Author Topic: Shooter games  (Read 172713 times)

Re: Shooter games
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »
So I've finally given in and have gotten possession of a number of different shmups. The one I'm most interested in is Dodonpachi though. Do my eyes deceive me when I see it say you get 4 lives? o_O I managed to almost reach the stage 4 boss before continuing, but then started having to continue left and right.

And is that slowdown also there in the original arcade system? Please say it's so, because damn it this computer is recent and shouldn't be slowing down like this. :(

Many arcade shooters have slowdown, so it's intentionally emulated. (People would bitch if it wasn't.)

As for the lives, they're limited. You start out with 3, and can get four more additional lives. You can get two at 6 million points and 20 million points. Two more lives can be obtained on stages 1-3 and 2-3. To get them, you have to destroy all six yellow boxes on the sides of the large red ship near the end of the stage. The extra life will then be hidden in the control deck near the middle-back end of the ship. See here. Pretty much need them all for Hibachi at the end of the second loop. :D

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2009, 07:48:55 AM »
After playing I'm a lot less enthusiastic about reaching Hibachi. ;>_> I'll give it a chance though, and ask for help: for all the aimed attacks that are...well, the latter half of the game, how do you consistently dodge through them?

Also, lack of death bombs makes this a lot more grating, being someone who relies on death bombs constantly.

EDIT: Eh...? Are you supposed to be able to access the second loop in Donpachi if you continue 9 times? That's just plain dirty, having enemies come from the bottom with no warning.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:01:51 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

moozooh

• Your grandfather
    • Touhou world record tracker
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 09:53:14 AM »
DonPachi is a bit weird like that… The difficulty ramps up on stage 4 and a lot of Toaplan-era bullshit comes up, like those planes from behind. There are no requirements for looping, either.

DoDonPachi is a lot more polished, and the requirements for looping have to be met.

Try Armed Police Batrider, btw.
<nintendonut888> Mountain of Faith, or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

Matsuri

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
DonPachi is a bit weird like that? The difficulty ramps up on stage 4 and a lot of Toaplan-era bullshit comes up, like those planes from behind. There are no requirements for looping, either.

DoDonPachi is a lot more polished, and the requirements for looping have to be met.

Try Armed Police Batrider, btw.

I gave him Batrider in the handful of games I supplied him with. :P

nintendonut888

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
Speaking of those requirements, does Cave have, like, security issues where they don't want people to see their game's true power? :V Those requirements are fucking ridiculous. It's my dream goal to someday reach Hibachi (or I guess Hachi), but those rules are just D:.

I did try a couple other of the games though. ESPsomething seemed a bit better...but still rather samey. Kikikaikai appears to be an amusing diversion (had to play it since it's HRtP's spiritual predecessor), and Raiden Jet Flames (did I get that right?) is hardly danmaku, but had a charm the others lacked.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
reading this made me consider creating/recording input files for Batrider/ESP Ra.De/Dodonpachi/Varth/Thunder Dragon 2/Strikers 1945 II/Twinkle Star Sprites , despite the fact I'm not.. especially good at these games (but liked them. I would do the same for Raiden Fighters Jet, but it's so easy to screw up in this game, and everytime I do, I have to reset+load state to bypass its boot sequence, it would be hard to make an input file for this game). All this, to help nintendonut get some interest in these lovely games (some of them, not exactly lovely), by seeing how others play them :D

But.. it will take a while.. (also, I must figure out a proper team for Batrider, and plan out how to use the characters across the stages)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Matsuri

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2009, 05:20:06 PM »
Speaking of those requirements, does Cave have, like, security issues where they don't want people to see their game's true power? :V Those requirements are fucking ridiculous. It's my dream goal to someday reach Hibachi (or I guess Hachi), but those rules are just D:.

I did try a couple other of the games though. ESPsomething seemed a bit better...but still rather samey. Kikikaikai appears to be an amusing diversion (had to play it since it's HRtP's spiritual predecessor), and Raiden Jet Flames (did I get that right?) is hardly danmaku, but had a charm the others lacked.

