Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212905 times)

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #660 on: December 21, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »
Really? i thought it was a global ban on spells for humans. well, give one, take one, and i like what i got.  :V

You could be right, but I'm assuming everyone has something since this is Gensokyo. Besides, humans can become youkai eventually, so you may get spells later anyway if you decide to become a youkai.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #661 on: December 21, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »
Not sure about the skill allocation, I think Ikari removed that part about humans getting 5 extra points. Other than that it seems fine. Just to clarify, you have one primary ability and up to 2 secondary traits, but for every secondary trait you need a flaw trait. I'm not sure which is which in yours but that can be solved by labeling it :derp:. Try to add spellcards and spells. Spells don't always refer to magic and can be any attack that your character can use that's not a normal attack (ninjitsu in your case). Everything seems fine though besides that.

Pretty sure the humans getting extra skill points is/was a holdover from the original author's experience with various D&D editions. :V

This reminded me of a conversation I had before. How come there are no ninja or samurai girls in Gensokyo?

Uhhhh, Youmu, dude? :derp:

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #662 on: December 21, 2012, 06:00:22 AM »
Uhhhh, Youmu, dude? :derp:

She's technically a gardener. Also I wouldn't count her as a samurai either, but that's debatable.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot about Meira. Guess samurai do exist in Gensokyo, but no ninjas.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:43:46 AM by Genso »

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #663 on: December 21, 2012, 06:07:40 AM »
Pretty sure the humans getting extra skill points is/was a holdover from the original author's experience with various D&D editions. :V

I'll assume thats a yes then, so yay. XD

Youmu Sort of counts, kinda a 50/50 there.

« Reply #664 on: December 21, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Yuzuki drawn in your style seeing as how you have had a lot more practice at drawing than me as I only started drawing again recently , though I will be going to college on a Art Course after the Summer though hopefully. That and I'd just like to see her drawn in your style, when your able too of course.

Can do I'm going to give everyones sheets a thorough read so I can get a clear idea of there Character and try to draw from the impression I get for the most part.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #665 on: December 21, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »
Oh god this thread.

Yesterday, my body decided to celebrate my release from school by completely dying. I went to sleep at 5 PM, only to wake up today at 11. I thus learned that sleeping 18 hours fucks up your mind and coordination. I am completely stoned with whatever sleep gave me. I'll try to answer things, but I can't remember most of the questions. So I'll just say this;

Post 2 includes a nice table of contents for 90 % of the questions I was asked so far. Please check out the corresponding sections before asking anything. If they still don't answer you (or aren't clear), ask away.

Humans don't get the +5 skill points (as we completely removed the skill system in a way), but instead start with a Level 5 in one category as well as having a job in the human village. (If it tickles your fancy). Edit: Also they get 3 other skill points to spend.

As for the character sheets, I'll go through them today. Since I cannot remember who made who, I'll make a next post (or an edit, whatever) listing the character names and stuff instead of your username.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:47:13 PM by Ikari »

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #666 on: December 21, 2012, 05:33:47 PM »
Sorry for double posting, but since this thread moves at the speed of light, making an edit would probably end with it getting lost.

Kake Josei: Great character and organization on the Word document. Since you've already got an artifact and spells, I consider your fan points spent. The rest is perfect, and you can consider your character sheet pretty much complete and usable. (Since ghosts don't have much of a starting inventory, you don't need to do one)

Sarutana Morikage: Oooh, I love your character. Well made, the traits are original too. The only two things you have left to do is to re-allocate your skill points by giving you a level 5 skill, then spending 3 bonus points. Note that while this is slightly weaker than the original human effect (and that luck of gods was removed), skill points are much harder to get now, so a level 5 skill is godly. The second thing is, you haven't really spent your Fan Points, so maybe give yourself Ninjutsu/Gadgets spells?

Misora Hinonami: Traits and spells don't have a defined effect, so allow me to give them some, and you'll tell me if that suits you, kay?

Traits

Accelerated Movement: Allows Misora to act first in every battles, regardless of her Cunning stat

Physical Endurance: +1 hitbox when targeted by a physical attack. (includes thrown objects, for example)

Magic Vulnerability: -1 hitbox when targeted by a magical attack.

Spells

Wind Fist (8 FP): Causes her attack to be imbued with the element of Wind and has different effects depending on how the opponent dodges. Has a 3 turns cooldown.
- Dodge: Causes a 2 meter knockback, as well as a slight disorientation that causes a -1 accuracy for its next attack
- Graze: Causes a 3 meter knockback and stuns the opponent, making him skip his next turn.
- Hit: 4 meter knockback, as well as the usual life lost.

Blast of Wind (7 FP): Distracts the opponent and makes him lose his concentration, giving him a -1 penalty in accuracy and evasion until his turn. A basic attack follow-up can be done after casting this spell. Has a 2 turns cooldown.

