Author Topic: Which game has the WORST music?  (Read 49786 times)

Re: Which game has the WORST music?
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
Actually rereading it I just jumped because I saw SA Stage 2, PCB Stage 5, and SA Extra and a handful of not-worsts.

I still think answers to the question would be interesting though.

A lot of that list was "wellll, nothing in this category is really bad, so I'll go with the weakest one." For example, I don't think Last Remote is a bad song, but I find it very dull. Same for Bridge People No Longer Cross. The only songs on there that I really, really hate are Candid Friend, Border of Life, and Ancient Temple.

Ehhhh...I don't know what I really "look for" in BGMs, since I'm not hugely into music. Whatever's fun to play to, I guess.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
*cough*Ancient Temple is the only good one, and only when remixed*cough*
I'm sick of that loop after midboss!Nazrin.
Which game features Ancient Temple and Nazrin again?

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2010, 05:18:07 AM »
It never occurred to me that so many people hate PCB Stage 5. Why is this?

List without usage of PC-98 (aside from PoDD):
Stage 1: IN
Stage 1 Boss: IN
Stage 2: IN
Stage 2 Boss: IN (I don't hate IN music, I swear.)
Stage 3: MoF
Stage 3 Boss: SA
Stage 4: IN (None of the Stage 4 themes are actually bad, though.)
Stage 4 Boss: EoSD
Stage 5: MoF
Stage 5 Boss: SA
Stage 6: UFO
Stage 6 Boss: EoSD (I like all of them, but hurrr)
Extra Stage!!: IN
Extra Boss!!: UFO
PoDD: Rikako's Theme
PoFV: Reimu's Theme
IaMP: The Maid and the Pocket Watch Remix
SWR: The Doll Maker of whatever Remix. Screw you, Tasofro. You ruined a good song.
Soku: Beloved Tomboyish Girl, because they didn't make Cirno's theme be a remix of Lunate Elf to troll everybody. But whatever, soku doesn't really have any bad songs that weren't taken from SWR.

I never realized how unmemorable IN's music was before :x It's not bad but it just doesn't stand out.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2010, 09:09:28 AM »
Only Windows ver. because I don't know PC-98 Games well.

Title Screen: PoFV
ST1: IN (It doesn't really bother me in-game but I just don't like)
ST1B: EoSD
ST2: UFO
ST2B: PCB (Sleep Inducing and it makes the stage a joke)
ST3: IN (It's only good part is the first 15 sec and the rest is just history)
STB3: MoF (I really laugh at this being a boss song. Its a great song but not a good choice for a boss song.)
ST4: IN
STB4: PCB
ST5: SA (sleep inducing)
STB5: MoF
ST6: SA
STB6: EoSD (It gets boring after a while and then annoying)
EX: SA
EXB: PCB Necro-Fantasy (It only sounds better in about 3/4 of the song.)
StB: Wind God Girl (The Trumpets are really annoying in this particular song)
Fighting: UNL-Cirno's theme

That's all I have down. EoSD is my first game in touhou but please, it's soundtrack needs some efficient work.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »
I'm only choosing from 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12. I'm hoping this will be somewhat fair, since I made a list for each one and I'm showing the bottom two. A lot of these are really close.

Title: EoSD, but it's close. It's not particularly bad, but I can't say it's better than any other. (Second: IN)
Stage 1: IN. (Second: UFO)
Boss 1: PCB. It's otherwise not that bad (none are, in my opinion), but from 0:23 to 0:36 there's something that sounds like terrible compression artifacts (even though it's probably not) that I find uncomfortable to listen to. (Second: UFO)
Stage 2: EoSD. (Second: UFO)
Boss 2: EoSD. (Second: UFO)
Stage 3: UFO. (Second: EoSD)
Boss 3: UFO. (Second: EoSD)
Stage 4: EoSD. (Second: IN)
Boss 4: IN Marisa. (Second: MoF). I actually quite like all of the 4th boss themes, but these ones ended up on the bottom of my list.
Stage 5: EoSD. (Second: IN)
Boss 5: EoSD. (Second: IN)
Stage 6: UFO. Boring. (Second: PCB)
Boss 6: EoSD. (Second: UFO). Again, I like every final boss theme, but these two I like just a bit less than the rest.
Ex Stage: UFO. (Second: EoSD)
Ex Boss: EoSD. Why is this one so popular? (Second: PCB Ran)
Ending: UFO. I could fall asleep on this one. (Second: SA)
Credits: EoSD. (Second: UFO)

Overall, of these 6, I'd say EoSD has the worst music, followed very closely by UFO. Also, all of the music in EoSD sounds extremely flat (in pitch) so that doesn't help.

