Author Topic: Shooter games  (Read 172960 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Shooter games
« Reply #960 on: November 29, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »
Congrats. Was this your first 1CC of DoDonPachi?
First 1cc, but I was awfully close to a 1cc AND a loop(st5 mass streaming is the only place I can get a chain like that)
Reached st6 for the 1st time today and beat it on the 3rd time I've got there.

I've reached the final boss with 2 lives and full bombs, so it isn't that hard IMO.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:08:22 AM by Bananamatic »

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #961 on: November 29, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
So, after all that talk about Mushi P-A copies not coming with the DLC Card, i ordered from NCSX.

Whichever ships first, I'll cancel the other.

So.. good luck to me
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #962 on: November 29, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »
And if they ship out at the same time, then you get a copy to sell later on.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #963 on: November 29, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
haha I doubt they'll ship at the same time, since people in shmup forums are saying P-A's estimated shipping date is December 7th+
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #964 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »
Sigh... I think I should just make my sig: "I hate the input lag in Mame."
Sigh... it's the cause of every single one of my restarts.

Matsuri

« Reply #965 on: November 29, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
Sigh... I think I should just make my sig: "I hate the input lag in Mame."
Sigh... it's the cause of every single one of my restarts.

lol k

here you go :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #966 on: November 29, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
Now I'm wondering....how the hell did 2 people die of a heart attack while playing Berzerk yet no one died at Dodonpachi.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:27:43 PM by Bananamatic »

Matsuri

« Reply #967 on: November 29, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
Now I'm wondering....how the hell did 2 people die of a heart attack while playing Berzerk yet no one died at Dodonpachi.

Berzerk isn't an easy game, ya know. :P

Bananamatic

« Reply #968 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:48 PM »
Berzerk isn't an easy game, ya know. :P
DDP can wear you out rather fast...you definitely won't go for a second run right after one :V

Also, maybe I should leave the noobtype C-S and move onto something better which allows actual chaining.
A-L? B-L?

« Reply #969 on: November 29, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
Wait, what's this that happened with Berzerk?

I haven't played Samidare in years, but from out of nowhere today, its Extra Stage music has been looping in my head.

Bananamatic

« Reply #970 on: November 29, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
Wait, what's this that happened with Berzerk?

I haven't played Samidare in years, but from out of nowhere today, its Extra Stage music has been looping in my head.
Basically, doods played Berzerk and died of a heart attack. 2 in 1 year or so.

Tried B-L. Killing bosses faster is nice, but I suck at any fast shottypes, period. I might try C-L.

Bananamatic

« Reply #971 on: November 29, 2009, 11:01:33 PM »

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Final score was 32m.

Unfortunately....I've decided to record and apparently you can't savestate while recording, so I've pressed escape and, well....it turned off :V

So, /r loop 2 state.
I've fucking deserved it. Come on :V
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:04:00 PM by Bananamatic »

Matsuri

« Reply #972 on: November 29, 2009, 11:04:26 PM »
If you hit me up on MSN later I'll give it to you.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #973 on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
http://rapidshare.com/files/314027539/ddonpach-l.sta.html

Here's my savestate at the start of the second loop. It uses A-L though.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Bananamatic

« Reply #974 on: November 29, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
http://rapidshare.com/files/314027539/ddonpach-l.sta.html

Here's my savestate at the start of the second loop. It uses A-L though.
Doesn't matter, I'll probably die 5 times before 2-2.

« Reply #975 on: November 30, 2009, 01:30:35 AM »
Am I correct in thinking that there is an Arrange OST packaged with the limited edition of Futari?

Matsuri

« Reply #976 on: November 30, 2009, 01:59:08 AM »
You are correct!

Someone posted this on shmups forum:

It's a double arrange album, in fact.

