Author Topic: Touhou Gensoumaroku ~ The Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch  (Read 128681 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
What parts of the game isn't translated yet?

None of the story has been translated (or rather, some has, but the person working on it quit the project way back before I picked it up, and no one else has offered), none of the item flavor text has been translated other than like... a few lines, and none of the monster flavor text has been translated. There are also some gameplay messages that aren't translated either, like for tutorials and such, mainly because either I am not good enough to translate them myself, or I can't even find the messages, and I can't exactly translate what I can't find. Other than that, mostly everything else is good.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
What parts of the game isn't translated yet?
All dialogue (all of it.) and some system messages.

I think the Ninja shikigami was typoed as "Nirja". The menu image name is fine, but the plaintext with it all says "nirja".
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
I think the Ninja shikigami was typoed as "Nirja". The menu image name is fine, but the plaintext with it all says "nirja".

That's a font issue. If you see earlier to that image I took for Mokou's name, there's a similar problem with Fujiwara where the right side of the u is cut off, because clearly the j is a space hogging thing. Nothing I can do about it.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
Any translators want to step up and do some story work? :) Do we have any material from back when others were attempting?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Any translators want to step up and do some story work? :) Do we have any material from back when others were attempting?

I've currently got all the translation work done by Deranged, plus all of the story files he didn't do extracted raw. I can hand off anything to people who want to take a look. Again, I feel like getting message_kou.csv is a little more important, but if anyone wants to take a crack at the story, be my guest. Just let me know either here, or in PM, or however.

I've currently got all the translation work done by Deranged, plus all of the story files he didn't do extracted raw. I can hand off anything to people who want to take a look. Again, I feel like getting message_kou.csv is a little more important, but if anyone wants to take a crack at the story, be my guest. Just let me know either here, or in PM, or however.

So you have access to the story dialogs? Without all the coding and stuff so it's easier to navigate?
I think I'd like to take a look on that.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
So you have access to the story dialogs? Without all the coding and stuff so it's easier to navigate?
I think I'd like to take a look on that.

It depends on what you mean by coding. The files are all in .csv format. In terms of what this means in text, well... let me paste an example.

Code: [Select]
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10009","9","141","-1","Oh ho.","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10010","10","-1","-1","STOP","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","2","0","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","1","-1","10011","11","101","-1","You're...","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","2","0","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","1","-1","10012","12","247","-1","Suika Ibuki from the ancient\ncity!","","","","","","","","","","","",""

This is if you open the .csv in Wordpad or Notepad++. If you open it up in something like Excel (in Japanese editing language) or OpenOffice Calc, it looks more like this:

So there are things like escape characters and whatnot to worry about, but using something like Excel will strip out the commas and quotation marks that separate out fields, making it a bit easier to navigate and edit. I don't have the text separated out from this type of file, just the files as ripped from the game itself. It's probably a bit unwieldy, but it's the best I can do unless you want me to go through every file and strip out the text, which would probably take longer than just translating as it is in the file.

Also, note that the two things I showed were from one of Deranged's translations, which to be honest is only a fraction of what there is remaining.

So are the Japanese texts visible so it can be translated? I can only see binaries, or maybe I don't get it yet.

If it's faster to just put it in the files, then it seems to be the best way. So long as you can explain where should I put them

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
The Japanese texts are visible, although in Excel in other for them to not have screwed up encoding, you have to switch the editing language to English.
Also, to edit it, all you have to do is write over the Japanese. If you look on the right-hand side, you can see the text (which is again English here). I'll give you a copy-paste from an untranslated document.

Code: [Select]
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10021","21","102","-1","お、おい、悲鳴だぜ??!?","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10022","22","-1","-1","STOP","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10023","23","128","-1","あちらからです!","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10024","24","-1","-1","STOP","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10025","25","-1","-1","COMMAND","","","","","","","","","","","",""
"-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","-1","10026","26","101","-1","あれは、紫に白蓮!?\nそれに??美鈴も!?","","","","","","","","","","","",""

In Excel (giving you just the Gyazo link so it doesn't get cut off by the forum):

http://gyazo.com/19dd3240420b674fbedba36f8ba0a41c

All of the text is in the column labeled "msg". That's essentially it.

I see, that sure looks easy enough to look over compared to using DOS. Just change the one in Japanese and leave the "?" and "n" since they're probably space or something.

So, are these texts sorted in order of the events of the story? Or separated from the side quests dialogues?
Or the worst case, scattered all over the place.

Let me check it then. I just need Excel, right?
Though I may need some guidance on the settings

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
So I got home from work early today and decided to make you guys something nice.

Here is the entire message_kou.csv translated.  Everything was pretty straightforward, but there were two main things that I'm not completely happy with.

釜太 - I'm pretty sure this is a name of some sort, but I have no idea how to romanize it, and 5 minutes of google accomplished nothing. I put my best guess in of Kamata, if you have something better please let me know.

Line No.18 - not sure the context, better translation would come out if you can find that.
(Japanese Text:  ここではデータスロットの変更、上書きを行います。   セーブはされないので注意してください。)

Also there were  a bunch of strings of   "あああああ"  at the beginning, I replaced them with the English equivalent ("AAAAA"), but I can't really imagine them being used for anything relevant.  If they are part of some sneaky code thing and are thus required to be in Japanese characters, well...you know what to do I suppose!

Here you go, let me know if you have any questions.  I haven't read virtually anything from the rest of the translation, so this will definitely need a check for consistency.

Hmm, system messages, is it?

Seems like I have a trouble opening it. The texts are all grouped in the first column for each lines, which I'm sure isn't how it's supposed to look.

釜太 -> isn't this just "cauldron"? As in probably for Rinnosuke's synthesis/alchemy service?
The 太 is "fat/large" so "large cauldron" or just "cauldron" should do. Well, I guess we do "speak to the cauldron", but I guess it's better to change it to "check the cauldron"

About line 18:
"Here you can change the save slot or overwrite existing ones. The game won't be saved, so please take note."
Meaning you can change which slot you want your progress to get autosaved in. Personally I never paid attention to this one, so I'm unsure if that's how it actually works. Besides, you almost always open the menu after all, so it'll get saved immediately.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
I see, that sure looks easy enough to look over compared to using DOS. Just change the one in Japanese and leave the "?" and "n" since they're probably space or something.

So, are these texts sorted in order of the events of the story? Or separated from the side quests dialogues?
Or the worst case, scattered all over the place.

Let me check it then. I just need Excel, right?
Though I may need some guidance on the settings

\n are line breaks. The texts are roughly sorted in story order, but from what I understand, it's divided into three major sets: the main stories for the four characters, then the expansion story, then the minor shikigami recruitment scenes, from what I'm seeing. It's not really "scattered all over the place", but I don't think it's in exact order on everything. As for what you need, OpenOffice Calc will work too, but if you want to use Excel, you need to go into the options and change the editing language to Japanese.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5736884_change-language-microsoft-excel.html

This shows where to do that, but do not change the display or help languages, just the editing language. That'll get it to properly detect the .csvs as being in Japanese encoding.

So I got home from work early today and decided to make you guys something nice.

Here is the entire message_kou.csv translated.  Everything was pretty straightforward, but there were two main things that I'm not completely happy with.

Ahh, thank you! Looking at it though, there's one problem that monhan also had. It looks like you stripped out all of the commas and quotation marks in Wordpad or something similar. The problem with that is that in a .csv file, commas and quotation marks are delimiting marks that separate out fields (csv itself stands for "comma separated values"). If I tried putting it into the game like this, it would be completely unable to parse it, and it would break.

In terms of the name, that's the name of the recurring synthesis cauldron in the Strawberry Bose games. From having played other games, it does seem to be used as a name, rather than as a general term (one of the games even added honorifics to represent it leveling up, I think it was Touhou Quest).

And I think that's how the saving thing works. The "save" thing at the Hakurei Shrine is essentially how you switch save slots rather than doing something like renaming the files or something in the save folder, and all further saves get saved in the new slot, while the game is saved for real after using a magic circle (saves that happen when you close the menu are backup saves, which don't exactly save you where you stand, and usually shunt you back to the beginning of the area you were in).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:27:14 PM by Validon98 »

I took 5 minutes to make a small program to fix TwilightsCall's csv file.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Oh wow, thank you again, brilion! Much appreciated.  :dragonforce:

EDIT: Okay, so with the message_kou.csv, I made a few changes for consistency reasons (changing the Remains of Blazing Hell to Hell of Blazing Fires, to match up with the translations I used in the game, and changing the Barrier Release formula to Cancellation Ceremony, to match with the translation I used for the obtaining message), and now it's inserted into the game with the changes I fixed prior, so here's version 0.05c, another game.pak update.

Get it here!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:38:31 PM by Validon98 »

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
I used Open Office Calc to mess with the files, though it should have saved with commas and everything....

Ah I see, I think it saved it as a tab delimited table instead of a comma delimited table.  I'll see if I can't play around with the settings to fix that for the next files.

Sorry for the mix-up, and thanks for the save brliron!

釜太 -> isn't this just "cauldron"? As in probably for Rinnosuke's synthesis/alchemy service?
The 太 is "fat/large" so "large cauldron" or just "cauldron" should do. Well, I guess we do "speak to the cauldron", but I guess it's better to change it to "check the cauldron"

About line 18:
"Here you can change the save slot or overwrite existing ones. The game won't be saved, so please take note."
Meaning you can change which slot you want your progress to get autosaved in. Personally I never paid attention to this one, so I'm unsure if that's how it actually works. Besides, you almost always open the menu after all, so it'll get saved immediately.