If you were to accept those traits and spells, your Fan Points would be spent, and you'd have very little left to do until your character sheet is considered completed.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #667 on: December 21, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
Come to think of it, Minako would probably act first in most battles as well, due to her 6 Cunning, and the 2-point bonus from the racial.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #668 on: December 21, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »
Yeah, but that's the advantage of a Primary Trait. In the end, you'd just be second against one particular character. I doubt that wrecks your character, right?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #669 on: December 21, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
That's kosher with me. Acting as fast as possible's always nice.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #670 on: December 21, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
Indeed. Furthermore, think of the possibilities; Acting first means you can choose how to react when faced with an opponent; Running away is much easier when it's the very first thing that happens, right?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #671 on: December 21, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »
Yup. So being able to act first in almost any other situation when someone with a trait like Misora's isn't involved is always nice.
Admittedly, Aya will probably have a similar trait come to think of it.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #672 on: December 21, 2012, 06:18:53 PM »
The other advantage with a high cunning stat is the ability to cast your spells first.

Also I'm wondering if we should change the whole Stage Limit thing on spells to turn cooldown and time restriction.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #673 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
Cooldown works for me.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #674 on: December 21, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
Oh wow, didnt expect an response like that. glad i satisfied. XD

Still, i can get 'magic'? Sweet~
Actually, i'll throw up some ideas i had here, im still iffy on balance so mind giving these a grade? thanks ^^:

-Dark Magic-
Tsushigiri - Shadow Slash
A Darkness elemented melee strike from darkness, used with Gokujin.
On hit, it curses the target with Slow and a -1 to mental atributes.

-Illusionary Magic-
Kawarimi - 'Misdirection' (A smoke spell that gives sarutana precious time to misdirect an enemy. Can be as sterotypical as throwing his jacket on a log and bailing, or can be as complicated as dumping his equpiment on an enemy to fool foes into beliving ally is enemy.)

Kage Bunshin - 'Shadow Doppleganger' (A spell to play tribute to the 'repuation of Ninjas'. Summons a illusionary Doppleganger (Emualating as a real person) to disorient and distract foes. Can be combined with Kawarimi for a 'fake death', used to mask an attack amongst many other uses. Cannot Inflict damage normally.)

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #675 on: December 21, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
-Dark Magic-
Tsushigiri - Shadow Slash
A Darkness elemented melee strike from darkness, used with Gokujin.
On hit, it curses the target with Slow and a -1 to mental atributes.

-Illusionary Magic-
Kawarimi - 'Misdirection' (A smoke spell that gives sarutana precious time to misdirect an enemy. Can be as sterotypical as throwing his jacket on a log and bailing, or can be as complicated as dumping his equpiment on an enemy to fool foes into beliving ally is enemy.)

Kage Bunshin - 'Shadow Doppleganger' (A spell to play tribute to the 'repuation of Ninjas'. Summons a illusionary Doppleganger (Emualating as a real person) to disorient and distract foes. Can be combined with Kawarimi for a 'fake death', used to mask an attack amongst many other uses. Cannot Inflict damage normally.)

Shadow Slash is a good idea, though I'd define what Slow and mental attributes are. Also note that a hit means a life lost, and is rather hard to land, compared to grazing, which implies contact without losing a life.

Misdirection and Shadow Doppleganger are excellent ideas, but they'd have high costs due to their very wide variety of effects. In the end, I think your starting 15 FP could only serve as getting Shadow Slash and one of the other two.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #676 on: December 21, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure he's using the stereotypical Slow effect like from Final Fantasy.
Or Decrease AGI for the more RO inclined.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #677 on: December 21, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
There's no slow effect? Sorry, will fix that!

-Idea Corner-
Slow - Lower Initiative to roll them back on the turn counter or less actions?
Mental Attributes - Resolution, Will and Cunning.

As for the spells, I'd take Shadow Slash and Misdirection.

(Yeah, meant what hanzo said.)

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #678 on: December 21, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »
There's no slow effect? eep, sorry!

...*Suddenly opens eyes, filled with the light of the Dharma*

STATUS EFFECTS. THAT'S THE DAMN PART I FORGOT TO DO! I KNEW IT! *calms down* Hey, thanks for reminding me!

-Idea Corner-
Slow - Lower Initiative to roll them back on the turn counter or less actions?
Mental Attributes - Resolution, Will and Cunning.

Could do all of those, and would be considered a Slow status:

- Halves moving/Flying speed, usually preventing any form of escape.
- Halves initiatie
- Prevents double castings
- Causes any spells to activate a turn later

And good idea for the Mental Attributes!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #679 on: December 21, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
...*Suddenly opens eyes, filled with the light of the Dharma*

STATUS EFFECTS. THAT'S THE DAMN PART I FORGOT TO DO! I KNEW IT! *calms down* Hey, thanks for reminding me!

Hey, No problem! Do you need any help, just curious?