Like I said earlier, just ask me if you want to hear it once I get it.  ;)

EDIT:
Also, check these out. It's an Arrange ULTRA Mode 1cc. Pay close attention to the final boss and TLB. I'd go so far as to say that the very final pattern would be the most wicked impossible thing ever in a danmaku shmup, if it weren't for the bullet reflection. Yes, even worse than Aki's final pattern.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8947905
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8949852
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:04:55 AM by Matsuri »

« Reply #977 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:02 AM »
You are correct!

Someone posted this on shmups forum:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/wwwdotuporg389531.jpg

It's a double arrange album, in fact.

Like I said earlier, just ask me if you want to hear it once I get it.  ;)

Will do. :P Had I known that they were arrange albums I probably would have pre-ordered the LE, but I had thought it just included the standard OST.

EDIT:
Also, check these out. It's an Arrange ULTRA Mode 1cc. Pay close attention to the final boss and TLB. I'd go so far as to say that the very final pattern would be the most wicked impossible thing ever in a danmaku shmup, if it weren't for the bullet reflection. Yes, even worse than Aki's final pattern.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8947905
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8949852

First, Jesus, the port looks gorgeous, even on a fucking stream. I'm impressed. Hopefully ESPGaluda II and Ketsui end up getting the same treatment.

I didn't have the time to watch it all, so I just saw the Spiritual Larsa fight. I'm laughing at the ridiculousness of some of those final patterns. At least Hibachi's last pattern in Dai Ou Jou is technically dodgeable. :D It reminds me of the final pattern of Ikaruga, which is basically an ultimate test to see how well you can utilize the central mechanic of the game.

I can also see some people at Shmups Forum fuming over the voices in Arrange. I await the drama.

Matsuri

« Reply #978 on: November 30, 2009, 03:04:07 AM »
It's nothing new, really. They just love to complain about the smallest things, as if it stops them from enjoying the game. Not that it would stop them anyway :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #979 on: November 30, 2009, 03:21:32 AM »
It's nothing new, really. They just love to complain about the smallest things, as if it stops them from enjoying the game. Not that it would stop them anyway :V

Nah they're right. The game sucks, they should send it to me and I'll properly ahh...Dispose it.

« Reply #980 on: November 30, 2009, 04:21:51 AM »
I only hope that the game is reasonably playable with the standard Xbox 360 game pad. I want to transition to a stick eventually, but I will probably have to delay it a bit, since that is going to take a bit of research (and they seem a bit pricey). The PS2 game pad gave me hell.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #981 on: November 30, 2009, 04:26:20 AM »
I only hope that the game is reasonably playable with the standard Xbox 360 game pad. I want to transition to a stick eventually, but I will probably have to delay it a bit, since that is going to take a bit of research (and they seem a bit pricey). The PS2 game pad gave me hell.

I don't have a stick for any of my shooter games. Does it really help that much for absolutely everyone? I find it hard to believe since most have very digital movement. I mean generally you can only go 8 directions with no way to change the speed of movement outside of the focus mode/rapid tapping. I understand alot of peopel will tell me it helps alot as a matter of preference. But are there ANY high-end shooter fans at ALL who claim a stick doesn't help them?

I'd try one and see for myself but I don't want to spend the cash just for an experiment y'know?

« Reply #982 on: November 30, 2009, 04:46:29 AM »
Real men move their lolis with keyboard.

But to be serious, the main reason that most people probably use sticks is because arcade games are made to be controlled that way, so they want the movement type that allows for the best play possible. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:51:34 AM by Azinth »

« Reply #983 on: November 30, 2009, 04:58:30 AM »
I don't have a stick for any of my shooter games. Does it really help that much for absolutely everyone? I find it hard to believe since most have very digital movement. I mean generally you can only go 8 directions with no way to change the speed of movement outside of the focus mode/rapid tapping. I understand alot of peopel will tell me it helps alot as a matter of preference. But are there ANY high-end shooter fans at ALL who claim a stick doesn't help them?

I'd try one and see for myself but I don't want to spend the cash just for an experiment y'know?

