Author Topic: Pocket Monsters X/Y Thread II - (STILL NO) Pokebank Pokebank Pokebank  (Read 143151 times)

Bio

• resident walker
It's been a week so feel free to be a bit more open about pre-post game stuff.

This is the Pokemon X and Y general thread, where we talk about the game and the meta of it, while actually playing it. The announcement thread has almost reached the posting cap, so it would be best to start our discussion afresh in a new one.

Friend Codes
Post your preferred name, friend code and game version and I'll add it to the table below.
Name                      Friend Code           VersionIGN         
Bio1134-7894-2606XNoire
Suikama4425-1491-5645Y
Trance3883-5561-7702XSerika
Chaore4570-7511-6543YPuream
Keegster21418-7215-7869Y
Matsuri3067-4906-0948X
Nobu4270-0718-2053XNobuko/Himeko
Xan3222-5806-1297X
commandercool2964-8587-9806YBlue
Raikaria0834-1782-2667YElly
Red Frost0388-0205-2932YCecilia
Skye3738-0956-7708YKeila
Phlegeth3282-2913-0504YPhlegeth
BSoD2895-7562-2562Y
Edible4227-0814-4208X
Molten3265-5274-1401Y
Savory0387-9578-4918X
sol355284-1917-5071XEienko
Esifex5429-7181-7829YErik
Bardiche3926-5588-0324?
Pasu1950-7975-8774X
capt. h1435-3539-1313Y
Shadou0490-5728-2527X
Dibble3282-2247-4077Y
Genso4038-6283-8806Y
Mister Sanity4425-2614-3093X
T-A-C2165-5266-6153X
Zork7870748-2156-8970X
Alchemist5429-6759-3085X
Catherpie3024-5730-0545Y
Minch2423-2597-4752X
Polaris2251-5199-2177XXavier
Bound3136-6552-0029X
Patorikku2449-4726-9834XNate Varner
Fast Fanatic2578-3937-3854Y
Alex1392-5223-9479XMaribel
Yaersulf5343-9023-2973Y
Kwr323480-3530-4357X
triangles1676-5051-9468?
JT1392-4443-0026?
FamilyTeam3668-8814-5063YTeam
Nick G0662-3160-6397?Nicktendonick
EyeM3282-3148-5064XCirnobyl
SirBlueberry1418-7034-4502YIF
Adol Christin3153-4846-2473XAlex
Jana0946-3424-2598XJana
Endless Hunger1822-0626-7569?
Yookie1822-0710-3636?

Vivillon Trading
If you don't already know, Vivillon's pattern in the game is dependent on the 3DS's country, with there being a few many patterns for each country in the world. One single pattern is selected out of the possible pool when you first load the game, so to get the others in your pool, and other ones not in your pool, there's only one thing to do; trade.
And what better way to do it than with an international community!

Mega Stone/ Version Exclusives Trading
Some Mega Stones are unique to one version, and as usual there are version exclusives. Most notably, the Larvitar and Aron lines are unique to version, while their Mega Stone can only be found in the other version. Another excellent marketing ploy by Game Freak.

Steps for Breeding Perfect Pokemon
Firstly, a good supply of Dittos is never a bad thing. Catch multiple in different natures and then use the Stat Checker in the Kiloude City Pokemon Center to see if they have perfect IVs. I usually them nickname them with the IV they have 31 of. Now you can go catch the Pokemon you want anywhere in the wild, though the Friend Safari guarantees a few max IVs and also the Hidden ability if that is required.
Pokemon abilities have a 80% chance to be inherited from the female, and when breeding in the same egg group, the offspring species' will be of the mother. Hidden abilities will now also be able to be passed down regardless of the gender of the parent having the ability when bred with a Ditto, but females will still only be able to pass them down when bred normally.
Everstones can be used to transfer the nature of any of the parents to the child and Power items (such as the Power Anklet) can be used to transfer that particular IV from the parent down to the child. New in generation VI is that the Destiny Knot makes it so that 5 IVs are chosen to be inherited to the child (though this does not stop Speed from being chosen all 5 times) making it much easier to pass multiple perfect IVs down.
The easiest way to go about is by giving a Everstone to an appropriate natured Ditto with max IVs in the stats you want and then giving a Destiny Knot to the other Pokemon, which you should have calculated the IVs off. Whenever you breed an offspring with better IVs switch it for the one currently in the Daycare. Once you have a couple of superior-outstanding Pokemon, you can simply just replace the Ditto if one of them is better than the Ditto.
Of course you do not need the Everstone and instead may choose to use a Power item to transfer a specific IV over, speeding up the total process in achieving 31 across the board, but I prefer using an Everstone so that I don't need to play the RNG again to get the appropriate nature.
If you have a perfect Pokemon in another egg group, then you simply have to breed this perfection across to Pokemon in another egg group and bridge the gap between the perfect Pokemon and the one you want.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:54:07 AM by Bio »

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
Re: Pocket Monsters X/Y Thread II - Breeding Forevermore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:37:20 AM »
May I please sit at the table, good sir?

