Author Topic: Things that make you different from most Touhou players  (Read 133406 times)

Re: Things that make you different from most Touhou players
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
6. I hate non-Touhou shooters
this isn't too much different than anyone else except... maybe 2 or 3 people

"Ikaruga sucks b/c memorization asdfghasfh"

Yes. Who aside of me have claimed that?

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
Donut.

And that's all the example you need.

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
I haven't even tried a non-touhou shooter. At least, never a danmaku one. They look boring anyway (I'm not very fond of mechs).

The only one I've really played is Darius Twin, which I've only played because it was some random challenge on another forum.

Does "The Adventures of Dino Riki" count as a shooter? I kinda liked it because of it's very relaxed atmosphere.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 07:04:10 PM »
I'd play more shooters if my comp could handle them. I have to run Shuusou Gyoku at 30 fps. =V

But apparently, I meet the system requirements of Samidare. Might try it, but after UFO comes out. I really should try running UFO at lower settings actually.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »
Donut.

And that's all the example you need.

When'd I say that? ??? I've hardly PLAYED any other shmups other than Touhou, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in any others. As sickening as it is, Dodonpachi actually looks kinda fun.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 02:08:23 AM »
The best non-Touhou shooter ever is Castle Shikigami 2, but only the American version.  Go onto youtube if you don't know why, and prepare for enlightenment.

I think LCMS is horribly overrated and just not a very good theme.  I think Marisa's best theme is The Witches' Ball ~ Magus, and if we're not counting Seihou I have to go with her PoFV theme.  The other three (four if you count Dancing Witches, but then you really have to count Magus) are really not very good. 

ESPECIALLY NOT CASKET OF STAR YEAH THAT'S RIGHT DONUT I WENT THERE

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 02:44:04 AM »
The best non-Touhou shooter ever is Castle Shikigami 2, but only the American version.  Go onto youtube if you don't know why, and prepare for enlightenment.

I actually own all three Shikigami no Shiro games localized.

The first one came over as... ugh... "Mobile Light Force 2".  And kept the cover of the original.  Which looks like Charlie's Angels.  Except it's not, and neither was the original (Can't remember which shmup got butchered to become MLF1).  But they literally cut out all dialogue - which sucks as 2 and 3 refer to events during 1 (I know at least one boss in 1 comes back for 3).

Of course, 2 was far better... but is also known for being as bad of a translation as Zero Wing.  I'm actually starting to make sense of it somewhat, but then "Slaves for Fashion Dislike Bulges".  Either way, need to play it more to unlock Free Play and then ride through the 2P Scenarios.

And then 3.  The Wii version is superior to the PC/Arcade in this case, partially because it was well-localized this time (Okay, script is still a bit... odd... but apparently it's supposed to be), and you can do a 2-Character story mode by yourself using Dynamic Change.  And having characters interact is lots of fun - from Fumiko trying to seduce Kohtaro... or Roger trying to win him over XD Plus there's stuff in the story you'll never find out with just one character.  But anyway, the danmaku's also pretty interesting here.

I'd actually say I enjoy Shikigami No Shiro almost on par with Touhou, but they're the only two Danmaku series that have personality, story, and character... that I've found, anyway.  And I'm a big RPG gamer at heart - I need my games to at least pretend to have that much.

As for what makes me different?  I usually prefer nonstandard characters - MarisaB in EoSD, SakuyaB in PCB, Sakuya/Remilia in IN, and MarisaB in SA.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:47:08 AM by Garlyle »

theshirn

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:47 AM »
Of course, 2 was far better... but is also known for being as bad of a translation as Zero Wing.  I'm actually starting to make sense of it somewhat, but then "Slaves for Fashion Dislike Bulges".  Either way, need to play it more to unlock Free Play and then ride through the 2P Scenarios.
Let's not forget "I am Kim, of two homes and seven moms!"

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
1. I hate the majority of SA. Stage one is boring, Parsee (that is, her battle, not her character) is annoying, HAET stage 3, HAET Yuugi (her battle, once more. I love her character to death) and stage 4 is like a poor man's PCB stage 4. Its also the only Touhou game where I've restricted myself to easy mode- I can't do anything passed stage 3 on any higher level.

