Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212016 times)

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #690 on: December 21, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
I go out for the day and you guys go zoom once again!

And Status Effects! I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING WE FORGOT TO COVER!!!!

And you guys can get my skype by checking the little skype icon under my signature, but here it is anyway zork_the_hedgehog

I was a part of the sonic fandom once I'm ashamed to admit.
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #691 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
I think everyone was at some point. it's just one of those awkward phases.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #692 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
I think everyone was at some point. it's just one of those awkward phases.

Ain't that the truth!

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #693 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
so will the enemy layout be the same as normal or will that be changed for this. An example would be the ordinary fairies or kedamas

Eh, deciding enemies stats and stuff is a GM thing, don't fret over it.

As for the updates, I may not even do any today. Turns out not only was I stoned on sleep, but also dead sick, which now brings me the inability to talk and think straight. It's getting worse and worserer @____@

Ain't that the truth!

A cold, unforgiving truth :smug:

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #694 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
As for the updates, I may not even do any today. Turns out not only was I stoned on sleep, but also dead sick, which now brings me the inability to talk and think straight. It's getting worse and worserer @____@
Yeah, sounds like a bad cold to me, best thing to do is just get plenty of rest and drink plenty of drinks, preferably orange juice, but if your like me you'll just keep drinking soft drinks regardless of how ill you are :P

But really, If you really feeling that unwell you really should just get some rest.

A cold, unforgiving truth :smug:
Don't remind me! DX

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #695 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »
Well, if you need the sleep, then you need the sleep man. Bein' sick ain't fun. I know.
Take it from me.

It's a bitter one too. Like coffee.
Yeah, just like coffee.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #696 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
Well, if you need the sleep, then you need the sleep man. Bein' sick ain't fun. I know.
Take it from me.
Yep, I can also vouch as I've had the flu a number of times in the past myself, and that's the worst =/

So get yourself some rest and wait till your feeling better before doing any more. Cos don't think for a second that your own health doesn't come first!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:57:33 PM by Zork787 »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #697 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »
Ikari, take a break for a while. You need some rest to recover from your cold, I need to rest to recover from finals and my upcoming flight home, and everyone else needs some rest so they'll stop posting faster than I can keep up. :V

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #698 on: December 21, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
Don't be too sure there man, folks'll still go all zoom and stuff.

Anyhow, I can safely say that Minako's finished, now to work further on Hibiki.
...Is what I'd like to say, but I need to read the newest WaHH chapter for more info.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #699 on: December 22, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »
get plenty of rest you've earned it.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #700 on: December 22, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
Jesus, noticed this late but Ikari. Dude. one thing to say.

Seriously.
Get some rest, get something nice to eat, stop doing your thankless work for a bit. unshoulder that burden and go soak in a hot ass bath. Something to get you relaxed and chill XD
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:31:56 AM by Yugian »

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #701 on: December 22, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
Have to say, I think that this is probably the best example of what an actual Touhou Danmaku fight works, this too (with sound effects) and a third one! so What I think we should do is use these videos as reference material for our Danmaku Battles in our games when we finally get around to playing!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:10:36 PM by Zork787 »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #702 on: December 22, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
Yeah, that, though I figured it was slightly less DBZ-ish.

OTOH I only play on Normal and Easymodo so maybe I'm just not used to mach 3 deathswarm booletz. :V

EDIT: On the other hand, this is definitely going in the highlight reel.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:53:02 PM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #703 on: December 22, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
I sometimes start my morning with a quick blast of whatever game on Lunatic Mode.
Really forces you to wake up I tell ya. Also gives me ideas for spellcards too.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #704 on: December 23, 2012, 01:07:53 AM »
Ah yes, the legendary dogfight videos.

Those kick ass  :V
Like that image. that image also kicks major ass.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #705 on: December 23, 2012, 01:08:29 AM »
*Kicks down the door*

Gooooood Mooooorniiiiing~ <3

...Okay it's probably not morning for most of you. And it's not for me either. Anyway! I simply want to thank you all a lot lot lot for all those nice words  :* I love you all, guys.

Secondly, I'm feeling much better; Nothing incredibly foul-tasting medicine can't fix, eh? I still go through very weird phases such as sudden exhaustion and extreme nausea, but they barely last a few minutes.

THIRDLY! Time to start some of those status effects!

