Author Topic: RaNGE Contest #18: Extra Love  (Read 28947 times)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Re: RaNGE Contest #18: Extra Love
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:37 AM »
-Apparently I really needed to include my recommended player in the stage description[Or just make my own player and hardcode it in] because only two people have actually used the one I asked for. Ultima's Reimu and even the default Rumia actually seemed to do just as well, but the Artifact Marisa one somehow glitched out my score tracking mechanism.

I think I had A2 Marisa use a built-in scoring mechanism for my Artifact 2 entry, so yeah, that's probably why.

~~~

UPDATE: I plan to stream the last three entries at around 8 PM EST on Saturday Nov 4, 2017

http://twitch.tv/sparenofiria

EDIT: Stream is now up and live.

EDITTTTT: Stream has concluded @Awalys: I cannot give you a video because I could not beat your script after three tries.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:36:46 AM by Sparen »

IIRawsomeII

• Treat me as you will
    • Rawcode Studios
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2017, 12:34:44 AM »
I think I had A2 Marisa use a built-in scoring mechanism for my Artifact 2 entry, so yeah, that's probably why.

~~~

UPDATE: I plan to stream the last three entries at around 8 PM EST on Saturday Nov 4, 2017

http://twitch.tv/sparenofiria

EDIT: Stream is now up and live.

EDITTTTT: Stream has concluded @Awalys: I cannot give you a video because I could not beat your script after three tries.

You were streaming yesterday!?! Agh, I didin?t know.
Talking about my script: I admit it?s rushed. It came down to a few minutes at submission. And it was my first serious script so It was going to be bad. But I still enjoyed making it and I loved seeing the reactions to my script and others. I could list the flaws but I don?t want to because it would be long. I?m really anticipating the next RaNGE Contest so I could Improve. I can?t wait!
Let's start again

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »

Welp. If that isn't a sign of quality script balancing then I don't know what it is. /s
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Welp. If that isn't a sign of quality script balancing then I don't know what it is. /s

It was impossible for me to avoid dying on the first spell and Laevateinn multiple times.

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2017, 11:26:32 PM »

To be honest, the only truly unbalanced part was Spear the Eitgeist? There's one phase of that spell that I swear is just too fast to dodge and it almost always instakills you if you're playing blind. Leavateein isn't nearly as bad, although seeing it transition to screen-filling laser for the first time is another nigh-guaranteed death and requires counting slashes for the times after that. The rest of the script is pretty hard, but doable with enough practice, more or less on par with FDF Flandre level. Calvary Road in particular is really freaking cool[If still hard].

That said, the bomb on Blaimu works pretty weirdly. It clears basically no bullets and has very short invulnerability time. Notably, the last part means that the screen is still shaking by the time you become hittable again, which is lethal compared with its lack of bullet clearing. All its really good for is powering through Spear the Eitgeist or the screen-filling portion of Levaitieen, since it still hurt Flandre for some reason.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:06 AM »
As a note, both myself and Pikmin H (I think?) have finished our uploads of our play throughs of the RaNGE 18 contest entries. I also believe that Python is uploading as well.

The videos can be found at this location:
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,21068.msg1364806.html#msg1364806

My old stream archives:
Part 1 (WishMaker, Conarnar, Junky, Vigor, Lollipop, Arcvasti, DtMeowstic): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187118772
Part 1.5 (Umbra, Jimmy): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187146101
Part 2 (GenoCraft, Awalys, Rawsome): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187729111 (Starts around 24:00)

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
For people who have played my entry
I want to clear few misunderstandings about my entry
1. The player is originally from Junky, and it is already released at Bulletforge before I even begin making my entry. Thus, it's not a custom-player for my entry, it's all-you-can-get player.

2. The speed of the player in early testing was not edited, yes, it's the fast speed for all testing. However, due to the addition of "impossible" difficulty in later updates (Absurd), I try to make a last-minute edit for the speed. Whereas you can see, you start with edited speed, but if you death-bomb or something like that (I still don't know the cause), the speed is changed to the original version (the fast one). If you ask me, don't blame Junky who made the Player, just blame me who can't make proper edits to the player. (Also, I noticed that player is rendered over bullets during testing, I try to change it, but nothing works for it).

3. Yes, the add-rendering is excessive as always. I tried to test the 3 playable difficulties (Normal, Hard, Unreal), the fps stay around 55-60 when I test it. It is understandable tho for fps in higher difficulties, as more bullets are spawned, wherein Normal you should be able to run around 50-60 fps unless you have a serious technical difficulty. Although there are several complaints from the tester about fps in final spell, I try to minimise it as possible while still giving the appropriate difficulty, and that's the best I can do while still using add rendering.

4. As you might have noticed, AJS is mentioned before you play it. If you are wondering what I meant, try to look around at the scripts that AJS have made. Yes, all spells are based on them. I say this early just to avoid confusion about special credits to AJS. As I know that this will give me some deductions for the points.

+. At first, I make this script just for fun purpose, trying to combining AJS scripts into a whole new "Recollection", I already understand at this point that points might get deducted due to the unoriginality. Hence, I have decided that I will keep working it, despite the risks. It was fun though, combining multiple ideas into one new attack.

And, yes, I just noticed several unbalance of difficulties in the script from those Let's play videos.
Even though I would love to update the script, the judging is still in progress. Hence, I cannot make any changes for that, as it will cause confusion.
Yes, I know some people already made Let's Play video out of it, I just try to fix the major issues so anyone else who would like to play it can enjoy it.
Although this is unnecessary, an additional bonus content might be added to that update that can be played separately, it's the idea that I couldn't put it in the entry before the time.

