Author Topic: PoFV Tournament!  (Read 3759 times)

Zil

PoFV Tournament!
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
STGrillz is running another PoFV tournament, so y'all best get your asses in gear!

Info and sign up: http://stgrillz.appspot.com/pofv Read everything! Especially the rules! The last one in particular!

To summarize, the tourney will start on Saturday, Nov 9, and will once again be round robin style. You'll need to show up at the IRC channel #pofvgrillz on irc.rizon.net to set up your matches. Please make sure you can do this and get netplay working well before the tournament actually starts. It's also the easiest place to ask any questions and discuss things in general (not that you can't ask questions here, of course).

BRACKETS:
Main tourney: http://challonge.com/PowerPofvGrillz3
Medicine tourney: http://challonge.com/PowerPofvGrillz3_BONUS

Some important links:
Pastebin explaining adonis and netplay. The links in it are now dead though.
adonis
adonis 2
vpatch
hamachi

Questions, comments, etc. Go ahead and post 'em. At the very least it would be nice to hear peoples opinions on the possible Reimu ban.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:08:45 PM by Zil »

Re: PoFV Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
Hype. Amazing video. :V

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
I want to join this but I wonder if my schedule will allow me to. -_-

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
 I kinda wanna join this but I've never tried PoFV netplay and am not sure if can do it. Anybody willing to test with me sometime?

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
I kinda wanna join this but I've never tried PoFV netplay and am not sure if can do it. Anybody willing to test with me sometime?
I'd be willing to. I've never used netplay for PoFV either.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
you guys can always join #pofvgrillz and ask for assistance there. everyone there has used netplay before
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:52:07 PM by Sakurei »

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, what's the reason for banning Reimu ?

Definitely going to participate anyway, this looks fun. :)

Zil

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
She's pretty much the best so everyone uses her. That also kind of forces anyone who wouldn't have used her to do so anyway, or else they'll be at a serious disadvantage. Then there's no obvious "second favorite" as far as I can tell, so banning her would increase the variety significantly (as opposed to everyone just opting for the next best character). That's why I'm leaning in favor of it, anyway.

Also yeah, going to #pofvgrillz and just asking for help would be the easiest way to have netplay explained to you, and to just play casual matches, etc. Especially if you're new to it, you should try to play a lot before the tourney, since the latency takes some getting used to.

chum

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I don't get that. I find Komachi and Marisa the hardest/best.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
Interesting because it seems in recent times, Marisa dominates Japanese tournaments just as much as Reimu. But if Reimu alone is dominant in the West alright I guess.

Zil

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:22:59 PM »
I think Marisa's "endgame," if you will, rivals Reimu's, but with netplay latency, nobody's getting to endgame.

chum

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
Banning Reimu wouldn't hurt if she's really that overused, but I definitely disagree with any notion that she's the best character (even in high latency games)

It's all down to opinion, I suppose. Still, if banning her brings about more variety, I'm all for it.

fallensoul

• Bad maajan player
  • Beware. Lolicon.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »
I really think that Komachi is even more broken than Reimu at high latency. Just saying.

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »
Just two questions: Are we really required to set the control type to FULL - SIDE 1P?

If so, can we use something like JoyToKey to map the keys to the gamepad buttons?

I'm only asking because setting the control type to FULL - SIDE 1P (as per the pastebin) disables the gamepad buttons.

I *might* participate, but I'm not too accustomed on Lunatic difficulty....and there's also the fact that I live in Europe (not an issue because of lag, but maybe because of timezone differences).

Zil

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
No. You can set it to PAD1 or whatever. In fact, I have it set to that even though I'm using a keyboard now and it still works. I think the important thing is just that it not be set to left or right. For whatever reason.

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
All right then.

Forgot to mention: I'd only be able to play on weekdays from 6 PM to 10 PM UTC+0 (7 PM to 11 PM for me).

Zil

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »
Reminder that the tournament has now started, so try to play some matches as soon as you can.

I've edited the brackets into the first post.