Author Topic: Did your fave Touhou character change over time?  (Read 19898 times)

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Did your fave Touhou character change over time?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
I'm not sure how I ended up with Utsuho as my favorite. I think my first favorite was Flandre though.

However I am bound by legal contract to change my favorite soon though...

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
My favorite touhou changed every week.

So instead I make a list of touhous I DON'T like, only by pure awesome can they rise from their pathetic ranks.

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
It's been Wriggle for quite some time. Before that I'm not sure if I even had favorites. Youmu has come to be a close second as well.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
I drew my top ten Touhou characters back in '08. Referencing that, my top three were, in descending order: Shikieiki, Meiling, Reisen. When I started to get into the PC-98 series, Yumemi quickly shot up to the top spot, fought with Shikieiki a bit, and eventually settled for second. And when UFO was released, Byakuren went up the ranks in a very short time as well.

Meanwhile, Meiling and Reisen have long since fallen off of the top twenty.

So yeah, I guess while my top character didn't change, everyone else did. /shrug

Jelly Belly

• Magical dessert
  • am i a danmaku now
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »
Sakuya -> Nitori -> Namazu/Catfish -> Momiji
Wolves heck yeah!  :V

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:27 AM »
Ran -> Udonge -> the Earth Palace crew -> Nazrin

For the longest time, I had been aware of Touhou, but had ne real interest in it; Ran was the catalyst that caused me to begin investigating further. When I found that there really wasn't a whole lot to her character, my interest waned. She's probably just outside my top 10 currently.

Udonge captured my interest because I liked her personality. Also, Inaba 4koma's. Still in my top 5, only more recent favorites displaced her.

There seems to be a correlation between how much I like characters and how often they (or their stages) beat me up; I guess I shouldn't be surprised, then, given how long my SA 1cc was in coming, that I developed a fondness for Satori and co. This period was rather brief, as UFO came out shortly thereafter, which leads us to:

Nazrin. I can't say just why I like Naz, but I do. It wasn't immediately when I started playing UFO that Nazrin became my fave, but neither did it take all that long.

As for other characters that have moved up in my rankings significantly since I first met them:
-It took me a while to warm up to Eirin after getting to know Udonge. In turn, her mysterious connection with Sakuya eventually caused the latter to rise up through the ranks.
-Meiling, due mostly to that one flash. You know the one.
-I seem to be taking an interest in Patchy recently, but then I've always been fascinated with the Japanese elements. Additionally, the recent Rika's Garage contest reminded me of Koakuma's existence; we'll see where that goes.
-Shou. Association with Nazrin was probably a large factor here. Curvy lasers can go diaf.
-Suwako, now that I've actually played MoF extra.
-Most recently, Ichirin, due in no small part to a few 'Booru pics of her without her hood. Too bad she takes second seat to Unzan most o' the time.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 07:28:17 AM »
Yukari will always be my favorite.

But Utsuho, Byakuren and Meiling randomly jumped up my favorites list at one point.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
Before MoF, Flandre and Mokou were my two top favorites. Then later MoF came out and Suwako jumped to the top spot. She's still my favorite, but not by a large margin to others that have joined the upper echelons: Yumemi, Nazrin, and Nue. Though I have a lot of people that hover pretty close to the top as well (which I started listing but stopped as the list got too large, derp.)

I drew my top ten Touhou characters back in '08. Referencing that, my top three were, in descending order: Shikieiki, Meiling, Reisen. When I started to get into the PC-98 series, Yumemi quickly shot up to the top spot, fought with Shikieiki a bit, and eventually settled for second. And when UFO was released, Byakuren went up the ranks in a very short time as well.

I think the only chance any new characters have at getting the top spot is if Shiki Eika becomes canon somehow. :3
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »
I believe my favourite curve went like this:

Sakuya -> Alice -> Reisen -> Remilia -> Alice -> Flandre -> Marisa -> Mokou -> Reimu -> Mokou -> Nue -> Shikieiki -> Byakuren -> Aya -> CURRENTLY Nue.