STATUS EFFECTS

Status effects are, as the name implies, buffs/debuffs that are inflicted on someone. There's an insanely wide range of those, and it's even possible to make your own. (Custom poisons or evil magic, you get the point). How to apply the status effect is also something very wide as there's a lot of ways you can get one. Basically, this list is the "pre-made effects" list, removing the need for a thorough description of the effects of a spell or attack each time.

Application of a Status Effect

- Getting hit by a Status Effect Bullet (Doesn't make you lose a life, but inflicts a status effect instead. Probably the less expensive way, FP wise.)
- Being stuck in an AoE inflicting area. (Think poison clouds or larger scale magical statuses)
- Grazing a bullet that contains a Status Effect. If you do get hit, not only will you lose a life, but you may also get the Status Effect anyway, depending on what it is.
- Other specific means that usually comes logically along with the Status Effect itself.

As a general rule, whenever you're afflicted by a Status Effect, you do a Resolution roll to see how badly it affects you, if at all.

Status Effects

Name: Death
Effect: Cause a 2 turn countdown (based on the afflicted's turns) in which the character is infected/afflicted/targeted by anything that slowly goes through him or is about to, making it a race against the clock unless cured or prevented. Out of battle, since the body is more calm, the turns are counted in spans of 15 minutes.
Resolution Roll: Will extend the number of turns required for it to activate, or completely negate the effect.
Removal at Death: Yes.

Name: Sleep
Effect: Cause the character to fall asleep for a certain amount of time. Each turn, the player must roll the dice to determine if they wake up; A positive result means they do, a negative result means they don't. A 0 cause them to be half-awake, halving all of their rolls for this turn. The character can be woken up by others, making them do an additional wake-up roll for their turn.
Resolution Roll: Can grant a small bonus at each dice roll, or completely negate the effect.

Name: Sleepwalking
Effect: A very rare effect, it can only be induced by a specific thing (flaw trait, relics, curse, etc) or by special persons with sleep-related ability. It causes the sleeping target to be under the user's control, making them act as controllable allies. Furthermore, they cannot wake up on their own; They must either be woken up with a wake-up roll by another player or upon losing a life.
Resolution Roll: Technically, none. It's impossible to resist.

Name: Paralysis
Effect: A fearsome effect, it completely paralyses the character, making them unable to act, but still fully aware. Works with a set duration (usually short), but also includes a dice roll after half the duration, which allows them to break free earlier than usual.
Resolution Roll: Reduces the duration, or completely negates the effect.

Name: Root
Effect: The target is ensnared, preventing them from moving and switching between air and ground. (Depending on the cause itself and the conditions) Allows them to attack, but prevents any movement or movement-related abilities. Lasts a set amount of turn.
Resolution Roll: None; Uses a Finesse roll instead, to dodge the source of the effect.
Removal at Death: Yes, in some very rare cases, No.

Name: Frozen
Effect: The target is frozen in place through ice-related causes. Prevents any action as well as awareness, but also has its advantage; An attack targeting a frozen target will require a dice roll to see if it harms them (negative, yes, positive, no.) and will shatter their icy prison. Furthermore, a fire source or attack will always thaw them and cause no harm. The target is also immune to ice and water attacks or spells.
Resolution Roll: May cause a turn limit to the status or completely negate the effect.
Removal at Death: Explained in the effect section.

Name: Slow
Effects: The target is slowed down, halving is moving and flying speed, preventing any form of escape. Furthermore, his initiative is halved and he cannot do any form of double actions. (Double casting or double attacks, for example). Even worse, any spells cast will activate a turn later and take up their second turn. Lasts a certain amount of turns, or spans of 10 minutes while outside battle.
Resolution Roll: May reduce the number of turns required for the effect to dissipate, or completely negate the effects.
Removal at Death: No.

Name: Berserk
Effects: The target is unable to differentiate friends from foes and attacks indiscriminately any target randomly. A dice roll done by the GM will determine who is targeted.However, the user gains a +2 in Might and Will. The effects lasts a specific amount of turns. Once out of battle, the target will simply attack anything nearby, or do nothing in a single spot if there's no one to attack.
Resolution Roll: Can reduce the number of turns the affliction lasts if cast by an enemy, or give bonuses when rolling for the target when cast by an ally. Can also completely negate the effect, regardless of the caster.
Removal at Death: No.

