Author Topic: Which game has the WORST music?  (Read 49786 times)

ebarrett

Re: Which game has the WORST music?
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »
I can't love stage 1 themes, too many first bullet ragequit traumas. Though that's more of a LLS thing.

Axel Ryman

• Fear me
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2010, 07:44:47 AM »
HRtP has Eternal Shrine Maiden. Almost everything else is excellent as well but holy fuck Eternal Shrine Maiden.

SoEW doesn't have much to be honest - it was developed at the same time as HRtP which got all the awesome music and gameplay. There's the original Love-Coloured Magic, though. I like The Tank Girl's Dream as well but I can see a lot of people... not liking it.

PoDD has the best soundtrack in the series, in my opinion. Just listen to the whole thing will ya.

LLS starts off slow but there are some gems later in the game - the original Maiden's Capriccio, Casket of Star, both of Yuka's themes. I don't go crazy for Bad Apple!! but most people do. (I go crazy for Lotus Love instead)

MS has a few duds but more than makes up for it with the MOTHERFUCKING GRIMOIRE OF ALICE and INFINITE BEING and ALICE IN WONDERLAND and ROMANTIC CHILDREN and PLASTIC MIND and DOLL OF MISERY and it's the best game in the series so go play it ok just ignore stage 4's blue bullets on blue backgrounds and you'll be fine until you get raped by Yumeko
Spoiler:
[/fangasm]

well, that took a while.

Took a listen and out of all of them I only really liked Eternal Shrine Maiden, Love-Coloured Magic, and Casket of Star(This one only cause I remembered hearing it in SWR and liked that version).

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »
ebarret, you SUCK for leaving out Maple Wise, Alice Maestra, and Himorogi, Burn in Violet.  All Stage 4 themes, all AMAZING.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »

you know, your avatar fits perfectly with every post you make.

i'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, so take it as you like.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »
Eternal Shrine Maiden sounded better in remixes tbh...

Personally I like all of the stage themes in SoEW, and apparently I'm the only one. 
To contrast, the only good boss theme is Mima's.
Tank Girl's Dream:  whaDANGDANGDANGwhaDANGDANGDANGwhaDANGDANGDANGDaaa~ng (repeat)

I personally like the LLS Stage 6 theme.  It's a good theme for "get whatever resources you can because this is definitely the end".
I have to put in a word for Break the Sabbath and Alice Maestra (which is totally better than Romantic Children in spite of being almost the same song).

Mystic Square has Infinite Being, Doll of Misery, and Alice in Wonderland, but that's it. 
Grimoire of Alice is basically "hey I'm playing with intervals and angst chords at full volume".

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »
you know, your avatar fits perfectly with every post you make.

i'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, so take it as you like.
What.

« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
Personally I like all of the stage themes in SoEW, and apparently I'm the only one. 
To contrast, the only good boss theme is Mima's.

Very much agreed.  Well, stage 5 never really did anything for me.

and Alice Maestra (which is totally better than Romantic Children in spite of being almost the same song).

wut

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Ebarrett forgot to recommend Strange Oriental Discourse from HRtP. In my opinion, it's on par with Eternal Shrine Maiden. The only problem is that it's a tad short...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ebarrett

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »
ebarret, you SUCK for leaving out Maple Wise, Alice Maestra, and Himorogi, Burn in Violet.  All Stage 4 themes, all AMAZING.
Guilty regarding Maple Wise (stage trauma got in the way), not a big fan of Alice Maestra, and Himorogi is great but it's also lifted note-for-note from a Final Fantasy theme. There is a lot of "borrowed" stuff in the series but Himorogi is the worst offender.

The whole thing was pointless anyway since PC-98 haters are still gonna hate and the others are probably going to burn me at the stake :V

Gpop

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2010, 02:24:38 AM »
Okay let's do this.

Title: EoSD
S1: EoSD
Boss 1: EoSD
S2: EoSD
Boss 2: EoSD
S3: EoSD
Boss 3: EoSD
S4: EoSD
Boss 4: EoSD
S5: EoSD
Boss 5: EoSD
S6: EoSD
Boss 6: EoSD
EX Stage: EoSD
EXBoss: PCB (U.N Owen is good enough, while Necrofantasy...hurts my ears, although still okay).

Try to guess what game has the worst music IMO. I STILL haven't played SoEW so that's why I haven't said any of them. EoSD suffered from crap instruments.

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2010, 04:54:54 AM »
*big wall of text*
You forgot Himorogi, Burn in Violet, Judas Kiss, and Perdition Crisis. :V

ebarrett

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2010, 05:51:13 AM »
I forgot Peaceful Romancer.

:ohdear:

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
EoSD suffered from crap instruments.

You are shallow as fuck. Poor instrumentation is always acceptable as long as the melody is decent. And EoSD has easily the most memorable melodies in the series.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »
Poor instrumentation is always acceptable as long as the melody is decent.
Without disputing your taste, I think you're in a very small minority here given ZUN+e-trompe.
And EoSD has easily the most memorable melodies in the series.
Once again...

