Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212080 times)

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #510 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
Ikari Ikari Ikari!

Regarding youkai-as-mikos, do you still remember my idea for an Avatar class/perk/whatever?

I do! I'll explain it later through the special classes thing. Now shush! This is a secret extra!  :o

I seem to recall something to the effect of Youkai Faith being sufficient enough.
It's like food. Fancy Food(Human Faith) may taste better, but Normal FoodYoukai Faith) is just as good for satisfying your stomach when you need it.
Well, her whole reason for moving to Gensokyo in the first place was because they were running out of Faith.

Well, that makes sense. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm still making human faith worth more than youkai faith, though, because god knows the results of an all-youkai god.

Still, good point! We're one stop closer to canon now :D

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #511 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »
There's already an example as it is. Kanako. And indirectly, Suwako.
The majority of their faith comes from the Mountain Youkai, and it's implied due to the most recent game that the Human Villagers just don't care about the Moriya shrine much.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #512 on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
I don't actually recall people ever differentiating youkai and human faith anywhere; Kanako is incredibly blaz? regarding tradition (I mean she's a god that encourages the scientific method ffs) and claims that faith can be gained simply by interacting in a friendly way with ones' subjects (partying and drinking with them), with no mention of the subjects' species.

I don't really get why you want to make youkai faith be worth less than human faith.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:31:13 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

The Hating Hater

• What's the deal?
  • YO~!
« Reply #513 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
Well, this is how far I got for one of my characters. I think I got something wrong though.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #514 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
Indeed, but Kanako does have an obsession over getting human faith, proving that they prefer it over youkai faith. I'll have to look this up... I may as well ditch it for now, until proof of the opposite. Humans = Youkai faith.

the Human Villagers just don't care about the Moriya shrine much.

Doesn't prevent Sanae from trying

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #515 on: December 19, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
Indeed, but Kanako does have an obsession over getting human faith, proving that they prefer it over youkai faith. I'll have to look this up... I may as well ditch it for now, until proof of the opposite.

I theorize it's because humans are squishier and shorter-lived, and therefore are more desperate for help and therefore likely to be more fervent and faithful.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #516 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Indeed, but Kanako does have an obsession over getting human faith, proving that they prefer it over youkai faith. I'll have to look this up... I may as well ditch it for now, until proof of the opposite. Humans = Youkai faith.
I think she has an obsession in getting faith, period. It's probably just that the humans are the only large group left for her to try; she already have the kappa and the tengu, which are the only other two large, concentrated groups in Gensokyo. Getting faith from the individual youkai from all around Gensokyo would probably be too troublesome.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #517 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
The way I see it, it's like chocolate. Sure, there's different kinds of it, but different people have a preference for different types and brands.
Take me for example, I'm partial to the Godiva Dark w/Raspberry Filling. But my kid sis prefers the more typical Crunch, or Kit Kats.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #518 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
I think she has an obsession in getting faith, period. It's probably just that the humans are the only large group left for her to try; she already have the kappa and the tengu, which are the only other two large, concentrated groups in Gensokyo. Getting faith from the individual youkai from all around Gensokyo would probably be too troublesome.

True dat.

I theorize it's because humans are squishier and shorter-lived, and therefore are more desperate for help and therefore likely to be more fervent and faithful.

And they probably need help when it comes to youkai-related issue-*is pushed away*

Sanae: YOUKAI? WHERE??? MUST EXTERMINAAAATE! FOR FAITH! AND FRUITS! TEE-HEE!

Well, this is how far I got for one of my characters. I think I got something wrong though.

The info is great and the idea is original. Plus, your spells are flawless. The only problem is giving your traits a concrete effect in the game, rather than just a name.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #519 on: December 19, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
There'll be plenty of opportunities for touhou music during the sessions though. :V
I just felt we needed something that was suitable for a 'New Adventure', y'know?
yeah I suppose thats true, though to be honest, not really too keen on that song specifically, not saying its bad or anything, just not a fan of it.

And while we're on the subject of music, methinks this might actually be a good opportunity to get a soundtrack for our game sessions sorted out :V

right off the bat I have Our Hisouten Soku extended cut! I have no idea were we can use it but I'm sure we can come up with something, its just too epic not to use it! :P

I seem to recall something to the effect of Youkai Faith being sufficient enough.
It's like food. Fancy Food(Human Faith) may taste better, but Normal FoodYoukai Faith) is just as good for satisfying your stomach when you need it.
Well, her whole reason for moving to Gensokyo in the first place was because they were running out of Faith.
Yeah, I do remember Sanae saying to Reimu in one of her MoF endings that exact thing.

''Can a youkai be a Miko?''