2. ZUN's art has always been grating to me.

3. I think Yukkuris are cute.

4. I prefer the ZUN original music to the remixes. Doesn't help that a good chunk of remixes and arrangements tend to stink.

5. I find ESoD harder than MoF.

6. UFO is well on its way to being my (new) most hated Touhou game if ZUN didn't balance it out.

7. As with Ruro, I'm tired of the typical depictions of certain characters in fanworks.

8. Tsundere Alice is overused in fan works.

9. I think Meiling needs more moments of badassness.

10. I also play non-Touhou shmups.

11. I like MoF, even if Aya is BS.

12. I'm quite sure I could play Touhou a good ten times better than I am now if I had a gamepad. I have slower reaction times in the shumps than I really should and the fighting games are borderline unplayable and its driving me absolutely positively crazy-go nucking futs.

13. I find Kogasa sexy.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 10:36:12 AM »
2. ZUN's art has always been grating to me.
4. I prefer the ZUN original music to the remixes. Doesn't help that a good chunk of remixes and arrangements tend to stink.
6. UFO is well on its way to being my (new) most hated Touhou game if ZUN didn't balance it out.
7. As with Ruro, I'm tired of the typical depictions of certain characters in fanworks.
8. Tsundere Alice is overused in fan works.
9. I think Meiling needs more moments of badassness.

Actually, I think these thoughts are quite common among other Touhou players. Anyone who disagrees with the last one obviously hates Meiling.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:37:55 AM by Chainsaw Guitar »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
I think LCMS is horribly overrated and just not a very good theme.
I agree.  Please post on-topic
Although when you have three hundred stars distracting you so you can't concentrate on listening to it it's more acceptable.

I think Marisa's best theme is The Witches' Ball ~ Magus, and if we're not counting Seihou
?

Easy Mode

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 10:48:43 AM »
1. I have a vagina unit. And that's pretty rare. Even if there are a few girls or whatever.

2. I didn't like MoF. There. I said it.

3. I don't like the fighting spin offs, either.

4. I have never beat EoSD. Even on easy.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
"Ikaruga sucks b/c memorization asdfghasfh"
Hey, that just happens to be true. Ikaruga is mostly a memorizationfest at higher difficulties, if you want to pick an example of a good non-Touhou shmup pick DDP/DOJ or something. Anyway, on-topic:

1. Along with Donut and Baity, I've taken a great liking to HRtP and don't think it's a bad game.
2. I have very bad contrast sensitivity, and thus attacks that some people will find trivial like EX-Chen/Midboss Ran's noncard, or Hell's Tokamak become extremely difficult for me. This reaches absolutely stupid levels in UFO stage 2, where Kogasa's second noncard is basically a guaranteed autobomb for because I cannot see the bullets at all.
3. I extremely dislike playing for score, I find it one of the most boring things in the world.
4. I very much hate PCB Extra/Phantasm and any Extra stage post-IN. PCB Extra/Phantasm has a decent bossfight preceded by quite likely the worst stage portion in the series, and from MoF onwards ZUN seems to be designing the Extra stages the day before release while even more drunk than usual, or something. Which is how we get MoF Extra and SA Extra, both of which I find extremely boring.
5. One that I don't think is special, but that got a lot of "what" when I mentioned it in IRC: I vastly prefer Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain to Wind God Girl...in fact I don't really like the latter song at all. (inb4 Kilgarage). My music tastes in general are a bit odd, my favourite songs are Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke and Suwa Foughten Field, while tied for last place is Hartmann and Lunatic Princess.
6. I also play non-Touhou shooters, but only vertical and danmaku in style...so mostly Cave and some other doujin shmups like Hellsinker, really.
7. I don't care for a good chunk of the fanon at all, have read very few touhou doujins, and think IOSYS should burn in everlasting hellfire for gross crimes against music.
8. I find Optical Camouflage Lunatic (Nitori Midboss) absolutely trivial, have a near-100% capture rate on it, and have absolutely no idea what everyone else is complaining about regarding it being a difficult attack.
9. Conversely, my history on micrododging messes such as Secretly Inherited Art of Danmaku is usually something like 1/20 or 1/40 or something. Prolonged micrododging in a very tight space is very much not my strong suit, or something that I actually like, for that matter.
10. Finally, I think VoWG Lunatic is the best spellcard pattern ZUN has ever created in the series.