Could do all of those, and would be considered a Slow status:

- Halves moving/Flying speed, usually preventing any form of escape.
- Halves initiatie
- Prevents double castings
- Causes any spells to activate a turn later

And good idea for the Mental Attributes!

Owch, thats really nasty.
Fits that kind of effect is slapped onto my sabotage/Assassination move.  :V
It miiiight need a little balancing, but i say stress test it first.

I thought the book implied it, sorry to be kind of a derp and take a random leap.  :derp:

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #680 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »
Owch, thats really nasty.
Fits that kind of effect is slapped onto my sabotage/Assassination move.  :V
It miiiight need a little balancing, but i say stress test it first.

Well, it does seem pretty nasty on paper, but isn't THAT bad in practice. How many people regularly double cast things or cast spells non-stop?

I thought the book implied it, sorry to be kind of a derp and take a random leap.  :derp:

...The original pdf did list a few status effects, so I'm even more derp for forgetting that vital part of gameplay.

Hey, No problem! Do you need any help, just curious?

Of course, help will be tremendously welcome in that part. In my opinion, we should go over status effects little by little and then re-make a huge post containing them all for the table of contents.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #681 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
Well, it does seem pretty nasty on paper, but isn't THAT bad in practice. How many people regularly double cast things or cast spells non-stop?
Point made! it would be too exhausting. Might prevent a uber last word gank, and the day is saaaved~ :V

...The original pdf did list a few status effects, so I'm even more derp for forgetting that vital part of gameplay.
Meant the attribute alignments (Fluff statements sort of state 'this is the mental defense!' for resolve, etc.) but didn't know that. Its all good, we all make mistakes. XD

Of course, help will be tremendously welcome in that part. In my opinion, we should go over status effects little by little and then re-make a huge post containing them all for the table of contents.
Alright, sounds good! Here, Skype or otherwise, there shall be discussion!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #682 on: December 21, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Point made! it would be too exhausting. Might prevent a uber last word gank, and the day is saaaved~ :V

lol raymoo u kant yuz ur fantehzy heevunz wat ur gona doo

Meant the attribute alignments (Fluff statements sort of state 'this is the mental defense!' for resolve, etc.) but didn't know that. Its all good, we all make mistakes. XD

Indeed, as I also realized I forgot many other parts of the game, such as Ex-Modes. :fail:

Alright, sounds good! Here, Skype or otherwise, there shall be discussion!

We could start it on this thread, since there are a few obvious ones, but Skype could be useful too.

Speaking of which, to everyone, my skype is dancing.moogle  :D Don't you judge me for the name- DAMNIT I CAN HEAR YOU ALL JUDGING ME!  >:(

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #683 on: December 21, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
Heh. Moogle. Nice. Always wondered why their designs changed so much.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #684 on: December 21, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »
lol raymoo u kant yuz ur fantehzy heevunz wat ur gona doo
'imma chaeng da ruelz so eye ween.'

Indeed, as I also realized I forgot many other parts of the game, such as Ex-Modes. :fail:

Not like you've kind of been shouldering plenty of the 'Rule correction train' thing. For free. You get a fuck up card. many of those.

We could start it on this thread, since there are a few obvious ones, but Skype could be useful too.

Speaking of which, to everyone, my skype is dancing.moogle  :D Don't you judge me for the name- DAMNIT I CAN HEAR YOU ALL JUDGING ME!  >:(
Not judged. Its kinda cool actually. Moogles are awesome. Like mog, mog was a definition of awesome.  :3

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #685 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
I just find it funny how it's the only username I've ever had in my entire life that doesn't have the number 6 in it.

'imma chaeng da ruelz so eye ween.'

nu dunt doo dat, ur cheetinz wit ur plawt armroawr

Heh. Moogle. Nice. Always wondered why their designs changed so much.

Never really understood either. I always loved the more poofball versions, rather than the humanoid, though. They're just so HNNNNNNNNG.

Anyway, should I explain Ex-Modes, which is a completely new function I added that will remain obscure until level 5? Seems pointless for now.

I'll start listing the basic effects then post them on here.

« Reply #686 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
Yes Ikari those would be fine. So is there anything else i need to do is it fine for now

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #687 on: December 21, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
Yes Ikari those would be fine. So is there anything else i need to do is it fine for now

Uuuh, I think you're set for now. I might be wrong, as I've got a terrible, terrible headache right now.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #688 on: December 21, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
nu dunt doo dat, ur cheetinz wit ur plawt armroawr
'Muahahahaha, zun sho ez briebd'

Anyway, should I explain Ex-Modes, which is a completely new function I added that will remain obscure until level 5? Seems pointless for now.
Yeeeah, best to chill for right now. no need to introduce a new mechanic until we're ready. XD

« Reply #689 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
so will the enemy layout be the same as normal or will that be changed for this. An example would be the ordinary fairies or kedamas