Author Topic: Which game has the WORST music?  (Read 49605 times)

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
Re: Which game has the WORST music?
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
Seconding that I have no idea why people think the UFO soundtrack is bad.
Start liking more atmospheric music.

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
Start liking more atmospheric music.

Such as all the other Touhou soundtracks?

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
<this post was lame, ignore>
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:33:42 PM by u? »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
I think people need to understand that least fave != hate.
I don't really hate any of the songs on my list. I'm sure I'm not the only one too.

Formless God

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
Hate, eh ... not really, unless someone goes "Cosmic Mind your song sucks mine's better".

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:23 PM »
I think people need to understand that least fave != hate.
Not all drama in this topic is sincere.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »
Not all drama in this topic is sincere.

Wasn't referring to the drama so much as the  numerous posts I've seen stating something like "Seconding that I have no idea why people think the UFO soundtrack is bad.". I saw one for PCB, and IN, and SA, etc.
I don't think any of them have a noticeable amount of people who think they are actually BAD per say.

But clearly, too many people underrate EoSD music, what gives! >=P

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
St. 1 - A Soul As Red as a Ground Cherry (EoSD) HM A God that Loves People ~ Romantic Fall (MoF)
St. 2 - The Road of the Apotropaic God ~ Dark Road (MoF)
Boss 3 - A Flower-Studded Sake Dish on Mt. Ooe (SA) HM Bet on Death (SoEW)
Boss 5 - Corpse Voyage ~ Be of Good Cheer! (SA)
NOOO

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 07:09:13 PM »
NOOO

I can sorta agree with that. but according to the popularity contenst, be of good cheer is really ranked quite low, so I shouldn't be surprised with that one..

Zengeku though:
S6 Boss: PCB

That one blew me away, I thought EVERYONE liked that one. I mean I know septette is more popular but I can sorta see the liklihood of someone disliking it due to the instrumentation, and the lack of "final boss" feeling you get from the song. But but.. EVERYONE likes Yuyuko's theme! Clearly Zengeku suffers from some kind of brain disorder, we should take him to a doctor! >=P

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
But clearly, too many people underrate EoSD music, what gives! >=P
The instrumentation has quite a bit to do with it; the rest is that the music tends to be bland or not go anywhere.  Some of it manages to be decent in spite of that (Centennial Festival); a lot of it isn't (Lunate Elf, Red/Ground Cherry).

Probably the best tracks on the EoSD playlist are the Scarlet Belvedere, Meiling's theme, Patchy's theme, Remilia's theme, and Centennial Festival.

But but.. EVERYONE likes Yuyuko's theme!
ZUNpets at the end kind of ruin it, plus it doesn't loop well.
Very remixable though.

but according to the popularity contenst, be of good cheer is really ranked quite low, so I shouldn't be surprised with that one..
Orin's theme sounds like the BGM for Phoenix Wright trying to beg for people to agree with him.  Or at least that's kind of the mental picture I get.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »
Hate, eh ... not really, unless someone goes "Cosmic Mind your song sucks mine's better".
Cosmic Mind sucks mine's better

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »

Title: UFO's (Can't be bothered with the name on this one)
Stage 1: Hakurei~ Eastern Wind (...Fine, dishonorable mention to Romantic Fall)
Boss 1: Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me (MoF's for those of you who never remember Minoriko :V )
Stage 2: Break the Sabbath
Boss 2: Power of Darkness and Scarlet Phoneme for both being utterly forgettable
Stage 3: BAD FREAKING APPLE
Boss 3: It's... Hard to pick one. Many are rather forgettable, none of them really stand out as not as good as others.
Stage 4: Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
Boss 4: Gah... So hard to choose, all so awesome... I guess I'll go with 3rd eye =/
Stage 5: Lotus Love for being way too forgettable
Boss 5: Have to go with Invisible Full Moon here, as it just doesn't stand out as much as others.
Stage 6: Hm... What was it called again? Oh yeah, Dream Land. Forgettable, etc.
Boss 6: LUNATIC PRINCESS!
Stage X: UFO Romance in the Night Sky
Boss X: Native Faith
Fighting: Wonderful Heaven
Non-standard-numbered anything (tHRtP/StB/DS): Wind God Girl (It counts <.< )
Phantasmagoria: I really wanna go with Wind God Girl here... But maybe Lord Usa's Elemental Flag deserves it more. Dunno, so hard to remember it... <_<

