Author Topic: Things that make you different from most Touhou players  (Read 134158 times)

Drake

Re: Things that make you different from most Touhou players
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 12:28:45 AM »
Or those godawful keyboards with a tiny shift key.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 03:53:47 AM »
I liked the power-bomb relation in MoF and SA.

Finally! Someone that agrees with me!

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »
1) The only games that I truly enjoy in the series are PoFV, PoDD and StB. I've never really been a fan of the traditional shooting game which throws a huge mountain of memorization challenges at you. StB is an exception to this since its fast and furious, like a constant Boss Mode. Also, Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country!

2) I'm also disinterested in the Touhou fandom outside of the games and the Japanese culture in general. I like the games for their atmosphere, music and gameplay but whenever I attempt to spark a discussion about it with some other fans it often turns into a contest of who knows more Japanese words and other such little tidbits. I guess its true when they say that Touhou is a phenomenon beyond the games, heheh. :)

3) Perhaps not a thing to set me apart from other fans, but I also prefer ZUN's original music to the vast majority of remixes out there. The grand exception is this arrangement of Casket of Stars by LoveMachine which is what ultimately drove me into trying the Touhou games.

4) Finally, "qwerty" keyboard!  :)

Herasy

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »
1. I never ever play for score
2. Practice actually tends to make me play alot worse than the first time I try to accomplish something (e.g I practiced and practiced SA for countless hours and failed every attempt, yet one day after work I come home and one shot the whole thing with 3 lives to spare)
3. I can't image playing any of the shmups on a gamepad
4. Orin and her shitty stage can go die in a fire fueled by a thousand suns
5. I am prone to stupidly dieing on trivial cards
6. I seem to play better when I am tired and not concentrating

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »
IaMP, SWR, and UNL are all different games, and "good" games.

1. I never ever play for score
this is not special /at all/
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
1. MoF is a lot harder than EoSD to me. Seriously.
2. In hindsight, Flandre is actually a lot easier than the stage before her. I can cap many of her spellcards but the stage ALWAYS gives me issues. I hate, hate, hate Royal Flare and Philosopher's Stone.
3. Chiyuri > Captain Murasa. There, I said it.
4. IN Extra is almost trivial with Yuyuko, but Mokou's bullshit spellcards can go burn for eternity.
5. I tend to avoid MoF and SA, I don't really like them too much.
6. Ichirin is awesome and I love her character design.
7. EoSD will always be my #1 favorite.
8. I'm pretty good at random dodging and streaming, but I fail at patterned spellcards and sparse bullets.
9. Spleen Eater is a damn fun spellcard.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »
1. MoF is a lot harder than EoSD to me. Seriously.
8. I'm pretty good at random dodging and streaming, but I fail at patterned spellcards and sparse bullets.

I heartily agree.

Speaking of MoF/EoSD comparisons, I find Suwako quite a lot harder than Flandre, or Yukari, or in fact any Extra boss who isn't Koishi. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 09:40:48 PM »
1) The only games that I truly enjoy in the series are PoFV, PoDD and StB. I've never really been a fan of the traditional shooting game which throws a huge mountain of memorization challenges at you.

Maybe you could try EoSD. Most of the spellcards are doable on a first run, and the others are random. If you play on Easy or Normal, there's not much memorization required in any of the Touhou shooters anyway (except maybe IN Normal).
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
Maybe you could try EoSD. Most of the spellcards are doable on a first run, and the others are random. If you play on Easy or Normal, there's not much memorization required in any of the Touhou shooters anyway (except maybe IN Normal).

I've actually given all of the official games a good try out before reaching this conclusion of mine. It's not that I find them too hard to play, I just don't find the gameplay as fun and amusing as the split-screeners.

