Author Topic: Keyboard or Controller?  (Read 27234 times)

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Re: Keyboard or Controller?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »
Those of you who use an arcade stick, please elaborate: what specifically do you use, why an arcade stick, pros and cons. This seems like such a weird and awesome subset of player.

I have a HORI PS3 arcade stick and a MadCatz TE for Xbox 360. Both of these I can just plug in to my computer/laptop and play. I use arcade sticks because I used to play a lot of shmups at a local arcade before they closed down, and I just got comfortable with it. Personally, it doesn't really feel all that different, mostly just a preference thing. I also play a lot of fighting games competitively, so that's why I have these arcade sticks.

I miss my arcade ;_;

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 02:32:43 AM »
Hello,

I use a gamepad, a 360 pad to be specific. Many people say it's dpad is bad, but I don't have many problems with it I think. I used cheap gamepads (the ones for like 5 bucks) before but they kept breaking all the time (from throwing them).

For me personally, gamepads are superior, since I don't have to lean forward in order to play, I can just lay back and let my gamepad and hands rest in my lap.
I think it is easier to do certain movements with a keyboard though, like going into one direction while tapping in another one. So Keyboard might actually have a slight edge over gamepad precision wise.
Generally I think none is superior over the other, they just have different advantages.

I personally don't think there is a difference in skill between gamepad and keyboard users. I think the best one is whoever puts most effort into becoming good, no matter if keyboard or gamepad.

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 03:02:42 AM »

Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)?

If a controller. What kind?

If a keyboard. Is it a gaming keyboard?(Pretty sweet. Even if it's just a game that requires few keys.)

Which do you think is more superior? (Considering you've played using both)

Laptop keyboard user, Even in fighting games.

No controller. Not even having one.

I've already answered this question.

IMO, I think that keyboard is better for Shooting games (and those Photographic games) while controller is for fighting games. My opinion is not legit though since I've never tried any controller.
Still waiting for a good sig. image

Drake

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2013, 05:14:40 AM »
I bought a new Logitech K120 keyboard just for general use recently and I'm liking it.

But for TRU HARDCORE STG PLAY I've spent a lot of time (i.e. two years mostly doing nothing) trying to get this done:
http://i.imgur.com/u8IVyFE.png
Which is essentially a homemade arcade stick but without the stick and with mechanical keyswitches instead of usual buttons.
Inside it is a PS360+, which lets me play on PC, 360, PS3, Dreamcast, and some earlier consoles. So I get mechanical keyboard controls on systems that don't normally support keyboards, along with the general intention of dipping into the interesting world of arcade stick culture.

I made a prototype out of cardboard and it played great, but it was too flimsy. It would stop working because the wiring wasn't well-secured (friction lol) and eventually the pins on a few keys broke from me shoving the wiring back onto it, so it's just back to waiting until I can properly put it together. I don't have good access to table saws / band saws / accurate plastic cutters / etc.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2013, 05:15:36 AM »
I don't play fighters in general, but I'd probably be more comfortable with a gamepad if I did.

I actually find that I'm less precise overall when I'm using a gamepad; it's fine for some projects and for games where I'm unfamiliar with the keyboard layout (or for when I'm playing Gameboy games), but in general I just prefer the good old qwerty.
The ultimate joke would be making Wriggle an EX Boss, but there being a game-breaking bug in her final spellcard that made it impossible to catch.

Think about it for a second...

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I use a Super NES controller. :toot:

Other players simply tend to be better than myself. The hardware used doesn't really matter to me in this case. :V
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

ark

• みょん
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
>Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)?
Keyboard when I play stuff on PC, arcade stick (LS-32 in a cardboard box) for 360 shmups.

>If a keyboard. Is it a gaming keyboard?(Pretty sweet. Even if it's just a game that requires few keys.)
Keyboard is a Logitech G15 (v1) that I've had since forever, back when I played...other games.

>Which do you think is more superior? (Considering you've played using both)
I'm a lot better with keyboard than stick, and I do believe that there are advantages to keyboard that make it objectively better than other input methods, so I'd rank things as keyboard > stick > pad. Specifically, keyboard gives the best decoupling between different movement directions. Sticks are decent with that too. (OTOH, see below.) I do pretty well in stuff like Cave shmups with the stick but I'm completely unable to play Touhou with it. (Goes to show you how much fine movement is important in Touhou.) I also used a 360 pad before, but I switched to a stick and that was so much better that I was performing better with a stick after 2 weeks than I was with a year on the 360 pad.

>Do you think people who uses a keyboard are better than those who uses a controller?
People are best with what they are used to, regardless of whether it's keyboard, pad, or stick, provided it's a decent thing (e.g. not a 360 pad). Some top (WR-level) Touhou players use a pad.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)?
I use keyboard for the shmup Touhou's and an arcade stick for the fighters. I used to use this before it broke.
Spoiler:
Yes, you can laugh at it.

See above.

If a keyboard. Is it a gaming keyboard?(Pretty sweet. Even if it's just a game that requires few keys.)
Nope, just a cheap keyboard.

They're both just as good as each other. It all comes down to personal preference and which you're more comfortable with.

Do you think people who uses a keyboard are better than those who uses a controller?
Not at all! See above.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
Well, I use a keyboard. It's kinda out of choice, if you examined the play patterns of an armless monkey on a controller and me on a controller, you'd find that the armless monkey would do better.

Sidenote: Drake, is there anything you do that isn't incredibly cool? Maybe I'm a saddo in thinking that a homemade kind-of-an-arcade-stick is cool, but hey, I like watching QI so what the hell do I know?
(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

Drake

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 05:18:17 AM »
Sidenote: Drake, is there anything you do that isn't incredibly cool? Maybe I'm a saddo in thinking that a homemade kind-of-an-arcade-stick is cool, but hey, I like watching QI so what the hell do I know?
I'm always sort of taken aback when random people just come out of nowhere and compliment me like that. Thanks.
Also watching QI means you have good taste so yeah ^5.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
I use a keyboard for Touhou (logitech k120, cheapest of the cheapies), keyboard in general for other shmups I play on MAME, and pad for xbox stuff. I tried arcade stick for xbox and had minor success with it, but didn't really like the feel. Could've spent more time with it but was too uncomfortable with my skill gap between stick and pad that I didn't maintain stick practice.

I wouldn't say one is more superior than the other, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Keyboard for example feels more precise initially because of the ease of switching between directions, there's no rolling your thumb around and getting familiar with where your thumb needs to be to hit one direction and not the other, or both if you're aiming for a diagonal movement. It's very obvious what direction you'll be going with a keyboard, and even after using a pad extensively I still feel significantly more precise with a keyboard. Pad on the other hand has the advantage of being easier to make fluid movements with. Going around in circular movements or quick figure-eight-like direction changes are not clumsy but comfortable. With a keyboard your movements feel more rigid, with a pad your movements are more fluid. Both can be useful, and with enough practice, either peripheral can do both, but one does the other better when you're first trying them out (and even for weeks/months after using them).

I prefer keyboard for most games, mostly due to my familiarity with it. If I were to use a pad for just as much time, I think I would still prefer keyboard due to the extreme precision it gives with multiple fingers controlling multiple directions, but perhaps with so much time into a pad my thumb work would be just as precise. Hard to say. If my precision were the same with both peripherals, I would use a pad since rapid direction changes tend to be easier, it is rare that a difficult attack would have you go back and forth fast enough for the thumb waving to be an issue (and where having multiple fingers would be useful), but it is not uncommon for difficult attacks to feature fluid circular movements or rapid 45/90 degree direction shifts (thinking of hibachi in DOJBL for example), which I feel the pad would be better at handling.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »

Right now I use a keyboard for the shooters and an arcade stick for the fighters. I also use my stick for PoFV in the rare event that I play it, but only because I only ever really play with splitscreen with someone else in the room, and my computer isn't set up for both of us being able to use the keyboard, so someone has to use a controller.

Last year I did quite a lot of experimenting with different controllers for Touhou just out of curiosity, but I couldn't find anything that I liked. I think if I could find the absolute perfect controller that would work better for me, but that controller doesn't seem to exist so a keyboard is a better option than anything I can find.

My stick is a Qanba Q4.

Nope. Built-in crappy laptop keyboard. It's extremely sub-optimal for shooters because it has a split up/down arrow key. I've sort of gotten used to it, but it stills causes a lot of mishaps that could be avoided with a full keyboard.

Like I said, currently I think keyboards are superior to any controller that I'm aware of existing for various reasons. I think maybe a controller designed specifically for shoot-em-ups might be able to perform as well as or better than a keyboard in theory, but since such a thing isn't real as far as I know keyboards are probably the way to go.

Do you think people who uses a keyboard are better than those who uses a controller?

I don't know. Not inherently I don't think. I don't see any reason why keyboards would be the most optimized possible method of controlling shooters, so it's not like the possibility to make something that would work better doesn't exist.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Sahgren

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 02:54:05 AM »
I use a keyboard for the shmups and an arcade stick for the fighters.

