Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212068 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
Is the yurei/onryo idea still a good one, Ikari?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:38 AM »
Go for it, we can all see how it fits after all.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
Is the yurei/onryo idea still a good one, Ikari?
Seems pretty cool, I agree with hanzo and say go for it.

As for Yuyuko, I do believe she is a Bourei type, which according to Perfect Memento in Strict Sense:
The souls of the dead who don't realize that they have died or whose unwillingness to recognize death is too strong will be unable to achieve nirvana, becoming ghosts.
Ghosts are different from phantoms, since they keep the appearance they did while alive, can touch and speak, and can't be told apart from a normal human by a casual observer.
Their body temperature isn't low, and the only living things that can become ghosts are humans.
As a large number of ghosts are unable to traverse the river, they remain in the realms of the living, or cross over to the Netherworld or to Hell.
In any case, there is absolutely no chance of reincarnation.
If you become a ghost one day, until you accomplish your objective or your body is ceremoniously buried, you won't achieve nirvana (*1).
Ghosts can easily influence the human heart with just their voices, so it is dangerous to carelessly talk to one.
Ghosts who carry grudges are a particularly dangerous threat, so you should somehow find the body (*2) and have the burial ceremony.
Therefore, a ghost's weak point is its body (*3).
Ghosts hide their corpses and never reveal them to people.
They don't have bodies of flesh, but they aren't as insubstantial as phantoms, so they can touch things.
On the other hand, they find it difficult to pass through objects (*4).
However, since they don't have physical bodies, even if they touch you, they can't harm you.

Though it's probably better to read the whole page on it here or something :V

Also Alliterator, your signature seems to have gone to poop :V
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:16:52 AM by Zork787 »
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #243 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:51 AM »
Yyyyeah, I know, I'm waiting for the randomizer service to refresh my quota sometime within the next several hours. :V

I'll probably write up yurei/onryo material sometime this weekend.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #244 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:35 AM »
Well here it is: Ability to the extent of "Erotica" and "Entertainment"

I know, sounds odd at first. Basically it relies on the principle of "the body is like a temple." Basically it's the concept that the only ones who are allowed to touch Minako are those she wishes "to wither away for." In other words, the only ones who can lay a hand on her are people she likes (probably no one >.>). So as long as she continues to entertain her opponents, she is an untouchable fortress to all attacks. "Entertainment" could be a dance, song,  posing (modeling), etc. That is what I mean by "Erotica," which is something in the "entertainment" that enthralls her opponents. [This ability would only continue as long as Minako can offer the "entertainment."]

Those of you who notice where this power is based from, you got pretty interesting taste, just as I do. I will explain a little more as soon as I make sure you guys get the jist of what I was saying.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
Eeeh, Seeing how pretty much all characters are a fragment of me, I really can't see that working quite well. (For one, I don't feel confident enough to try to translate that to spellcards.)
In a way, she's got a personality that's not unlike Yukari in her whimsical nature. Then again, just about every Youkai over 400 tends towards the whimsical.
Ran excluded, due to being the Comically Serious. Guess I'll just try and come up with something when I get some booze or something. Works for ZUN after all!

EDIT: That, and she's not THAT heavily inspired by Tamamo.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:35:53 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »
Eeeh, Seeing how pretty much all characters are a fragment of me, I really can't see that working quite well. (For one, I don't feel confident enough to try to translate that to spellcards.)
In a way, she's got a personality that's not unlike Yukari in her whimsical nature. Then again, just about every Youkai over 400 tends towards the whimsical.
Ran excluded, due to being the Comically Serious. Guess I'll just try and come up with something when I get some booze or something. Works for ZUN after all!

Thought you'd say that, it's a lot more effective in practice (an actually pretty overpowered in some aspects, i.e. defensive). Anyway, alcohol may be a good choice in this case since all the interesting ideas come from being weird. Think I'll finish up deciding a second character later after I do Kagami's story on why she doesn't like vampires. Good luck.

EDIT: That, and she's not THAT heavily inspired by Tamamo.

Guess that's where I messed up :derp:. I was thinking a little more towards her so yea; although I am curious as to what "fragment" of you, Minako is a part of.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:18:00 AM by Genso »

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »
Well here it is: Ability to the extent of "Erotica" and "Entertainment"

I know, sounds odd at first. Basically it relies on the principle of "the body is like a temple." Basically it's the concept that the only ones who are allowed to touch Minako are those she wishes "to wither away for." In other words, the only ones who can lay a hand on her are people she likes (probably no one >.>). So as long as she continues to entertain her opponents, she is an untouchable fortress to all attacks. "Entertainment" could be a dance, song,  posing (modeling), etc. That is what I mean by "Erotica," which is something in the "entertainment" that enthralls her opponents. [This ability would only continue as long as Minako can offer the "entertainment."]

