Author Topic: 13th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest  (Read 72209 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Re: 13th Annual Touhou Project Popularity Contest
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »
This year, Lunasa took Yumemi's place as the filling of the Aki Sisters sandwich...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
What I find surprising is that Clownpiece actually placed lower than last year.
After the new Fairy manga, you'd think she'd go higher, but now both Sagume and Junko is higher than her among the LoLK casts.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
It's a shame that DDC demo characters are the only Flat Characters in the series. They have almost no personality except being the victims of the mallet. Also an extra shame cuz DDC was my first Touhou game that I was hooked on ever since its trial release. Hope that ZUN expands their character a bit more in later works.

I think that's why artists like them! They are mostly a blank slate and can be use to make their own story! Example being the grassroots network MMD, taking little knowledge and using that! Daiyousei is prime for creators, she is completely blank and is a canvas for those to work with! Daiyousei popularity comes from the fans, they like her for many reasons and not because she deserves it. Still happy for many of my favorites rank up this year! (Far too many favorites!)
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »
What I find surprising is that Clownpiece actually placed lower than last year.
Good. Shoehorning her into the new manga just made me like her even less.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
Curious what Drake, P-Man, monhan, and anyone else with their finger on the pulse of the Japanese fandom thinks of these observations, particularly as they relate to the games themselves.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
Maybe people like Ten Desires, just not as much as other games, so few people vote for it or its characters because you can't vote for everything.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »
I understand that logically, some game has to be the least popular one. What is distressing is how long it takes for that least popular game to appear on the lists. There's a difference between a wide spread of game representatives in the Top 20 or 25 and, say, the entire spoken-word cast of one game appearing before the first character from another game. The latter suggests a much more notable lack of interest in the second game than the former.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
With so many characters, you could say even a character placed at 40 is still really popular,

The "downfall" of Cosmic Mind is also interesting, as well as most EoSD characters and music appear to slowly creeping up in the list each contest.

Also, Unknown X is listed twice in the music list.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
Also, Unknown X is listed twice in the music list.

This is probably because the NtoJ version is different from the Soku version.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
This is probably because the NtoJ version is different from the Soku version.
They've always been counted together. It's most likely a bug/oversight.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
It irks me a bit when I see "why did so and so score so low", it's popularity not who deserves it. TD just feels the most out of place to me, don't get me wrong I love Miko, seiga, and yoshika but I keep repeating myself... 7 I have to choose 7. It could also be the fact most of TD's characters we know a lot about already. Take Rumia for example, what is she? What kind of youkai is she? She still has mystery to her so people are still interested in seeing more of her. Wakasagihime scored in the 60s, but I love her! Her design... and that's it really... I mean she's nice and part of a group with Kagerou but there is nothing else I know about her, I want to know more about her and only the fandom can fill that need.

I don't know those are just my thoughts about TD.

TenPlates

• Trying Not To Miss One Plate!
  • Still In Practice!
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
They've always been counted together. It's most likely a bug/oversight.

Actually, I think that is
Spoiler:
the remix that appeared in Urban Legend In Limbo PS4 Version, it plays when you're fighting Mokou in Reisen Story Mode.
"Having a normal life in Gensokyo."

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2017, 07:09:22 PM »
Actually, I think that is
Spoiler:
the remix that appeared in Urban Legend In Limbo PS4 Version, it plays when you're fighting Mokou in Reisen Story Mode.
That one is called Unknown X ~ Occultly Madness, whose votes counted towards Unknown X itself.

The track went from place 159 to 324, so it is a most likely a bug/oversight.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »
Kilga, I think nobody can exactly explain why Koishi is still ranked third and her theme as well. There are no sense making theories that one can come up with. Sure, a popular character in general but how is a mystery.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »
Kilga, I think nobody can exactly explain why Koishi is still ranked third and her theme as well. There are no sense making theories that one can come up with. Sure, a popular character in general but how is a mystery.

The truest words ever said! ^-^

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »

I honestly have no idea what this has to do with anything I said, but...okay?  :wat:

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
I honestly have no idea what this has to do with anything I said, but...okay?  :wat:

Oh, well wasn't one of the reasons for some not liking the game was reused bosses? I don't think that's a bad thing but I do know a lot of people who just didn't like TD

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
Wow, I didn't know it was already over.
I kinda nailed my vote, only voting for characters and music in no particular pattern :V.

EDIT: I can't really comprehend how Rumia, one of the blandest characters from Touhou and the blandest Windows one, got a 23rd position.
Yeah, that's me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:36:31 PM by legwan-w-spioszkach »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »
Wow, I didn't know it was already over.
I kinda nailed my vote, only voting for characters and music in no particular pattern :V.

EDIT: I can't really comprehend how Rumia, one of the blandest characters from Touhou and the blandest Windows one, got a 23rd position.
Yeah, that's me.

There are many reasons for Rumia, I became a fan of hers after reireimu, for me I like her cause of the fandom which I will happily admit!

WindyKitsune

• Lumin(ifer)ous Touhouism
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
Voting Period: Sunday, January 15th 00:00 JST ~ Saturday, January 21th 23:59 JST
Too late, too bad! :fail:

It's good to see Reimu still ruling over Gensokyo.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »
Bland is subjective.

She is the first midboss and boss of the most popular game of the series. She is also simple to remember design-wise.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »
I kinda share that sentiment about TD. Mamizou hijacking FS is one thing, but the taoists have incredible interaction potential between a fabulous leader with an awesome ego, her naive but zealous right hand girl, her temperamental but friendly ghost wife who also has the bone to pick with the former and the trickster mentor extraordinare with her zombie pet.