I didn't find most of the StB or DS music very memorable (although there were a couple of nice ones). I don't like the DS version of Aya's MoF theme. (The original was much better.)

I didn't count PoFV in this list, but it's probably down there with UFO overall (although it had a couple good ones). I'm not familiar enough with it to say which ones from it are the worst, though.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:57:41 AM by Nereid »

Formless God

« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
Which game features Ancient Temple and Nazrin again?

I was replying to Van Helion's post, which uh, disappeared soon afterwards for some reason.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »
I was replying to Van Helion's post, which uh, disappeared soon afterwards for some reason.
My post talked about Rural Makai City Esoteria being a good stage 5 theme, countering someone who said that there are none, and I removed it because it sounded far too polemic. Sorry about that.

Zondac

• Marketing Manager
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »
Why do everyone hate Flandre's theme that much? Seriously, I think it's a good theme overall, and I find Mokou's theme ALOT worse!
Either there's something I haven't been told, or you guys just really hate Ran ran ru to the point where you don't even like the song it's based on, and if that's the case then you're really childish.. But enough of that, HAVE AT YOU.

No seriously, U.N. Owen was her was a great theme, but if you don't like it I guess it's understandable..
I suck at PCB.... ;_;

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
Why do everyone hate Flandre's theme that much?
Sounds creakier and screechier than all the other songs in the game with EoSD's bad instrumentation, isn't particularly exciting as much as it is brute-force, is underdone by ZUN standards, and everyone else seems to love it for all the wrong reasons.

--

Just realized a while ago that everyone's pick for Stage 5 Boss is wrong.  Everyone should have picked Concealed the Conclusion.

To answer your next question, I find RoHL's music kind of amusing.

Bananamatic

« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »
To answer your next question, I find RoHL's music kind of amusing.
Periphery of Power's EX theme has nothing you could possibly dislike as well.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
What is the PoP music like? Touhou remixes [that are stolen?] or unrelated songs [that may be stolen?]?
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
What is the PoP music like? Touhou remixes [that are stolen?] or unrelated songs [that may be stolen?]?
Unrelated songs [that were stolen].  From what I remember, the [contraband] soundtrack was considered the best thing about the "game".

IIRC PoP's extra theme was a remix of Meiling's theme and was actually fairly good.

Bananamatic

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
Why do everyone hate Flandre's theme that much? Seriously, I think it's a good theme overall, and I find Mokou's theme ALOT worse!
Either there's something I haven't been told, or you guys just really hate Ran ran ru to the point where you don't even like the song it's based on, and if that's the case then you're really childish.. But enough of that, HAVE AT YOU.

No seriously, U.N. Owen was her was a great theme, but if you don't like it I guess it's understandable..
There's nothing particularly interesting about it and it's overrated as hell. 

Zondac

• Marketing Manager
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
There's nothing particularly interesting about it and it's overrated as hell. 

Why yes, there is something interesting about it, let's start with the intro, shall we?
The intro really is like a completly different song, and start of being hectic right of the bat (As in, the song is hard in Audiosurf), something that isn't that usual for songs overall, especially seeing how the main song actually is slower than the intro (BPM-wise). The song is also supposed to portray a psychotic, and this it does indeed, because the song is pretty close to being madness-inducing itself.
Even though it's not alot it's still enough to make the song interesting. :V

And the song being over-rated does not make it bad, it just got the popularity I think it deserved. It was one of the songs that first introduces me to the Touhou-series (The other ones being Cirno's theme and Bad Apple, yes I am average). You guys just don't like the fact that things you like get popular, even though you should actually be happy about it, because there's no other way of bonding that works better than common interests, and if the series become more popular you will get more people to bond to, something that overall would be a good thing ^_^

You kinda remind me of the people over at gametrailers. When something they like get to popular they start hating it. :/

EDITED:

I still don't judge you for doing that though, it's kinda normal, everybody does it :))
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:30:32 PM by Zondac »
I suck at PCB.... ;_;

« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
You kinda remind me of the people over at gametrailers. When something they like get to popular they start hating it.
Except I didn't even like it when I was just getting into Touhou.

Zondac

• Marketing Manager
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Except I didn't even like it when I was just getting into Touhou.

You may be right there, but still, the song is good, we just have different tastes :D
I hope we can ignore our differences and still HEY BRO, WHAT's YOUR STEAM? WANNA PLAY TF2?
I suck at PCB.... ;_;

« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
You may be right there, but still, the song is good, we just have different tastes :D
I hope we can ignore our differences and still HEY BRO, WHAT's YOUR STEAM? WANNA PLAY TF2?
That's the point of these threads; rage at other peoples' musical tastes and ADD ME BRO, MAYBE WE CAN PLAY LATER TODAY BUT I'LL BE BUSY FOR THE NEXT 2-3 HOURS.