Sorry, but that's nowhere near possible. Hardworking Mikos who form a strong bond with gods cause their shrine to become a real youkai repellent, so it's physically impossible. What IS possible, however, is that a youkai becomes the servant or close friend of a god and helps him out and serves him. It's a very touchy relationship because youkai's faith don't give any faith points to the gods, so miracles have to be out of sheer generosity or rewards. Gods by themselves also usually hunt youkais and are meant to be the ''higher ones'' for humans only.
Well I guess saying "Miko" was a bad example of what I'm trying to do, I guess I should have said "Youkai with Miko-like abilities" or something along those lines, like for example, the magic she would use wouldn't exactly be holy magic per-say, but rather more like some kind of psudo-holy magic, like I was gonna have the character be a healer mainly, basing it off of a character from a MMO I've been playing for a few days now, I've even got a Moon Rabbit Character that's based off another character form the same MMO, but I'll talk about her later, and the character in question is essentially the Priest Class, so I guess my real question is, "How could you incorperate Holy magic into a Youkai when Youkai can't exactly use Holy Magic? :V" though I have a feeling you guys are gonna say "Light Magic" which is probably the closest thing to Holy magic Youkai can use I guess.

The way I see it, it's like chocolate. Sure, there's different kinds of it, but different people have a preference for different types and brands.
Take me for example, I'm partial to the Godiva Dark w/Raspberry Filling. But my kid sis prefers the more typical Crunch, or Kit Kats.

I prefer Kit Cat Chunky Caramel myself :V
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #520 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
One of the chocolate types that I adore above all else though, is White Chocolate. There's just something soothing about the smooth, slightly sweet flavor.
And you'll see that as a common trait amongst most of my characters. Them having similar tastes in food as I do. (With the exception of one, but we'll discuss her later. She's the black sheep of the group.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #521 on: December 19, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
Obviously you guys have no taste in music. Everyone knows every song HAS to be a remix of Hartmann's youkai girl.

I'm kidding...subconciously~

Well I guess saying "Miko" was a bad example of what I'm trying to do, I guess I should have said "Youkai with Miko-like abilities" or something along those lines, like for example, the magic she would use wouldn't exactly be holy magic per-say, but rather more like some kind of psudo-holy magic, like I was gonna have the character be a healer mainly, basing it off of a character from a MMO I've been playing for a few days now, I've even got a Moon Rabbit Character that's based off another character form the same MMO, but I'll talk about her later, and the character in question is essentially the Priest Class, so I guess my real question is, "How could you incorperate Holy magic into a Youkai when Youkai can't exactly use Holy Magic? :V" though I have a feeling you guys are gonna say "Light Magic" which is probably the closest thing to Holy magic Youkai can use I guess.

Oh, youkai CAN use holy magic. There's the exorcism side of holy magic, and the heaing/buff/support side of holy magic. Obviously, youkai can use the latter but not the first one.

Miko = magic that comes from the god, which is not holy magic by itself. Their powers ARE usually related to exorcism due to their duties, so that's why it seems like ''holy magic = exorcism = Miko''.

While we're on food notes, I am going to break canon in a very EVULZ way.

Everybody will need some form of sustenance, be it faith, food, or humans.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #522 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
Given that Remi gets semi-"kosher" food for herself and Flandre through Yukari (freshly-imported would-be suicides from the outside world), I don't think that's *entirely* a dealbreaker.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #523 on: December 19, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
I meant the very very BS rule that magicians does not require food.

That makes no sense in many ways, as Byakuren and Alice are implied to eat. (If only for the hell of it), as well as Patchouli for mysterious reasons.

Soooo, that would be a gamebreaker (as it would break the artifact spirits power) and thus, magicians need food.

« Reply #524 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »
Humans with there belief, fears and imagination unintentionally created all gods and Youkai so the source is cleaner.

chocolate? CHOCOLATE!!!

also don't poach my only advantage grrr, magicians these days!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:02:49 PM by FoxTide »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #525 on: December 19, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »
That's true. And some types, such as the spider I'm working on, dines that way.

Hang-on, would-be suicides...I wonder if they come from that one forest. Aokigahara was it?
I have wanted to explore that place anyhow, so maybe if Gensokyo really does exist then..

Anyhow, it's been implied that they don't actually need to eat. But rather, that they eat more for the flavor(Patchy?), to be polite(Alice when she has guests), or out of some belief in keeping a bit of their humanity(Byakuren).
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #526 on: December 19, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »
I meant the very very BS rule that magicians does not require food.

That makes no sense in many ways, as Byakuren and Alice are implied to eat. (If only for the hell of it), as well as Patchouli for mysterious reasons.

Soooo, that would be a gamebreaker (as it would break the artifact spirits power) and thus, magicians need food.

I thought magicians basically subsisted on raw magic. Maybe they need to cast a certain spell/sit on a leyline and eat raw mana like candy every so often?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #527 on: December 19, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
I thought magicians basically subsisted on raw magic. Maybe they need to cast a certain spell/sit on a leyline and eat raw mana like candy every so often?

I really wonder. It's explicit that they don't *need* food, but the mana thing needs to be worked on.

Goddamnit ZUN, you and your weird rules.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #528 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
Obviously you guys have no taste in music. Everyone knows every song HAS to be a remix of Hartmann's youkai girl.

Ya mean like this? :V

Oh, youkai CAN use holy magic. There's the exorcism side of holy magic, and the heaing/buff/support side of holy magic. Obviously, youkai can use the latter but not the first one.

MY CHARACTER CONCEPT IS SAFE THANK GOD! that's all I needed to know!