I didn't intend to give you all danmaku shmups. That's why I threw in ones like Raiden Fighters Jet and KikiKaiKai. While I personally find danmaku/bullet hell shmups to be more fun, manic shmups are fun too. Expand thy horizons.  ;)

And it's true that CAVE shmups do tend to have the same feeling to them, but that's because many of them were directed by the same guy, so they'll tend to have the similar samey-ness that one Touhou game has to another.

As for the DoDonPachi requirements, yeah I guess so. You could just work on fulfilling one requirement (that's all you need to get to the second loop, right moozooh?) like finding all of the bees in 4 of the stages or getting whatever hit chain. Like I said before, you're already weird in my eyes if you're playing DoDonPachi seriously for score. I'll leave stuff like that to the maniacs like PROMETHEUS at shmups forum. :P

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
Thanks Donut, your talk about DDP made me want to go play it again, and I got all the way to 1-6 before biting the dust.  I'd forgotten just how far bombspam can get you in this game.  I should really learn to score one of these days though.  I've seen videos where players reach my 1-6 score around, like, level 2. -_- 

Also, does anyone have some kind of picture outlining where the hitboxes of the individual ships are?  I'm using the helicopter, and I'm guessing it's probably that orange dot in the top part of the sprite, but I can't be sure.  I've been having some wonky clipdeaths in this game is all.

Matsuri

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure the hitboxes are in the center of the ships. They're pretty easy to see in the red ship and green heli because there's a definite spot in the middle of both that could be seen as such-- but on the blue ship it's a little harder to see-- I think it's right behind the pink stripe in the middle.

Don't quote me on any of that.

I'd forgotten just how far bombspam can get you in this game

Kinda like Mountain of Faith, which has a very similar scoring system to DoDonPachi as well, sans the ridiculous exponential MAXIMUM BOMB COLLECTION bullshit. :P

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
I can't explain where the hitbox is, I've just practiced until I could figure it (the 2nd stage boss is a good exercise, I think), at least with A-L.. (people say that A-Laser and C-Shot are the most used ships.. personally I don't think that the heli's side shots are strong enough or helpful/maneuverable enough, the non-focused shot of the A-L should be fine for taking out popcorn enemies)

I agree that bombs can take you far in the game, especially against the last two bosses. They should be used, especially if you don't have the maximum bombs bonus going on, or are on your last lives..
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Matsuri

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »
Which is better to use? A-S or A-L? I seem to do the best with A-S overall.

(And it's completely different for DOJ, where I definitely do better using B-Leinyan or B-Exy. That is, if you could even say 'do better' for DOJ, when I suck so horribly at it. :P)

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »
I use A-L both for score and survival, because personally I find it to be stronger against bosses.. while having a decent non-focused shot when fully powered. For scoring, A-L's focused shot starts up faster and travels faster upon startup. I've gotten to stage 5 once with C-S, and liked playing it through the stage, found it to be powerful on it, but had difficulties fighting bosses with it, not because of the damage (which seemed to be equal or better than A-L), but because of the ship speed.

Besides, Laser types can damage bosses through their missiles (one example being the first boss, after it loses its side turrets)

edit: forgot to mention another advantage of Laser types.. in stage 3, there are lots of enemies that spray arrow-shaped shots downwards. With A-L, for example, you can get behind them (like near the end of the stage, and before the 6 yellow side boxes that come before the 1-up item) and laser them from behind or the sides, provided that you're careful enough to not collide with them; the laser's hitbox is greater than your ship's (well, in fact, I had max power at that point), dunno if this can be done for the Shot types, though
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:34:53 PM by shadowbringer »
Translations.

Matsuri

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
That's true I suppose. I just prefer using A in general because C is too freaking slow. :P

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
I've been trying DonPachi a few times lately... I didn't really like it at first but it's growing on me. :V The dodging seems less interesting than Touhou but it's a lot more fast-paced and visceral so it's still fun. Having said that I still suck at it, haven't gotten past Stage 4 on my first continue yet, so yeah.
Let's fight.

