Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 213001 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
All the cons are pretty much stuff I'm still hammering out. So they're less cons, and more 'Things to do'.
As for the spellcards, I've got some much better ones in mind for Minako, mostly bouncing off the use of her tails. (Represented by the Beam and Large Beam modifiers. Possibly with persist as well.)
(You really thought I'd leave the bit about her tails as mere 'fluff'? Think again!)

I'm still working on Hibiki's looks and outfit. I would think that, due to Remi's fondness for 'Instant Cosplay Surprise' on her part, she'd end up with a starting outfit pretty much for free, yeah?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
Let's just agree that we all start with a free outfit. For science.

Also Ikari's updated sheet, go-go!

And finally, yes, it's possible to use a picture instead of a description. Except the picture has to show everything you'd include in your description.

All the cons are pretty much stuff I'm still hammering out. So they're less cons, and more 'Things to do'.

Yeah, I know. I'm just not really good at pointing out bad things unless they're obvious. Have a Kitsune instead.

...How do I do thumbnails anyway?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
Ooh, the classic Red Fox. Very nice. 3-Tail?
If I could get in touch with a friend of mine, I could get some concept art cranked out, then see about one of the artists here doing their own version.
Perhaps Aoshi. I've always liked her Art, so it'd be an honor(to me) for her to draw the likes of Hibiki and Minako.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »
Just for clarification, I didn't draw that. A friend did, and that's her character, Akimi. (Who is heavily different from your Kitsune)

Author notes: She actually has 4 tails, but man, they're a pain to draw. Just imagine a fourth.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
Aaaah. The swordfighter, right? I bet they'd be like a Betty and Veronica kinda matchup. One's the stoic and serious sort, while the other's essentially like Zelos from Tales of Symphonia.
Ironic that the younger of the two is the serious one, eh? (Having 4 tails almost always means you're gonna be younger than one with 8. it's just a mythologically-correct fact.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Holy cow I only started this topic 3 days ago and it's moving so fast aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
True, but isn't it mainly the "Pasu" gang and Hanzo that's making all the comments :derp:.
Anyway here's an updated version of my character. Although I still don't know how many points i have to spend (only 107 pages left to read >.>). Seems everyone elses' is fleshing out quickly. It's tough being in a different time zone. Also what do you guys like/dislike abut my character.

Note: the spellcard section of my character is in the format of Original Kanji (with reading), translated meaning, stage and difficulty (I was thinking in terms of stages when making them because I didn't know how we are supposed to do them), and description (with comments from me)(not finished yet).

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
Aaaah. The swordfighter, right? I bet they'd be like a Betty and Veronica kinda matchup. One's the stoic and serious sort, while the other's essentially like Zelos from Tales of Symphonia.

Hah, excellent comparison. Unless you bring booze, then she'd become quite the crazay foxay.

Ironic that the younger of the two is the serious one, eh? (Having 4 tails almost always means you're gonna be younger than one with 8. it's just a mythologically-correct fact.)

Yep, she's pretty much half her age. It IS ironic  :3

Holy cow I only started this topic 3 days ago and it's moving so fast aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Isn't it? I think it's great <3

Note: the spellcard section of my character is in the format of Original Kanji (with reading), translated meaning, stage and difficulty (I was thinking in terms of stages when making them because I didn't know how we are supposed to do them), and description (with comments from me)(not finished yet).

Ah, I assume you haven't reached the spellcard section of the pdf?

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
NOPE. 182 pages of walls of text is hard to get through.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »

Hah, I agree it is. Well, you'll reach it in due time, I didn't change a lot of things anyway.

About Kagami's special powers...

Super Unlucky: -1 on ALL rolls.

This makes sense, with the whole breaking mirrors thing. Yeah, this could compensate for another thing.

Absolute Reversal: if the the plus and minus die are equal (thus equaling zero), the outcome is flipped to the maximum (five). [reflect minimum to maximim]

Interesting... This power is definitely overpowered if it always activates every time it happens (Trust me, it happens often xD), but yeah, this is a very interesting power.

Exorcism: Stronger Against Spirit and Ghost type Youkai [increases certain spellcards' effectiveness as well]

That is somewhat unclear and it's very complicated to change every spellcards, so I would give you a +1 at aiming and dodging when fighting spirits and ghosts, as it would compensate with her super unlucky trait.

Skill: Fortune Telling

The whole thing is pretty powerful, so it would be a high level spell, but yeah it's fully possible. A very interesting spell.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
Ain't that the truth! though probably when I'm finished this character image I'll give the original PDF a proper read through.

On a character related note, my character uses magic that has astronomy as the theme, such as she uses magic that's related to the planets, stars, galaxies and so on, though I can't think of the right word/term you use, and its driving me nuts! /headdesk
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »
On a character related note, my character uses magic that has astronomy as the theme, such as she uses magic that's related to the planets, stars, galaxies and so on, though I can't think of the right word/term you use, and its driving me nuts! /headdesk

Astrology?

Also *thumbs up* for the idea!

