Author Topic: Supernatural Awakening - Normal Mode Demo  (Read 7177 times)

Supernatural Awakening - Normal Mode Demo
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
So I finnaly have enough done to qualify as a demo, it's rough around the edges, there are some minor glitches here and then like sometimes the scoreboards will overlap when you die, the only thing missing outright would be after-battle convos.  Anyways I'm showing this to everyone so I can get feedback, maybe people could tell me how to balance certain parts, either to make normal as close as ZUN normal as possible, and to make the player script and enemies have enough damage/health.

Anyways I'm rambling. Here it is~

http://www.mediafire.com/?ankof5aleg9tkip

A human-turned-werewolf discovers something weird happening up on a mountain that can only be spotted far in the wilderness, he teams up with an angel girl that might be someone he knows. She explains that it's the distortion, and that it turns humans and other mortal creatures into monsters and such. They get started on their quest to climb the mountain and get to the bottom of the growing distortion void problem.

Before I forget:
Sound Effects are from the actual touhou games.
Music belongs to my friend, EXCEPT for:
Stage 2 boss's temporary theme belongs to ZUN
Stage 3 stage's temp theme was taking from Pop'n'music
Stage 3 boss's temporary theme belongs to ZUN
Magic circles and some stock images I found off of google.

Zil

Re: Supernatural Awakening - Normal Mode Demo
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:21:05 AM »
Well here's my opinion.

It seems quite good overall. The visuals are nice and the spells are interesting. I'm not sure how close it is to Touhou Normal since I haven't played Normal in a long time. I think I can comment on a few things though.

The fairies have huge hitboxes. They seem to kill you if you get anywhere near them.
A few of the stage 1 boss's attacks feel like they don't have enough health, even for a stage 1 boss.
The stage 3 midboss's spell is just slow streaming. Considering how elaborate it looked, I'm not sure if you meant it to be that simple or not.

Otherwise very nice. I'd love to see the Hard or Lunatic versions once you've completed them.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:47 AM »
Well here's my opinion.

It seems quite good overall. The visuals are nice and the spells are interesting. I'm not sure how close it is to Touhou Normal since I haven't played Normal in a long time. I think I can comment on a few things though.

The fairies have huge hitboxes. They seem to kill you if you get anywhere near them.
A few of the stage 1 boss's attacks feel like they don't have enough health, even for a stage 1 boss.
The stage 3 midboss's spell is just slow streaming. Considering how elaborate it looked, I'm not sure if you meant it to be that simple or not.

Otherwise very nice. I'd love to see the Hard or Lunatic versions once you've completed them.

Those are very legit points, I had intended the stage 3 midboss's spell to be one that forces you to go around as she did, and to avoid bursting the butterfly bullets which would happen when you get too close, but it's really easy to get around that by taking things very slowly.

I don't know if that's reasonable for normal stage 3 or not, or if I should try making the spell more gimmicky to force you to to go where she wants you to. I suppose adding more bullets to the burst, to make it harder to stream at close range, could work ^^

Zil

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, the burst bullets are actually aimed at you, so you know you can just keep streaming and nothing will hit you. If you added a bit more bullets to each burst, and more importantly randomized them, that should work pretty well I think.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
I love the music your friend made. Enemy attacks are a bit too easy(except for stage3 final boss, which are ok), but at the moment the unfair hitboxes compensate for that.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
I love the music your friend made. Enemy attacks are a bit too easy(except for stage3 final boss, which are ok), but at the moment the unfair hitboxes compensate for that.

Yeah the hitbox are getting better I'm progressively editing my existing stuff while making new content.

I ran into a very weird glitch though, it only happens during the last phase of the Yuki and Mai styled fight in stage 4 where there are two bosses at once thus two magic circles. Anyways during the last phase near the end of their lifebar usualy the magic circles change into giant numbers and stop spinning, the numbers are from the sprite array I made with the array representing each number, and the numbers seem sometimes random. I REALLY don't get whats going with this since I don't see where in the code that this would even be able to happen. So yeah I'm gonna need to figure that out. X3

EDIT: This is so weird, the circles are basically alternate versions of the the circles used up to this point, they follow the specific coordinates of the duo-boss 's two bosses trough CommonData, it turns out it isn't just numbers, but any symbol thats part of my frame, the hearts, the empty hearts, the slash symbol, the comma, etc. The circles always change during the last phase to an oversized symbol, they stop following the bosses, overlap everything when they didn't do that before and during a last test run the circles didn't show up at all, but there were still giant numbers on screen AFTER the bosses were gone...WHAT.

I will get to the bottom of this!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:29:09 PM by Sammythebat »

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
Progress has been pretty decent, I can safely say that about half the game is done now.

Stage 4 is 90% done, fully playable with only a few graphical resources and the conversation scene to be done. The stage has a Yuki and Mai style boss that seems to work as it should so far, it's fun if not slightly unbalanced, I think one boss has a harder solo fight than the other.

Stage 5 has been started, the boss has been started and she has a few spellcards, hoping to make her Orin hard, to build the climax of the game.

Some issues have been fixed such as hitboxes which have been a big issue in the demo.

Hoping to add some more visual evidence of Stage 4 and Stage 5 at the end of March Break

Yao-Kun

• Touhou Reimu & Miko Lovers
  • Busy doing college stuff...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:56 AM »
wow, this scripts looks good  :3
too bad my down arrow malfunction so I can't play danmakufu  :(

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
So much for Take it Easy...

Daemoniken

• Nitori...just 'cuz.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37:18 AM »
Well, here's another Danmakufu project I gotta keep my eyes on now. Though I must practice the 3rd Stage boss more, or else I'll be completely destroyed by whatever the next stage will have...

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »
Well, here's another Danmakufu project I gotta keep my eyes on now. Though I must practice the 3rd Stage boss more, or else I'll be completely destroyed by whatever the next stage will have...

Yeah I'm still getting difficulties down XD

First thing I'm trying to do at the moment is improve my artstyle since I switched over to a new art program, pretty much all instances of cutins will need to be redrawn to stay consistant. But I'm getting there, as for the game itself stage 4 is pretty much done albeit missing a few things and I began work on stage 5.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 03:56:57 AM »
Yeah I'm still getting difficulties down XD

First thing I'm trying to do at the moment is improve my artstyle since I switched over to a new art program, pretty much all instances of cutins will need to be redrawn to stay consistant. But I'm getting there, as for the game itself stage 4 is pretty much done albeit missing a few things and I began work on stage 5.

Wow, I just have to say that I find it funny that you are pretty much at the same point with your game as I am for mine (minus the starting stage 5 part). I have difficulties almost finished up, but with loads of bugs still. Anyway, I'm also posting to mention that I'm greatly looking forward to more stuff as I enjoyed the first 3 stages quite a bit!

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
I don't think I'm experienced enough to be a good judge but I thought I'd try this out. I died a few times, and that number went up a lot on the stage 3 boss. I think I could avoid dieing with some practice so I guess that's the reaction you'd want.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
I like this. this is pretty good. I think it's a bit easy at first, but it gains difficulty smoothly. A big problem that I noticed while playing is that, especially during Kiro's "Colossal spread", those big ice chunks can still kill the player while the player is bombing. Not very fun when you're bombing to avoid death and you still die.