Author Topic: Pokemon Go - Still GOing?!  (Read 7601 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Pokemon Go - Still GOing?!
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:02:03 AM »
Oh man, remember when we all quit Pokemon Go in disappointed disgust? Seems like a lot of people are getting back into it lately. The weather is nice for it, and when someone's cousin's neighbor's brother's dentist's son's friend gets back into it there can be a chain reaction where your friends start playing it so you do too. That's what happened to me, and I've been enjoying it. It's still broken, don't get me wrong, but it's less broken and there's more to do. And the community days are genuinely a blast, raid groups of hundreds of people running from gym to gym or entire downtown areas completely packed with people hunting shiny Eevees really recapture that early PoGo atmosphere and sense of community.

So anyway, I made this thread because the brand new Celebi quest line has a task that wants you to make three new friends. Has anyone around here picked the game back up? Share your friend code if you have so I can get that dang bug. Mine is 8323 8452 6852.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: Pokemon Go - Still GOing?!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:02 AM »
Man I wish I had anyone to play with.  It was a fun way to get myself out and walking but since I had literally no people to play with it lost all appeal.

Good luck to those still playing or qhi pick it back up though!  I'll try to get back into my old account so people can friend it for the questline though.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:31:22 AM »
Yeah, I mostly play by myself but it wouldn't be fun if I didn't have people to play with sometimes. I have a couple of friends who I meet up with once a week or so to do Pokemon Go stuff and it's always a great excuse to hang out and be slightly competitive with each other. Unfortunately one of them always has work during Community Day events, but at least there's trading now so we can make sure she gets whatever the prize is even if she can't make it.

Jq1790

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:35:21 AM »
My code is 0826 7463 0624.  Add away and good luck getting the cute timetraveler~

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:23:54 AM »
I was going to wait for them to implement PvP to make this. I wasn't sure if anyone still wanted to play. Anyway, anyone coming back should know there have been a lot of changes, namely the gym system, raids, and trading.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:16 AM »
Maybe my favorite change is that the tracking system actually works now. That may have been the single most frustrating aspect of the game for me, aside from the constant game-breaking issues and lack of meaningful updates.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 04:22:01 AM »
My code is 0826 7463 0624.  Add away and good luck getting the cute timetraveler~

Request sent!

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 04:50:32 AM »
Maybe my favorite change is that the tracking system actually works now. That may have been the single most frustrating aspect of the game for me, aside from the constant game-breaking issues and lack of meaningful updates.

Yeah, their updates have been pretty solid imo, considering what the game is. Also, my code 9295 4662 4773.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Jq1790

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
Whoops I guess I might be picking this back up slightly after all.  Seems like there is a fair bit to do that might entertain me a little.

Also it seems the front lawn of the apartment building I live in has become a Sunkern breeding ground.  Weird.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:12:53 PM by Jq1790 »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »
We're in Johto Fest right now because Celebi was just released and part of that is a ton of quests that revolve around Sunkern. It was uncommon to rare before but during the event it's super common.

Jq1790

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »
Huh.  That explains all the Hoppip and Woopers and stuff I've been running into as well.

Was amused that I caught a wild Octillery while grabbing lunch, semi-relatedly.  The heck are you doing this far from open water?  I don't think an octopus thing is gonna do well in a tiny stream thing which is the only thing we have in the area.  (I know it isn't ACTUALLY based on regional features which is good for various reasons, but still)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »
Spawns are kind of based on physical location. I don't know the parameters exactly but I know the biomes the game uses to create spawn tables take rivers and beaches into account. My office is near a power plant so it's an industrial biome that spawns a lot of Magnemites which is really neat.

I was by a river earlier that was swarming with Slugmas though, so clearly biomes aren't iron-clad...

Jq1790

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »
Well I guess in their case it's sorta fair because they just need to keep moving in order not to harden up (effectively dying), but traveling near water still seems sorta suspect...

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
I'm happy for you guys, but I swore not to return to PoGo after the way the company ran the game at launch. It's an ever-lasting quest to get an official Pokemon MMO that's half-decent.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »

Still nothing but Slugmas in the river. These are some rough and tumble Slugmas apparently!

Jq1790

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 01:41:53 AM »
Too lazy to grab the pic off my phone but I got my Raikou right before we switch over in 2 days to Entei.  Good stuff!

Also I'm apparently halfway through the Mew quest and have just started unlocking tasks for Celebi so that should be interesting to deal with.

Gotta say I'm loving a lot of this stuff quite a bit.  Having little excuse plot for each step of the Special Research quests is cool too.

Have we gotten anything new as far as plot or canon background for the team leaders?  Lore is always fun for me to look at(See also: PAD's Dragon Caller/Dragonbound storylines, picking up on card connections through pics and skill names, etc)

9/10 e: Congrats on catching Celebi, ccool!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:36:20 PM by Jq1790 »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 12:43:19 AM »
Too lazy to grab the pic off my phone but I got my Raikou right before we switch over in 2 days to Entei.  Good stuff!

Also I'm apparently halfway through the Mew quest and have just started unlocking tasks for Celebi so that should be interesting to deal with.

Gotta say I'm loving a lot of this stuff quite a bit.  Having little excuse plot for each step of the Special Research quests is cool too.

Have we gotten anything new as far as plot or canon background for the team leaders?  Lore is always fun for me to look at(See also: PAD's Dragon Caller/Dragonbound storylines, picking up on card connections through pics and skill names, etc)

9/10 e: Congrats on catching Celebi, ccool!

Unfortunately, nothing that I know of. If I had to guess, Niantic still has its hands full making good on its release promises. I wouldn't be surprised if we heard from them while investigating future mythicals though.
How did you guys do for Chikarita day. It wasn't sunny where I was, so the Chikaritas weren't that great. I ended up evolving a couple Bayleafs I had from before. Got a bunch of shinies though. What about you guys?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 12:48:12 AM »
I ended up with seven shiny Chikoritas, three Mewtwos (I only remember catching two, but apparently a third one snuck in there?), and a ton of experience. And a couple of Lugnut Boy.  :D

Jq1790

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Sadly playing was impossible since my highspeed mobile data was empty until I cycle and my 2G conmection wasnt gonna cut it.  A shame since I was at a con which would have been perfect.

Good on you two though!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
https://pokemonletsgo.pokemon.com/en-us/new-pokemon/

Whaaaat? Lugnut Boy is apparently real. I was 95% sure he was a placeholder graphic.