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »
Astrology?

Also *thumbs up* for the idea!
Thats what I was thinking but I wasn't too sure.

Also I can't see anywhere to put the characters actual Special Ability unless thats what the Racial Powers are?

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »
That is somewhat unclear and it's very complicated to change every spellcards, so I would give you a +1 at aiming and dodging when fighting spirits and ghosts, as it would compensate with her super unlucky trait.

I should have been specific here: I meant Kagami's "protective charm" series of spellcards, since they have to do with warding, capturing and sealing spirits/ghosts/etc.

Skill: Fortune Telling

The whole thing is pretty powerful, so it would be a high level spell, but yeah it's fully possible. A very interesting spell.

I meant this as a skill, each increase in level has a different level would add a level of depth to the "prediction."

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
Thats what I was thinking but I wasn't too sure.

Also I can't see anywhere to put the characters actual Special Ability unless thats what the Racial Powers are?

It's the ''Power'' line in the short paragraph at the start.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
Sorry double post >_>

I should have been specific here: I meant Kagami's "protective charm" series of spellcards, since they have to do with warding, capturing and sealing spirits/ghosts/etc.

That, I know, I meant that making spellcards ''more effective'' isn't a concrete effect, and will require you to think of a special Ghost+ effect every time you make a spellcard.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »
182 pages? That's not really a lot for me. But considering I read 1000-page doorstoppers often...Yeah, it evens out.
Hey, not everyone can be a speed-reader after all.

On the matter of the four-tailed fox, I get the feeling she'd end up attending a game between Momiji and Nitori sometime down the road. One that Minako's also attending.
Pop Quiz time! What can you do with A Four-Tailed Kitsune, an Eight-Tailed Kitsune, A Kappa, a White Wolf Tengu, a Dai-Shogi Board, a rubber duck, and copious amounts of booze?
The Answer? I dunno, but where does the rubber duck fit in?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »
Hah xD Well done, good sir.

Quite a number of things I would assume

That, I know, I meant that making spellcards ''more effective'' isn't a concrete effect, and will require you to think of a special Ghost+ effect every time you make a spellcard.

Oh, that is simple then. Since those spells are a "series" the amount added could be different. But learning them will take a while.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »
Oh, that is simple then. Since those spells are a "series" the amount added could be different. But learning them will take a while.

You might want to skip directly to the spellcards section of the pdf >_>

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
[edgeworthbow.gif] But of course. Can't say that I don't know how to apply a trope well after all!
(Even if I sometimes run wild with 'em at times.)

All in all, I should figure things out more later. I think I've even got a family name in mind for Hibiki. (She's forgotten it, but eventually she'll remember.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:28:30 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2012, 12:40:58 AM »
You might want to skip directly to the spellcards section of the pdf >_>

Probably a good idea  :derp:. Do you know what section it's in, it'll be faster than going back all the way to the first page then back...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:01:27 AM by Genso »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »
If you're using adobe or something, you can Ctrl+F spellcard, and just keep going until you find it.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »
Probably a god idea  :derp:. Do you know what section it's in, it'll be faster than going back all the way to the first page then back...

There's also a table of contents around the first page, so it would take 1 minute finding the page, then going to it.

Keep in mind that for now, the only thing that I tweaked with spellcards are that you need a description of what the spellcard does and look like.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:46 AM »
Urg, thinking of my characters personality is haaaaaaaaaard D: I can't really think of a way to describe her personality and it ANNOYS ME!!! =/

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
Hey Ikari, I'm a bit busy at the moment to make a sample character but it seems like you've got an abundance of volunteers anyway. I can still discuss the actual mechanics between now and when I leave for home, though. Is that alright?

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2012, 03:51:01 AM »
Well I got some of my characters chgaracter sheet done, though I still haven't come up with her Personality or Bio yet.

Also here's the image I did of her :3
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:52:51 AM by Zork787 »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Bah...Have I ever told you guys that I suck at using metric? (Why's this book gotta use metric...*grumble*...Makes it a bit more confusing...*grumble*)
Anyhow, I've got most of the two characters I have hammered out, and even expanded a bit more in the case of Hibiki's relations with the SDM crew, including more of the day-to-day things.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
Hey Ikari, I'm a bit busy at the moment to make a sample character but it seems like you've got an abundance of volunteers anyway. I can still discuss the actual mechanics between now and when I leave for home, though. Is that alright?

Yeah, though I won't be able to update this thread much today, if at all. Gotta get something very very important done for tomorrow/tonight.

Also here's the image I did of her :3

Pwetty  :D

Bah...Have I ever told you guys that I suck at using metric? (Why's this book gotta use metric...*grumble*...Makes it a bit more confusing...*grumble*)

Silly 'murica, you and your thumbs and feet.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
Well, guess I oughta get some art done for my characters too.

You'd think that with all the female characters I've created, It'd be prime material for a harem comedy. But it's more like they're fragments of me, y'know?

Also Ikari, what's your take on the updated profiles? Same as before, tell me what you like about 'em, and what you don't.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!