Quote from: Azinth
1.  IMO, Orin is objectively the best boss fight that ZUN has ever designed.
This isn't all that uncommon, really, I know more than one person who holds this opinion. For that matter, this would be my opinion as well if Zombie Fairy didn't suck so damn much.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:30:21 AM by Alice Margatroid »
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
1. I have a vagina unit. And that's pretty rare. Even if there are a few girls or whatever.

MoF is pretty boring on easy mode.. assuming you play on easy from your comment about EoSD.
I've finally found someone that agrees with me on IOSYS. Turns good music into absolute crap.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »
I am not sexualy attraced to any touhou character in any way.
Wotters gonna' wot

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 12:41:56 AM »

MoF is pretty boring on easy mode.. assuming you play on easy from your comment about EoSD.
I've finally found someone that agrees with me on IOSYS. Turns good music into absolute crap.

MoF is boring because it's WAY TOO SLOW, making you bomb just so the spellcards finally end. Especially in the Kanako fight, ugh. Even Mountain of Faith is total crap.

About IOSYS, I don't hate them, but that's probably because I get bored of most of their songs after 10 seconds, so I never really heard anything annoying enough to make me hate them. I listen to maybe 2 of their songs, but I love those songs.

Drake

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2009, 03:04:19 AM »
I've ranted on Youtube about IoSYS for a long time.

It's an unwinnable battle, but worth it anyways.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

theshirn

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 03:19:04 AM »
3. I extremely dislike playing for score, I find it one of the most boring things in the world.
4. I very much hate PCB Extra/Phantasm and any Extra stage post-IN. PCB Extra/Phantasm has a decent bossfight preceded by quite likely the worst stage portion in the series, and from MoF onwards ZUN seems to be designing the Extra stages the day before release while even more drunk than usual, or something. Which is how we get MoF Extra and SA Extra, both of which I find extremely boring.
5. One that I don't think is special, but that got a lot of "what" when I mentioned it in IRC: I vastly prefer Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain to Wind God Girl...in fact I don't really like the latter song at all. (inb4 Kilgarage). My music tastes in general are a bit odd, my favourite songs are Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke and Suwa Foughten Field, while tied for last place is Hartmann and Lunatic Princess.
7. I don't care for a good chunk of the fanon at all, have read very few touhou doujins, and think IOSYS should burn in everlasting hellfire for gross crimes against music.
3) Yes.
4) I like SA's, but I'm with you on the others.
5) Wind God Girl is tremendously overrated, and Mysterious Mountain is awesome.  It's the only good thing about MoF Stage 4.  Also, Reach for the Moon is ZUN's best track, but I absolutely love Hartmann's Youkai Girl, so...to each his own, I guess.
7) I only think IOSYS should break some limbs, but otherwise, yes.

Drake

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 03:32:29 AM »
ITT people think you're cool if you hate IoSYS for no particular reason at all

The reasoning for my hate of their fans and my frustration for the haters are the same.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 04:36:03 AM »
1 - I prefer PC98 over Windows and thus I am a fan of said series.
2 - I think Konngara is attractive.
3 - I only used Reimu the most because I was lazy and she had homing bullets.
4 - *See custom title* Likewise for pairings. I find the very mention of either one infuriating.
5 - I love Touhou in general (characters, setting, ZUN, etc), but I hate everything else about it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:39:13 AM by Levishinki Luizerebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
13. I find Kogasa sexy.

Many people do.

EoSD is plagued by a ranking system that makes the game much harder whenever you do well. That makes any practice you might have done pretty much useless as some spellcards changes. An example being Remi's first spellcard on Normal mode. At high rank i was faced with a crapload of bullets moving fast and all over the place while a low rank version of the attack was very few bullets all moving very slow.

