Author Topic: What happened to Hearthstone?  (Read 8560 times)

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
What happened to Hearthstone?
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
Previous topic: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,16054.0.html

Last post about it was all the way back in June. Thought it was decently popular here. I recently got back in to it again. Mainly playing tavern Brawls and farming quests for gold to buy adventures with. Currently unlocked all of League of Explorers and now I'm going for Blackrock Mountain. I bought the welcome pack bundle and got King Krush as my class legendary.

Thoughts on the new set? It seems fun, but I don't have the dust to play them. Most people are just running stuff over with pirate warrior though.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Re: What happened to Hearthstone?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
Face Shaman killed it for me. The recent format was basically awful and stopped me playing any silly fun decks with any chance of winning at all.

Also I couldn't keep up with the gold treadmill and can't get new cards to actually be competitive.

Like; I could maybe try and get back into it now [But Pirate Warrior would probobly drive me off] but I don't have any of the newer cards past Old Gods.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 04:29:46 AM »
Face Shaman killed it for me. The recent format was basically awful and stopped me playing any silly fun decks with any chance of winning at all.

Also I couldn't keep up with the gold treadmill and can't get new cards to actually be competitive.

Like; I could maybe try and get back into it now [But Pirate Warrior would probobly drive me off] but I don't have any of the newer cards past Old Gods.

Yeah, I understand. After Karazhan, the strong deck went from aggro shaman to midrange shaman. Now pirate warrior is pretty strong, but I'm pretty sure it's either going to get nerfed if people don't find counters. Right now, I've seen people fight it by placing a bunch of taunts in the way.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:50:49 AM »
everyone ditched it for shadowverse

(dont take me seriously please)

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »

Can't say i didn't do that.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »

Free private draft matches are plenty a good reason to ditch hearthstone

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »

That's on my list to try out. That and Faeria. Sometimes I talk about Hearthstone, people will start talking about it too.
Free private draft matches are plenty a good reason to ditch hearthstone

Would you elaborate on that? Is it like Hearthstones arena or is it like MTG drafts.

I recently started doing Arena runs in Hearthstone. I use the Hearth arena app and a friend to help me during the runs. I'd gotten decent results so far, 4 wins on Paladin, 6 wins on Warlock, currently 3-1 with Warrior. I'm also trying to unlock the adventures, but playing arena while having my friend watch, laugh and get tilted with me is more fun.

Getting dust to craft stuff takes forever, I don't know how people do it. Seems like it takes ages to make anything that isn't Zoo/Aggro or Tempo Mage.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
Shadowverse draft gives you two choices of two cards and you pick a pair that goes in your deck. Repeat 14 more times until you have a deck of 30 cards. Works better than Hearthstone drafting because the floor of a deck isn't as low as Hearthstone and it's more rare to get bad picks

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »
Hmm...what do you guys think of Blizzard rotating out specific cards from the classic set. I'm not shocked, because some cards, especially the neutrals are pretty strong compared to the expansions, but I'm not that happy about it. When they started rotating stuff, they said that classic stuff would always be standard, so I'm pretty sure more than a few people have crafted copies of Sylvanas/Ragnaros with that in mind. Going back on that in less than a year's kind of annoying. Making decks, especially more control-oriented ones is already a pain in the ass to begin with, and his is going to make it worse. Personally I blame the fact that people want to farm rank efficiently and can only afford to make one or two decks most of the time for the game feeling stale.

I did try Shadowverse. I actually find it kinda fun. Went through the story mode with a few people. Dub sounds a little weird but it's okay. Cleared Rowen, Isabelle and Luna so far. I don't mean to sound bitter, but I like how I already have almost as many legendaries in the game playing the game 3-5 days for free as in hearthstone, I've been playing since August and have put about $5 in the game.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
I can't get into shadowverse because the mobile port is awful.

Hmm...what do you guys think of Blizzard rotating out specific cards from the classic set.

Really depends entirely on implementation.

If they were interested in providing more frequent balance updates to their game, this would be much less of an issue.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »

The joke is the mobile 'port' was first! So like, everything in it isn't even lack of mobile support.

It's just lack of competent coders and cygames at it's cygamesest.

Edible

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
That is a good joke

:(

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »

Really depends entirely on implementation.

If they were interested in providing more frequent balance updates to their game, this would be much less of an issue.

I'm worried because I'm thinking some of the cards I like are probably going to get rotated/nerfed. Looking stuff like Azure Drakes and Thalnos. I'm also guessing that things lie Gadgetzan Auctioneer and Highmane are probably big targets as well. Which cards seem to be problematic in your experiences?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 06:17:16 AM »
Ditched it for HotS, and then ditched that for Overwatch.

Edible

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
I'm worried because I'm thinking some of the cards I like are probably going to get rotated/nerfed. Looking stuff like Azure Drakes and Thalnos. I'm also guessing that things lie Gadgetzan Auctioneer and Highmane are probably big targets as well. Which cards seem to be problematic in your experiences?

In general, it's less that certain cards are imbalanced (which does happen, but not the specific issue I have here) and more that Blizzard is in a position to frequently make adjustments to card balance, and they routinely choose not to do so.  Making adjustments to cards here and there to provide a different meta experience would be ideal.  As an example, rotating Azure Drake to Wild only serves to further limit the number of decent 5-drops in Hearthstone, but how about making it a 3/4 or a 4/3?  Removing the spellpower or adding the spellpower as a conditional?  Stuff like that.

They also seem to be unwilling to actually buff cards.  Again, going back to the Azure Drake example - right now the only neutral 5-drops to see Standard play are Azure Drake and Leeroy (Second-Rate Bruiser as well, but he's only played because he's often costs 3 instead).  So how about buffing another 5 cost card like Cult Apothecary, or even reduce an underwhelming 6-drop like Burglebot or Wrathion to 5?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
They also seem to be unwilling to actually buff cards.

To the point they just publish power creep instead. [See: Magma Rager v Ice Rager; even if that specific one is a joke other examples exist]

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:52 AM »
So, since I don't know jack about Hearthstone, I want to ask about one thing.

How's the meta in Hearthstone compared to Shadowverse?
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 02:28:17 AM »
So, since I don't know jack about Hearthstone, I want to ask about one thing.

How's the meta in Hearthstone compared to Shadowverse?

Do you enjoy seeing the same 3 decks over and over again? Do you enjoy losing by turn 5? Then Hearthstone is perfect for you! (Disclaimer I haven't played ranked in months)

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 02:50:09 AM »
Do you enjoy seeing the same 3 decks over and over again? Do you enjoy losing by turn 5? Then Hearthstone is perfect for you! (Disclaimer I haven't played ranked in months)

Is it that bad ? I mean, the current Shadow Nepthys Deck that is usual on Ranked isn't anywhere as bad as that...

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:30 AM »
The pirates fit into any deck that has early weapons (Rogue, Shaman, Warrior) so you will see them a lot even in decks that are quite different from one another.   
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
Is it that bad ? I mean, the current Shadow Nepthys Deck that is usual on Ranked isn't anywhere as bad as that...

Shadow Nepthys? I thought most of ladder was Tempo Daria. I think it's less Daria than Levi though. Dude is nuts.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
Shadow Nepthys? I thought most of ladder was Tempo Daria. I think it's less Daria than Levi though. Dude is nuts.

I have seen more Shadow than Rune at games, and most of the times Rune was easier to deal with for me.

PX

• School Idol?

Edible

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »