Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412833 times)

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: ZUN's baby will be born soon!
« Reply #750 on: May 04, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
Also I'm pretty sure we still don't know the name of his wife.

Well, this forum will now officially refer to her as:

ZUN's wife who is apparently a programmer and looks a helluva lot like Shameimaru.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #751 on: May 04, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
Well, this forum will now officially refer to her as:

ZUN's wife who is apparently a programmer and looks a helluva lot like Shameimaru.
howaboutno.gif

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #752 on: May 04, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
Also I'm pretty sure we still don't know the name of his wife.

Ki-san :trollface:

« Reply #753 on: May 04, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »
Ki-san :trollface:
ZUN isn't a real name either.

Unless his baby gets a screenname shortly after birth, which would be pretty impressive.

FLASH

• Still looking for the Hakurei shrine...
  • So close
« Reply #754 on: May 04, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »
woooooooooo late to the party on that one but.... Sooooooo Happy!!

Omedetou ZUN and wife!  :D

i'm gonna laugh real hard if his child is somehow not a little girl tough  :3

i don't think he'll name him/her after anything touhou related tough. that just doesn't seem like him (and probably whouldn't be a good idea anyway).

maybe the most we'll see is him writing a theme for him/her kinda like he composed his own theme song, but i even doubt that.

at any rate, this news made my day, so happy for him!  :)

maybe this is worthy of its own thread? this is big news, kinda like when he announced he was getting married

« Reply #755 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »
maybe the most we'll see is him writing a theme for him/her kinda like he composed his own theme song, but i even doubt that.

Newborn's Celebration - Na?ve Artifacts

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #756 on: May 05, 2014, 04:55:54 AM »
Him writing his babies lullaby would be like one of the sweetest things.  Also, the internet and fandom being what it is, would most likely turn it into the most fucking metal lullaby ever.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #757 on: May 05, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
Him writing his babies lullaby would be like one of the sweetest things.  Also, the internet and fandom being what it is, would most likely turn it into the most fucking metal lullaby ever.

Imagine if the lullaby is based off SA's Stage 5 music. Or for better effects, UN. Owen was Her?

« Reply #758 on: May 05, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »
Imagine if the lullaby is based off SA's Stage 5 music.

Lullaby of Inhabited Heaven

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #759 on: May 06, 2014, 05:22:56 PM »
I can imagine ZUN's baby being [nicknamed] Suika, seeing as her title is 'Little Pandemonium' which is exactly what a kid is.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #760 on: May 07, 2014, 03:22:52 AM »
Tidying this up a bit.  Sssgth, please refrain from shitting up threads in the future.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #761 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
Is he going to dress his son/daughter up in frilly skirts and dresses a la Franklin Delano Roosevelt?

« Reply #762 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
Tidying this up a bit.  Sssgth, please refrain from shitting up threads in the future.

Ok, but can we now refer to these things as Digital Bowel Movements?

« Reply #763 on: May 08, 2014, 10:27:32 AM »
If anything I've learnt in anime/manga is to go by, constantly associating children with their parents' jobs and expecting them to be the same, is a great way to let the children suffer from identity crisis.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #764 on: May 08, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
If anything I've learnt in having parents is to go by, constantly associating children with their parents' jobs and expecting them to be the same, is a great way to let the children suffer from identity crisis.
FTFY

Just like they say radicalism tends to skip generations. I think we're all happy for them both, but for whatever reason, I cannot see ZUN trying to cajole or push his child into taking up doujin gaming, being named after a 2hu, or whatever. Pure speculation on my part, but either way this is the healthiest approach to parenthood and expectations: don't project them onto your kid.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #765 on: May 08, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
With proper childrearing, it only becomes a problem when they have to write a report for school about what their dad's job is and suddenly he has to explain what dounjinshi are to an 8 year old. Or I guess he could just say he writes comics; that's technically true. Boring, boring comics that make no sense to anyone in that age group (I don't find them boring, I just can't imagine an 8 year old enjoying them).

« Reply #766 on: May 08, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
With proper childrearing, it only becomes a problem when they have to write a report for school about what their dad's job is and suddenly he has to explain what dounjinshi are to an 8 year old. Or I guess he could just say he writes comics; that's technically true. Boring, boring comics that make no sense to anyone in that age group (I don't find them boring, I just can't imagine an 8 year old enjoying them).

I can imagine it now:

"My daddy makes little girls shoot each other!"

