Author Topic: My fave game genre seems dead. TBS, any advice?  (Read 13439 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
My fave game genre seems dead. TBS, any advice?
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:13:36 AM »
Seems like it's been forever since they made a good TBS game that doesn't have the name "sid meiner' on it...who I'm not as big a fan of as any TBS fan would assume.

Advance wars aside, any relatively new TBS games people might suggest to me? I've tried galciv, but for some reason I just can't get into it. Just feels like a crappier version of master of orion to me, I keep saying I'll give it another go but generally when I do that I'm dissapointed (to this day I've never liked a game after slogging thru it despite not liking it for more than a day or two initially).

My favorites include:
age of wonders... al 3
Master of orion 1 and 2.. 3..umm.. 3 is kinda I don't know lol. I sorta enjoy it kinda.. but I still can't figure out the combat (it never works like it says its supposed to for me), and sometimes I think I'm doing something right, when many turns later it slaps me right in the face saying I'm doing it wrong.. sigh. gamespot says that game has a 1-2 hour learning curve *BULL*.. seriously, hardest game to figure out *EVER*.

homm 1-4.. yeah 4 is different, it's terrible in some ways (especially the graphics imo), but if you pretend it wasn't titled "homm", you can appreciate it for a good game imo... 5 is.. well. They tried to make it in between homm 3 and 4, and managed to capture the worse elements of both. Let's take homm 3, ok, now lets add less races, less units, less spells, less EVERYTHING, like homm 4. great. Ok now let's refuse to add simultanious turns like of age of wonders, and settle for some stupid ghost phase that is for multiplayer only which takes a total of 5 seconds of your time and still results in you sitting around with your thumbs twiddling the whole time it's not your turn. Brilliant. Now people complained bout how heroes work in homm 4, so let's go back to old style heroes, only nerf them so hard that you almost as well just get rid of them altogether, all right.

yeah.. very dissapointed with homm5 >=P.

Warlords (warlords battlecry is a very cool rts too btw.. 3 was as big a letdown to 2 as homm 5 was imo though).

pleaaase, I'm desperate for a good tbs game.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: My fave game genre seems dead. TBS, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
Isn't Sword of the Stars a TBS?  I haven't played it, but I know TSO (among others) sings its praises.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:13 AM »
never heard of it even though it's not very new. thanks a bunch, I'll be sure to give it a try once I get in the mood to play something other than touhou >=p.

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56:07 PM »
Knights in the nightmare is kinda sorta a strategy rpg. I'm definitley interested in it.

I also love TBS and any posts to this thred would be greatly appreciated by me too. ;)
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »
Knights in the nightmare is kinda sorta a strategy rpg. I'm definitley interested in it.
KitN is literally impossible to play, have fun

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
I'm just wondering if SRPGs would fit into this...

'Cause if they do, get Disgaea.  I shouldn't need to justify why.  Just get it, and thank me later.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:27 PM »
I'm just wondering if SRPGs would fit into this...

'Cause if they do, get Disgaea.  I shouldn't need to justify why.  Just get it, and thank me later.

No that doesn't count. and I already have all 3.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm getting my acronyms mixed up, but this topic needs a mention of Fire Emblem if AW was brought up.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm getting my acronyms mixed up, but this topic needs a mention of Fire Emblem if AW was brought up.

that's not exactly new either. But you're very right, I should try it. I keep telling myself I will some time or another, but I never get around to it. It's not like I don't want to either. It's just like I keep forgetting when I have time to try a new game. blah.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
By "Fire Emblem" I don't just mean the game released in 2003.  Seriously.  FE7, FE9, and FE10 will deliver.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
By "Fire Emblem" I don't just mean the game released in 2003.  Seriously.  FE7, FE9, and FE10 will deliver.

yeah I'd try a newer one first anyway... wasn't the original released back in NES days though?

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
Not in America. <_<
(just like Nintendo Wars - we didn't get one till Advance Wars, but they were around since Famicom Wars)

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
Actually, the original Fire Emblem was just rereleased (with numerous improvements in game design) for the DS.  But most people agree that FE7 (the first one released in America) was the best one, but FE9 and FE10 are worth your time too.

Nintendo Wars, I'm told, was also much improved by the transition to the GBA.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »
While I appreciate all the input, and I like "small" console strategy games like AW.. I am hoping for something larger in scale like civilization or master of orion, or homm.. That sword of the stars looks like a very likely possibility, though I honestly feel like I should try fire emblem.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 12:52:38 AM »
Sword of the fucking Stars.  Probably one of the best 4x games out there.  It's not really "turn" based as much as it's turn based strategy with real time combat.  Basically at the end of each turn, if there's any of your ships in an area with a hostile fleet or planet, then you can choose to either waive combat or fight.  Colonizing, research, fleet movements, that's all turn based, but the combat itself comes at the end of each turn.

When you actually fight it's like a simplified version of Homeworld, where you get 2-3 minutes (depending on how long you set it) to slug it out with either the enemy fleets in the area, or with the planet itself.

Even if you're not particularly interested in RTS combat, give it a shot.  It's a fantastic game and has easily sucked weeks out of my life playing it.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 02:19:41 AM »
Super Robot Wars.

