Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212012 times)

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #720 on: December 23, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »
a negative status from me
amnesia: The affected being cant use spells or spellcards and outside of battle has a hard time remembering stuff until this effect wears off

...I forgot silence. *adds it to mental list*

The whole ''no spells nor spellcards'' effect definitely belongs to Silence, which is the classic RPG status effect, and usually, any RPG fan won't even need to read the description to know what they mean.

However, a status effect that makes you forget things is pretty interesting. It could work in the illusion school of magic, too.

Impulse: Target being must subconsciously follow certain influences on their train of thought until effect wears off/influencer leaves/etc.

That's interesting :P Definitely feeling a... Gloomy Power of Love vibe here. I love the idea of acting under your ''true self'' though.

Out-of-body experience: Your soul is temporarily jarred from your body, leaving your spirit doubly vulnerable to magical effects and your body inert. Plus side: Your spirit can waltz through walls and other barriers until the condition is fixed.

That's very hermit/buddhist-y. That would be more of a skill than a state, however.

Possessed: Exactly what it sounds like. Roll opposed die for each party: Winning party decides where the body wanders next. On a tie, a compromise of varying awkwardness is reached, whether for horror or comedy.

Excellent idea. ? the trolling, the comedy!

Irradiated: Exactly what it sounds like. How much of a problem this is depends on how soon you can get to Eirin and whether or not you are a creature that even physically gives a crap about things like nuclear fallout.

As far as Touhou goes, I don't think radiation even exists, or has negative effects. It fixed Reimu's skin color!

Jealous: Your character is jealous of someone for some reason and said character will stop at NOTHING to acquire what they have, regardless of who or what gets in the way, until the effect wears off. Cries of "PARU PARU~" optional.

That was meant to be a specific, secret Parsee skill, so I will not include it in the list, but you can be 100 % sure to see it appear if anyone wanders around Dat Bridge. Bloody murders guaranteed!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #721 on: December 23, 2012, 04:20:18 AM »
I actually got the idea for out-of-body experience from all the stuff about the Astral Plane from D&D. And it's not very beneficial if you're FORCIBLY kicked out of your body and have trouble getting back in. :P

That much said, yes, does sound like an ability the Buddhists and Hermits could use. Also your idea sounds more plausible as I hadn't really thought of what would be keeping your soul dislodged.

« Reply #722 on: December 23, 2012, 05:17:55 AM »
I actually got the idea for out-of-body experience from all the stuff about the Astral Plane from D&D. And it's not very beneficial if you're FORCIBLY kicked out of your body and have trouble getting back in. :P

It's all fun and games until someone casts protection from good on your chaotic good sorcerer whilst  hes' out of his body.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:49:15 AM by FoxTide »

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #723 on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:08 AM »
Thinking about status effects reminds me of something: Are there weather effects like in the fighting games?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #724 on: December 23, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
Thinking about status effects reminds me of something: Are there weather effects like in the fighting games?

Excellent question!

The weather will indeed affect a lot of things, such as rain making it harder to see, ice making the ground more slippery, cold making you numb, etc... But there is no ''Each weather has a specific effect'' thing.

Thing is, the weather system in the fighting game was caused by Tenshi's Scarlet Sword of Temperament Perception, and thus, the classic SWR weather system will only appear if Tenshi decides to mess with the temperament of the weather again.

« Reply #725 on: December 23, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
you forgot the most common status in all the Touhouvurse!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #726 on: December 23, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »
Drunk? :V

« Reply #727 on: December 23, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »
I was going to say intoxication. It's not well covered in the original.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #728 on: December 23, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
Being drunk will be explained later on. It won't be a fixed thing, but will actually act differently on each person; Some will be prone to violence, some to sudden affection, some to crazy talking, etc...

And if you're Ikari, then it's all three at once!

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #729 on: December 23, 2012, 08:49:49 AM »
Nice to see your feeling better Ikari, though I'll need to give those Status Effects a proper rad later as I had to skim so you guys wouldn't get too far ahead of me post wise :P

Anyway, I watched that Reimu vs Remelia fight again and saw that when Remelia used her Chains of Fate, just before they dissapear, Reimu grinds on em for a bit, which is pretty cool yeah, though what I was thinking is that depending on the type of danmaku, there could be some kind of physical interaction with it, such as Remelia's Chains of Fate being actual Physical chains that can be grind on, but more energy based Danmaku, such as a Majority of Utsuho's Danmaku can't be directly touched Full Stop as all of hers a Energy Based.