A HRAP3 (Hori Real Arcade Pro 3) that was modified by a friend to work on a Playstation 3, XBox 360, and Windows computer.

Nope, just a $10 USB keyboard off of Amazon.

Neither. It's all preference.

Nope. People should use whatever they're most comfortable with.

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 04:31:54 AM »
Most if not all Touhou games are designed around using a keyboard surely, so naturally they will feel better using a keyboard. However if you enjoy the feel of a controller, more power to you. Even the fighting games are designed around the keyboard, but if a fight stick is more down your alley then by all means!

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
I use a keyboard for everything, though it would probably be better to have a controller for the fighters.

n/a

My keyboard is a Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard. It's got a few useful extra buttons on it as well. Here's a decent pic of it for those of you who are randomly interested. :V
I've actually had this keyboard for a very long time. We had it back on a computer running XP way back in the day (when XP was new), and it still works perfectly.

I haven't used a controller before for the Touhou games (let alone any computer), however, I don't feel any one is superior to the other. While I generally feel that keyboards would work better for the danmaku games, because it allows for better precision, it largely depends on the user and what they're comfortable with. A controller may work better for someone than a keyboard, and vice versa.

No. See above answer.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »
I usually play with a controller.

DualShock 3

Superior is subjective. I just find it easier to play using a controller.

Depends. Some prefer controllers, while others prefer keyboards.

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »
I like to use controller, as my keyboard is too bad to play with

kitslol

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
Keyboard for shmups, controller for fighting games

Logitech F310

Corsair Vengeance k70 with Cherry MX red switches.

I've seen people play well with both, so I think it's just a matter of what you're more comfortable with and have the most experience using.

Nope

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
Keyboard

If i ever come to use one, i have a PS2 controller and an adapter for me to use

Yes it is a gaming keyboard, Thermaltake TT Esports Knucker

Naut.

Not really, all about preference, do whatever you're comfortable with.

SergioAlonso

• I created Phoenix Force
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »
I like my xbox controller better. It feels more comfortable and have more control over the direction I want to go.

uc9

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
I only play video games with regular old keyboards; cause I don't like using controllers.

SIRookie

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 02:33:29 AM »
I've used both. (And an arcade stick once. There was too much travel between when you moved the joystick and when your character actually moved, so precise actions and grazing were a helluva lot harder. I think maybe the joystick was just wearing out)

PS3 Dualshock 3 and Xbox 360 (both via usb)

Standard laptop keyboard. I have a Logitech Wave keyboard (not quite gaming worthy), which apparently has a keypress limit of 4, so I've stopped using that

It's a toss-up. I think the Xbox controller is better for the regular games, the PS3 controller of the fighting games, and in a pinch a standard keyboard works just fine.

I will say, though, that if a key on your keyboard breaks you can just remap to another spot (my left arrow is ded so I remapped arrow keys to IJKL) wihle with a controller, you have to get a new controller, so that's a small advantage in keyboard's favor :V
After hammering on my "Z" and "X" keys so much, they've started to become buggy, so while it is convenient to be able to remap keys, it's kind of annoying imo

I like the PS3 controller for the fighting games because of how the sticks tend to return to neutral easier, but with an Xbox controller on the regular games I feel like movement is a lot smoother, plus the buttons seem more responsive to me, which can help last-second suicide bombings

It's a matter of personal preference and experience, I think. If you have more exposure to a (keyboard/controller) than your opponent, but you're limited to the one you've got less practice at, then yes there will be a difference.

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
I use a controller for most of the games. I do use the keyboard for 13.5; I like the layout on the keyboard better then I do on the controller. I blame MUGEN.

Just a Xbox 360 controller. Nothing fancy.

Nope, just the one attached to this laptop.

I can't deny the certain...precision or something...of using the keyboard, but the controller is a lot more comfortable. Though the keyboard is faster for the fighters, in my experience.

Nope.
I finally got my first Normal 1cc. ReimuA, TD.
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.
Currently playing: Nothing until ESO is out.

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
A controller. 