Super Robot Wars 3 for the SNES just got a translation patch made for it and Original Generation 1 and 2 were actually released in America. The OGs don't have MAZINGER Z or GETTA ROBO or GUNDAMS though.

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Namco X Capcom was interesting.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 10:45:34 AM »

Knights in the Nightmare fucking rocks play it

I finished it three times

Actually, the original Fire Emblem was just rereleased (with numerous improvements in game design) for the DS.  But most people agree that FE7 (the first one released in America) was the best one, but FE9 and FE10 are worth your time too.

Huh?????

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »
Huh?????
Most balanced (there were fewest characters that were unredeemably bad and/or had virtually no playtime), had a slightly better obnoxious Endgame chapter that doesn't let you take anyone you like in, had Hector and Canas in it, etc.

As I said before, though, FE9 comes close IMO.

Elixir

• I am an insufferable jerk.
    • タンブルウィード
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »
I played Knights in the Nightmare tonight. What a disappointment. The game is visually stunning, and it's really fine tuned. I can tell that a lot of effort has gone into the art direction, cast, and purpose of the game. Except the battle system is overly complicated for no reason.

I mean seriously, this is ridiculous. The bullet hell appeal is neat, but unnecessary, That's not the problem I have with it though: the whole "oh you need to know what x weapons can be attached to x character in order to hit y enemy with y spell providing that y enemy is weak against y spell" thing is confusing. And I'm one of these types that would prefer to use the dpad controls over touchscreen controls if possible, but it's ruled out here.

Granted, I didn't read the entire tutorial (which would have taken an hour) but man. I feel dumb just playing this game.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
wow that sounds cool, I like really complicated games >=P.

But then again, I also know how you feel, it's how I felt for MOO 3. But then again, I tried to micro absolutely everything instead of letting the AI play portions for me, like you're supposed to do. But still I'm patient and was willing to spend mega-time between turns. Also the stupid AI would undo alot of what I did without telling me so often, despite me hitting the "AI OFF" button multiple times with large heavy devices in frusteration after it became apparent it wasn't working properly.

I tell myself the AI made me suck at that game, but to be honest I'll never really know.. I'd be willing to play it more even if I sucked anyway, but the combat system just failed to listen to me completely, very annoying.

Elixir

• タンブルウィード
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
I like complicated games too but I want to actually play games, not spend an hour going through 30+ tutorials on how to play them.

Aaaaaaand SRW is not an RTS, guys.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »
I played Knights in the Nightmare tonight.
I feel dumb just playing this game.
Moogy warned you.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
Most balanced (there were fewest characters that were unredeemably bad and/or had virtually no playtime), had a slightly better obnoxious Endgame chapter that doesn't let you take anyone you like in, had Hector and Canas in it, etc.

As I said before, though, FE9 comes close IMO.

Have you... played any of the ones that didn't come out in the US? FE4, FE5, and FE6 are all amazing games as well. That's not to say that FE7 isn't good, but there are enough people that think otherwise for you to be at fault claiming that most people think 7 is the best. ^^;

And I asked for Knights in the Nightmare for my birthday(which is today). If you guys feel dumb playing this game, then I'll probably feel retarded. I still haven't gotten halfway through Rondo of Swords...

Umm, if you're interested, there's this open-source turn-based strategy game called Battle for Wesnoth, that uses all medieval/fantasy-type characters. Best of all, it has online play. I played it for about a week, but after the group of friends I was playing with kinda fell apart I lost it.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
Oh, how'd I forget about Wesnoth? Being a fan of open-source stuff I should've remembered that one.

Elixir

• タンブルウィード
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »
Moogy warned you.

He hasn't even played the game. I like to reserve judgment until I actually play stuff. Some games I've played for 15+ hours and come to the conclusion that I dislike them, but only after analyzing every fucking single tiny bit of the game.

The DS has a legacy of bad RPGs, though.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »
Have you... played any of the ones that didn't come out in the US? FE4, FE5, and FE6 are all amazing games as well. That's not to say that FE7 isn't good, but there are enough people that think otherwise for you to be at fault claiming that most people think 7 is the best. ^^;
I have some doubt that the emulator crowd makes up most of the FE-playing population.
I've heard good things about FE4, less about FE5, and from the perspective of game design FE6 is inferior to FE7.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 02:09:50 AM »
Typical titles: try Ring of Red, Nectaris, Nintendo Wars, or a Daisenryaku.
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Herasy

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 01:50:51 PM »
I will admit Knights in the Nightmare is pretty complicated, but once you really get into the game all the rules grow on you, I am about half way (I think) through the game myself and I am enjoying it quite alot.

All you really need to know is what classes you have on you, what your enemy is weak to (currently) and just chuck on 4 weapons that suit the classes you have, after that you can just spam the weapons till you win.

Although the game is starting to get a bit repetitive, needs more bosses and less kill the random monsters in town stages.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
bleh. One thing I hate about the current trend of strategy/rpg games is the overabundance of "enemy weaknesses" to exploit. I remember when rpgs often had mobs or bosses that didn't really have a weakness very often. Nowdays everything is slowly turning into a giant game of rocks paper scissors so your "strategy" is often a no brainer.