~Hakurei Shrine~ > Help Me, Eirin!
How to get to grips with Touhou - general hints, tips and advice!
<< < (3/31) > >>
Drake:
You'd think that after playing the game more than a few times people would learn themselves how UFOs work?
Sen:

--- Quote from: Drake on January 19, 2011, 01:54:46 AM ---You'd think that after playing the game more than a few times people would learn themselves how UFOs work?

--- End quote ---

IIRC Sapz didn't know you could stop UFO color changes until like three months ago :V
Sapz:
Well, I've known for more than 3 months, but I didn't know until after the Lunatic 1cc. :V Again, thanks for the feedback, I'll update the guide in a bit.
shadowbringer:
HRtP:
- get used to dashing for moving around the screen (except when the orb is near you) and keeping the chain
- get used to dashing to kick the orb at fixed angles (60-ish degrees, or some 35-ish degrees when dash-kicking)
- get used to using the ofuda to maneuver the orb (consider the orb's momentum and where you hit it with your shot)
- get used to using the ofuda and gohei to neutralize enemy shots (most useful on certain bosses like Kikuri)
- bomb when you have maximum capacity if you can avoid dying, this way (since you gain bombs if you die, you avoid wasting a bomb)
- having lots of lives and few bombs is better than having few lives and lots of bombs because dying decreases rank noticeably
- try to play for score if you can (I'd say, through chaining tiles not point items -- which appear on random locations, can break your chain more easily and aren't as rewarding as tile chaining), because even if you spend bombs, if you can chain lots of tiles you'll gain enough points to make up for the bombs spent (this reminds me of Battle Garegga's "score -> gain extends -> spend lives to lower rank -> score more to make up for spent lives", though on a more lenient implementation)

EoSD:
- sometimes, timing out patterns is more rewarding, survival-wise, than capturing them, because failing to capture them (not sure about nonspells such as Cirno's) either lowers rank or avoids it from rising more than necessary
- also, sometimes learning safespots (such as some in the 3rd stage, 5th stage and some tricks on stage 4) is the option which takes less effort and gives better results than trying to play instinctively

PoFV:
- get used to spending lvl 2s once in a while, don't hoard them
- get used to the chain timing (so that you can feel it without having to look at the timer), avoid shooting at all the times, because this messes up your chain timer and makes it more difficult for you to summon bosses or cancel the one at your side of the screen through chain score
- also, get used to chain resetting when playing for survival so you can resummon bosses (and try to spam enough lvl 2s to raise the level of your ex-attacks up to the limit of 16)
- when a G item is on the screen, try to spam lvl 2s if you have the time (or lvl 3s or even a lvl 4 if you prefer) before collecting it
- when activating spirits, make sure you'll have enough chain timer to kill them (through direct shots or chaining) to extend your chain if needed; you can activate spirits near the upper half of the screen to chain lots of bullets
- speaking of lots of chainable bullets, avoid bombing them if you can chain them
- there's nothing wrong with bombing as a measure to keep your chain, though
Sapz:
Guide updated! Added parts on streaming crossovers, practicing on higher difficulties, UFO chasing and Fairy Wars' freezing. Didn't touch 'twitch dodging' since that pretty much just involves 'move out of the way of fast bullets heading towards you', which isn't exactly useful advice.

shadowbringer: Your points are correct and make sense, but they're too advanced and specific for this guide for the most part. :P I don't know if I'll touch the Phantasmagoria games specifically, and probably won't touch HRtP... I might add something if there's a lot of demand for them, but I somehow don't think that's the case. :V
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version