Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 213442 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »
Ohhhhh, okay.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »
although that does bring up the fact that human PC's could have the option to become a Ware-Hakutaku willingly if they want, once they find out how. Or unwillingly, if say for example, they get cursed by another Ware-Hakutaku cos they pissed it off or something :V though the transformation would take say, a full incident to become permanent thus giving them that amount of time to find a way to reverse it.

Edited this into my previous post and just bringing it to the next page so it doesn't get missed :V

also, PC = Player Character, just fyi.
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »
There's also the possible option for them to become Magicians as well. That's a canon thing too.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »
EDIT: Also. Another thing about Minako? She gets....'weird' when she's past her booze limit.

Oh this sounds fantastic.

There's also the possible option for them to become Magicians as well. That's a canon thing too.

Yep, that's actually in the human class description, back in the thread.

''Humans have a lot of potential when it comes to becoming something else. They start with a -4 penalties in starting stat points, but get a +6 the moment they stop being a "normal" human''

So, were-hakutakus, hermits, youkai, magician, blablabla, that's how it works. Plus, they'd gain abilities, of course.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2012, 12:32:12 AM »
Yeah, she's pretty normal otherwise. Still trying to hammer out her power and all though.

On another note that's mildly relevant to you guys, I just don't get how pasuism is so popular. If you want cute, Aoshi does it better.
I mean, they're just doodled heads. I'll be frank with you, it's getting just a mite creepy having all those heads staring at me in nearly every thread I visit.
Nevermind some of the more insistent members coming off as a bit creepy in their insistence(I don't care if they ain't trying to be, but they still are.).
Sorry if I come off jerkish, but this is the best way I could word it, and I've been wanting to find out about this thing that's been nagging at me to find out the reason behind.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
It's easily exploitable for humor and they look cute in a derpy sort of way.

And if anyone's pressuring you to join they're probably just saying it in jest to poke fun at how the concept just sort of exploded here. :P

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2012, 12:35:23 AM »
On another note that's mildly relevant to you guys, I just don't get how pasuism is so popular. If you want cute, Aoshi does it better.
I mean, they're just doodled heads. I'll be frank with you, it's getting just a mite creepy having all those heads staring at me in nearly every thread I visit.

That's totally why I photoshopped mine on a Koishi picture. It brings a whole new shade of creepiness.

Nevermind some of the more insistent members coming off as a bit creepy in their insistence(I don't care if they ain't trying to be, but they still are.).
Sorry if I come off jerkish, but this is the best way I could word it, and I've been wanting to find out about this thing that's been nagging at me to find out the reason behind.

Yeah, I kinda get what you mean. It's mostly a tongue-in-cheek obsession, but I do agree some of them, especially on the Pasu thread are... taking it a bit too seriously >_>

Suikama's game was just hilarious though.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »
Sorry if I came across as too strong in the Pasu thread, on that note. I just couldn't pass up the chance to make a cutesified reference to System Shock 2. :V

And yes, Suikama's game was a hoot.

WOLOLO~

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »
Sorry if I came across as too strong in the Pasu thread, on that note. I just couldn't pass up the chance to make a cutesified reference to System Shock 2. :V

Oh I wasn't referring to you in particular, I meant... *goes back to the pasu thread*

Purvosan.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm just not seeing it. I ain't getting pressured, but seeing a lot of folks with the pasuvatars acting sorta cult-ish is kinda creepy too.
Like, legit creepy. I understand the humor aspect, but still. Creeps me the fuck out.
Also wondering just what's up with Purvis' posts there. I mean, he's already hard to peg as it is, but those are totally new levels of mind-bogglingly confusing jargon and lingo and whatnot. I don't think he's on board with the pasuism, he'd have a pasuvatar otherwise. I think he's somehow making his own commentary on everyone falling into the fad in his own mind-numbingly weird way.

On another note, new laptop! Next time you see me, I'll be using a brand-new one! Gahahaha! So much to do to get it ready for my use though.
Eh, Win8, but that's what shell-swapping is for.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:38 AM »
Pretty sure Purvosan is just putting on his best GlaDOS imitation for humor's sake there. :V

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:44 AM »
*coughcatheadavatarcultcough*

:)

Latest works
The Strongest

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm just not seeing it. I ain't getting pressured, but seeing a lot of folks with the pasuvatars acting sorta cult-ish is kinda creepy too.
Like, legit creepy. I understand the humor aspect, but still. Creeps me the fuck out.

Most of the pasuheads are cute until you stare too long in their eyes.
Deep, dark, soulless eyes...

Anyway, sorry for creeping you out :ohdear: I'll try to find a christmas Koi-Koi avatar or something.

I'll try to update this thread with, y'know, actual stuff soon xD

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2012, 12:49:38 AM »
That's totally why I photoshopped mine on a Koishi picture. It brings a whole new shade of creepiness.

I did it cos I thought it looked hilarious XD

Yeah, I kinda get what you mean. It's mostly a tongue-in-cheek obsession, but I do agree some of them, especially on the Pasu thread are... taking it a bit too seriously >_>
Pretty much this

Suikama's game was just hilarious though.
My mind still goes derp when I think of that game :V

Anyway, sorry for creeping you out :ohdear: I'll try to find a christmas Koi-Koi avatar or something.

I'll probibly just christmasaffy my pasu or something :V

I'll try to update this thread with, y'know, actual stuff soon xD

Yeah, cos I noticed you guys went REALLY off topic, and without me?! *RAEGFAEC!!!!!*

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2012, 01:06:21 AM »
Done! New avatar, AND a weird signature/Title! You made me lose my icon as a fellow pasuist, you better be grateful >:c

SCENARIOS

Surprise! It's not spells! :P

Anyway the original Pdf DOES have a "How to make a scenario" but it's very very silly. It's basically a thing full of points, bonus lives, and cut in stages.

I DO understand the desire to look as much as possible like the original Touhou games, but really? Points and stages in an rpg? What?

I may not be an expert, but here's how to make a fun playing session without actually having a whole ''To do'' plan prepared.

1) The Incidento! : Basically the bread-and-butter of Touhou, it's the story of someone who does something and it somehow pisses some people off, but not everyone, so people fight and shit happens. Yeah, it's the basic scenario, but here's how it should happen if you do decide to make a pre-made incident;

- Do not start the day/game as the start of the incident and give a briefing and go ''Now you guys solve this!''. You must start the game as any other normal game would, then show in a subtle (or not) way the effects of a weird incidents, making players decide whether they solve it, prevent people from solving it, or just do other stuff.

- Encourage players to participate by making it worthwhile. Nobody wants to risk their asses to solve some dangerous incident if the reward is just ''Well, that's done, so bye bye!''

- Don't have a pre-set reward unless they're useful in general or make a lot of sense. Nobody wants to finish an incident, get a reward then realize that, would you just look at that, it's completely worthless to their character. Either give multiple reward options, or just make the one who gives them out make the players suggest what they'd want. It's not that hard, really.

- Don't push the player toward the right direction constantly, AKA don't hold their hands like you were their mom. Gensokyo isn't that huge, let them figure it out.

2) The DIY Incident

That one is tricky, because you can't choose that. The players do. Either one of them makes an incident, and the others stop him, or vice versa, or they all team up and NPC attacks them, basically, a or multiple player(s) will cause an incident. It can be really fun, and a battle between two players for a battle that has great implications is insanely exciting for all of you competition fans. There aren't rules, but rather things to avoid.

- Not being successful isn't failing, because chances are, if your incident would flat-out destroy Gensokyo, I can think of a few HAX characters that will go tell you personally how they feel about it. Think of creating an incident as a strategical survival as long as you can.

3) The Regular Day

Why not? Gensokyo isn't ALWAYS incidents, for Various Shinto Gods' sake, let the players have a few days of normal-ness where they can just do whatever they want for fun. Not only can that end up in a DIY incident, but it can cause some great character development.