Also in this Marisa vs Flandre Preview trailer, one thing you'll notice is that they're both constantly moving through the mansion, though in this case it's more a case of Flandre playing a game of "Tag" with Marisa though it's still something we could do, also at the end of the video, FLan can be seen deflecting Marisa's Danmaku with L?vateinn, which brings me to my next thing, in essentially all Touhou Dogfight video's, whoever takes the first hit seems to be the loser of that round, though they seem to move on to the next spellcard, regardless of who was hit, so essentially, Danmaku Battles seem to be a 1 Hit and lose scenario for both combatants, though it seems that the challenger is more limited to what they can use.

And I hit post before I was finished writing my post instead of preview :V
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:28:48 AM by Zork787 »
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

« Reply #730 on: December 23, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »
Being drunk will be explained later on. It won't be a fixed thing, but will actually act differently on each person; Some will be prone to violence, some to sudden affection, some to crazy talking, etc...

thats more or less what I had in mind
*runs of to get one hundred cookies out of the oven*

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #731 on: December 23, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
Even if it's in keeping with the traditional mythos of the Jiang-Shi, I still do not like it. I've brought this up with Ikari in more detail via PM.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #732 on: December 23, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

And if you're Ikari, then it's all three at once!

A Drunk mechanic you say? LET THE SHENANIGANS COMMENCE!

Even if it's in keeping with the traditional mythos of the Jiang-Shi, I still do not like it. I've brought this up with Ikari in more detail via PM.
I'm not too botherd about it myself, just means if you don't want your character to get turned, just be cautious around Jiang-Shi is all
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #733 on: December 23, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
It really bothers me. Like, dealbreaker-level.(To the point that I'm actually considering giving up on this game completely.) I've brought up how potentially broken it could get.
Plus, no resist(you'd think resolution would work!), and you're still technically under the original's control. That too is a major problem.
Just the fact that it IS a thing is a big problem for me.

Besides, this game won't properly work right without someone giving the harsh criticism it needs. I guess I'm the one to give it.
Everything else has been great, aside from that status effect. The whole 'Custom Spell' thing means that some characters can devise a spell to turn someone without a jiang-shi's bite. And since there's no resisting it, you can imagine how bad this could get.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:23:41 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #734 on: December 23, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
I've responded to the Jiang-Shi worries of Hanzo, so everything should be fine and happy and sugar and rainbows and kittens. Or happy rainbow kittens made of sugar.

A Drunk mechanic you say? LET THE SHENANIGANS COMMENCE!

Due to the girls' drinking habits in Touhou (and their physical size), I'm really wondering if they just aren't on a massive drunk rampage every game. You can totally imagine a young girl stomping graves while screaming ''I, REIMU HAKUREI, WILL BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU, ROTTEN ZOMBIE!'' and then kicking down your door to request a danmaku duel.

The whole 'Custom Spell' thing means that some characters can devise a spell to turn someone without a jiang-shi's bite.

Seriously, this is borderline offensive; Obviously, I'd totally allow someone to make an AoE Jiang-Shi infection spellcard, right?  :derp:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #735 on: December 23, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »
I was referring to the custom spells themselves, not the cards.
Plus, Seiga. if anyone in in Gensokyo does things based on amusement value the most, it's her. (She beats out even Yukari and Minako in that regard.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #736 on: December 23, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
Plus, Seiga. if anyone in in Gensokyo does things based on amusement value the most, it's her. (She beats out even Yukari and Minako in that regard.)