Name: Confusion
Effects: The target can only use basic attacks. During each of his turns, he must roll a dice to determine who he attacks; Negative means he attacks his allies, positive means he attacks the enemies and 0 means he attacks himself, in which case a resolution roll is done to determine if he managed to wound himself enough to lose a life. In case of a lack of ally, any negative result is considered a self-attack with a +50 % bonus to the result of the roll. Lasts a specific amount of turns.
Resolution Roll: Reduces the duration or completely negates the effect.
Removal at Death: Yes, in some very rare cases, No.

Name: Blindness
Effects: Prevents any form of sight, thus making the target unable to aim or dodge properly. Any evasion or accuracy roll is stripped of any bonuses, and is considered an "Instinct" roll. (Instinct Bonuses/Penalties can be given, in which case they will affect this roll). Furthermore, the victim is unable to see and may cause injuries to himself through many means, all of which are at the GM's discretion. Lasts a specific amount of turns, or spans of 5 minutes outside of battle.
Resolution Roll: Reduces the duration of the effect, or completely negates the effect.

Name: Jiang-Shi
Effects: A very very very rare status effect, it can only be inflicted through the bite of a Jiang-Shi. It has many special effects, which will be listed here, and due to its removal conditions, is a horribly frightening effect.

Positive Effects: The victim gets 3 bonus lives, all of which are taken away once the effect dissipates. The target of this status effect can infect other people.

Negative Effects: The victim is under the control of the Necromancer who put the Seal on his forehead. Any Holy elemental attacks cannot be grazed.

Removal Effects: The effect will dissipate after a set number of turns. If the Seal on the Jiang-Shi is removed, he will receive the Confusion state for 2 turns before being able to control his actions. A very important factor of this status is that if the afflicted victim loses all of its lives, it becomes a Jiang-Shi permanently and upon removing the Seal, will simply go into Confusion without any chances of controlling his actions. Once he becomes a Jiang-Shi forever, he can control his actions, but must always act upon his master's desires. The master cannot drive a Jiang-Shi to self-harm to make it lose its lives in order to become a real Jiang-Shi.

Resolution Roll: None. Cannot be resisted under any means.
Removal at Death: I find that part hilariously ironic.

That's the first part. I probably forgot a lot, so suggest things and give me your opinions on the current statuses.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #706 on: December 23, 2012, 01:13:13 AM »
Eeeeh....I really don't like the Jiang-Shi effect. That's essentially a death certificate for any character right there to me.
Everything else seems okay though.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #707 on: December 23, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
I find it more than a bit ironic that the first thing you do after recovering from debilitating illness is post a chapter on status effects. :V

And good compromise on the severity of the Jiang-Shi effect there.

I'm not sure how this makes sense with Yoshika being made as a necromancy experiment rather than a secondary jiang-shi though.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #708 on: December 23, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
Eeeeh....I really don't like the Jiang-Shi effect. That's essentially a death certificate for any character right there to me.
Everything else seems okay though.

Jiang-Shis won't ALWAYS try to bite you; It's not as if every of their attacks was infected. This status is more of a ''Don't fuck with Jiang-Shis'' and a way to follow the traditional legend. I'm 98 % sure nobody will go around, infecting people with this to rule the world-

Oh wait. Seiga.

I find it more than a bit ironic that the first thing you do after recovering from debilitating illness is post a chapter on status effects. :V

I swear I almost wrote ''Ikari's Disease: Effects; You can't update your fucking thread, GTFO to bed.'' as a listed status.

I'm not sure how this makes sense with Yoshika being made as a necromancy experiment rather than a secondary jiang-shi though.

Yoshika was "made" by Seiga, and well know Seiga broke soooo many rules of her own canon.

Besides, the whole infection and "Permanent if death ensues" thing is from the direct Jiang-Shi mythology, so it makes more sense than trying to respect Yoshika's infinite list of what doesn't make her a real Jiang-Shi.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #709 on: December 23, 2012, 02:05:05 AM »
Do jiang-shi work the same way that Western vampires are traditionally told to work, in that you have to nom them wholly dry before they turn? Or is it more-recent infectious-bite modern-zombie type stuff?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #710 on: December 23, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »
Do jiang-shi work the same way that Western vampires are traditionally told to work, in that you have to nom them wholly dry before they turn? Or is it more-recent infectious-bite modern-zombie type stuff?

If I'm not mistaken, their bites are poisonous, turning humans (and in our case, youkais as well) into Jiang-Shis after a single (but thorough) nom (As in, barely making a very minor scratch on the skin won't do anything). Since it's a simple "venom", it dissipates fairly quickly, usually in less than an hour or two.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #711 on: December 23, 2012, 02:14:53 AM »
Ahhhhhh, okay.

