Author Topic: Waifu Wars - A Fan Made Touhou Card Game  (Read 10711 times)

Waifu Wars - A Fan Made Touhou Card Game
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
Ehem. Do excuse this one attempt to relate 'Waifu' to anything. I promise this isn't a power level discussion.

So me and my team got together and made this. Its based off Love Letter and is a simple game meant for 2-4 players. Players draw a card from the deck and add it to their hand, while choosing a card to play. Cards can be used to influence a game, either by eliminating others or protecting yourself from elimination. Play continues until either all but one player is left in the game or the deck is depleted, upon which the player with the highest ranked card wins.

I was wondering any of the members here were interested in having a copy for themselves. Was considering expanding beyond our little Malaysian group and selling it to you guys across the ocean as well.

Feel free to ask questions. Shall do my best to answer them all.

Building Touhou over at the Malaysian Touhou Brigade

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
Re: Waifu Wars - A Fan Made Touhou Card Game
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
Hello and welcome!  I'm running the other card game project on this forum, Danmaku!  This one looks very nice!

I have a few questions for you. They're kinda shop-talk.

Is this a reskin of Love Letter, meaning all the card rules are the same? Or are the rules customized for Touhou?

Your game looks very pretty!  Did you do your own box design and card illustrations?  Is there a way we can see them up close?  Edit: I noticed guuchamas Utsuho there

Is it already in production?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:33:36 PM by Moogs Parfait »

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 04:46:49 AM »
Heya! We've been following your progress as well and are excited to see it being released! There really aren't enough English Touhou tabletops out there :)

This is mostly a reskin, but instead of using affection markers, we've decided to replace them with interchangeable Waifu (Princess) cards. Winners of each round get to keep the Waifu from that round, which is then replaced by another in the set.

Box design was done by our MTB members, agogo and leca. Illustrations were shared among an artist pool, which yes, does include guuchama! Its great to know that artists in these parts are recognisable on a more international scale :)

We did a small print run mostly for the local market early in the year, yes. I'd be happy to share a few of our designs up close.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:48:10 AM by Kairyu »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:25:01 AM »
For a moment the title was making me surround with question marks but then seeing it is a card game made them all go away.  :D

The box design is looking nice.

I guess the elimination means you go pichuun? Are there number of lives or you simply get removed from the game immediately?

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:44:20 AM »
Elimination puts you out of play until the round ends with a winner. Rounds go by pretty quickly and you'll be back in the game by the time the Waifu for that round has been claimed and the next has begun :)

We do have a closed recorded session of game play done when we hosted it privately on Tabletop Simulator, if you'd like to see it in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXdyHcZpaU
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:11:25 AM by Kairyu »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:59:06 AM »
A silly question and I apologise beforehand, but I assume there is only one of each girl in the game right? What if people start arguing about claiming their waifus?  :V

Going to check that link in a moment. Cheers.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
While we do encourage spirited banter among fellow friends and Touhou enthusiasts, this game and the people behind it would like to always remind you to treat players with the utmost respect :P

For the time being, each character is only represented once, yes. We're considering expanding this roster to include more in future~

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
Oh wow you actually captured this clause in your game!? Ha ha ha, brilliant!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
Was inevitable that someone would bring it up eventually~

I notice that Moogs put his game up on TTS sans artworks. How's the response? Do people enjoy playing through that format? Would love to learn what I can from how you've handled your project :)

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:59 PM »
Putting out the Print and Play and TTS version definitely helped us get the word out.  At conventions I had people overhearing me talking about Danmaku and excitedly telling me they'd played the PnP, these were people I'd never spoken to online.  On the other hand, because we got delayed a year though, the game ran its natural course for some players and I don't know if they'll be interested in buying the coming full release.  Some people disliked the fact that we weren't giving our art out for free, but we went into this knowing it would be impossible to please everyone. 

TTS itself is an OK platform for card games, it's slower than real life in a lot of ways.  Remember that ZUN expressly forbids publishing Touhou derived works to any platform that isn't Sony, and the latter I believe you need permission for, similar to being a corporate partner instead of a doujin work.  EDIT: Sorry I forget people don't know what this means.  It means that you can't use the steam workshop to publish a game on TTS, you can distribute a save file though, it is a legal distinction because publishing to the workshop counts as publishing to Steam.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:09:53 AM by Moogs Parfait »

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
TTS itself is an OK platform for card games, it's slower than real life in a lot of ways.  Remember that ZUN expressly forbids publishing Touhou derived works to any platform that isn't Sony, and the latter I believe you need permission for, similar to being a corporate partner instead of a doujin work.  EDIT: Sorry I forget people don't know what this means.  It means that you can't use the steam workshop to publish a game on TTS, you can distribute a save file though, it is a legal distinction because publishing to the workshop counts as publishing to Steam.

You can't put your work on the Steam _Store_. The store and Steam Community (which Workshop is part of) are separate things. The mod workshop is merely a file host and cataloging site. There's little difference between posting your work there and having your work posted on a modding forum or blog, or a site similar to Nexus. Most of the legal stuff in the Steam Subscriber Agreement is supposed to apply to the "content submission" workshop, where you post things for possible inclusion in a commercial game (think the CSGO or Dota 2 workshops). The agreement can be a bit confusing because it doesn't try to make the difference between the two kinds of workshop clear, but basically this is what they can do with your mod:

-Delete it.
-Modify it so that it actually works with workshop.
-Use it as an example of the kind of mods that are submitted there. (which any magazine or TV program can do with any mod posted on the internet anyway)

Also keep in mind that ZUN's guidelines concerning digital distribution are mainly aimed at things that are going to be sold. You have a lot more freedom if you're just distributing things for free. If you're unsure if something you're doing is ok, just add a little note saying that you'll take it down if requested by ZUN or Kourindou, and always make it clear that it's a Touhou fanwork.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:41:38 AM by Romantique Tp »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 04:13:33 PM »
That was not the conclusion we came to a year ago after the whole FSS debacle.  If we want to revisit it on the how-to-doujin thread I am down, as I get asked about publishing to the workshop about once a month.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »
I think we need to reanalyse all the things about Touhou derived guidelines. Especially now that some games are appearing on Sony platform etc.

The sticky thread also needs heavy renewal.