*cue screaming*

"In video games."

*cue even more screaming*

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #767 on: May 20, 2014, 01:59:12 AM »
Apparently the upcoming Game Market 2014 Spring (June 1), a board game convention held at Tokyo Big Sight, will be greatly expanded from last year.

After that, he would definitely go to Retro Digital Game Expo 2014, a retro-focused convention by ZUN's friend D.N.A.

Whether he can actually go to these conventions, of course, depends on how much time he will allocate outside of caring for his wife and the newborn child.

A very quick catchup:

During Reitaisai 11, ZUN was happy to see there are more young people and women attending. He emphasized this during the interview in the after-party, and tweeted about it again.

He tweeted about beating Kero Blaster, the new game by Pixel, the author of Cave Story, which you should totally buy when you can.

On May 12, his wife had gone back to her hometown for preparation of giving birth, and he was alone again.

By now you should have heard of the hidden achievements in ISC. The descriptions of the 9 all-scene achievements with tools tell you to tweet a password at him, and the description for the final achievement - clearing all scenes without any tools - says you should meet him in person to give him the password "I have become the Ultimate Rule-Breaking Life Form". Not long after release, people have been reporting to him their success.

(At this moment, perhaps more than a dozen people around the world have obtained the final achievement.)

On May 14, the media giant (and publisher of several Touhou books) Kadokawa Group announced a merger with DWANGO, the company that operates NicoNico Douga. He tweeted: "Not long before all of my work partners become Kadokawa." The joke is that: 1) Kadokawa has been on a path of aggressive expansion for about a decade, buying up many companies in the subculture space; 2) Ichijinsha, the other publisher of official Touhou books, is negligible in the face of Kadokawa, and let's be honest, exactly the kind of company Kadokawa may want to swallow up.

On May 19, he started a trip to his wife's hometown in Naoetsu. It seems the time for the childbirth will come soon.

On the same day, we also witnessed a ZUN-puts-foot-in-his-mouth moment where he had to justify himself afterwards, which happens from time to time.

A few days ago, ASKA, one half of the musician duo CHAGE and ASKA, was arrested when he was found to possess "illegal stimulants". On his train trip, ZUN tweeted:

ZUN: I'm listening to music arrangement CDs I received in Reitaisai, and entertaining the fantasy that some of these musicians will be successful enough to be arrested for drug possession.

Thank you, what a nice thing to say.

ZUN: The strong reaction to my chitchat about drugs was surprising. To be straightforward, I look forward to some musicians selling really well. But no matter how successful your music is, if you rely on drugs for your next song, you are done for. You absolutely can't!

ZUN: You sure can rely on alcohol.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:07:26 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Drake

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: ZUN will be a father soon!
« Reply #768 on: May 20, 2014, 02:36:21 AM »
On May 12, his wife had gone back to her hometown for preparation of giving birth, and he was alone again.
Following this he was like "So how about I play a game then" and then posted a picture of a popular mechanical puzzle named "Hitoribocchi", or "loneliness". I died.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #769 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:44 AM »
During Reitaisai 11, ZUN was happy to see there are more young people and women attending. He emphasized this during the interview in the after-party, and tweeted about it again.

Get them into danmaku while they're young, keep them forever for a currently unspecified length of time.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #770 on: May 20, 2014, 03:07:35 AM »
Following this he was like "So how about I play a game then" and then posted a picture of a popular mechanical puzzle named "Hitoribocchi", or "loneliness". I died.

Omfg that's hilarious. At least he still has a great sense of humor it seems.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

« Reply #771 on: May 20, 2014, 04:38:05 AM »
So, basically:
"Drugs is forbidden! You must not fall for it!
...what, beer? That's totally A-OK."
Oh, ZUN.

ZUN said:
"I have become the Ultimate Rule-Breaking Life Form"
Now that's the final achievement from ISC that you can really brag about. Don't forget to wear a thong and strike a pose at dawn, while being upside-down.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:41:10 AM by monhan »

cuc

« Reply #772 on: May 21, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
Azuma has updated her homepage with the cover art of WaHH Vol. 4.

Continuing from the last topic... An angry internet dude kept shouting on twitter that ZUN should apology...

ZUN: Oh my, I'm sorry. Because of the recent tweet about drugs, somebody had reprimanded me. That tweet reads like I was saying that drugs are a good thing, which was not what I was trying to say. I'm deeply sorry about that m(__)m

ZUN: Alcohol is already very close to drugs... You must wait until you are 20.

He deliberately avoided the actual problem (making an offensive joke about fan musicians, even if he had no bad intention), and apologized for the wrong thing. The man is quite the passive-aggressive troll.

On another topic, Rodon John (author of Suwako's jumping game series) reported two of ISC's non-game-breaking bugs (continuing to the next day after saving Replay; Last Day's background issue at lower resolutions), and he said he might fix them if he had time.

As you may know, back in the good old days of pre-2005, ZUN participated in the fandom eagerly: he updated his games regularly, answered people's questions on his message board and by email. and contributed to doujin works. On the other hand, post-2005 ZUN once failed to patch a certain game even after being flamed and apologizing for game bugs - yeah, today is not the first time this "get flamed, apologize passive-aggressively" thing happened.

If he's seriously going to sell ISC overseas, he'd have to do much better than that. The game support part, not the trollish part.

...Next time I'll try to report something more inspiring. Like what he said during the period from BitSummit to Reitaisai.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:24:05 PM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #773 on: May 25, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
WAHH Vol. 4 will be released soon. Touhou Memory is keeping track of its store-specific bonus goods.

They haven't announced the return of the semiannual Akihabara Beer Fair. Instead, the official twitter of A-Button pub teased us with new Beerko art. They say they are imitating the Kantai Collection official twitter, which often shows small teasers for their new artwork.

Rodon John have made another bug report at ZUN: through his tests, he found that the Yin-Yang Orb doesn't seem to actually reduce your hitbox in ISC. We asked a shooting game expert; he said the Yin Yang Orb only affects laser bullets.

As the old saying goes, if you feel the Yin Yang Orb makes you more likely to survive against non-laser bullets, you are likely experiencing placebo effect.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:38:20 PM by cuc »

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #774 on: May 25, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »
Rodon John have made another bug report at ZUN: through his tests, he found that the Yin-Yang Orb doesn't seem to actually reduce your hitbox in ISC. We asked a shooting game expert; he said the Yin Yang Orb only affects laser bullets.

That's weird, there were a lot of Spell Card I couldn't beat every time I tried it, but when I used the Yin Yang Orb as a sub it was a lot easier to dodge and I really feel it reduced the hitbox... Maybe it was all psychological...

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #775 on: May 25, 2014, 11:59:27 PM »
That's weird, there were a lot of Spell Card I couldn't beat every time I tried it, but when I used the Yin Yang Orb as a sub it was a lot easier to dodge and I really feel it reduced the hitbox... Maybe it was all psychological...

Psychological or not, if it makes you dodge better (even if it's just your skills), why not? Helped me a lot despite wondering how I got hit despite it looking like it grazed me... but that just motivated me further.

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #776 on: May 26, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »
Psychological or not, if it makes you dodge better (even if it's just your skills), why not? Helped me a lot despite wondering how I got hit despite it looking like it grazed me... but that just motivated me further.
But it still kind of weird, for example, in Reimu's Spell Card Omikuji "Rule Violation Barrier" everytime I tried it without the Ying-Yang Orb, I failed to dodge and/or squeeze through the multicolored amulets and died, but when I used it I squeezed perfectly and even I could move inside the barrier of amulets to dodge the upcoming ones. That's why I find it weird.

Maybe it's not a General Bug of the game, and it's just a Bug that happens to certain people (?)

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #777 on: May 26, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »
It reduces the hitbox in a sense. It makes it look more "precise" this is only a visual effect, though.

I mean, even the player hitbox on Touhou games aren't pure hitbox. The orb makes it pure hitbox. (lol, this got kind of redundant...)

Sweetness and love~ ♥

cuc

Touhou Memory noticed that Ichijinsha has put all their Touhou manga: SSiB, Inaba/Inaba, and WaHH, including the newest Vol.4, on Japanese Kindle. These Kindle books will be released on May 27 along with WaHH Vol.4.

This isn't the most practical news for most people - buying Japanese Kindle books outside of Japan would require cheating Amazon using a Japanese IP (yeah, I know, some of you are already using one to play KanColle). But with this move, it no longer seems too far-fetched for us to expect seeing SaBND, OSP and FS on Kadokawa's Comic Walker free manga site/app.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:20:43 AM by cuc »

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
That image of WaHH 4, is that sunflower-loving youkai?
Mwahahahahha!