Please note that those are suggestions and recommendations, not an absolute code of conduct. If you want to handle things differently, or end up hosting a game with players who have a strong preference for a thing or another, don't push that specific part in their faces while yelling ''YOU BROKE DAH RULEZ''. The whole goal is to have fun, and fun can come out of any of those 3 scenarios.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:18 AM »
Done! New avatar, AND a weird signature/Title! You made me lose my icon as a fellow pasuist, you better be grateful >:c

SCENARIOS

Surprise! It's not spells! :P

Anyway the original Pdf DOES have a "How to make a scenario" but it's very very silly. It's basically a thing full of points, bonus lives, and cut in stages.

I DO understand the desire to look as much as possible like the original Touhou games, but really? Points and stages in an rpg? What?

I may not be an expert, but here's how to make a fun playing session without actually having a whole ''To do'' plan prepared.

1) The Incidento! : Basically the bread-and-butter of Touhou, it's the story of someone who does something and it somehow pisses some people off, but not everyone, so people fight and shit happens. Yeah, it's the basic scenario, but here's how it should happen if you do decide to make a pre-made incident;

- Do not start the day/game as the start of the incident and give a briefing and go ''Now you guys solve this!''. You must start the game as any other normal game would, then show in a subtle (or not) way the effects of a weird incidents, making players decide whether they solve it, prevent people from solving it, or just do other stuff.

- Encourage players to participate by making it worthwhile. Nobody wants to risk their asses to solve some dangerous incident if the reward is just ''Well, that's done, so bye bye!''

- Don't have a pre-set reward unless they're useful in general or make a lot of sense. Nobody wants to finish an incident, get a reward then realize that, would you just look at that, it's completely worthless to their character. Either give multiple reward options, or just make the one who gives them out make the players suggest what they'd want. It's not that hard, really.

- Don't push the player toward the right direction constantly, AKA don't hold their hands like you were their mom. Gensokyo isn't that huge, let them figure it out.

2) The DIY Incident

That one is tricky, because you can't choose that. The players do. Either one of them makes an incident, and the others stop him, or vice versa, or they all team up and NPC attacks them, basically, a or multiple player(s) will cause an incident. It can be really fun, and a battle between two players for a battle that has great implications is insanely exciting for all of you competition fans. There aren't rules, but rather things to avoid.

- Not being successful isn't failing, because chances are, if your incident would flat-out destroy Gensokyo, I can think of a few HAX characters that will go tell you personally how they feel about it. Think of creating an incident as a strategical survival as long as you can.

3) The Regular Day

Why not? Gensokyo isn't ALWAYS incidents, for Various Shinto Gods' sake, let the players have a few days of normal-ness where they can just do whatever they want for fun. Not only can that end up in a DIY incident, but it can cause some great character development.

Please note that those are suggestions and recommendations, not an absolute code of conduct. If you want to handle things differently, or end up hosting a game with players who have a strong preference for a thing or another, don't push that specific part in their faces while yelling ''YOU BROKE DAH RULEZ''. The whole goal is to have fun, and fun can come out of any of those 3 scenarios.
I'd also like to recommend watching the Touhou Fantasy Kaleidoscope animations too as those are probably the most accurate depiction of how a Incident actually gets resolved, just watch the first one to see what I mean. Also the reaosn I like them is because they stay pretty true to the source material.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:28:10 AM by Zork787 »

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »
I'd also like to recommend watching the Touhou Fantasy Kaleidoscope animations too as those are probably the most accurate depiction of how a Incident actually gets resolved, just watch the first one to see what I mean. Also the reaosn I like them is because they stay pretty true to the source material.

Yeah, although I have an even better (In my opinion!) suggestion, and that is the Fantasy Maiden Wars story. It's not a clear depiction of how incidents happen in (the older) Touhous, but it's a good example of how to make an interesting incident.

I mean, EoSD, PCB and IN were pretty much ''Oops, no idea where I'm going, let's just beat up people'' then suddenly ''Hey look, the culprit's hideout!''