Gpop

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2010, 03:06:24 PM »
You are shallow as fuck. Poor instrumentation is always acceptable as long as the melody is decent. And EoSD has easily the most memorable melodies in the series.

Give me ZUN arranges re-mastering the songs and maybe I'll enjoy them. Arranges mean nothing.

Because of these crap instruments, I can't bear to stand them or even remember them.

Formless God

« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
EoSD tracks' melodies are great. They just sound poor in-game, that's all.

And you can't talk about memorable melodies without mentioning PCB, MoF and UFO :<

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
EoSD tracks' melodies are great. They just sound poor in-game, that's all.

And you can't talk about memorable melodies without mentioning PCB, MoF and UFO :<
UFO's skippable.

Not to say its music is bad, but the only three tunes I can remember off the top of my head are the stage themes for 3 and 4, and Shou's theme.

Formless God

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
It has something to do with which game you got to play first ... again.

Cosmic Mind is most memorable because I've never listened to such an epic track in a while.
I could also say Border of Life if I played PCB first.

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
I forgot Peaceful Romancer.

:ohdear:

Whoa, someone else likes Peaceful Romancer? It's my favorite staff roll not counting the fighting games, needs more love <3 MS music is great, even though I could never like Spiritual Heaven or Plastic Mind that much.

Gpop

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
UFO may not have many memorable tracks, but at least it had SOME for me.

The only memorable track I had for EoSD on my first few playthroughs was U.N Owen Was Her.

Remember that this is just my opinion. Don't argue, you won't change my mind.

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »

Cosmic Mind is most memorable because I've never listened to such an epic track in a while.
I could also say Border of Life if I played PCB first.
True.  That's probably why I like most of EoSD's music.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
I admit that EoSD had some bad instruments, but I still like the music, even in-game. Then again, I think ZUNtrumpets have a unique charm to them that proves that it's his music. Real trumpets wouldn't have the same sound to them.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »
Eosd instrument quality IS a let down, it doesn't bother me much though. I'm curious though, for the people who dislike it fairly significantly (or more) how did you take ff7 instrumentation? I HATE that shit, especially that stupid cheesy muffled hockey organ or WTF it is.

How about pc98 instrumentation, retro sid-chip or whatever sound card music has a certain charm to it for me.

« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
Decided to make a list!

Stage 1 - Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry (EoSD)
Boss 1 - Apparitions Stalk the Night (EoSD) very dishonorable mention to Tiny, Tiny, Clever Commander (UFO)

Stage 2 - The Bridge People No Longer Cross (SA)
Boss 2 - Deaf to All but the Song (IN)

Stage 3 - Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World (IN)
Boss 3 - CANDID FUCKING FRIEND (MoF)

Stage 4 - The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky (PCB)
Boss 4 - The Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain (MoF)

Stage 5 - Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple (PCB)
Boss 5 - Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird ~ Till When? (PCB) dishonorable mention to Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon (IN)

Stage 6 - The Young Descendant of Tepes (EoSD)
Boss 6 - BORDER OF FUCKING LIFE AUGH (PCB)

EX Stage - Last Remote (SA)
EX Boss - NECROFANTASIA (PCB, I'M SAYING IT IN CAPS BECAUSE IT'S VERY VERY LOUD DO YOU GET IT)

Fighter - Oh where do I even start with IaMP.

Photo Theme - Tengu is Watching ~ Black Eyes

Phantasmagoria Theme - Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple (Youmu's PoFV theme)

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »
Half that list makes me wonder if you got the wrong topic.

What are you looking for in your BGMs?

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
At least I agree with Boss 5

Formless God

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2010, 07:04:28 PM »
ITT different music tastes

I actually agree with most of that post except for Tiny Ti(ry, CANDID FUCKING FRIEND and Ancient Temple (but Touhou doesn't have any good Stage 5 themes anyway).

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
Actually rereading it I just jumped because I saw SA Stage 2, PCB Stage 5, and SA Extra and a handful of not-worsts.

I still think answers to the question would be interesting though. 
What are you looking for in your BGMs?

Formless God

« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
*cough*Ancient Temple is the only good one, and only when remixed*cough*
I'm sick of that loop after midboss!Nazrin.

Besides, On the Verge of Madness is superior BV

Gpop

« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »

Funny. EoSD was the first game I played (excluding IaMP). I still find it hard to remember some of the songs >.>

But I won't disagree that the first games you play USUALLY have the most memorable.

Eosd instrument quality IS a let down, it doesn't bother me much though. I'm curious though, for the people who dislike it fairly significantly (or more) how did you take ff7 instrumentation? I HATE that shit, especially that stupid cheesy muffled hockey organ or WTF it is.

How about pc98 instrumentation, retro sid-chip or whatever sound card music has a certain charm to it for me.

PC-98 instrumentation has an awesome nostalgic feel. EoSD does not give me any good vibes at all.

I never played FF7 :V

Anyways, it doesn't matter if it's MEMORABLE, as this topic states what music is BAD in your opinion. I might remember a song for it's horribleness >.>