Why is all that chemistry still so untapped, I don't know - considering the doujins at least as fun as those centered around SDM practically draw themselves. That is in fact, the reason I'm rooting for Tojiko to return somewhere in canon - so she registers as a legitimate and amusing enemy to Futo in the eyes of the fandom.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:35:21 PM by Critz »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
I would like to see more stuff like what happens with the SDM for the Taoist group.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:02 AM »
Yearly reminder that you have all failed me,  and I will not forgot this.

Also, I hypothesize that Miko and the Gang are a tad less popular because they aren't really folklore so much as historical/pseudo-historical figures? So they're kinda the odd cats out in that sense? Like if we had a thing that was all about jersey devils and bigfoots and UFO Cult alien messiahs, and then George Washington gets tossed in. Even though they're good and cool, they're kinda an odd man out.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:29 AM »
It irks me a bit when I see "why did so and so score so low", it's popularity not who deserves it. TD just feels the most out of place to me, don't get me wrong I love Miko, seiga, and yoshika but I keep repeating myself... 7 I have to choose 7. It could also be the fact most of TD's characters we know a lot about already. Take Rumia for example, what is she? What kind of youkai is she? She still has mystery to her so people are still interested in seeing more of her. Wakasagihime scored in the 60s, but I love her! Her design... and that's it really... I mean she's nice and part of a group with Kagerou but there is nothing else I know about her, I want to know more about her and only the fandom can fill that need.

I don't know those are just my thoughts about TD.
And I'm the complete opposite. I can't get myself to like characters with not much information about them, like Rumia, Kagerou, Momiji, etc. precisely because there isn't much I could like about them! Sure, there's all sorts of different interpretations by the fandom, but I'll use Momiji as an example here. A good portion of Momiji fans only like her for the Awoo, and I find things of that nature to be annoying. It's a similar reason as to why I don't like all the partner pairing shipping nonsense. Things like Doremy/Sagume have no logic behind them and I just don't see the chemistry in many of these ships.

On the other hand, I do like characters such as Marisa, Aya, Tenshi, the Komeijis and the Scarlets because it's clear enough what kinds of characters they are as well as the relevant plots and backstories involving them. Memes aside, I do see why these characters are very likable by large parts of the fanbase. There's also a reason why Reimu/Marisa is the dominating pairing - it's because they're both featured the most in terms of playables, and thus by looking at how either of them handle the incident through the various games, the logic is obvious. Pairings like Marisa/Alice (no, NOT the clingy Alice) and Reimu/Yukari also make a lot of sense due to this.

My favorite game is SA, by the way. I'm not saying the other games are strictly worse. In fact, I don't find any game bad, per se. It's just that I prefer specific games over others.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:38 AM »
What people like is different to each person (dumb thing to even point out lol), my top favorites are all part of the top 15 in polls, but as an artist and creator I appreciate what can be possible with the lesser known characters. Then again I'm a pleb who likes all characers almost equally so my opinion is usually considered trash. ^-^

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
I was thinking that Parsee would probably lost some places with the latest new characters. Of course, she just won one place since last year, but I mean since three years, she stays around at the same spot of the poll. And she's now the third highest character from SA. So yeah, I'm really suprised.

Yuuka is now 22 but she's not a character I would worry about, I'm sure she'll be higher in a future poll.

As for Clownpiece I don't find it surprising. IMO it's a character you're somewhat interested at the first sight, because of her design and her fight. But then you see characters like Sagume as more interesting and intriguing as time passes. I never liked Clownpiece anyway, not because of her fight, I just don't think the character was that interesting. Also I don't like her design at all.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:06:34 PM by MaskedLeon »

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
Questionnaire results: http://toho-vote.info/result_questionnaire.php
You can also view detailed results on the characters. The comments are...interesting, to say the least. http://toho-vote.info/result_list_character.php

Drake

« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
Curious what Drake, P-Man, monhan, and anyone else with their finger on the pulse of the Japanese fandom thinks of these observations, particularly as they relate to the games themselves.
Here's a graph of the data from the past four contests (now incl. this year's) about when the voters got into Touhou:

what is truly mind-boggling is how fan interest seems to simply pole vault from UFO to DDC

This comment is kind of on-the-nose because there basically was a slump in the newcomers during that period.

Probably important is that the voterbase is composed of 50% people who found out about Touhou either through video-sharing websites and 30% by offline relations. Assuming this holds in general, those 30% would then have been introduced 50% through videos and 30% other offlines, and continuing like this you converge to about 71.4% of people getting in by influence of the video culture (note: not at all rigorous). Considering that the golden age of Touhou video culture occurred with the peak of the introduced fans, it's pretty easy to see these are highly correlated. I doubt the gameplay contents themselves have much to do with it, really.

Besides demographics, utility of characters are a big deal. I'd propose that for a character to be "successful" in the fandom they have to fit certain characteristics, themes, roles, and so on, that makes them good candidates for playing with. People talk a lot about whether a character is already fleshed out or whether they're open for a lot of interpretation (as shown in the above posts) and I think that is important to consider, but I think this is a lot more relevant in the fandom's eye. Miko, while being a character I like, is kind of missing "stuff" to be popular with the fandom, and I think that's true of most of the cast of TD despite the thought put into them. Mamizou is a character I like quite a lot primarily coming from all of her post-TD appearances, but also doesn't really have a lot of "utility" as a character to make content with. There are definitely outliers, but even Rumia has the right stuff to be quite popular despite how many people find her bland. If you're cute and have the right design and a workable personality in some fashion you're good, more or less.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:54:58 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2017, 04:41:57 PM »
This comment is kind of on-the-nose because there basically was a slump in the newcomers during that period.

Damn, and that appears to be true in the 13th poll as well, with the August 2011 option in the questionnaire having just barely above 7%.

Poor Taoists, being literal victims of circumstances and their own inherent greatness. :(
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.