Everybody will need some form of sustenance, be it faith, food, or humans.
I can't remember exactly what it was I read, but I do remember reading somewhere in the official written works that Patchouli said that Youkai can live off a diet of nothing but some bread and a glass of water every once in a while if they, or something like that though I think that might have just been magician Youkai or something I can't remember exactly.

Also, ther Perfect Memento in Strict Sense Article on Magicians states:
In the case of those who were originally human, in continuing their study of magic, it is when they learn "abandon food" magic (*3) that they become magicians.

3: Magic that allows you to compensate for not eating food via magic power. It can only be used on oneself.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #529 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »
Also, tradeoff for being a magician = frequent exposure to arsenic/mercury/phosphorus etc or cashing in one's soul.

I think we basically need to rethink the Magician class from the ground up a little. ZUN doesn't go into much depth about them, probably because they're the most "human" youkai in Gensokyo and therefore are relatively mundane by the standards of the natives.

Also, what Zork said. Told ya there was a mana-food spell.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #530 on: December 19, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
when in doubt, look up Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Symposium of Post-mysticism and maybe Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red :V

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #531 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
Ya mean like this? :V

...Is that... Is that a jazz remix of Hartmann's Youkai Girl...?

INSTANT LEVEL 99 :I
INFINITE FP
MARRY ME

Erm, I mean, thankies <3

MY CHARACTER CONCEPT IS SAFE THANK IKARI, OUR ALL POWERFUL LEADER! that's all I needed to know!

Fix'd.

live off a diet of nothing but some bread and a glass of water every once in a while if they, or something like that though I think that might have just been magician Youkai or something I can't remember exactly.

I thought that was phase 1 of becoming an hermit or something too. Anyway~

Also, ther Perfect Memento in Strict Sense Article on Magicians states:

Well damn. Ikari still loves food, so forget about him not eating.

I'll give a magician page too, because it seems to be a very complex case. I wrote an essay about Gensokyo's magicians once for school, so eh.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #532 on: December 19, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
Well, I've already said how I see things. They can eat, but they generally don't need to. They do eat for their own personal reasons though, which I illustrated prior.
Hell, even if I was a Magician myself, I'd still gorge myself on sweets.
Speaking of that, it's kinda like I have the Hakurei Orbs myself. I eat, and eat, and eat, but never really get fat. But that's for another thread, eh?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #533 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »
how much of the adventure are we going to spend eating anyway? (aside of the fests of course)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:17:48 PM by FoxTide »

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #534 on: December 19, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
...Is that... Is that a jazz remix of Hartmann's Youkai Girl...?

INSTANT LEVEL 99 :I
INFINITE FP
MARRY ME

Erm, I mean, thankies <3

I lol'd XD

also speaking of Perfect Memento in Strict Sense and Symposium of Post-mysticism, perhaps we should include the friendship/Danger Levels of our characters like the ones that have been included in both those works

heres SoPM's as an example:

I lol'd when I saw Utsuho's friendship/danger level XD

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #535 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
@Zork: Well, I don't think it should be an obligation on the character sheet, but hey, let's discuss it here!

...I think I'll write my own Ikari SoPM article for the hell of it later.

Ikari Kanashimi

Human Frienship Level: High; He treats them like his equal and is always up to helping them using his magic.

Danger Level: Medium; He won't attack anyone without being challenged or provoked, but he is prone to mood swings in real battles, which may end up in collateral damage.

« Reply #536 on: December 19, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »
wait what nitori so dangerous?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #537 on: December 19, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
wait what nitori so dangerous?

She still drowns, eats and ass-rapes people for their Shirikodama. She's a Kappa anyway.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #538 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
@Zork: Well, I don't think it should be an obligation on the character sheet, but hey, let's discuss it here!

...I think I'll write my own Ikari SoPM article for the hell of it later.

Ikari Kanashimi

Human Frienship Level: High; He treats them like his equal and is always up to helping them using his magic.

Danger Level: Medium; He won't attack anyone without being challenged or provoked, but he is prone to mood swings in real battles, which may end up in collateral damage.

That isn't actually a bad idea actually, I might do one for Yuzuki later too, though I was also thinking that once the pdf is made, we could also make some kind of wiki for resources such as character sheet download and a Character info archive, and it could also be used for SoPM and BAiJR articles too.

She still drowns, eats and ass-rapes people for their Shirikodama. She's a Kappa anyway.
Pretty much this, heck one of her Spell Cards in DS, she uses Shirikodama's as danmaku!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #539 on: December 19, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
That isn't actually a bad idea actually, I might do one for Yuzuki later too, though I was also thinking that once the pdf is made, we could also make some kind of wiki for resources such as character sheet download and a Character info archive, and it could also be used for SoPM and BAiJR articles too.

This would be an amazing idea. We could also put the Aya/Hatate Articles, the scenarios, etc.... We could even do it before the pdf, as a compilation of everything we have here would be great. I am getting lost in all the character sheets ;__;

YOU ARE DEM GENIUS.

Pretty much this, heck one of her Spell Cards in DS, she uses Shirikodama's as danmaku!

Aya and Hatate's commentaries made it ever so disturbing too.