Note that this is just a rough chart. There's probably a lot more shifts between old favourites.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »
While it's interesting to see that people's favorites changed, I'm personally more interested in the "how" and "why" those changes occured. It's interesting to see what people base their favorites on.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Y'know, I'd go on about who my original favourites were, and how they've changed over time, but... My top five had pretty much always been Wriggle, Yuka, Yumemi, Rin Satsuki and Meiling.  Either I'm boring or I just don't get the same feelings from newer characters that I do from them.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Toasty

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 07:14:14 AM »
My fave touhou is temporarily Hina.

So make that another change.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16:01 AM »
Watashi namae wa Hong Meirin~

Shou/Meiling/Marisa/Ran are all pretty top for me right now. They all tend to fluctuate. Except Meiling.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »
i don't really have a favorite. too many to choose.

i lean twords the touhous that just play around a lot. like Suika, Yuugi and Suwako. the only characters i don't like are the ones that i barely know anything about, namely the early-stage PC98 characters.

if i had to make a list, i guess either Suwako or the Komeiji sisters would be on top.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
I didn't have a "Set" favorite character, until Byakuren came around. So yeah, can't say it has changed.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »
I'm in Slaves' boat. I like the playful happy-go-lucky characters, but ones with more depth underneath like Suwako. On the surface Suwako is an energetic playful girl, but underneath is a god that has seen over 2000 years of the world's history unfold, once ruled a kingdom, and is now currently living out the rest of her days with an acceptance of the fact that there's always an end to things. That's awesome. Also she's cute, zettai ryouiki, can pull off a number of different personality archetypes well, etc.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
Whoevers got the best skirt or is the best loli's got my devotion!

Seriously: I started out as a huge Keine fan. That later spread to Tewi/Reisen. Then to become Reimu for quite a long while. I don't have a number 1 spot for a Touhou character. I like them all. Well, almost all of them.

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »
Marisa & Patchouli>Remilia & Flandre> Sakuya>Mei Ling> Nitori> Reisen & Twei> Momiji, Shiki, Aya, Cirno

I can't really just stick to one character >.>
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:26:22 PM by Gofure »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
Any of you all feel like sharing "why" these girls became your favorite(s) instead of just a string of names, please do feel free.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
Any of you all feel like sharing "why" these girls became your favorite(s) instead of just a string of names, please do feel free.
Utsuho struck me as particularly awesome when I was first getting into Touhou. Her theme also seemed to help the image.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Toasty

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »

Well, my favorite is currently hina due to facial expressions like this and this. If you can't tell, I used a silly criteria just so I could have a favorite touhou. :|

All the previous ones were based on either "I can relate to that" or "zomg in love".

dustyjo

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Mokou because car

Ran because she is perfect.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
Patchy is very cute, and she was somewhat like me in the old days. Now she is just like my imouto. Perfectly.

Sanae... well Sanae. I got to love her after a dream where I dreamed about her and I felt an emotion what I never felt before, and I was unable to feel that emotion again. I only know, it was a divine emotion, beyond all happiness. I identified that as "being in love". After that, she also quickly became more and more of my favorite, thanks to the new "awesome crazy otaku who wants to meet with special people, but still being nice and a good girl" personality of her, what matches my current personality.

For the Fairies, dunno, something about wings, flying, freedom, one with nature, childish purity.

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
My favorite character was and still is Reisen. I've always been drawn towards the sensible, straight-man types of characters, and she has a compelling backstory and neat abilities. Mokou and Keine are also fairly high on my list, since I started off with IN and got attached to them. I used to like Patchouli quite a lot as a fellow bibliophile, and she's fallen a bit but is still near the top.

After PoFV, I liked Aya because of her free-spirited personality, and Medicine after going through her story route and finding her mannerisms really cute. Yuugi and Parsee grew on me after being stuck on stages 1-3 of SA for a while, and Orin later during stage 5. Also, hardworking kasha moe~

No one really stood out to me in the PC-98 games until I got around to MS. Luize's character design looked cute, so I investigated the wiki and found out that she was just a tourist (then immediately felt bad for beating her up). I also like Kana Anaberal out of the PoDD characters, though I can't really say why.