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »

Wonder when the second, third, and fourth ones will come out. One of my favorite animations. Kinema-Kan's are also good. Also, since scenarios have come up as a topic, I won't post the story about Kagami's hatred for vampires like I promised until an actual incident  ;). I'll be much better as a filler during an incident. YEEEEAAAA for character development and traumatic past revealation!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »
Since I'm very excited at the thought of making you guys play, let's get some MORE progress!

SPELLS

Spells are a...special case, to say the least. I made 2 categories. Because god damn do I love categories. Be aware that they pretty much function the same way in general, but are treated differently.

Magician Spells: Spells that magicians or youkai use that are the clich? of a magic spell, and what is commonly depicted as ''Magician's magic''. It requires a chant (either mutter it incomprehensibly or do like Ikari and make up big, loud dramatic chants) and uses the basic ability that is magic. Not every youkai can do this particular kind of magic as it's the kind of magic you get out of research.

Youkai Magic: A vague case of magic, it's basically magical abilities used by youkais. Nekomatas' curses, rabbits' hexes, Kashas' necromancy, those kind of things. They don't need chanting (not that it changes something, to be honest) and use the actual abilities of the youkai in an innate way.

Now, let's go for actual kinds of magic!

Elemental Magic: Magic that uses elements of nature in a more controlled way, it works like the traditional wheel of weakness/strength you see in rpgs. I'm not going to make a specific list of weakness/strength because it's a very touchy thing. Just use logic and remember that elemental magic can be nullified or countered using another kind of elemental magic. For example, water can douse fire, but will be frozen by ice.

Note that this include Light and Darkness in a literal sense, and is not to be confused with Dark and Holy magic later on. It also includes more ephemeral concept like Life magic, as it is some form of Nature magic.

Dark Magic: Anything related to curses and such, it's the traditional magic of nekomatas, usually causing status effects or other bad things. It's less of a direct offense and more strategic, but can also do more brutal things like shooting orbs of dark energy.

Holy Magic: Light magic, it's usually used by priests or Mikos, which acts as a counter to dark magic and necromancy. It's usually used as Youkai Sealing Magic and is a common ''Human'' kind of magic. It's also special in the sense that a human can use it through the means of sacred tools like enchanted amulets and such. It can also take the form of blessings and counters to Dark Magic.

Necromancy: Necromancy is a magic that revolves around the dead, resurrecting corpses, toying with souls, etc. It's a rather powerful kind of magic, and is thus rarely used. It's also heavily frowned upon by many people, as disturbing the dead is a very, very immoral thing.

Illusionary Magic: Usually related to Kitsunes, Illusions are spells that revolve around tricking the enemy and using the minds of those around you to your advantage, sometime even helping your allies. (By covering up a phobia they have, for example) It can range from a simple afterimage to a full blown out mind-control or invisibility, but it's a kind of magic that can be resisted or ignored by sharper minds.

Summoning Magic: The act of summoning any creatures, may it be magical beings or gods. This isn't the kind of magic you can just cast like any other and usually requires rituals. It also includes loosely the act of animating objects.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2012, 02:11:50 AM »
Reading the spells, I've just realised, while I have the theme for Yuzuki's magic and spell cards, Astrology, nailed, I never actually though about just WHAT kind of magic she uses.  :V

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2012, 02:13:56 AM »
Reading the spells, I've just realised, while I have the theme for Yuzuki's magic and spell cards, Astrology, nailed, I never actually though about just WHAT kind of magic she uses.  :V

Weeeell, it's all about how she uses it :3

- If she summons constellations (chinese zodiac, or just a plain old BEAR), it would be summoning.

- If she uses blasts of light stars, it's technically light magic.

- Etc, etc, etc.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2012, 03:39:01 AM »
Weeeell, it's all about how she uses it :3

- If she summons constellations (chinese zodiac, or just a plain old BEAR), it would be summoning.

- If she uses blasts of light stars, it's technically light magic.