Those of you who notice where this power is based from, you got pretty interesting taste, just as I do. I will explain a little more as soon as I make sure you guys get the jist of what I was saying.
While I'm not saying this is a bad ability, it's actually kinda interesting if I'm honest, but if it was me, I'd try and come up with a somewhat different word than "Erotica" but still imply a similar meaning, just to be safe, as I believe if you tried to use her in a real DnD tournament and one of the GM's is reviewing your character, they see the word "Erotica" and might either become really sceptical or just outright not let you use her. But I've never actually been to a DnD Tournament before I don't have any idea of what the rules actually are for what words you can use in your character sheet :V

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »
While I'm not saying this is a bad ability, it's actually kinda interesting if I'm honest, but if it was me, I'd try and come up with a somewhat different word than "Erotica" but still imply a similar meaning, just to be safe, as I believe if you tried to use her in a real DnD tournament and one of the GM's is reviewing your character, they see the word "Erotica" and might either become really sceptical or just outright not let you use her. But I've never actually been to a DnD Tournament before I don't have any idea of what the rules actually are for what words you can use in your character sheet :V

I guess that's something I should of thought about, but I'm a blunt person. I just like to ask permission to state my thoughts :derp:. I've never been to a DnD tournament either. Then again I've only played once so that's probably why. Anyway, I normally try to connect ability and personality (as well as name) in order for things to seem to "fit" more naturally. So I'm somewhat subjective (I try not to be) when viewing characters by other people.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2012, 01:49:31 AM »
I think it's an interesting and good idea, except it's a lot too specific to be a power that can be used as a theme for spellcards and stuff  :( Could be a spell or something, but definetely not the whole ''Power'' thing.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »
Yeah, it's a lot broader than I explained, but I needed specific examples for it to actually make sense. Although this was actually just a spur of the moment while playing a certain game. It's easier for me to make a character when I do name and power first so it's a little harder for me to go "backwards" in some cases.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2012, 02:11:06 AM »
What was your inspiration anyway?  :)

Also, I think I can throw a few suggestions...

''Ability to manipulate the relativity of time''. It's special, so bear with me.

See, Kitsunes use illusions. Your character is a carefree, whimsical person. This power, being broad enough to have spellcards related to it, can cause time to go slower or faster, not physically, but rather mentally. I mean, we've all felt like this boring thing lasted hours while it only lasted 15 minutes, or that a whole day flew by in a second, right? The ability to create the illusion of slowness and quickness in relative time in someone's mind could be interesting... It is to me, at least. It fits with her habit of "lazing around" if you will, letting time feel slower so she can enjoy life, and skip the boring moments, without actually affecting time itself.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »

Also, I think I can throw a few suggestions...

''Ability to manipulate the relativity of time''. It's special, so bear with me.

See, Kitsunes use illusions. Your character is a carefree, whimsical person. This power, being broad enough to have spellcards related to it, can cause time to go slower or faster, not physically, but rather mentally. I mean, we've all felt like this boring thing lasted hours while it only lasted 15 minutes, or that a whole day flew by in a second, right? The ability to create the illusion of slowness and quickness in relative time in someone's mind could be interesting... It is to me, at least. It fits with her habit of "lazing around" if you will, letting time feel slower so she can enjoy life, and skip the boring moments, without actually affecting time itself.

While the actual description of the ability is pretty cool, the name makes it sound a lil too much like its a copy of Sakuya's Time Manipulation ability, even though her's is the "Manipulation of the Flow of Time around her" but you can see where I'm coming from though :V

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2012, 02:37:55 AM »
While the actual description of the ability is pretty cool, the name makes it sound a lil too much like its a copy of Sakuya's Time Manipulation ability, even though her's is the "Manipulation of the Flow of Time around her" but you can see where I'm coming from though :V

I know it sounds a lot like Sakuya, but think of the possibilities! :3

- Make someone incredibly tired by making him feel like time has been brought to a standstill

- Make a particular event pass by very fast for someone

- Enjoy a particular moment

It can't be used like Sakuya's powers at all, despite the word ''time'' in it >_> Sakuya's powers affect the world around her save for her personally, while what I'm talking about would do the opposite; Affect someone's mind to FEEL as if time was controlled, while the world actually goes on freely. I know where you get the resemblance idea, I did see it too, but in practice, it couldn't be more different.