Alright, so I'd change Kamata to Mr. Cauldron (because as you said, they were using honorifics for it as if it was a person), and you can just take monhan's full translation for line 18.  That should solve those two problems nicely.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:00:28 PM by TwilightsCall »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
...Right, I forgot to fix those things with the cauldron and line 18. Fixing and uploading a 0.05d momentarily, gimme a few minutes.

EDIT: Version 0.05d good to go. :V
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:13:41 PM by Validon98 »

Can i ask?
When i try to run game after install eng patch,game is crashing.
On exactly what version of a game i need to install this patch?
And what version of your patch i need to download?(mb i install it in wrong order)
Now i have 1.12 ver of a game and i try to install patch ver 0.05a-d.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
This is meant to be run on version 2.11 of the game. It doesn't cover the pre-expansion version, sorry.

In terms of the downloads, download v0.05 first, then v0.05d. Replace the files in the game with the stuff from the 0.05 patch first, then the files from the 0.05d patch.

All of the hard work is GREATLY appreciated. I've literally been waiting two years for an English patch, but it seemed to be getting nowhere. Thank you very much for stepping up, and thank you to the supporters.

Quick questions, though: What's the translation status as of now, and how long do you think it'd take to finish completely?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:24:30 PM by Acquiesce »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
As it stands right now, there's some system messages that are not translated if only because I have absolutely no idea where to find them in the files. My guess is that they're buried amongst one of the thousands of script files somewhere. Not as in story script, I mean coding script.

There are also a few images that aren't translated because I do not have the skill to clean them up. I put them up awhile ago (like a week or two ago) to see if someone else could work on some of them, but I don't know if someone has, so I'm waiting on word on that.

Otherwise there is just the story files. I've passed them off to monhan and Syanne, to see if they (or their friends) can do something with them, but there are a lot of them, so I don't know how long it would take for them to be worked on.

Because so much of it is up in the air, I can't give an ETA on when it would be fully done. As it stands, there's little more I'm able to work on other than going through and making fixes to things here in there in the stuff I was able to do myself. I'm just waiting on hearing back from anyone who's volunteered on doing the rest.

Just a question that I haven't seen answered: is this patch for the original game only, or for Festival?  I know the project wasn't looking at Banquet due to file format changes and whatnot, but this part isn't clear.

Edit: Wow, I'm blind at 2 AM apparently, disregard this post. I just saw it no more than 3 posts above @_@
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:55:43 AM by Eilaris »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Yeah, it's for Festival. Sorry that I haven't been clear on that in the OP. I'll fix that so it'll be more clear to people looking at this for the first time. :V

Idly, as a helpful note, the cauldron itself is a reference to the Dragon Quest VIII/IX Alchemy Pot.

so I got the original game, installed the expansion, and tried the patch but it crashes..I tried to find the lastest version but couldnt find any patches (not even in the game's website, oddly enough).
what version I need in order to use the patch?

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
You need version 2.11 of the game for this patch, which is the latest version of the expansion. The patch to go from version 2.00 to 2.11 is here: http://patch.hachikuma.net/maroku/patch_maroku_211x.exe

MetalStudios

• The Paladin of Phantasm
  • One day I'll get better
So you're pretty much my favorite person ever, and I really mean that
I'm already getting giddy with excitement to play through this again and have some idea what I'm doing, and with classes done and summer break here I've got nothing better to do XD
"Do you believe in gravity? That there's a reason why we meet?"

Hey everybody!

Synnae contacted me at romhacking.net about translating the story text for Devil of Decline, and I agreed to translate the story text (and really whatever else needs to be done).

I'm not too familiar with the Touhou series, but Devil of Decline looks like a really neat game, and I'm happy to help out.

Hacking isn't my thing, but I've done a large amount of fan translations for various game systems. This page has a bunch of my past projects if anyone is interested. The systems I'm most familiar with are SNES and NES, but I've also translated one or two games for the Gameboy, X68000, PC98, and Sega Genesis.

I'm pretty proficient in Japanese and I feel I have the translation skills it takes to get this project done! I look forward to working with you guys. :D

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Oh.

Oh, my.

Oh, my, oh my goodness me.

I haven't touched DoD since the initial release or a couple patches after, never played Festival or the like.  I...think I have to now.

Mad, mad, crazy mad props to you, Validon.  I am genuinely impressed with the work you and others have put in.  Good on you, you're awesome!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Damn, this is awesome.

I finished the game when it was released (I gave up on the add-on), without understand what I was doing the whole game (one of my friend helped me for some boss).
Never played the game ever since... And I lost my save (rip my HDD QQ).

Now, I can restart this game and maybe understand what I was doing with the spells and all.

Thank you very much !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:04:01 PM by MiniTokki »