Author Topic: Shooter games  (Read 171103 times)

Re: Shooter games
« Reply #990 on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
I tried playing Mushi on the emulator, and I immediately felt that I had better control over it. But overall, the game felt off. I'm not sure in what capacity, but there was something about it that didn't feel right. I think I need to tweak some settings or just wait for more development on the emulator or something.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #991 on: December 01, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
it's input lag

It's the same here, it's unplayable on keyboard
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:25:38 PM by lmagus »
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Matsuri

« Reply #992 on: December 01, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
Well the game was already unplayable due to it playing at 10fps, but still!

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #993 on: December 01, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »
Well the game was already unplayable due to it playing at 10fps, but still!

I play it at 60fps here just fine..

but on keyboard there is too much input lag.

on the controller is much better.
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #994 on: December 01, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
Yeah, Mushi was going for me at 60 fps as well. I don't get noticeable input lag with anything (Touhou, MAME, etc), so I'm not sure if it was that. I'll rip my DOJ later and give that a go and see how it is.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #995 on: December 01, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA I am so unlucky I can't believe

I ordered a copy of Mushi last friday from Play Asia. It was set to ship on the 7th, so I ordered from NCSX as well and as soon as that one shipped, i'd cancel my P-A order.
Last night neither had shipped but I was going to cancel the P-A order anyway because everyone's not getting their DLC card. Except my internet went down.

This morning I woke up and guess what? Both copies shipped at the same time... P-A got a restock and shipped the rest of their orders today...

What are the odds?

Now I'll be stuck with two S-E copies, one of which isn't first print so it doesn't come with the DLC card.

To make things worse, both are priority international air mail, which made the price rise to about U$105 per game... GREAT!

*hits head against wall*

That's the risk you were hopefully willing to take when you ordered both at once.

On the plus side thought, you can hold on to one without opening it or whatever, and probably re-sell it on ebay later for double the amount.

Bananamatic

« Reply #996 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
Tried DonPachi. Didn't really like it for the same reason as PC98 Touhou - way too long stages.

Matsuri

« Reply #997 on: December 01, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
Yeah, Mushi was going for me at 60 fps as well. I don't get noticeable input lag with anything (Touhou, MAME, etc), so I'm not sure if it was that. I'll rip my DOJ later and give that a go and see how it is.

Gah, what the hell. I couldn't get it to run at a proper speed at all.

Tried DonPachi. Didn't really like it for the same reason as PC98 Touhou - way too long stages.

You're seriously going to write it off as unenjoyable just because of that?  :-\

Bananamatic

« Reply #998 on: December 01, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
You're seriously going to write it off as unenjoyable just because of that?  :-\
Yeah, I don't enjoy shmups with way too long stages.

Matsuri

« Reply #999 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »
Hrm, that's too bad. :(

You should try DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou DEATH LABEL. There's no stages at all. :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #1000 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »

It works fine for me too, and that was with GsDX (or whatever it's called) version 9xx or something. I recently updated it to 16xx. Let's just say thatI had a nother game that would chug at 4fps (yes, 4)... I can spew what my config settings are at if you like.

As for Ban, I prefer bosses over stages mostly too. I mean sometimes I can enjoy stages in a shmup. But most of the time, I find that they require most of the memorization in a shmup, which I HATE. Even in touhou, with its short stages, I still hate them. Almost half+ of my deaths and bombs are during stages, which is caused not by lack of skill or something. But out of failure to remember t hat "zomg wave of baddies that spam bullets like no tomorrow that nobody can possibly dodge easily spawns on the left side and oh shit I'm on the right *bomb*".

I do like my stages to be somewhat difficult provided they aren't trivilized by doing each and every part in it "right" however. I find stage 3 of stella vanity is a great example of this.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1001 on: December 01, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
Ketsui Death Label for the DS

Only bosses.

It's pretty fucking good
Watch me on Youtube

Matsuri

« Reply #1002 on: December 01, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »
I like a good balance of stage and boss. Mushi pulls this off pretty well, with the first three stages being maybe 3-5 minutes long with a 1-3 minute boss and the other two being about 7-8 minutes long with stronger, longer bosses. Touhou stages are about the right length, but they're just too damn boring in my eyes. The bosses obviously redeem the games, being long and much more exciting.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #1003 on: December 01, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
I like a good balance of stage and boss. Mushi pulls this off pretty well, with the first three stages being maybe 3-5 minutes long with a 1-3 minute boss and the other two being about 7-8 minutes long with stronger, longer bosses. Touhou stages are about the right length, but they're just too damn boring in my eyes. The bosses obviously redeem the games, being long and much more exciting.

I think the problem with touhou stages is that it lacks a balance between strong and weak enemies. In addition, if there is an occasional strong enemy (very rare), it has no visual difference from the others. They're all just fairies. Not that fairies are bad. But..I don't know, have a badass looking fairy? lol. I mean when you play a shooter with a variety of enemies, the "popcorn" ones are noticeably different than the beefy ones in such a way so that you know which is which even if you haven't played the game. I don't mean it's just a visual thing though. Just that in Touhou, it all seems like 1 giant wave of the same thing over and over for stages.

Bananamatic

« Reply #1004 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:15 PM »
Hibachi 2cc. I guess that I won't get any better :V

It's really about getting the most out of the 4th phase.
The final sucks....the other phases can be read and bombed if you are fast enough, but dancing inside a bullet wall with zero deathbomb time...nah :V
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:36:23 PM by Bananamatic »

Matsuri

« Reply #1005 on: December 01, 2009, 10:40:31 PM »
Ah, this thread is over 1000 posts now. I'll make a new one once a mod closes this one.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #1006 on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
Ah, this thread is over 1000 posts now. I'll make a new one once a mod closes this one.

Eek, I got the 1000th post too without noticing, do I get a cookie?

« Reply #1007 on: December 01, 2009, 11:29:31 PM »
The thing that bothers me about Touhou stages is that there's really not much going on in them. You just have a scrolling background and two or three types of enemies flying onto the screen in arbitrary formations and spewing bullets at you. I don't find that very interesting, but I can understand why they are the way they are. Still, I wish ZUN would try to give his stages a bit more life.

If it's only going at 10 fps then your computer might be underpowered for PS2 emulation or there might be a hardware bottleneck somewhere.

Eek, I got the 1000th post too without noticing, do I get a cookie?

You would have, but I took it. :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #1008 on: December 01, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
1k posts reached, locked.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."