still can't find
Spoiler:
balcony where you can fly off
, can't find my way back to
Spoiler:
black n white world with Monoko and spaceship
, can't  find entrance to
Spoiler:
that rub-rub thing (with that nightmare-ish screen flash)
and can't find the
Spoiler:
robot and ghost powers so I can avoid those scary bird people
>.<

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »
Yume Nikki

Collected 25 effects, saw ended. Finished. Explored, went to outer space.
Of course, I applied the bicycle bug for increased speed, but I enjoyed every moment of that game.

It's best to play alone at night too, I think my conscience likes it, as strange as that might sound.
Well, actually, it's more like it awakens my childish (?) sense of curiosity.

To me, the game is more about what you think is happening / has happened / what will happen. It encourages the player to come up with his / her conclusions. The game already gives you a start of what's going on, but it also leaves a bunch of hints and symbols for you to think about what is going on. You put yourself in Madotsuki's shoes, and you walk in what becomes your world; instead of controlling some character for the purpose to reach the ending.

That said, it's a different kind of game that has a different type of goal in mind. Maybe that's why many don't like it. But that is the reason why I do.

I found this game far more interesting than I found scary, actually. I'm almost out of save slots as well, I mean, there's just so much to look at.

Music: It's obvious that it's just a simple loop for each world / area you tend to be in, but almost all of them has it's own ominous feel that I really can't stop listening to. Not the type of thing you'd put into your music player, but for exploring / background music, it's perfect.

Hell, sometimes it's not even music, it might just be a sound that it looped over and over.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
  • Identified Romantic Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:10:10 PM »
I may play this game this coming weekend.  "Arm Girl" frightened me away from playing, but I'm quite interested in it now.
[img width= height=]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8426/sig1xu.jpg[/img]

Matsuri

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »
I may play this game this coming weekend.  "Arm Girl" frightened me away from playing, but I'm quite interested in it now.

There are many things more disturbing than Monoko in the game. :<

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:32 AM »
There are many things more disturbing than Monoko in the game. :<

Don't say that!...  Don't say that...  :o

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:49 AM »
Don't say that!...  Don't say that...  :o
Hey, it's true!

There's also this really trippy cutscene that you can watch~~~

Never mind, the entire game is trippy and I absolutely love it.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
To be fair, it takes effort to see things like Monoko and Uboa. You won't run into them without really trying to.

barasia

• mokomokomokomoko
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
it inspired me to have write dream journals and so forth.

i find it interesting how associative links are made between each world.
a seemingly unrelated manhole may lead to sewer world and so forth.
going up the really high aztec like stairs eventually leads to a cliff area over looking a city.
even if they are two completely different worlds, the continuity make sense in some way.

much like in a REAL dream, you can only conjure up landscapes and settings ASSOCIATIVELY.
for example, you see an old friend from high school, and suddenly the dream setting takes place in high school the moment pass a doorway. suddenly the topics you are talking about are school related.

it is the brain trying its best to play  "narrative" and keeping continuity between two seemingly unrelated events.

i like this game as a dream exploration simulator, but the world is set in concrete, no matter how big it may be.
dreams in real life are spontaneous.....
i may try to revisit the same setting in a lucid dream, but it loses its appeal when my mysterious unconscious mind always put a different spin into a dream.

so replayability will be an issue, where its boring to replay Yume nikki, in a real dream you rarely replay anything.

but i still like Yume Nikki because it really plays like a real dream to some extent.
Termnl_yt ht_i_sba. enfi_et uao_nri e_ewc_ gfo_f ineo kh_ tr o

Drake

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
To be fair, it takes effort to see things like Monoko and Uboa. You won't run into them without really trying to.
If you have patience, you'll get there. You probably won't be activating the events without some fiddling, though.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
...  Whenever I get the "Blond Hair" effect and interact with something/try to leave the area I get numerous error messages that repeatedly pop up until I close the game.  I'm running version 0.10. 

Does anyone know why?

Tengukami

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »
...  Whenever I get the "Blond Hair" effect and interact with something/try to leave the area I get numerous error messages that repeatedly pop up until I close the game.  I'm running version 0.10. 

Does anyone know why?

This is probably a mapping error, which can happen when you either install the game outside of C:\ or any number of reasons. Move your game save file (appropriately enough, it ends with the extension .lsd) to your desktop, delete the game, and re-install. Upon so doing, move the game save file back into the game directory. That should do the trick.

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »
I installed the game in the suggested directory [C:GamesYume Nikki] and it works fine now!  I had it installed to my Program Files beforehand.  Thank you!

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Apparently that didn't work.  I'll post the solution here in case anyone else runs into the same problem I had.  The solution to the super-persistent-pop-up-windows-of-annoyance problem is to convert all of the MP3 format files in the music folder to WAV format.