I can also rarely bring myself to play any game on less than the hardest difficulty, like a sort of psychological complex, haha. :V Imagine myself, being completely green to the shooting game genre, going up against the PoFV Match Mode's Lunatic AI. That was my reality during a few months, back in the good old days.  :D

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »
2. In hindsight, Flandre is actually a lot easier than the stage before her. I can cap many of her spellcards but the stage ALWAYS gives me issues. I hate, hate, hate Royal Flare and Philosopher's Stone.
Please stay on-topic :P That means I agree with you.

sohvan

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
1. I don't like Mountain of Faith much aside from the music. I think Suwako is an uninteresting character, and I find Kanako a one-trick pony. I don't think VotWG is that impressive or interesting either, though it is difficult.
2. It took me a while to figure out where Zombie Reimu came from.
3. I find Youmu to be relatively easy compared to the Prismriver Sisters and even Alice on lunatic PCB
4. I find Alice to be far harder than Chen, and Chen relatively easy.
5. Yuyuko is easier than Prismrivers too.
6. Merlin Prismriver's first attack when playing Sakuya was always my archnemesis in PCB lunatic. That thing is harder than most spellcards, and takes more punishment.
7. I don't usually like playing for score. If I'm good enough at a difficulty level to be worried about scoring, I'd rather increase the difficulty instead. If I'm good enough to 1 cc lunatic and clear extra/lunatic, I usually switch games.
8. I like playing with 0 bombs a lot. It gives me the feeling that I can just focus on dodging, and not have to worry about dying with bombs left. Some of my best playing in regular runs has been with 0 bombs and nothing to lose. This is sadly mostly missing from SA and MoF due to the bomb system, though SA is still one of my favourite games.
9. I feel more relaxed when in practice mode though, and usually try to capture spellcards I would normally bomb.
10. I haven't read most endings in english. I have seen a lot of the endings, but didn't have translation patches back then. I've usually patched the games after I already stopped playing that game actively.
11. Most of my first 1 cc's had an incredibly stupid mistake in the first stages. Despite this, I tend to restart too often when I screw up early.
12. EosD is the second hardest of the games. MoF is the easiest (to 1 cc on different difficulties). This has a lot to do with game mechanics in both cases.
13. I have very little contact with the Touhou fandom, and get most of my impressions about the characters from the official games. I didn't know what Yukkuri is until a few days ago.
14. I couldn't figure out how to play UFO in full screen, so I changed my screen resolution to 1280x960 and played it in a window. Custom.exe has mysteriously stopped working in all of my Touhou games, even though it used to work just fine.
15. The X key is missing on my keyboard, so instead of bombing by pressing a button, I bomb by touching the surface under the button. I'm not sure if this is an advantage or a disadvantage, but I feel like it is the latter.

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »
I like UFO. I'm willing to play any game, despite how obscure it may be. The UFO's were interesting, though it's gonna take a fuck-load of practice to get the timings down. Bullet patterns were nice, characters were nice (finally, all the characters are significant in the game now) music is nice and the only thing that stops this from being a perfect game is the fact that the animated bullets in stage 5 really fuck with my eyes.

Gambit

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2009, 02:29:37 AM »
1. Koishi is my favorite extra boss.
2. I actually like the Phantasmagoria games.
3. I think ZUN?s art is decent.
4. With the exception IN, none of the stage 2 themes appeal to me at all.
5. I suck at using homing types because they don't do enough damage.
6. Can't stand Aya in any of the games where she has appeared as a boss.
7. I have accidentally collided into just about everyone from the IN cast at least once thanks to the lack of sleep.

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 11:49:11 AM »
I like UFO.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
I like UFO.
If you had posted this when the demo was out, you would be on topic.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »
I've actually released/sold something at a doujin event in Japan.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
1. I don't like Nazrin's, Kogasa's, or Flandre's themes.
2. Kanako is my favorite character.
3. I had more trouble on PCB extra than any other extra.
4. Ultimate Truth is my favorite song in PCB.
5. I LIKE the animated bullets.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:05:18 PM by Kanako Yasaka »

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

Sounds terrible. How about this one. My new laptops keyboard is so horrible that it makes Flandres non-spells difficult!

1.  :o
2. Surprising
5. Then you must LOVE UFO. They are all over the place!

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
1. i don't like pairings
2. nobody is gay in Gensokyo
3. i love every windows game besides EoSD
4. i play on a Mac(using Bootcamp, i don't actually play on the Mac side)
5. Suwako is my favorite character

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »
1. i don't like pairings
Huh, and here I felt like an outcast on the matter.

Let's be good friends~
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2009, 11:42:11 PM »
1. i don't like pairings
Huh, and here I felt like an outcast on the matter.

Let's be good friends~

IchirinxUnzan for the win? I'm not sure how that would work with a cloud man though...

In other news I agree with the above statements.