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
Boss 1: Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me (MoF's for those of you who never remember Minoriko :V )
Boss 2: Power of Darkness and Scarlet Phoneme for both being utterly forgettable
Boss 3: It's... Hard to pick one. Many are rather forgettable, none of them really stand out as not as good as others.
Boss 4: Gah... So hard to choose, all so awesome... I guess I'll go with 3rd eye =/
Boss 5: Have to go with Invisible Full Moon here, as it just doesn't stand out as much as others.
Phantasmagoria: I really wanna go with Wind God Girl here... But maybe Lord Usa's Elemental Flag deserves it more. Dunno, so hard to remember it... <_<
*faint* Wow, that is probably the most surprising choise...
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
Maybe I'll give this a shot. Games that apply: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA. Not gonna do titles, credits, and such since I hardly pay attention to those anyway.

- Stage 1: EoSD. I like the opening and the trumpet's melody, but the rest is bland enough to (barely) push it below the rest (yeah, it's kinda hard to call this one).
- Stage 1 Boss: IN. Wriggle's theme is so annoying. DHM to Minoriko's theme.
- Stage 2: EoSD. Lunate Elf is too bland on its own, plus it really suffers from EoSD's bad instrumentation.
- Stage 2 Boss: MoF. Hina's theme feels too random in the way its melody progresses.
- Stage 3: IN, because it's vaguely associated with Keine. Keine is associated with history. I'm not fond of history. You do the math.
- Stage 3 Boss: Tie between IN and SA. IN for the reasons above, SA because Yuugi's theme has little substance whatsoever.
- Stage 4: EoSD. Really lackluster melody compared to the rest.
- Stage 4 Boss: PCB. Another tough one, as I've just realized that I somewhat like the Prismriver Sisters' theme, but I don't think I'll end up liking it enough to overtake the rest.
- Stage 5: IN. Two words: ZUN trumpets.
- Stage 5 Boss: EoSD, if only because of the horrible instrumentation.
- Stage 6: PCB. Nothing about it really stands out to me, plus it gives me bad memories of OMGBROKENSTAGESPAM.
- Stage 6 Boss: IN (History of the Moon). That's not to say I hate it at all, just that it barely misses the cut.
- Extra Stage: IN. Annoying trumpets again.
- Extra Stage Boss: MoF. I don't see why everyone likes Native Faith so much. IMO the fast-paced piano at the beginning is cool, but the rest isn't.

Not gonna label one game as having the "worst soundtrack", since it would be wrong for me to condemn whatever awesome songs each game has in the process.

Wait...what?

I know you're saying they're all awesome, but seriously, 3rd Eye is way too good to be considered here.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »
Opinions time! For some reason a lot of LLS music ended up in this list. I decided to leave SoeW out since cheating, etc.

Title: A Sacred Lot (HRtP) - Generic, nothing much to say here.
Stage 1: Selene's light (LLS) - Sounds shrill and repetitive.
Boss 1: Stirring an Autumn Moon ~ Mooned Insect (IN) - It's cute, but the synths are too loud and there's nothing special about it.
Stage 2: The Sealed Cloud Route (UFO) - Nothing special, again.
Boss 2: Scarlet Symphony ~ Scarlet Phoneme (LLS) - Definition of a repetitive ZUN song. Poor Kurumi doesn't get a good boss or stage theme.
Stage 3: Sky Ruin (UFO) - More bland UFO stage music.
Boss 3: Plastic Mind (MS) - Sounds kind of dark and harsh.
Stage 4: Voile, the Magic Library (EoSD) - It sounds stuffy; the only part I like is after Koakuma enters in-game.
Boss 4: Crimson Maiden ~ Crimson Dead!! (MS) - Loud, repetitive, etc.
Stage 5: Lotus Love (LLS) - I don't really remember this song from going through the game, and it pales in comparison to other stage 5 themes.
Boss 5: Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird (PCB) - The melody is fine, but the instrumentation is way too blaring.
Stage 6: Hellfire Mantle (SA) - Ehh, it fits the stage but I just don't like it too much.
Boss 6: Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess (IN) - I like the opening, but the percussion gets excessive and the instrumentation is kind of annoying.
Stage Ex: The Inevitably Forbidden Game (LLS) - The melody gets really grating after a while.
Boss Ex: Hartmann's Youkai Girl (SA) - Neat song name, but the only thing that stands out about it is the creepy tone.
Phantasmagoria: Oriental Dark Flight (POFV) - One of many unmemorable PoFV songs. I do like Reimu's theme, though.