Oops, read your comment wrong, you meant the name. Well, it's just a name right? ;-;

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2012, 02:44:22 AM »

Reminds me of Accel World where people can accelerate their minds to 10-1000X their normal range. Similar concept but still a good idea.

*Looks far off deep into the distance* "I'm not sure..." Well I made Kagami during a contest between me and my friend on who can make a believable Touhou character. I made the powers and species and names before anything else then developed background. During this time, I made Kagami (Ungaikyou), Miu (Fallen Angel with one wing), and Yumekuko (a baku) and decided to use Kagami because she was my favorite and is a little like me in a way, personality-wise. After that little contest, she never really got to see the light of day, so I decided to use her her since I still had the profile I made for her. So I guess my inspiration was "being in competition." The idea for her character and ability were from trying to make interesting powers that seemed mundane at first but powerful in actuality. Well that's it for Genso's talk corner. Thank you for your patronage.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:49 AM »

I know it sounds a lot like Sakuya, but think of the possibilities! :3

- Make someone incredibly tired by making him feel like time has been brought to a standstill

- Make a particular event pass by very fast for someone

- Enjoy a particular moment

It can't be used like Sakuya's powers at all, despite the word ''time'' in it >_> Sakuya's powers affect the world around her save for her personally, while what I'm talking about would do the opposite; Affect someone's mind to FEEL as if time was controlled, while the world actually goes on freely. I know where you get the resemblance idea, I did see it too, but in practice, it couldn't be more different.

Oops, read your comment wrong, you meant the name. Well, it's just a name right? ;-;
Haha yeah that true, it is XD

Also how the heck are you guys able to write characters backstories so easilly, I'm still having trouble coming up with Yuzuki's backstory! Though it is coming along slowly. But seriously, can I haz your guys story writing skills or something!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
Also how the heck are you guys able to write characters backstories so easilly, I'm still having trouble coming up with Yuzuki's backstory!

I actually edited Ikari's backstory like... a bazillion times? He's been created for a looong while now and only very recently has I got his backstory the way I like. Aside from that, I always had a knack for characters with mental disorders.

But seriously, can I haz your guys story writing skills or something!

YOU NO TAKE CANDLE WRITING SKILLS!!!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:25 AM »
Also how the heck are you guys able to write characters backstories so easilly

I think it's because I've played a lot of video games; watched lots of anime; read lots of manga, books, and light novels; etc. I never really thought myself as was much of a writer. It just flows for me easily I guess. It's all in details I think.

NOPE.jpg

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:55 AM »
I actually edited Ikari's backstory like... a bazillion times? He's been created for a looong while now and only very recently has I got his backstory the way I like. Aside from that, I always had a knack for characters with mental disorders.
That would happen with a character you've had for a while, though Yuzuki is a relatively new character so that could be why? /shrugface

I think it's because I've played a lot of video games; watched lots of anime; read lots of manga, books, and light novels; etc. I never really thought myself as was much of a writer. It just flows for me easily I guess. It's all in details I think.
Could be the lack of books I've read over the years is finally coming back to bite me in the ass here :V

NOPE.jpg

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #259 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »
That would happen with a character you've had for a while, though Yuzuki is a relatively new character so that could be why? /shrugface

I guess. On the other hand, a mexican youkai named popo who's backstory is that he's a tacos youkai born from a lonely taco bell preeetty much sucks no matter how you make it >_>

Could be the lack of books I've read over the years is finally coming back to bite me in the ass here :V

I've read so many books, my ass is made of PURE TITANIUM :I

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
I guess. On the other hand, a mexican youkai named popo who's backstory is that he's a tacos youkai born from a lonely taco bell preeetty much sucks no matter how you make it >_>
That is fucking TERRIBLE!!! XD

I've read so many books, my ass is made of PURE TITANIUM :I

had to be done!

Anyway, I'm HOPING that I'll finally have this bio done before much longer cos I'd like to possible start working on a new character soon, got a few ideas but nothing too solid at the moment.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2012, 03:25:41 AM »
That is fucking TERRIBLE!!! XD

Meh, can't be worse than my mary sue example earlier in this thread xD What was it again, stephanie lavender-rose goldenheart or something?

had to be done!

Things like this make me laugh, amaze me, then make me wonder where this thread is going. xD

Anyway, I'm HOPING that I'll finally have this bio done before much longer cos I'd like to possible start working on a new character soon, got a few ideas but nothing too solid at the moment.