That's all I can say,
thank your for playing and making Let's play video of my entry,
and I'm really sorry for these issues.

The reason I'm writing this?
I did not expect that the popularity of this contest is really high, there's like 6 times I watch someone play my entry and others (Pikno, Sparen, Python, Porygon, Ninja, Zorua).
In order to avoid the misunderstanding, I would to make a proper explanation and apology.
Also, no, I don't mind if the judges don't read this and just score whichever number they come up with based on their own experiences.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:44:51 PM by Vigor »

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
We've made good progress on judging the entries so expect results by the end of the weekend!
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

IIRawsomeII

• Treat me as you will
    • Rawcode Studios
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:10 AM »
We've made good progress on judging the entries so expect results by the end of the weekend!
Can't wait for the results. Though I already know that I'm placing dead last. But I still want to know how others fared too!
Let's start again

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2017, 12:43:30 AM »
Hi everyone. I know Tricky said we'd be done by the end of the weekend but my last weekend was quite a bit more busy than I had anticipated. Rest assured that I am making progress and just want to play all of the entries one more time before I submit my final judgement. I expect that we will have the results out within the week.

Thank you for your patience!

IIRawsomeII

• Treat me as you will
    • Rawcode Studios
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2017, 12:55:35 AM »
Hi everyone. I know Tricky said we'd be done by the end of the weekend but my last weekend was quite a bit more busy than I had anticipated. Rest assured that I am making progress and just want to play all of the entries one more time before I submit my final judgment. I expect that we will have the results out within the week.

Thank you for your patience!
Dammit. I was so excited about the results and I thought this was it. It's okay Ozzy though.
Let's start again

ExPorygon

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2017, 05:50:41 AM »
We're extremely sorry for the delay but here are the results! This was a SUPER close contest. We decided that the score difference between Jimmy and Conarnar was too small to count, so they received a tie. We even spent the better part of last night trying to figure out if the difference between 1st and 2nd place was large enough (we decided that it was).

#1) Junky - Burning Phoenix
#2) Jimmy - Three Dimensions
#2) Conarnar - Extraordinary Subconscious
#3) DryTheMeowstic - Youkai Road
#4) Vigor/Necroheart - Recollection Violet
#5) Umbra - Overly Spicy Chicken Nugget
#6) WishMakers - Return to the Demon World
#7) iVAwalys - Flandre is Bored
#8) Genocraft - Disastrous Dream Duet
#9) Arcvasti - Fluffytail Wonderland
#10) Lollipop - Diabolic Wave
#11) Rawsome - Koishi

Score Spreadsheet Here

Congratulations to the winners!!!

I totally didn't steal this post format from Tres.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:53:37 AM by ExPorygon »

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
Worry not, you have taken the time you needed for making a fair judgment, and that's what truly matters  ;)

Anyways... well, I didn't actually expect to be placed that high from the get-go...

Sincere congratulations to Junky for winning this contest, and everyone else who has participated! It has been really fun this time.

Wonder what will come next?
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »
lol xd

congrats to everyone who participated  ;)

Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »
Super congrats to the winners!  You all earned it.
Working on this project was super fun, and watching everyone including myself improve was even more so!
Can't wait until the next one!  :)

EDIT: Recognized my weak spot, pattern creativity.  Can fix!  I'm glad people had fun with my entry!  :3
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:24:37 PM by WishMakers »
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

IIRawsomeII

• Treat me as you will
    • Rawcode Studios
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
oh gee i would have never guessed i would get last place oh noooo

A joking aside, Congrats to the winners! I'm excited about next contest. I promise it won't be crap!
Also for Lollipop, be happy you aren't last!
Let's start again

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »
Congratulations to the winner and runner ups. Your names will go into the Hall of Fame!

Edit: done
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:14:45 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
Well, at least I'm not the worst. :V

I loved participating in this contest. Really got me back into Danmakufu. (although after I finished my entry I feel completely burnt out again...)
Congratulations to the winners, of course!
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
Well, that basically went as expected. The moral of this story is that I need to get good at graphic design. Interestingly, my script was the only one rated higher by Trickysticks then by Exporygon. I guess that just means they have different tolerance levels for terrible spellcard backgrounds.

ExPorygon

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
Well, at least I'm not the worst. :V

I loved participating in this contest. Really got me back into Danmakufu. (although after I finished my entry I feel completely burnt out again...)
Congratulations to the winners, of course!
I want to say that I actually thought your script had really cool ideas or maybe it's just cause Flandre is my favorite character. I actually thought the L?vateinn spell was particularly inventive. It's a great spin on the original, which I have gotten very tired of, and I rarely see other scripts take a crack at L?vateinn. Sadly, those spells are really hard to execute well. That and a lot of the rest of the script were rather unfair for a first time player, and that spear spell is just way too fast.

I guess the moral of the story is to keep at it, since you're definitely good at coming up with good ideas. That goes for a lot of people participating in this contest, actually. Also get more playtesters, if you can. I'll be looking forward to everyone's participation in the next contest.

IIRawsomeII

• Treat me as you will
    • Rawcode Studios
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
Talking about the next contest, can you give an estimate for when it will be?
Let's start again

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »

Give it a few months. It's unlikely there will be another contest this year, though if there is one it will be around New Years. More likely the next contest will be in February/March

ExPorygon

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2017, 05:14:48 AM »
We try to not do them too often to avoid contest fatigue. I wouldn't want to run another one until at least next February, personally.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »

I feel like it'd be a lot easier to challenge someone who's also itching for a reason to script something in particular, to something like a scripting duel of sorts. Just get a couple of judges, agree on a theme to script for, script length and restrictions, and you'd be set I think.

Just don't go overboard with those in case another contest rolls around.