Author Topic: Individual Spell Card Practice  (Read 10787 times)

JOmega

Individual Spell Card Practice
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
I heard that Touhou 8: IN has spell card practice where you can choose 1 spell card only for practice, i.e., you don't have to go through the whole level to get to a certain card you are having trouble with.

Does 7/PCB also have something like this? Is there anyway to get it?

Also, what other Touhou games have it?

Thanks!

Re: Individual Spell Card Practice
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
Imperishable Night is the only game that has a Spell Practice feature. However, the spinoff game Shoot the Bullet works in a similar way, although instead of shooting enemies you take pictures of the enemy and their bullets (the star of the game is a newspaper reporter).

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum JOmega,

Like AlexX already clearly explained: IN and StB are the only two games with that feature in them. ZUN hasn't build in this style in the latter games. However, remember you can still practise the stages once you unlock them in normal play. So you don't really need to play ALL the way through you know.

For spellcard help and such you can also drop questions in the "Spellcard help" thread.

JOmega

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Okay... thanks guys! And thank you for the "welcome," Helepolis!

They should definitely start re-incorporating it! It's such an excellent, fun, and useful feature!! Oh well :/

What do you think of Shoot the bullet? I feel like I wouldn't really enjoy it since you're just taking pictures and dodging haha. But I do love spell card practice so maybe it would be fun...

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
SWR and UNL also feature a spell practice, but they are the fighting games.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
Okay... thanks guys! And thank you for the "welcome," Helepolis!

They should definitely start re-incorporating it! It's such an excellent, fun, and useful feature!! Oh well :/

What do you think of Shoot the bullet? I feel like I wouldn't really enjoy it since you're just taking pictures and dodging haha. But I do love spell card practice so maybe it would be fun...

StB is... yeah.

It can be really fun and a good way to learn to handle high-speed moving (Aya moving focused is about as fast as some characters -unfocused-), but the lack of precision focus speed drives a lot of people nuts... along with the obscene difficulty of some of the later stages (200+ tries on some stages is not at all uncommon)

It's a good side diversion and the spell card designs are really nice though.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »
Shoot the bullet is actually quite fun, it totally defeats the normal instinct you are using for the regular touhou games. It is seriously a whole different approach which ZUN intended ( I would read the wiki afterword regarding stb, very interesting information given from ZUN ).

Lopsidation

• Exploring the Twin Labyrinths
  • Be light of heart;
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:15:34 PM »
Shoot the Bullet is great in that you have to change your mindset a little- for many of the cards it's more "figure out a good strategy" than "keep on bashing it".
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."

Bananamatic

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »
Shoot the Bullet is great in that you have to change your mindset a little- for many of the cards it's more "figure out a good strategy" than "keep on bashing it".
I gave up on StB because Aya is HORRIBLE.
She is either too fast or too slow. I can't even do any of the st4 cards.

Also, screw strategy.
I want to DODGE EVERYTHING

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »
SWR and UNL also feature a spell practice, but they are the fighting games.

Wait what.

WHERE.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:57:14 AM »
Wait what.

WHERE.
I just found it by accident two days ago.  The results menu doubles as a spell practice menu.