Zondac

• Marketing Manager
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
That's the point of these threads; rage at other peoples' musical tastes and ADD ME BRO, MAYBE WE CAN PLAY LATER TODAY BUT I'LL BE BUSY FOR THE NEXT 2-3 HOURS.

I do seriously not believe you should rage at other people opini- I'M TOTALLY ADDING YOU NOW OH MY GOD THIS IS GONNA BE RAD
I suck at PCB.... ;_;

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
It was one of the songs that first introduces me to the Touhou-series (The other ones being Cirno's theme and Bad Apple, yes I am average). You guys just don't like the fact that things you like get popular, even though you should actually be happy about it, because there's no other way of bonding that works better than common interests, and if the series become more popular you will get more people to bond to, something that overall would be a good thing ^_^
Off topic a little, but I think you're average for just the newer Touhou cultists. 
The BAD Apple!! arrange was actually good; those before you had to deal with Overdrive and Marisa Stole the Precious Thing in addition to McRoll.  In other words, you lucked out :p

Radaxen

• Epitome of Laziness
  • Proceed and Retrieve.
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »
I don't know if I'm different but I really like IN and MoF's music. MoF especially, I can't pick a tune I don't like from stage 1 to Suwako's theme, except for maybe the Extra Stage theme, and the stage 1 theme. I'm planning to learn all of MoF's music and play it on piano.

I first found out about Touhou via Mcroll, and first thing I noticed while trying to avoid getting hypnotised by that clown was that the background music was interesting. So I went to search for it and found U.N. Owen was her?, and thought it was a kickass theme. However, as I came to know more and more themes, U.N. Owen was her? just slipped all the way down, and as I come to analyse its musical structure I find that it's much less complicated than it seems.

I, for one, really like Eirin's IN theme (not the voyage 1970), it may sound pretty unappealing at first due to its main part sounding very chinese or something, but I found the structure and instrumentation fascinating. Mokou's theme might be slightly repetitive, but there is a sort of enigmatic feel to it that makes it a great piece.

I don't know much about UFO, PoFV and PC-98 games, so I can't really judge. Though I have to say, I really dislike most of the fighting games' boss theme remixes. Other than Patchouli's, Iku's, Tenshi's and Utsuho's themes, the rest give me a reason to switch off BGM while playing Hisoutensoku. They might fit a fighting scenario, but otherwise, I'd prefer the originals much more.
Proceed and Retrieve.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
SoEW, definitely. I really don't like any of the music from that game. All except Marisa's theme.

« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
SoEW, definitely. I really don't like any of the music from that game. All except Marisa's theme.
Himorogi, Burn in Violet?  Extra Love/The Tank Girl's Dream?  Complete Darkness?

« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2010, 06:57:22 PM »
Faith is for the Transient People is by far, the worst Stage 5 Boss theme.

However, the metal remixes make it fairly nice.

Now watch as I get shot down by people who can't accept differing opinions.

« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »
Faith is for the Transient People is by far, the worst Stage 5 Boss theme.

However, the metal remixes make it fairly nice.

Now watch as I get shot down by people who can't accept differing opinions.
Since I heard the metal remixes before the in-game theme, I can wholeheartedly agree with that.

Of course, the amazing stage theme beforehand also makes it sound underwhelming by comparison.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
At first everyone was like "OMG For a Person of Transient Faith" because it had a real rock feel to it, but after a while (and a retranslation) people kind of meh-d away from it.  It's a bit shallow for what it is.  Just like U.N.Owen

The stage theme is a lot better if you have a high tolerance for ZUN trumpet.  It's really a good theme, but not a good showing for the e-trompe.

Also CtC Boss 5 for reference.  Till When? like you've never heard it before.  Plus they threw in a blue note for some reason.

« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
Himorogi, Burn in Violet?
If you want to hear Final Fantasy VI's boss music, play Final Fantasy VI.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
I like u.n. Owen, but I can respect other people disliking it... But uninteresting!!!??? honestly, the genre of music used to describe the song is pretty much non-existant. The reason why I can understand people disliking it is because it's weird.

I of course enjoy it for many reasons pointless and ot to mention. But I had to say the above.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
Himorogi, Burn in Violet?  Extra Love/The Tank Girl's Dream?  Complete Darkness?
Complete Darkness I like a *tiny* bit...
But the others are just somewhat meh-ish forme...

« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
I like u.n. Owen, but I can respect other people disliking it... But uninteresting!!!??? honestly, the genre of music used to describe the song is pretty much non-existant. The reason why I can understand people disliking it is because it's weird.

I of course enjoy it for many reasons pointless and ot to mention. But I had to say the above.
How do you feel about Forsaken Doll?