IGN - Nate Varner
FC - 2449-4726-9834
Version - X
Safari - Pidgey, Tranquill, Tropius
Vivillon - Polar

So alright, I'm not a big man on competitive Pogeymans gameplay -- unless it's the card game, in which I play a mean Psy/Dark deck -- so I wanna know what's a general rule for setting up a team. For example, should I have a mix of each general role, IE. one physical and one special powerhouse, a tank, etc., etc.; or should I aim to just throw together several Pokemon that just click with me?

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:02:47 AM »
team building
The only real rules are having a good blend of things that hit both physically and specially. Having good team synergy and not having everything weak to one type.
The tactics to do with maintaining a switch advantage with pivots and walling threats aren't really that important. Just pick Pokemon you like and see what other Pokemon blend well and give them movesets which suit their stats/ability and can cover most types.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 04:04:54 AM »
May I please sit at the table, good sir?

IGN - Nate Varner
FC - 2449-4726-9834
Version - X
Safari - Pidgey, Tranquill, Tropius
Vivillon - Polar

So alright, I'm not a big man on competitive Pogeymans gameplay -- unless it's the card game, in which I play a mean Psy/Dark deck -- so I wanna know what's a general rule for setting up a team. For example, should I have a mix of each general role, IE. one physical and one special powerhouse, a tank, etc., etc.; or should I aim to just throw together several Pokemon that just click with me?

Note: This is just how I build teams, and I'm not great at this game. I'm not terrible, and part of my problem is that I'm usually only having fun if my team has a dumb gimmick, so take this under advisement. At any rate, as far as I know this advice isn't going to hurt you, it just might not be fully complete.

You should probably have 2-3 defensive Pokemon that cover each-other's weaknesses (probably 3-one physical, one special, one mixed) and something that can revenge kill the things that you need to be able to revenge kill (usually something Scarfed, and/or a strong priority user). Your team should be able to handle Baton Pass in some way (usually Roar or Whirlwind). Make sure you don't have too many things that share a weakness, particularly if it's to a common attacking type (Rock, Ice, Electric, and Fighting are probably the biggest ones to watch out for). Fill in the remaining slots in your team with synergistic attackers, play a bunch, and figure out what's working and what isn't and make changes accordingly.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I should clarify that "defensive" does not have to mean "invincible" and generally shouldn't mean "offensively worthless". Ideally you want bulky Pokemon that can still leave a mark on the things that they're supposed to switch into. Scald is great for this, since it has decent enough power to sting and can totally cripple things if (when) you get the burn. Don't be so focused on making things able to take hits that they can't handle the threats they're supposed to take once you bring them in. Resistances are as important as stats if not more so for this. And maybe this is just the gimmick-lover in me talking, but try not to be predictable with your defensive Pokemon or they can become setup bait. If you've got something that's a magnet for U-Turns or Volt Switches, pack Counter or Mirror Coat and ruin someone's day. :3
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:14:58 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:10:33 AM »
Why does minimize raise evasion by two stages? I couldn't land a single Earthquake on that Blissey. How the fuck does an earthquake miss?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:16:15 AM »
Why does minimize raise evasion by two stages?

Trolling from Game Freak.

I couldn't land a single Earthquake on that Blissey.

:(

How the fuck does an earthquake miss?

Tiny Pokemon have greater structural integrity I guess?  :wat:

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »
So is the whole chain fishing thing real or am I wasting my time?

I want a shiny Staryu/Horsea/Clamperl :O

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:19:05 AM »
How the fuck does an earthquake miss?
It jumps.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
Several people in Smogon, Serebii, and GameFAQs have mentioned they have gotten several shinies that way in a single day. I also haven't gotten anything.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »
So is the whole chain fishing thing real or am I wasting my time?

I want a shiny Staryu/Horsea/Clamperl :O

Well, chain fishing certainly isn't fake, because there's a dude in the Fishing area which has a chain record.

I dunno how it affects the odds of encountering a shiny though

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:24:47 AM »
Trust Stone Edge to miss when it counts.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 06:33:42 AM »
Trust Stone Edge to miss when it counts.

god-like wisdom right here

Well, chain fishing certainly isn't fake, because there's a dude in the Fishing area which has a chain record.