Matsuri

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
I decided to give Battle Bakraid another try today, and broke my old high score, and almost made it to the last stage. I am pleased. :3

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
If you're just trying DoDonPachi out for the first time, it's going to take some getting used to. I've been there, and used Touhou as the basis of my initial impressions of it. Bad move. It's just different, but in a good way. I think it's worth sticking with (or at least using it as a foothold to discover other arcade shooters).

I decided to give Battle Bakraid another try today, and broke my old high score, and almost made it to the last stage. I am pleased. :3

Battle Bakraid is probably the only Eighting/Raizing game I enjoy playing for fun. I think it's scoring system is fucking retarded, though.  :V

LtC

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2009, 10:18:53 PM »
After playing I'm a lot less enthusiastic about reaching Hibachi. ;>_> I'll give it a chance though, and ask for help: for all the aimed attacks that are...well, the latter half of the game, how do you consistently dodge through them?
You redirect them, you have to move around very actively. It's the main difference between shooting games and dodging games. I suggest downloading K.O's superplays at http://www.super-play.co.uk (just continue to database search and look for DDP). Or alternatively watch PROMETHEUS's input or video. (And watch DDP DOJ superplay DVD sometime if you get a chance, I swear those guys aren't human)

If you're looking into reaching Hibachi you should give it some time and not to rush it. It's way harder than any touhou lunatic. Usually watching other people play make it look a lot easier than it is because really good players are pretty good at crowd control and don't let themselves get cornered.

Personally I've played it since last december giving it an hour or two average per week and I've been making steady progress, so far my best has been 2-5 (mid part) with 106M (Reaching loop2 around 80% of my runs that make past stage 1 (I die in stage 1 more than any of other loop1 stage for some reason)). Someday I'll reach that Hibachi (I hope). Although the scariest thing is that the game starts getting a lot harder since the later part of stage 2-4. I've tested fighting against Hibachi a couple times so far... holy crap, it was way way harder than anything else in the game = totally raped.

Screw A-L and C-S. C-L ftw

Also DonPachi sucks, you can play the US version and it refills your bombs after each stage. Becomes easy as hell, 1cc'd it after 4 runs.

ps. best mame for CAVE games is wolfmame .99. Also: play in TATE, once you start doing it you want to do it for every game  8)

AAAAND playing CAVE games for survival is damn boring, the scoring is what's best about CAVE games if you ask me. If you don't like the scoring then don't play the game

Matsuri

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
Really, DoDonPachi was my first shmup. I wasn't even that interested in the genre until I saw someone post something about Mushihimesama on a different forum, and I was all '...TEACH ME YOUR WAYS, MASTER'. Of course, you can't play Mushi on MAME, so he gave me a couple of CAVE shmups (DoDonPachi, ESP Ra.De., and Guwange) and told me to play those for a while. I wasn't that interested in those because I wanted to play the pretty patterns that Mushi had to offer.

Then I discovered Touhou, and that was what really made my interest in the genre explode, especially long enough that I could import a Japanese PS2 and a copy of the Mushihimesama port.

So when I started playing Touhou, I drooled a little from the prettiness, of course. Okay, a lot. But I had the opportunity to sidestep the Touhou Fan Curse as well because I had already been exposed to the more unforgiving, rough-around the edges shmups beforehand.

As for Battle Bakraid, its scoring system is no more retarded than any other Raizing/8ing game's system. At the very least, you don't have to commit suicide to survive. :P

AAAAND playing CAVE games for survival is damn boring, the scoring is what's best about CAVE games if you ask me. If you don't like the scoring then don't play the game

DoDonPachi's scoring is ridiculous. I'm sorry. It's the only CAVE series I refuse to play for score. I like the game itself though, so I'll play it when I damn well want to play it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:26:24 PM by Matsuri »

nintendonut888

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2009, 12:49:32 AM »
You know, it'd help if I knew ANYTHING about scoring. :V

And did I hear that correctly when someone said that you only need to do ONE of the requirements to second loop? What about TLB?