I use a Xbox 360 controller

--

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Both are equally good

Not at all.
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:27 AM »
Keyboards!  Always! (I have experimented with PS3 Controllers and it really didn't work out for me  :ohdear:)

beep boop, I'm a robot!  :robot_smilie_face:

The Keyboards I use now are all mechanical!  :3
I used to play with normal, bog-standard rubber-dome keyboards for months (until about after I'd just finished lunatic 1ccing all the games) before buying a mechanical keyboard and trying it out (this was back in June 2012 I believe).  The first one I got was a "FC200RL/AB Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Force Keyboard" which uses Black switches and which I still use today  :derp:
Using a mechanical keyboard was a massive improvement over rubber-dome!  The feel is great and the control that you have when using a mechanical keyboard is absolutely unparalleled by standard rubber-dome.
Also, with mechanicals you can get N-Key rollover  :3  Not being able to press shift, z and move properly was a problem I used to have when I was a beginner on some of my home normal keyboards :blush:
I've now gotten a "FKBN105M/UKB2, UK Filco Majestouch-2, NKR, Tactile Action Keyboard" which uses Brown switches because I was very amazingly stupid when I got my first mechanical in that I blindly bought one without making sure it had a UK layout!   (Which means when I play Touhou with my Leopold, there's no \| key inbetween the z and shift, and the @ and " keycap hints are switched, the enter key is tiny, and all sorts of silly little Americanisms  :( hehe)
The Browns play really well too, and they're sweet for typing  :3

I personally don't think any method of input is superior.
There're players who can play super amazingly WR-and-higher-tier well using gamepads and other controllers, as well as some who play with other keyboard orientations (such as using the wasd for movement rather than the arrow keys!!) and they play perfectly well!
In the end I think it's best to play with whatever you are MOST COMFORTABLE  WITH CURRENTLY!!!  This means that if you're playing with your keyboard currently, and are not familiar with joysticks etc. I would recommend against learning how to play from scratch with another type of controller.  You can be just as good with any controller, so keep honing your skills on the one you're already most comfortable with rather than 'wasting' time learning another!
(If you're on a keyboard, consider trying out mechanicals as their pressing feel and control is a lot more comfortable than rubber-dome :P)

No!
Definitely not!
There're super duper freaking amazing players who use controllers and likewise on keyboards.
The input isn't the decider of skill and skillcap, it's the player. (unless you're using a rubber-dome keyboard, in which case, consider switching to mechanical!!)
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »
I use a keyboard, though I'm trying to get into a stick for the fighters.

If I get around to it, I use a modded MadCatz WWE All-Stars Brawlstick for the fighters. Featuring Sanwa parts and a Remilia decal! :D

A Microsoft SideWinder X4. It's not mechanical, but it's pretty good; the keys feel nice and are good for typing, too.

Keyboard for the shmups. If I use a keyboard for the fighters with my current config, I'll get arthritis at some point. I know I can change it, but I might have someone come over to my house and play with me and that'll be complicated.

It depends on the person.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »
Most of the japanese good players use the Sega Saturn pad or a PS2 horipad.
I personally prefer a mechanical keyboard with red switches.

Zil

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
In the end I think it's best to play with whatever you are MOST COMFORTABLE  WITH CURRENTLY!!!  This means that if you're playing with your keyboard currently, and are not familiar with joysticks etc. I would recommend against learning how to play from scratch with another type of controller.  You can be just as good with any controller, so keep honing your skills on the one you're already most comfortable with rather than 'wasting' time learning another!
I disagree. After a year of using a keyboard I started practicing with a controller and I think that was advantageous for me.

I also disagree with people saying controllers and keyboards are perfectly equal / entirely up to preference. Each has some advantages over the other, some of which are pretty much indisputable. Ideally I think a player should be proficient with both.

e: To clarify, I think Naut described it pretty damn well.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:19:30 PM by Zil »

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »
I disagree. After a year of using a keyboard I started practicing with a controller and I think that was advantageous for me.

I also disagree with people saying controllers and keyboards are perfectly equal / entirely up to preference. Each has some advantages over the other, some of which are pretty much indisputable. Ideally I think a player should be proficient with both.

e: To clarify, I think Naut described it pretty damn well.
Fair enough,

I've found using a controller made playing a lot harder for me, and switching between keyboard and controller for a week showed to me that I'd have to spend a long while getting used to a controller to reach the same level as when I play on the keyboard, time I believe would be better spent playing with what I'm most proficient with already.  I'd probably chalk it up to me mostly only playing games on the PC with a keyboard, having very little experience with controllers  :wat:.

I'd agree that it's best for a person to be proficient in both, but I'd say that unless you start reaching a high level in these games you shouldn't need to worry about whether you're using a keyboard or controller  :3.
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
Keyboard

nope. just your standard qwerty keyboard.

depends on what you prefer.

again, depends on what you prefer.