Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 415486 times)

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: vampire ZUN and Legend of Zelda
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
Aya is Marisa now?

...I just realized that her name could be considered confusing in a Touhou context.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
Here's the cover of this month's Comp Ace magazine (source: Amazon):

From a commercial perspective (i.e. the perspective of people who holds great power over many comic artists, but not over ZUN), this actually matters: not counting Inaba and Inaba, it's the first time a major Touhou Project story has ever been featured on the cover of a magazine it's being serialized in.

Spoilers for this chapter (WARNING: contains a surprise on a much higher level than Kogasa can ever create):

Spoiler:
- Another "first part", ensuring we can get a "second part" next month.
-Spread page: Remilia, Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Aya, Kasen and Yuuka.
- Spring, Lily White, and Tokiko the book-reading youkai, who wasn't eaten by Reimu and Marisa after all
- Akyuu visits Suzunaan for the recent incident: liquor is disappearing from bottles
- Remilia is looking for a rare animal to adopt as her pet
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:32:03 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
Spoiler:
It's nice that Forbidden Scrollery is at least cameoing (if not more) some of the more forgotten characters.  With Tokiko and Yuuka (from last chapter) appearing again, I guess there aren't any other particularly egregious cases left to my knowledge, besides the PC-98 series of course.

It is still possible that Tokiko was eaten but just got better. Even if we assume the Mystia Yuyuko om nom nom was just a joke (which it may or may not have been), Perfect Memento explicitly states "*Youkai have stronger bodies than humans, so even if they're split into five parts, they heal right away.", which does leave open the possibility of eating a youkai without killing it. ...or maybe I'm just saying this because the thought of a youkai being eaten and digested and then later on saying "I got better!" is hilarious.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:24:13 PM by Tiamat »

« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »
Spoiler:
And thus is explained why Gensokyo shall never have a food shortage.

« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55:06 AM »
Anyone coould provide us with any info that ZUN might have slipped in Nikenme interview? I was really hoping taht there would be sth about Touhou 14  :(

cuc

« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »
The Nikenme broadcast yesterday was rather uninteresting, except for hearing the sound of ZUN talking with food in his mouth. No Touhou 14 info leaked!

If I'm not mistaken, those are the buttons handed out by PoriPori Club during the previous special event, including a pixelated ZUN:

EDIT: ZUN said during this broadcast that he sleeps 8 hours a day on average. I guess this might have balanced out the adverse effects of those sleepless nights he spent writing and making games?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:23:18 PM by cuc »

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »
nice to meet you  :)

Here is the cover of 13.5 and new character(boss) on cover 

http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=39859

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Spoiler:
It's nice that Forbidden Scrollery is at least cameoing (if not more) some of the more forgotten characters.  With Tokiko and Yuuka (from last chapter) appearing again, I guess there aren't any other particularly egregious cases left to my knowledge, besides the PC-98 series of course.

It is still possible that Tokiko was eaten but just got better. Even if we assume the Mystia Yuyuko om nom nom was just a joke (which it may or may not have been), Perfect Memento explicitly states "*Youkai have stronger bodies than humans, so even if they're split into five parts, they heal right away.", which does leave open the possibility of eating a youkai without killing it. ...or maybe I'm just saying this because the thought of a youkai being eaten and digested and then later on saying "I got better!" is hilarious.
Spoiler:
The unnerving part is whether or not that means youkai can regenerate inside your stomach, or worse, bloodstream...
Spoiler:
But since Reimu and Marisa haven't exploded thus far it's probably nothing to worry about.

cuc

« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
nice to meet you  :)

Here is the cover of 13.5 and new character(boss) on cover 

http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=39859
Thanks! The original source of your news could very well be me.

Today is the first day of NicoNico Super Conference. I'm told ZUN was seen sitting alone in his ZUN Beer booth and drinking, looking quite upbeat. ZUN is doing a live broadcast at the moment; tomorrow, the Reitaisai "Super Condensed Version" will accompany him; the day after tomorrow, the COMIC1 doujin event where a certain circle will release a new trailer, and someone here is bound to make a Frontpage thread about it; the day after, the biannual doujin music event M3.

The 8 main Touhou games will be playable at the event tomorrow. ZUN has previously given some hints in the broadcasts that we may see the Reitaisai 1 "Spell Card Attack! 夜は素敵に永遠に" (The Wonderful Night Becomes Forever) version of PCB, where the Phantasm dialog has been changed to "playing with Yukari during a festival", and the song "Charming Domination ~ Speed Fox" first appeared. If true, it'll be that game's 2nd public appearance after 7 years, quite a sight to behold.

I'll try my best to keep you updated here. Stay tuned or whatever.

EDIT: ZUN's twitter from April 26 morning, at the start of the con:
You can see me who has been weakened by the onslaught of game development at the con. Please don't bully me.

The booth at night:
http://pic.twitter.com/9BUGaiSbCc
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:21:25 AM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
The NicoNico Super Conference is in session now. The Self-Defense Force has brought their new tank. The prime minister is also scheduled to visit the con.

Namco's popular rhythm game Taiko Drum Master has some Touhou songs exclusive to the con, and many people are playing "Knight of Nights".

ZUN playing Taiko Drum Master:
http://twitpic.com/cm5xp6

The front of the ZUN Beer booth (who's the Westerner?):
http://twitpic.com/cm5ze7

His beer is reported to be fragrant, bitter yet sweet, and has a good after-taste (the amber one is ZUN's).
https://twitter.com/maycat/status/327962468771037184/photo/1

Mug sold separately:
http://pic.twitter.com/QJZxjIw1A2

ITMedia has a pic of the outset of the booth:
http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1304/27/news009.html

CNET article:
http://japan.cnet.com/news/offtopic/35031440/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:24:43 AM by cuc »

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2013, 04:58:09 AM »
Spoiler:
It is still possible that Tokiko was eaten but just got better. /spoiler]
What...?

Thanks in advance!

cuc

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2013, 05:01:33 AM »
What...?

Thanks in advance!
It's a running joke in the fandom.
Spoiler:
Tokiko is a crested ibis youkai, and in the next chapter, Reimu and Marisa cooked and ate a crest ibis stew. "They ate Tokiko!"
What makes the joke work (and perhaps intentional on ZUN's part) is the fact that
Spoiler:
crested ibis is not some random unremarkable bird, but a famously endangered species which appears in Gensokyo en masse for this reason.

EDIT:
Something something the culmination of Nico Nico history something:
http://twitpic.com/cm7kwa
For people unfamiliar with Japanese internet memes: the muscular man is Billy Herrington. "His wrestling clips with homoerotic undertones were used for bait-and-switch similar to rickrolling", and soon turned into a part of Nico Nico culture. Not depicted: him picking ZUN up in his arms.

4chan's moot pays ZUN a visit:
http://twitpic.com/cm7v0e

EDIT2:
During the con, ZUN has drunk this much beer:
http://twitpic.com/cm889m

And now he's in the after-party, drinking through the night, one pub after another...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:03:04 PM by cuc »

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
And still no Touhou 14 info... :(

cuc

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
Something I totally missed: during the Nico Nico Super Conference, the Kadokawa Group booth gave out some nice FS freebies: a B3-sized poster with the Chapter 6 spread page art, and a bookmark with new art.

https://twitter.com/comptiq/status/327804018778861570/photo/1/large
https://twitter.com/comptiq/status/328336394667843585/photo/1

So Harukawa in fact drew the 4 fairies for the spread, but in the magazine they've been covered up by text.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:52:35 PM by cuc »

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »
You also missed the new Memories of Phantasm trailer, which says that a full version one, just like the PCB one, wil be shown probably on Reitaisai - this time covering the events of EoSD. Link here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-6Zh2NR63k

(if there is any other info, I'll appreciate it, I can't read Japanese )

« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »
That's not really a ZUN status update though? I know a lot of people get excited by fanime, but it's not like they're more important than other random doujin. This thread is about ZUN and the stuff he makes himself (or along with others).

cuc

« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2013, 04:26:26 AM »
To be honest, I still feel strange about reporting all the shenegians ZUN got himself into. A few years ago when I first heard of him, the impression I had of him was a humble man who didn't care for fame and publicity. Yet in recent two to three years, he has taken to promoting himself, turning part of his life into an internet nerd celebrity act.

The truth is, ZUN hasn't changed. He's still a humble man who won't hesitate sharing a drink with anyone. He had just made a conscious decision that there's a need to promote himself, to perhaps, inspire other people to become creators themselves, which he called "the author's responsibility" in the recent interview.

Anyway, however ZUN chose to entertain his Japanese fans, I'll try to ensure people reading this thread do not miss it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:49:26 AM by cuc »

« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
In my opinion Zun is just enjoying himself, as you said, plus making his own image a bit more noticed.  Back there people knew what touhou project was, but barely knew its creator.  He's meeting with the fans more and having the creator x player interaction many people wanted.

By the way, thank you very very much for keeping us updated Cuc.  You're amazing!

« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
The truth is, ZUN hasn't changed. He's still a humble man who won't hesitate sharing a drink with anyone. He had just made a conscious decision that there's a need to promote himself, to perhaps, inspire other people to become creators themselves, which he called "the author's responsibility" in the recent interview.

Its a good decision to make. Its harder to influence others without being known.

« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »
Getting impatient about touhou 14 news haha, did Zun confirm he's working on it and that it's coming? I'm checking his blog everyday for updates on the demo since Reitaisai is around the corner..