I'll give you that, but this is still Gensokyo; Supposing you're turned into a Jiang-Shi without provoking her, that implies she's pretty much trying to take over the world. God knows what Reimu would think of that, or if Yukari would allow Seiga to turn her beloved land into a Zombie Land.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #737 on: December 23, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »
What's stopping her from aiming for one of them first, eh? This is Seiga after all. She does shit for the hell of it.
(I mean, she is the girl who got inspired by Santa to pull a reverse Santa. if that doesn't count as 'For The Lulz/For the Evulz', then I don't know what does.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #738 on: December 23, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
What's stopping her from aiming for one of them first, eh? This is Seiga after all. She does shit for the hell of it.
(I mean, she is the girl who got inspired by Santa to pull a reverse Santa. if that doesn't count as 'For The Lulz/For the Evulz', then I don't know what does.)

The fact that she doesn't give two shits about anyone? I mean, Seiga is an evil bitch because she says "fuck you" to the laws of nature and is generally a self-centered bitch, but she doesn't go around infecting people. Ever.

Also the reverse Santa is absolutely hilarious, and technically adorable; She did that because material possessions prevents illumination and because she thought ''Hey, christmas!''. Plus, Yoshika the reindeer.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #739 on: December 23, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Well, she does do shit for the hell of it. So what's stopping her from getting the idea of "Hey, I need more underlings. Maybe I'll grab a few of gensokyo's notables."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #740 on: December 23, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
Well, she does do shit for the hell of it. So what's stopping her from getting the idea of "Hey, I need more underlings. Maybe I'll grab a few of gensokyo's notables."

Many things.

1) Do you really think she'd go after YOU, of all people? Really? If I was Seiga, I'd aim for Reimu and Marisa; Two careless humans who are total domination machines.

2) Even if reason 1 doesn't convince you, I'd like to point out the sole reason as to why I am 100 % sure it'll never happen; I'm the freaking GM, and unless she pops out from the wall of my house and threatens to kill me if I don't make it so she turns you (which, y'know, literally CAN'T happen), she won't just evily go around and infect you.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #741 on: December 23, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
#1's exactly what I'm trying to point out.
Also, there's the shot that, as players grow in power, she'll end up taking an unhealthy interest in them. That's just how she is.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #742 on: December 23, 2012, 03:53:15 PM »
Actually, the only interest I've ever seen her show is stalking around common humans for fun. She doesn't seem too impressed by any of Gensokyo's locals.

Again, I'll repeat it once more, and please re-read a few times to make sure you get what I'm implying;

I am the GM. I literally will be her if she ever appears in the game. She cannot do anything without me being in total agreement, because she doesn't exist and because this is a role playing game.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #743 on: December 23, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »
*sigh* Fine.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #744 on: December 23, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
*sigh* Fine.

Thank you for your understanding. I do get your point, Jiang-Shi is a frightening status, but I won't go around and spread it like butter on a warm toast.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #745 on: December 23, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
Well, that's just you at least. What's stopping someone else from starting their own session and using/abusing it?
Better safe than sorry if you ask me.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #746 on: December 23, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
Well, that's just you at least. What's stopping someone else from starting their own session and using/abusing it?
Better safe than sorry if you ask me.

*Looks around*

I don't think anyone here wants the zombie apocalypse to happen. And if they do, they aren't suitable to be a GM.

Besides, should I remove a mechanic because some GM may abuse it? If you ask me, anything, and I mean ANYTHING, in the game can be abused by the GM. Oops, suddenly 30 fairies! Oh my, Yukari randomly wants to fight you! What's that? You lose, you disappear forever? Well isn't that exciting!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #747 on: December 23, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
I'm not referring to anyone present in the thread. I'm referring to potential lurkers that might come across things by randomly browsing.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #748 on: December 23, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
I'm not referring to anyone present in the thread. I'm referring to potential lurkers that might come across things by randomly browsing.

Well, just don't play in their sessions? I mean, the whole point of being a GM is to be responsible and able to make nice stories using the players' creativity. If someone randomly pops in, says he's a GM and then causes a zombie apocalypse, what's preventing you from saying ''Dude, you're a fucking bad GM, I'm outta here''?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #749 on: December 23, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Well, I know a guy who had a pretty asshole gm for D&D(In fact, he's the one with the Ninja.). He didn't really have much leeway in going against the guy because he had to deal with the guy on a daily basis.
He didn't want trouble after all, so he couldn't easily go against him like that. Though it did lead to awesome bardness. (Even though the guy was insisting he play a Paladin.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!