(edit) Oh wow I just typed in 'Macbeth stage 4' while trying to do my Brit lit homework. This is why I shouldn't multitask.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:31:05 PM by sera »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
(edit) Oh wow I just typed in 'Macbeth stage 4' while trying to do my Brit lit homework. This is why I shouldn't multitask.
Eh, S4's nothing to worry about.  It's Macbeth S5 that's the problem.  All those damn trees that spawn soldiers when you destroy them are a pain to dodge.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 12:08:47 AM »
IN and IaMP are tied for worst music. IaMP has Evening Star, Silence, and Dance of Witches. IN has Voyage 1969 and the first fifteen seconds of Old World :V
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:40:03 AM by SenSageUn »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2010, 02:01:48 AM »
I would have to say PoFV. The tunes are mostly redundantly redundant mediocrity and consistently don't measure up to the music in the other games. I just think that the music in the game was an afterthought. I could compare the game itself to PoDD and say that the music would take a backseat to the action and consider that its excuse, but PoDD's music is great.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2010, 03:12:52 AM »
IN. Everything about IN is terrible, and its soundtrack is no different-- with the sole exception of Old World, which I have a soft spot for.

Dishonorable mention to IaMP-- it has two good songs in its favor (its remix of Lunar Dial and Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream), but it is not much better than IN, which is at the bottom of the barrel.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 04:18:17 AM »
I think I died multiple times while reading this post.  Except for the part about 3rd Eye, which is overrated.  (ZUNpets again)
EDIT:  and Lunatic Princess

Break the Sabbath and BAD Apple!! are awesome :angryface:
Scarlet Phoneme is repetitive, but at least it goes into like seven different keys.

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:14 AM »
Zengeku though:
That one blew me away, I thought EVERYONE liked that one. I mean I know septette is more popular but I can sorta see the liklihood of someone disliking it due to the instrumentation, and the lack of "final boss" feeling you get from the song. But but.. EVERYONE likes Yuyuko's theme! Clearly Zengeku suffers from some kind of brain disorder, we should take him to a doctor! >=P

I like the song a lot indeed but i find the other S6 boss songs to be better. If you could find a doctor that could cure danmaku-sucking i would be interested... i play horribly right now.

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »
I actually don't care for Yuyuko's theme. It's not a bad song, but when I said that I was tired of PCB music, I meant pretty much everything but Crystallized Silver. :V

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
Border of Life is fucking awful.

Formless God

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »
At least it's got sexy remixes.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
PCB
Bad music, depressing as well. Border of Life has some parts that shine and some that suck. Necrofantasy is so terrible ZUN had to remix it into something completely different for Necrofantasia to sound good.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2010, 03:37:41 PM »

HRHGHRUGHHGHH

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »
hrm. I'll make a list. Not including PC-98 themes.

ST1: MoF
ST1B: IN
ST2: UFO
ST2B: UFO
ST3: UFO
ST3B: SA
ST4: EoSD
ST4B: MoF
ST5: IN
ST5B: EoSD
ST6: SA
ST6B: SA
EX: UFO
EXB: UFO

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
I normally like ZUN trumpets, but he really screwed them up with whatever 2nd instrument he used in this song.

Also Luna Dial isn't music, so it shouldn't even be listed here.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
Also Luna Dial isn't music, so it shouldn't even be listed here.
Damn right.

Luna Dial shouldn't be listed in the "Worst Music"-Thread, and it isn't mere music - it is better.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bananamatic

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
I could record Luna Dial the next time I hit my head on my keyboard because I've died with 6 bombs in DDP yet again