I dunno how it affects the odds of encountering a shiny though

I'm guessing it's something similar to how pokeradar chaining (much easier in my opinion) works and just increases your chances of finding a shiny. That is if it's actually true and not some coincidence.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »
Since there was some Stored Power discussion on the last thread, I wanted to know if running Swoobat with Simple and Calm Mind would be a bad idea. It looks like it could work against specially offensive mons, but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the competitive side of the games, so  :derp:

By the way, does anyone know if evasion factors into Stored Power? Because Clefable could be seriously annoying with Minimize+Cosmic Power, if you're willing to be that much of a jerk.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
By the way, does anyone know if evasion factors into Stored Power? Because Clefable could be seriously annoying with Minimize+Cosmic Power, if you're willing to be that much of a jerk.

yes it includes evasion and accuracy

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »
In response to Edible saying Stored Power is Fairy on Mega Gardevoir in the last topic, Pixilate only makes NORMAL TYPE moves Fairy, so Stored Power will remain Psychic Type and therefore Darl types will retain there immunity of the move.

on the plus side, Fairy Type Hyper Beam is fuuuuuuuuuuuuun :>
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
In response to Edible saying Stored Power is Fairy on Mega Gardevoir in the last topic, Pixilate only makes NORMAL TYPE moves Fairy, so Stored Power will remain Psychic Type and therefore Darl types will retain there immunity of the move.

the bigger deal is Fairy-type Hyper Voice which bypasses substitutes, but that won't come out until PokeBank is released

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:15:15 AM »
the bigger deal is Fairy-type Hyper Voice which bypasses substitutes, but that won't come out until PokeBank is released
Also the fact that it has quad-resistance to Fighting, an admirable speed (though I'm not sure if the extra speed comes into play that evolving turn) with a massive Sp. Atk stat behind it. It also has to really on Focus Blast for coverage which isn't that reliable.
It's not really fast enough to be a sweeper, and slapping a scarf on isn't an option anymore.
And then Mega-Gengar is a real problem (well it would be if it wasn't blatantly obvious it wouldn't be allowed in standard OU play). It could run an excellent Calm Mind set however, or run Will-o-Wisp.
It's biggest problem would be that other Megas can probably out-do it in terms of general usefulness.
Since there was some Stored Power discussion on the last thread, I wanted to know if running Swoobat with Simple and Calm Mind would be a bad idea. It looks like it could work against specially offensive mons, but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the competitive side of the games, so  :derp:
Yes, if it can set up, but then a bunch of other things could use that turn to set up too and probably out perform it in terms of taking a hit. It's really fast though, I'll give you that.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
It's biggest problem would be that other Megas can probably out-do it in terms of general usefulness.

did you forget about Scizor Bullet Punching Gardevoir in the face?

Because you know, Gardevoir has a shiny Steel weakness now

e: Also, no, the additional speed is not factored on the same turn as mega evolution
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:36:17 AM by Sita` »

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »
did you forget about Scizor Bullet Punching Gardevoir in the face?

Because you know, Gardevoir has a shiny Steel weakness now
Hm? No, I did say Scizor's place in OU was cemented with Technician Bullet Punch in the previous thread, it basically just goes from Pursuit trapping to Bullet Punch OHKOing.
e: Nvm I understand
A Banded Bullet Punch has a 68.75% to OHKO after rocks however with no defensive investment.
Now that I think about it, 252 Def/ 4 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed isn't that bad of a set, running defensively will probably be the easiest and then just jumping in on banded Close Combats or something.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:50:21 AM by Bio »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
Something something something I'm almost at the E4 now <_<

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »
e: Nvm I understand
A Banded Bullet Punch has a 68.75% to OHKO after rocks however with no defensive investment.

That calc somehow seems off; Gardevoir (and its mega form) only has 68 HP and 65 DEF, though?

Something something something I'm almost at the E4 now <_<

hopefully your 3rd safari mon isn't a trashmon `-`/

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
That calc somehow seems off; Gardevoir (and its mega form) only has 68 HP and 65 DEF, though?
Well then I guess it's a guaranteed OHKO, and it won't even survive with defensive investment that way :/

If only Shadow Tag Chandelure was a thing, then Gardevoir wouldn't have to worry about a thing bar Shadow Sneak.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:10:19 AM by Bio »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Now my question is, what is Entei doing with Sacred Fire?

GG2G-WWWW-WWWX-PQ2F insert this code into your Vs. Recorder, to watch

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »

Silly Entei, that's Ho-oh's signature move :V also dat Endeavour Arron lol
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
So there I am, training my Zubat on Route 11, when I get a horde of Nidoran.  I love Nidoran, but I don't have False Swipe or a Synchro-Ralts for a good nature, so I don't bother with catching.  Most of the males go down in 1~2 Aerial Aces, but not the female.  I like running DW Nidoqueen with Special Attacks, so I figure I'll just end the battle with one more Aerial Ace.
But the camera zooms in.
And I can't do it.

Ability: Hustle
Nature: Modest

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »

Yeah, my bad.  I thought Stored Power was Normal for some reason. ;_;

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »

Maybe it's movepool got a buff?

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
Aw man, Snorunt in 3D. I don't even know what Snorunt is, but I know it's fucking adorable.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:36 PM »
So, I got Pokemon Y at launch from Nintendo World itself and I completely neglected to actually post my friend code here. I still have no idea what pokes I have in my Safari Zone, so let's hope.
2578-3937-3854
Also, having finally getting a perfect IV streak in Bulbasaur, I realized that I can't yet pass its delicious genetics to a Snover yet because it's a female. Is there any hope for a Hail team this generation around? Mega Abomasnow looks cool and I'd like to use it.