Matsuri

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2009, 01:29:11 AM »
You know, it'd help if I knew ANYTHING about scoring. :V

And did I hear that correctly when someone said that you only need to do ONE of the requirements to second loop? What about TLB?

That's why I kind of left that note in my post for moozooh to clear up. That's what I always thought it was, fulfill one of the requirements and the second loop is unlocked, but I'm not sure.

For DoDonPachi, scoring is based on how long and well you can memorize and chain waves and waves of popcorn enemies without bombing or dying. Your chaining score is enhanced by collecting bombs past maximum capacity-- so say you have a full stock and collect a bomb past that. You'll go into Maximum x2 mode, which adds a multiplier to your chain score. Keep collecting bombs past that to boost that multiplier further. Of course, if you bomb or die, that resets, and you can consider your scoring run fucked.

Think of Subterranean Animism. When you collect green stars, your base point item value rises by 100 for each one. Collecting a lot of those along with grazing a lot to boost the multiplier is the key to scoring well. Play through most of the game and die partway through. That base number resets to the difficulty's default number. That's sort of how it is in DoDonPachi, just on a much more whacked-out scale.

I don't know all of DoDonPachi's scoring mechanics past that much though, but I'm pretty sure moozooh does. :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:34:41 AM by Matsuri »

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2009, 01:35:10 AM »
yes, you heard it correctly: you must do at least one of these requirements, no need to try to do them all :D (heard from LtC that the 50 million points or the 270/300/330 hit chain is the less hardest, just a note, boss chains don't count for this criteria; I've seen that for myself once when I 1cced the first loop)

trying to explain a bit about scoring (at least some basic stuff):
- ESP Ra.De: when you use the secondary shot on enemies, there are attack splashes; finish that enemy with your primary shot, and the enemy will release point items; the more splashes on the screen when the enemy is killed (by your primary shot), the greater is the multiplier (up to 16x); the more resilient the enemies are, the longer these splashes last, meaning that it's easier to get multiplied points from them (said multiplier lasts for a while, as well; for example, there are certain yellow ships at the School stage, that consists of three parts; don't shoot them yet, perform a multiplier on a different enemy, then attack these yellow ships with your primary shot and they'll release multiplied point items)
- Armed Police Batrider: killing enemies with your Aura (the aura that forms in front of your ship when you don't fire for a couple seconds, not the shot while the Aura is active) or the Bomb often yields more points than if you killed them with your shot. The game has a medalling system, in which the next medal that's generated on the screen will be worth more than the former (100/200/300/400/500/1000/2000/3000/4000/5000/6000/7000/8000/9000/10000, I think..), but if you let one medal fall from the screen, the medal level is reset back to the 100-point one (however, letting one fall from the screen while there are other/others still give a chance for you to maintain your current medal value, if you grab the medals that are left on the screen. Due to this, it's important to plan out when to get ground-based medals, because they scroll way slower and can be used to fix such mistakes); certain stage triggers (example: destroying the house in the first stage and then the billboard, instead of the billboard first, destroying all of the triangle-shaped ships in the Sky High stage and having a Mahou Daisakusen character alive by the end of the same stage) or character selection will allow you to fight additional bosses, that can be milked for score
- Dodonpachi: performing chains, bullet-cancelling (stage 3 and 5 have enemies that clear the bullets on the screen when they're destroyed), having the Maximum Bomb bonus (it seems to add your current "max hit" x the current multiplier -- 1x, 2x, 3x.. I think that using a bomb and then collecting another and thus entering the Maximum Bomb bonus will give you 1x bonus, which is why people avoid using the first bomb on the first boss -- to your score, per each 1/60th of second); the minor scoring factors are the bees (they increase in value as they're collected without dying, but their value is reset across stages, unless you've collected all of them in the same stage, in this case, their value will be one level higher in the next stage), and the stars (they're lost if you lose a life, and their amount is reset across stages, unless you're using the P2 ship). The P1 ship has the advantage of being able to increase its Boss Chain counter by using the focused bomb, but the P2 ship is said to be "for the people who don't die", due to the already mentioned benefit of the stars' amount not being reset across stages
Translations.

nintendonut888

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
I made it to stage 5 of Dodonpachi without continuing! Granted it was with no lives or bombs but whatever. :V

50 million points...is way beyond me. By the time I continued I had about 12 million.