After UFO, Byakuren and Kogasa immediately went up on my list, and it hasn't changed much since then. I would go on more about why I like those two, but I think I've used enough space already (ーー; )

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »
As for my Favourite Character, I never really had one before SA, when Utsuho became it. That hasn't changed since, and the only real reason I like her is because Im a sucker to the whole Nuclear Power thing. Yeah, she's overrated and all that, but still.

I've always quite liked Shikieiki though. I just like her character design and backstory, so she's always remained my #2 favourite character.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »
Mine has pretty much always been the Gap trio. I eargasmed to Necrofantasia for a week upon looking up the strongest bosses in Touhou, which led me to download PCB and beat its Extra and Phantasm stages before I could even 1CC SA Normal (Phantasm is still easier than most of the games on Normal mode to me). Patchouli, Byakuren, and the Komeji sisters are also pretty awesome. I don't find too many of the PC-98 characters interesting, since they have no background information and such :|

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
Wriggle has consistently been my favorite for a while. She's irresistibly cute to me for some reason though I I have no idea why.
When she appeared in Imperishable Night I was all "OMG SHE'S ADORABLE I WANT TO HUG HER SO BADLY!!!!!  :getdown:" .

My second favorite has switched between Keine, Yuyuko, and recently Kogasa every so often though again I don't know why.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 12:07:55 AM »
While it's interesting to see that people's favorites changed, I'm personally more interested in the "how" and "why" those changes occured. It's interesting to see what people base their favorites on.

This was actually kinda what I was hoping to ask with the op lol. I was curious if people found their faves changed to something for similar reasons as I can sorta see Remi trying to grow on me.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
Although none of them replaces the best Kappa in Touhou in my fan heart I think there are a couple of standard reasons.
1. A new game comes out (or you just start playing another one) and you are introduced to another set of characters. For example I think I am becoming something of a Shou fan and since she didn't exist on my horizon until I played UFO It would make sense that she rose to take a place in my almost favorites.
2.Being a Touhou fan means looking over fan works and if a good one comes across you may start to understand and like a certain character better. I think the same thing is happening with me and Sanae since I am really digging a couple of remixes to her theme.
3.One's personality subtly changes and one girl's hook appeals better now.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
The prominent reason why I'm part of the minority who adores PC-98 characters is because I like their designs. A lot. What can I say? I'm an artist. To me, outward appearance can easily be as much of a deciding factor on whether I'll like a character or not as their actual "character" - background, history, personality, what have you. A character's design plays a major part in first impression, and that's when you'll decide whether or not you're interested enough in this character that you would want to learn more about them, and as a result, like them more. I also find that "design" goes hand-in-hand with "character," meaning if I really like a character, I'll end up liking both of these aspects of that character, regardless of which one I started liking first. Of course, there are borderline cases. For example, I really do think that Sanae looks attractive, but I've never worked with the actual possibilities of her position as a character, and so, at this point, I'd consider her no more than eye candy (apologies to Sanae fans everywhere :ohdear:). But enough of that.

As far as Touhou goes, Marisa Kirisame was the first character that I can honestly say I've taken a liking to beyond just pretty pictures. Not only for how impressive her Master Spark is, but her overall attitude, occupation, and associated musical pieces. It didn't take me long, however, to start looking at the PC-98-era characters. Once I came across PoDD, a certain Yumemi Okazaki caught my attention. From there, she quickly overtook Marisa as my most favorite Touhou character (I'm not so sure how this happened myself, but I suspect part of it has to do with my soft spot for the PC-98 cast altogether). Almost  a whole year has passed, and this position hasn't changed ever since. Despite the fandom being considerably more generous to the former in terms of exposure to fanworks, she still remains on top, while Marisa is still strong on second.

In the end, I don't think I can explain in detail why I truly like certain characters and not others. I could always say "I like her because I really like her design," or "her theme sounds awesome," but I know there'll always be something more to it.