I think your character is really great so far, so I'm excited to see what it'll be like c:

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2012, 04:02:44 AM »
I think your character is really great so far, so I'm excited to see what it'll be like c:
Well so far I've got about a Page and a half done on her bio, and I'm nowhere near done yet! so hopefully the finished thing won't disappoint.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »
although I am curious as to what "fragment" of you, Minako is a part of.

I think one can guess. Each of my characters, as I said before, are assigned to a different fragment. I have no short supply of those thanks to an....'earlier incident'.
Also how the heck are you guys able to write characters backstories so easilly, I'm still having trouble coming up with Yuzuki's backstory! Though it is coming along slowly. But seriously, can I haz your guys story writing skills or something!

Ahaha, it just happens naturally really. What I like to do is think of the type of Youkai I want them to be, find a 'mental fragment'(for other people, those would be personality facets), then listen to the music you associate with it to put yourself in that mindset, and just write from the heart.
For example, in Hibiki's case, I listen to stuff like this.
For Minako, stuff like this is the order of the day.

''Ability to manipulate the relativity of time''
I kinda like that. It'd take a little hammering to get it to be fully compatible with her after the little rework I did the other night though. Might be doable.
Sadly, I couldn't get any booze because the only booze we found stashed away was this old bottle of bacardi superior rum that hadn't even been opened. Had the original import label and everything. Going by the design, I'd say it was bought back in the 70's-80's. So it's obviously worth something to a collector. *grumble*

Also, fun fact! Hibiki and Minako? Created 'em especially for this.
EDIT: Also. Another thing about Minako? She gets....'weird' when she's past her booze limit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:56:14 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2012, 05:53:19 AM »
Just for the sake of SCIENCE!, what would the rules for a half-youkai be?

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #265 on: December 14, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
I would assume it would be the same as the human class except with different traits. I'm just basing this off Rinnosuke.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »
I would assume it would be the same as the human class except with different traits. I'm just basing this off Rinnosuke.

well reading the trivia section on Rinnosuke
Apparently, he doesn't have any fighting abilities like Reimu or Marisa do, which makes him an ideal character to describe typical daily life in Gensokyo. ZUN has stated in an interview that Rinnosuke isn't the type to use spell cards. Perfect Memento in Strict Sense states that he is not very strong due to a lack of training. Additionally, in a reply to the second question on Gensou Bulletin Board on the date stamped 031212, it was stated that he actually cannot fight with Reimu and other characters using danmaku.
also
Being half-youkai, according to Curiosities of Lotus Asia Chapter 26, Rinnosuke only needs to drink a cup of sake with a couple of side vegetables to provide enough sustenance for a meal. However, full meals are preferred. As stated in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, his life span is longer than a human's. In Curiosities of Lotus Asia Chapter 20, he states he avoids staying in the human village for long because his lack of aging brings unease to the humans there

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »
He pretty much acts human in every way (albeit quirky) is what I meant. there's not much of a difference between him and a random person from the human village.

stuffz*

Can't help but be reminded of Hidefu Kitayan's Rinnosuke manga during the Keine x Rinnosuke parts. Trollsuke, please never change.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #268 on: December 14, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
Maybe just make it like a basic human but with a custom youkai ability added on?

OTOH Keine is also a half-youkai and she a tough cookie in either form, whereas Rinnosuke...Isn't. :V I get the feeling one size isn't going to fit all here.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #269 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
Maybe just make it like a basic human but with a custom youkai ability added on?

OTOH Keine is also a half-youkai and she a tough cookie in either form, whereas Rinnosuke...Isn't. :V I get the feeling one size isn't going to fit all here.

Actually, She's a ware-hakutaku, which is essentially the Japanese equivalent of  a ware-wolf , but was not born as one as she explains to Yukari in Imperishable Night as this explains
Keine fits the description in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense of one who acquired therianthropy, rather than one who was born with it. Her transformation into a were-hakutaku is not a full body-transformation, which she points out to Yukari in Imperishable Night, whereas one who is born as a were-beast takes on a full body beast form during a full moon. If this is the case, it would mean Keine was once human but cursed to be a were-hakutaku.
Taking that into account, she probably still ages like a normal human as she wasn't born a Ware-Hakutaku, but rather became one at some point in her life, weather willingly or not is unknown, although that does bring up the fact that human PC's could have the option to become a Ware-Hakutaku willingly if they want, once they find out how. Or unwillingly, if say for example, they get cursed by another Ware-Hakutaku cos they pissed it off or something :V though the transformation would take say, a full incident to become permanent thus giving them that amount of time to find a way to reverse it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:28:47 AM by Zork787 »