For me, it's not a matter of whether it will help me or not. What I'm after is consistency across multiple platforms. I'm very used to the keyboard, because most of the shooters I play are on the PC; this gives me problems when having to play on a console with a game-pad. Transitioning to a stick will allow me to use it on the console as well as the PC. I've never used a stick for shooters before though, so I do expect a steep learning curve.

I would assume that most high-end players do use a stick, because most shooters are designed to be played with one, and most of the time, they are only accessible via stick (arcades, etc). But yeah, I've seen high-end players prefer to play with game-pads and keyboards. I've also seen people say that they can't go back after trying a stick. If the option is there, it comes down to preference, like you said.

Matsuri

« Reply #984 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »
Hardly a day without posting? It feels so lonely in here :(

Anyway, I played some Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings 2 today, made by the people who would later become Psikyo. Once you get a couple of stages in it turns into total bullshit as far as bullet speed goes.

i never thought i'd be frying over a jungle :V

« Reply #985 on: December 01, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »
I just played some Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings 2.

Holy fuck that was the weirdest Psikyo game. I didn't know what I was doing; just flying around collecting yen signs and shit, and all of a sudden the Statue of Liberty gives me a powerup. Then it got hard with ships firing bullets really close to my ship while trying to fly into me, but like a true hero, I kept putting in credits and got to the final boss, which turned out to be some kind of monkey. :V

It really wore out my finger though. Psikyo games make my shot feel underpowered, which makes me tap the shot button really quickly just to be able to kill things.

Matsuri

« Reply #986 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
Hmm, I wouldn't exactly call it a Psikyo game directly. Think of it kind of like the Toaplan -> CAVE/Takumi/Raizing relationship.

I think what makes Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings so damn hard is because of the vertizontal layout. Tiny, fast bullets and lots of space is really deceptive, especially since there's a lot of space for a bullet to come from behind, and being severely underpowered doesn't help. Psikyo continues Video System's little tradition of losing Maximum Power after a set amount of time for a few early games, then apparently they realized 'oh hey, this is fucking stupid' and took that out :V
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:22:36 AM by Matsuri »

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #987 on: December 01, 2009, 11:38:29 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA I am so unlucky I can't believe

I ordered a copy of Mushi last friday from Play Asia. It was set to ship on the 7th, so I ordered from NCSX as well and as soon as that one shipped, i'd cancel my P-A order.
Last night neither had shipped but I was going to cancel the P-A order anyway because everyone's not getting their DLC card. Except my internet went down.

This morning I woke up and guess what? Both copies shipped at the same time... P-A got a restock and shipped the rest of their orders today...

What are the odds?

Now I'll be stuck with two S-E copies, one of which isn't first print so it doesn't come with the DLC card.

To make things worse, both are priority international air mail, which made the price rise to about U$105 per game... GREAT!

*hits head against wall*
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:40:08 AM by lmagus »
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #988 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
Is it possible to play my 360 with a keyboard?
Mushihimesama won't feel JUST right without using arrow keys for movement and Z to shoot.

Matsuri

« Reply #989 on: December 01, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA I am so unlucky I can't believe

I ordered a copy of Mushi last friday from Play Asia. It was set to ship on the 7th, so I ordered from NCSX as well and as soon as that one shipped, i'd cancel my P-A order.
Last night neither had shipped but I was going to cancel the P-A order anyway because everyone's not getting their DLC card. Except my internet went down.

This morning I woke up and guess what? Both copies shipped at the same time... P-A got a restock and shipped the rest of their orders today...

What are the odds?

Now I'll be stuck with two S-E copies, one of which isn't first print so it doesn't come with the DLC card.

To make things worse, both are priority international air mail, which made the price rise to about U$105 per game... GREAT!

*hits head against wall*

Nice one :V

Is it possible to play my 360 with a keyboard?
Mushihimesama won't feel JUST right without using arrow keys for movement and Z to shoot.

Not sure. Can't hurt to try, though. I will say that attempting to play the first Mushihimesama using a keyboard (via emulator) felt really uncomfortable, and that arrow keys were very poorly-suited to dodging Mushi-brand bullets.