LtC

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2009, 12:01:17 AM »
1) I like MoF the best out of the games in the series, mostly because it's simple and fun to play for score.
2) I don't like StB at all and I think it's boring, frustrating and stupid
3) I've played the games for about a year now, 1cc'd all of them, cleared and I dont really even know or remember the names more than a couple characters in the games.
4) EoSD soundtrack and some other tracks in the games make my ears bleed. I also think ZUN's music is sub-par compared to other doujin shooter titles, including some one-man-job's like touhou is.
5) I think the fighting games are pretty horrible compared to the shooters
6) I play non-touhou shooters. Also I never stick to playing one game more than couple hours before playing something else.
7) I hate slow bullets (because I suck at dodging them)
8?) I don't care about the characters or story unless it's about making fun of them because the story and characters are just silly
9) I pretty much always play for score, although I dislike the scoring system in some of the games (which is why I barely play those games)
10) I don't understand why people complain about stuff like MoF st4 post-midboss barrages when you can just bomb it while benefitting your score and getting the power back almost instantly.
11) I think the games should have voice acting as long as there's an option to turn it off.
12) I can't play/consentrate without my headset on, doesn't even matter if there's sound or not.
13) Kioh Gyoku>>>PoFV

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2009, 12:11:47 AM »
1. i don't like pairings
This is true for me too.

Von Stein

• Just some insane airhead.
  • What's this newfangled stuff?
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2009, 12:37:01 AM »
Might as well jump in somewhere...

1. I like watching two Lunatic CPU players duke it out on PoFV...even if neither of them lands a hit for hours.

2. I am aware of most of the fandom, memes, etc. etc. but have no strong feelings about them. (Since I have not seen a whole lot of apathetic reactions to the...always love, or hate. =p)

3. I play for the story. Good, silly, I have yet to make up my mind.

4. I do not prefer either PC-98 or Windows. I like all 16 official games.

5. I fail hard at these games. Even on stage 1 on easy mode with cheat engine...in all the games... (Even though I managed some 1ccing in SoEW and LLS) (May not be special, but eh.)
Can't think of a good signature.
More lilies maybe?

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:17 AM »
forgot to add:

7. most fandom doesn't bother me. things like Cirno being dumb are fine, but things like tsundere Alice get on my nerves.
8. i have never beaten anything past stage 3 on Normal while playing SA, yet i can get to Koishi's blue hearts card(can't remember the name..Release of the Id or something.) without dying.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »
I like most of the MoF and SA art
but Reimu is an undead zombie so yeah

Also on topic: I can't stand PCB or MoF's stage 4 themes.  They are godawfully BORING.  And the stages themselves really don't help either.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:28 AM »
1.  I actually don't like Touhou games as shooters that much so I never bother to do anything with them beyond beating hard mode and extra/phantasm.  I don't bother playing for score for that matter either.  The only exception was beating lunatic in IN because Marisa/Alice was a fun team to play.
2.  I don't play practice mode, if I want to practice a stage I'll try to reach it in the story mode.
3.  I probably ragequit 1.5x - 2x more times than the average person on a touhou game......not so much on arcade games.  I usually end up in the ballpark of a couple hundred runs of the first level before I can beat a game on hard mode. 
4.  I don't care too much for touhou fandom, but for some reason I'm a huge Kaguya nut. 
5.  I like Psikyo shooting games.....a lot....and I think they have the best and most enjoyable bullet patterns of all shooters

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2009, 02:22:07 AM »
- MoF is *still* harder than EoSD. I've beaten EoSD Hard before I've even bothered trying to get through MoF Normal.

- I tend to love overlooked characters. Favorite include: Parsee, Ichirin, Shou, Prismrivers, Komachi, Chiyuri, Kanako, ...

- I hate, hate, hate playing as Marisa in any game. She's way too fast and I end up colliding with bullets at 50 mph.

- I think ZUN's art is nifty. It's kinda neat to watch how his art has developed over the years.

- I play on Normal when I could probably move on to Hard by now.

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:53 AM »

Sounds terrible. How about this one. My new laptops keyboard is so horrible that it makes Flandres non-spells difficult!

1.  :o
2. Surprising
5. Then you must LOVE UFO. They are all over the place!

UFO would have been the perfect game if it hadn't been for the animated bullets in stage 5.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2009, 03:10:08 AM »
UFO would have been the perfect game if it hadn't been for the animated bullets in stage 5.

wait, what are you guys talking about

what are these "animated bullets"?