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2009, 01:56:59 AM »
congratulations, donut :D
You don't have to rush yourself for the second loop, concentrate on 1ccing the first loop first, then try to improve, reach the second loop, and then Hibachi..
Translations.

nintendonut888

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2009, 02:01:37 AM »
All I really want is to have the commander say SOMETHING other than "nice try kid." :( BTW, you guys said the slowdown in the emulator was done on purpose to emulate the arcade experience? I've already had at least one death because it slowed down suddenly and I didn't know I wouldn't get out of the way in time.

And Donpachi would actually be kinda fun if it weren't for the fact that ENEMIES COME FROM THE FUCKING BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN. At least when ZUN did it in Lotus Land Story he clearly marked where the enemies were about to come from. If there's no requirements to second loop or even face Hibachi though I'll probably continue spam through it all.

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2009, 02:08:08 AM »
I dunno about the slowdown on emulators.. can't help here, sorry..

Perhaps you might want to check out Raiden Fighters Jet as well, it also evaluates your performance through the Simulation Missions (up to five levels) and if you do well on them (which is clearly not as hard as reaching DDP's second loop), you're sent to the "Real Battle" against terrorists :D
Translations.

nintendonut888

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2009, 02:51:30 AM »
I did in fact spend some time with it. I...don't think it's my style. The bullets are tiny and are easily mistaken with the background, not to mention fast. Also WTF there's like 15 ships how are you supposed to choose or even know what each one does except by trial and error? I went all the way through until it sent me back to level 1, which I took as an insult.

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2009, 02:58:59 AM »
Might want to give something by Psikyo a go sometime as well. Gunbird 2 is my personal favorite from them, but Dragon Blaze is pretty good too.

Matsuri

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2009, 03:02:49 AM »
I did in fact spend some time with it. I...don't think it's my style. The bullets are tiny and are easily mistaken with the background, not to mention fast. Also WTF there's like 15 ships how are you supposed to choose or even know what each one does except by trial and error? I went all the way through until it sent me back to level 1, which I took as an insult.

Don't you mean 'Real Battle 1'? That's pretty close to the end of the game :V

Might want to give something by Psikyo a go sometime as well. Gunbird 2 is my personal favorite from them, but Dragon Blaze is pretty good too.

I gave him Gunbird 2 and Strikers 1945 III/Strikers 1999, my favorite Psikyo games. :D

nintendonut888

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2009, 03:27:07 AM »
It said "this was pretty difficult for you" and sent me back to level 01. It did the same when I was on level 40 and then went to 35, so I thought it was a "lol u" thing. >_>

Just tried GunbIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEird 2. It's a shame, really, because thIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe game seems pretty engaging and fun. However, the laIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEck of focus not to mention the output LaIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEg (or whatever you call it when the game takes a while to register when you press something) makes the game unplayaIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEble.

It's quite sad that Dodonpachi is seemingly the best of all the ones I've been given, because I was hoping for better. :(

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »
Gawd DDP stage 3 is a clipdeath NIGHTMARE.  If I die to that stupid bullet canceling section one more time so help me... (btw, anyone have any tips for that there bullet canceling section?  :V)

Also, I agree that MAME does seem to have some really noticeable input/output/whatever lag.  It's not as bad as, say, pre-patch PCB, but it's still kinda annoying.  Anyone here know of some way to make it better?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:03:16 AM by Azinth »