- Etc, etc, etc.
Yeah, She'll probably use a variety of different Elemental types as well as summoning for summoning the Constellations and the Chinese Zodiac among other things such as creatures made of stars and so on, though the summoning part will mainly reside with Spell Card use as Summoning takes quite a lot of effort on her part and cause her to get tired rather quickly. So she'd rather just fight using her Elemental Magics in ways such as creating meteorites to hurl around, creating large psudostars akin to things like White Dwarfs and Yellow Hypergiants and even goes so far as to give them the correct colour when she does so, but the colour is more for aesthetics, which has actually given me an idea for her character but I'll keep it a secret for now :3

And I also had a fun little idea, lets try and see if we can giev our characters some theme music, though I doubt any of us are composers, so just pick a piece of music that you think fits the character, or better yet, if it was a piece of music that helped inspire the character, then you can consider that there theme music! And the music doesn't HAVE to be from Zuns Music CD's (i.e Magical Astronomy, Changeability of Strange Dream, ect), could be anything really, just not to use a piece of music that's already a characters theme if you can :V (i.e Love Colored Master Spark, Gensokyo Millennium: History of the Moon, Necrofantasia, ect). :V

For Yuzuki, Celestial Wizardry ~ Magical Astronomy is her theme as that was the track that helped me decide to make Yuzuki themed around Astrology as well as have her ability be "Ability to gaze into Deep Space" and would probably be the music you hear when you fight her if she was in one of the Shooters (if I knew how to do Danmakufu, I'd just do that :V)

The Hating Hater

• What's the deal?
  • YO~!
« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2012, 03:45:18 AM »
Oi, what spells would apply with Celestials?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »
I've actually browsed themes and thought that Ikari can't have 1 theme, what's with multiple personas and all.

His sad side would definitely be Ultimate Truth, happy theme would be MoF Stage 3, Angry theme would be white noise with garbled satanic chants.

I guess his regular theme would be Last remote. Sadness, yet passion, all together in one theme.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2012, 04:18:26 AM »
I guess I would go with Magical Astronomy as well.  This version of Greenwich in the Sky came to mind (although the original is fine) since it fits with Kagami since she likes to go stargazing. Maribel also manipulated a boundary using the reflection of the moon during the Magical Astronomy story, so I thought that it was a good piece of trivia. Also, the intervals during some parts seem to be mirrored (you may notice it if you reverse the song).

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »
I've actually browsed themes and thought that Ikari can't have 1 theme, what's with multiple personas and all.

His sad side would definitely be Ultimate Truth, happy theme would be MoF Stage 3, Angry theme would be white noise with garbled satanic chants.

I guess his regular theme would be Last remote. Sadness, yet passion, all together in one theme.

Maybe try to find a theme that fits a character with multiple persona's, though it might end up being something a bit on the chaotic side, but hopefully that would work for Ikari.

I guess I would go with Magical Astronomy as well.  This version of Greenwich in the Sky came to mind (although the original is fine) since it fits with Kagami since she likes to go stargazing. Maribel also manipulated a boundary using the reflection of the moon during the Magical Astronomy story, so I thought that it was a good piece of trivia. Also, the intervals during some parts seem to be mirrored (you may notice it if you reverse the song).

That's actually a pretty cool remix of Greenwich in the Sky if I do say so myself, and I'll need to try listening to it in reverse at some point.

And I just realised that Yuzuki's backstory could be a god damn novel there's that much too it! And the version I'm writing on the character sheet is the SHORT version! :V

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2012, 05:45:13 AM »
Well that arrange of greenwich in the sky was awesome <333

This be my Ikari remix of Last Remote! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFKKVlE06mk

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2012, 05:54:12 AM »
Dat Avatar~ By the way, how far are you in your bio and is it the entire history or your character to be able to be a short story?

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »
Dat Avatar~ By the way, how far are you in your bio and is it the entire history or your character to be able to be a short story?
Well in the Bio I'm mainly outlining the important parts of her life, but, SO MUCH DETAIL!!!!

Also I think Celestial Wizardry ~ Magical Astronomy will be the theme that represent's Yuzuki's more Astronautic side, now to find some music that represents her more Magical Side.

And I think I found it! :3
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:25:43 AM by Zork787 »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »
Oh, uh, also, would Enhancement Magic fall under Light or Dark Magic?