MoF or any other post EoSD game doesn't have rank though which makes the challenge more consistent which indeed is a good thing. It wouldn't be too nice if VoWG suddenly turned to lol garbage if you didn't mess up during the Kanako fight.

Also, notice how Gil died in his 25 spells lunatic EoSD run in Stage 4? I'm pretty sure he did that on purpose in order to lower the rank for the Patchouli battle so he would have a chance against certain Patchy spells.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »
It wouldn't be too nice if VoWG suddenly turned to lol garbage if you didn't mess up during the Kanako fight.

You mean VoWG isn't bullshit hard already!?

And yeah.  EoSD also focuses far more on random bullets - which results in more bullet walling/trapping... and thus more rage.

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
I have not played the UFO demo. When it came out, I still had to 1cc a bunch of games of easy and decided to do that first, and when I got better I just forgot about it.

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
1- Mima is my #1 favorite Touhou character. I've mentioned before, that I have a weakspot for intelligent people, and wizard ladies (have I said that I dislike how the wizard type is treated as a secondary type in most medieval fantasy games? I don't relate myself to a swordman's personality or point of view..), and she has a playful and straightforward personality. (besides me being protective towards magic users since I've learned of the Inquisitions and how I've supported the same people responsible for it)
2- I enjoy playing the Touhou games for survival, but as soon as I feel like I'm missing scoring opportunities (which happens when I'm learning the game, for example, in MoF, maintaining the Faith counter, or in SA, grazing as much as I can.. which isn't much :p), I feel like it's pointless to continue a playing run, and either restart the game or stop playing. Seriously, I can't try to play MoF for survival, I can't even ignore the very first wave of fairies and pretend that there's no Faith counter..
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

theshirn

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 03:00:58 AM »

The reasoning for my hate of their fans and my frustration for the haters are the same.
Hey, I was milder for a reason.  Namely: most of IOSYS music is...not...very...good.  There are a few nasty tunes that are catchy as all hell and get stuck in your head for weeks, but...hell, the last couple that were set to PVs were even worse than usual; even Urushi was barely able to redeem it (and I have an overwhelming urge to put my hands up whenever the part of the song with GIIIIGA FURE-ARU comes on).  That said, there are a couple good ones out there, IOSYS is not completely devoid of value, and people who bash it for kicks are no more worth arguing with than those who love everything 'just cause it's IOSYS'.

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »

Hey, I was milder for a reason.  Namely: most of IOSYS music is...not...very...good.  There are a few nasty tunes that are catchy as all hell and get stuck in your head for weeks, but...hell, the last couple that were set to PVs were even worse than usual; even Urushi was barely able to redeem it (and I have an overwhelming urge to put my hands up whenever the part of the song with GIIIIGA FURE-ARU comes on).  That said, there are a couple good ones out there, IOSYS is not completely devoid of value, and people who bash it for kicks are no more worth arguing with than those who love everything 'just cause it's IOSYS'.
They do seem to have about a one good song per album ratio IMO.

On Topic: I'm a typical Touhou player
1. I believe ZUN rolled 20 natural 20s in a row in the "popularity of your game series" check. There can't be any other way.

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
It wouldn't be too nice if VoWG suddenly turned to lol garbage if you didn't mess up during the Kanako fight.

You mean VoWG isn't bullshit hard already!?

And yeah.  EoSD also focuses far more on random bullets - which results in more bullet walling/trapping... and thus more rage.

What do you mean? VoWG isn't bullshit. Its just incredibly difficult. No, what i mean is that VoWG on Max Rank could turn out like the easy version sped up to the lunatic speed.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
1. I play on a standard qwerty keyboard. And like it.
2. My affection for characters correlates rather strongly with how often I die horribly on their stage. (<3 Ran)

Azure Morichika

• Bimbo Kannushi
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
I don't particularly think Touhou excels majorly as a danmaku game in a whole. I play them though.

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2009, 12:27:51 AM »
1. I play on a standard qwerty keyboard. And like it.
What do you mean? Many people play on keyboards (unless you mean IaMP and SWR, but I do that anyway) and unless there's some random key between the left shift and the Z key, it works pretty well. Maybe you mean a desktop keyboard? I always play on a laptop, so I'm not sure about that.