I take it secondary-infection jiang-shi don't immediately have joint problems?

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #712 on: December 23, 2012, 02:15:47 AM »
Good to have you back Ikari. Hope you had a good rest.

First of all, that Jiang-Shi status effect scares the shit out of me. Secondly, now that status ailments are up, I would like to discuss with you (via PM) about a certain mechanic for one of my characters. I'm assuming that positive status effects will come later so I'll wait for other questions to be asked later.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #713 on: December 23, 2012, 02:30:53 AM »
I take it secondary-infection jiang-shi don't immediately have joint problems?

Yep, that's what I was going for when I didn't mention it, as well as the 2 turns cooldown to go back to normal; Secondary Jiang-Shis brains aren't rotten and their limbs didn't go stiff yet.

Thanks! I actually slept 6 hours to get back from my 16 hours sleep. It did wonders, strangely.

First of all, that Jiang-Shi status effect scares the shit out of me.

Doesn't it? It's very very scary. At least, you get 3 bonus lives when you are infected. The whole moral of the story is; Don't go hang around Jiang-Shis alone. I think that the status effect explains why I don't allow a starting Jiang-Shi class. Imagine the possibilities... *shudders*

Secondly, now that status ailments are up, I would like to discuss with you (via PM) about a certain mechanic for one of my characters. I'm assuming that positive status effects will come later so I'll wait for other questions to be asked later.

Feel free to PM me about anything! It's probably the most efficient way to ask more specific and complex questions, as well as making sure I won't skip over it accidentally or forget to answer it. Positive status effects will indeed be covered later, but if you've already got a question in mind, go on ahead and ask it, to make sure you get a clear answer.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #714 on: December 23, 2012, 02:52:13 AM »
Can jiang-shi infect ghosts?

Can jiang-shi infect western vampires?

I take it constructs/artifact spirits are immune to jiang-shi bites?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #715 on: December 23, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
Can jiang-shi infect ghosts?

Not really, as ghosts can't die anyway.

Can jiang-shi infect western vampires?

I... I don't know. I mean, we're talking about Touhou here, our only reference is Remilia. (Since Flandie never goes out) And god knows Remilia isn't the most reliable source. Are they undead like the original Dracula? Are they not-undead like more popular vampires? Everyone in Touhou keeps poking fun at Remilia with undead jokes, yet she denies them / insults them back. Thing is, is that in pride, snark, or honesty?

I take it constructs/artifact spirits are immune to jiang-shi bites?

The main advantage of a construct / Artifact Spirit is that they are completely immune to any physical illness and poisons (Like ghosts and poltergeists). Since the Jiang-Shi bite works with poison, they are indeed immune. That's also why I personally find the Kogasa X Yoshika pairing to be adorabubble.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:21:08 AM by Ikari »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #716 on: December 23, 2012, 03:03:45 AM »
>Yoshika is a forgetful zombie

>Yuyuko is a forgetful ghost

>They're immune to each other's power

OTP.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #717 on: December 23, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »
>Yoshika is a forgetful zombie
>Yuyuko is a forgetful ghost
>They're immune to each other's power

...This makes a surprising amount of sense.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for positive statuses? (Or more negative?)

« Reply #718 on: December 23, 2012, 03:30:44 AM »
a negative status from me
amnesia: The affected being cant use spells or spellcards and outside of battle has a hard time remembering stuff until this effect wears off

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #719 on: December 23, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »
Impulse: Target being must subconsciously follow certain influences on their train of thought until effect wears off/influencer leaves/etc.

Out-of-body experience: Your soul is temporarily jarred from your body, leaving your spirit doubly vulnerable to magical effects and your body inert. Plus side: Your spirit can waltz through walls and other barriers until the condition is fixed.

Possessed: Exactly what it sounds like. Roll opposed die for each party: Winning party decides where the body wanders next. On a tie, a compromise of varying awkwardness is reached, whether for horror or comedy.

Irradiated: Exactly what it sounds like. How much of a problem this is depends on how soon you can get to Eirin and whether or not you are a creature that even physically gives a crap about things like nuclear fallout.

Jealous: Your character is jealous of someone for some reason and said character will stop at NOTHING to acquire what they have, regardless of who or what gets in the way, until the effect wears off. Cries of "PARU PARU~" optional.