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2013, 02:05:51 AM »
(EDITED)

I have a feeling touhou 14's announcement/screenshots/stuff will be displayed at Zun's blog by Sunday 19, but that's just me. That's because he usually does this 1 week before reitaisai.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:15:04 AM by Magic Magica ~★ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:07 AM »
Thats true.. it's always a week before, guess being there for 4 releases wasn't enough to make me remember that >.<

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »
I think 13 was revealed about a month before the demo was on sell at Comiket...

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »
I think 13 was revealed about a month before the demo was on sell at Comiket...

Nope. The game was announced by ZUN in his blog on 28th February 2011. Reitaisai 8 was originally scheduled on 2011-03-13, but rescheduled to 2011-05-08 due to Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. In other words, ZUN still announced the game in the blog 1 week before Reitaisai, meaning that it was originally going to be sold on the following week, if it wasn't for the disaster.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:12:00 PM by Magic Magica ~★ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
That's about two weeks, but yeah, I get what you mean.  Must've remembered the date he announced that game wrong...  And yes, I am aware of the earthquake and postponing.

Thanks for clearing things up!

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
Yeah, sorry... my math failed here for a moment, lol.

But anyway... what really matters is that ZUN still announced it just some days before Reitaisai. And it's safe to say the same will happen to touhou 14, so... chances we will see it on his blog either sunday 12 or 19 are quite high, depending on ZUN's will.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2013, 04:42:37 AM »
Or maybe I remembered the date of March's Reitaisai wrong, thinking it's at the end of that month or something...

cuc

« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
Touhou 13.5 new version "rev2" released. It features various bugfixes, code improvements (including net code) and small tweaks, bring some parts of the game code up to date with the finalized version.

cuc

« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
I said I'll translate forum posts about ZUN's manga writing and why he chose Harukawa. There's no real source about the latter topic; all that exist are meaningless gossips. On the former topic, the Japanese forums do discuss how ZUN writes manga a lot, but the more they discuss, the more confused themselves seem to have become. Nonetheless, certain things appear to have some basis in reality.

The summary below is based on ZUN's twitter, some Touhou fans' tweets, and forum posts. The Japanese fans may have got some of their info from previous Nikenme Radio broadcasts.

- First, ZUN writes the script of a manga chapter. He calls it プロット using the English word "plot", and sometimes refers to it as 原稿 "manuscript".

- This so-called "plot" actually contains extremely detailed instruction on everything, to a degree rarely seen in the manga business. People have advised him it's unnecessary, and he should have left things for the artists to decide, but he wouldn't listen.

- His effort is such that he even designed all the extra kappa girls in WaHH himself. It's highly likely that all the character cameos in manga are arranged by ZUN, so you should never question their canonicity again.

- Having finished the "plot", he attends a 打ち合せ "business meeting" with his editor and artist in a pub. According to Harukawa's comment on the FS Vol. 1 jacket, even her pen name was decided upon in a pub.

- After the script is delivered, ZUN falls into radio silence. He does not oversee the creation of the art at all, no phone call to the editor or the artist. Regarding how this chapter turns out, he would prefer to wait and see the magazine himself.

- Another thing to note: Generally ZUN calls his writing work for book publishers 仕事 meaning "work" in the sense of "doing the job", and his own game-making 作業 meaning the operation/process of working.

==================

Some info from March 28's Nikenme Radio:

- When talking about times of the day suitable for game development, ZUN quoted the famous opening passages of the Pillow Book: "In summer, the night is the best. In spring, the morning."
- WaHH Vol. 3's release date was set to July because they needed to manufacture the figurine.
- When he was a child, ZUN used to do some cleaning work for shrine(s) and Buddhist temple(s) on Sunday morning. The monks gave him a lot of things, so he liked  the temple(s).
- He likes the Heart Sutra, using its chanting as background music.
- Lord of Vermilion 3 (that collectible card arcade game  from Square Enix) will have ZUN's collaboration again, most likely meaning it'll feature more Touhou character cards with flavor text written by him. By the way, Yuuichi Tanzawa appears to be a project lead on this game.

From April 24's Nikenme Radio:

- One year ago, ZUN wanted to get in touch with new things, and tried to play Puzzle & Dragons (highest-grossing mobile game of the world). These kinds of 作業ゲー (games that demand so much time they may as well be work) are not to his taste.
- Okonogi (his editor) wondered why both ZUN and his wife love frogs. [ki-san really, really loves frogs.] ZUN said: "I love frogs. They are delicious."
- At the end, ZUN said: "This time I'm going to cinema, for real!" He haven't been going out much due to developing the new game, you know.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:35:53 PM by cuc »

« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
- His effort is such that he even designed all the extra kappa girls in WaHH himself. It's highly likely that all the character cameos in manga are arranged by ZUN, so you should never question their canonicity again.

Hunh, that's interesting to know. Wonder if there are any symbolic touches put into any of them like ZUN puts into every other character. Although off the top of my head, they seem kinda similar to the three generic fairy maids and generic lunar rabbits in SSiB in some respects (or maybe it's just ZUN's tendency to always slap a meganekko in there that's making me think/recall this)