~Hakurei Shrine~ > Help Me, Eirin!

Is playing in 16:9 instead of 4:3 considered cheating?

<< < (5/5)

Lunatic_Reimu:

--- Quote from: Agent of the BSoD on May 10, 2019, 05:18:35 PM ---That's because you've got borders added not only to the left and right sides of the screen, but also to the top and bottom, which is why 4:3 looks correct. It's still rendering in 16:10 but it's being letterboxed to fit in a 4:3 space. I personally use Neko Project 21 fmgen as I find that to be the most solid emulator of the lot (another reason to update that guide as it was written before NP was compatible with the PC-98 hardware, only working with PC-88). With NP21, under screen -> screen option -> fullscreen, I have the two checkboxes ticked and zoom set to adjust aspect. When I fullscreen the game, it fills it to my screen but maintains the 16:10 aspect ratio, giving me black bars on the left and right, and none at the top and bottom. It's an uneven scale, so if the uneven pixels bother you, you can always check screen -> stretch filter (only applies when being stretched). It will produce a blurring effect but the pixels will be even.

As for Seihou, I've only ever touched the first one, Shuusou Gyoku, and it's also 4:3. I'm assuming the others are the same way.

--- End quote ---
Right, so in my case 4:3 should be the scale I should use for the PC98 games then if you're saying it looks correct due to the borders/letterboxing? Unfortunately I didn't have much success with Neko Project :( Stuttering, and slowing down at points. T98 gives me much better performance so I stuck with that one.

Yeah Seihou looked more even in 4:3 when I was testing it out too, so I agree with you.

Despatche:
It's not cheating at all, it just doesn't make sense. If anything, it's a handicap. It really would be worth the effort to "get used" to 4:3 instead.

--- Quote from: Agent of the BSoD on May 09, 2019, 09:00:29 PM ---Keep in mind that pixel aspect ratio is not always the right aspect ratio. For example, DOS games for IBM PC compatibles typically ran in a resolution of 320x200. Sound familiar? Multiply that by 2, you get 640x400, so 16:10 right? Wrong. Those games were meant to be played 4:3 as that's what CRTs did to them, and is what graphics designers often targeted.
--- End quote ---
This isn't strictly true, and it highly depends on the game. This is also something that's brought up for numerous older platforms that did something similar.

For some reason, most older platforms simply didn't use a 4:3 resolution. In the vast majority of each platform's catalog, games were being made for the actual internal resolution, not what you get on a typical TV. I don't know why so many developers decided to be ignorant of what was supposed to be a standard, but they were, repeatedly. Typically you can easily tell by looking at circular objects or object trajectories (e.g. bullets) in a given game; look at basically any NES game, for example.

Likewise, the PC-98 Touhou games are pixelled and programmed for the 640x400 resolution, not anything else. It is a complete mystery as to why. I get the feeling most PC-98 games are like this, but I haven't sat down to look at this. I'm pretty sure Kotsujin is, though.

Lunatic_Reimu:

--- Quote from: Despatche on July 03, 2019, 01:48:20 PM ---It's not cheating at all, it just doesn't make sense. If anything, it's a handicap. It really would be worth the effort to "get used" to 4:3 instead.

This isn't strictly true, and it highly depends on the game. This is also something that's brought up for numerous older platforms that did something similar.

For some reason, most older platforms simply didn't use a 4:3 resolution. In the vast majority of each platform's catalog, games were being made for the actual internal resolution, not what you get on a typical TV. I don't know why so many developers decided to be ignorant of what was supposed to be a standard, but they were, repeatedly. Typically you can easily tell by looking at circular objects or object trajectories (e.g. bullets) in a given game; look at basically any NES game, for example.

Likewise, the PC-98 Touhou games are pixelled and programmed for the 640x400 resolution, not anything else. It is a complete mystery as to why. I get the feeling most PC-98 games are like this, but I haven't sat down to look at this. I'm pretty sure Kotsujin is, though.

--- End quote ---
Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply and pitch in also :) I was actually seeing it as advantageous rather than a handicap which is why I started doubting. Seeing wider gaps was giving me a quicker time to react to them, especially in fast moving random cards which I can't memorize like Sakuya's Eternal Meek for example. Anyway, I happily made the jump from 16:9 to 4:3 after these posts with Agent of the BSoD, and really got used to it now. If anything, now I really am seeing 16:9 as stretched and ugly, and wouldn't want to go back to it :)

Regarding the PC98 games, I use T98 Next as my emulator, and it's definitely better and everything looks more even in 4:3 than in 16:9 as you could also see in the posts above where I attached some comparison pics. I think this is due to it being letter boxed since the proper aspect ratio is 8:5 as stated by Agent? I actually took screenshots of round stuff, and put them in Picture Manager, and when I cropped around the circle, the horizontal pixels match the vertical ones (i.e. 89 x 89 pixels as an example), so it seems like it's correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version